More Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR III)

Comments

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,303

Griffin Avid said:

All good stuffs displayed.

@Diva that horror one is onto something. I really think that deserves some more exploration.

And when are we getting another character product?

Thank you, Drew! I really like how that came out too, even if I'm not that comfortable with horror-type images. :) 

As for a character, I don't know. There are so many great character artists out there putting out lovely characters, I don't really know what I'd contribute to the market that's not already being provided. I try and look for things that aren't really being made or that there isn't much of, and try and work on that. So I usually end up making things these days that I don't really see being released in the store, like the Silhouettes product and the alien hair. So we'll have to see what I come up with next. lol

• csaacsaa Posts: 815

3Diva said:

Here's an experiment with some different postwork effects. The first is the original render, the second is the postwork version.

@3Diva,

Great post work! Is that Photoshop or Gimp? I also like the earlier horror themed image. I can't recall any G8 figure with that kind of emaciated look. Must be G3, right? The tone looks great as it conveys the mood. The text box could use more highlighting though to give it character, maybe with ghostly white text or any color that stands out -- blood red? laugh

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

edited March 2022

A work in progress ... just throwing together a 3D render and CSP brush work, inspired by manga I've read. The dialog is incidental; it helps ground the illustration in some hastily conceived scenario.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Sgts. Andrea & Inez: Good Advice Pt. 02 | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit.

Post edited by csaa on
  • Did you ever see this comic/sequential art site ? This really cool guys . Not sure how responsive mode work though 

Be aware there is NSFW/nudity image in last page

• juvesatrianijuvesatriani Posts: 556
    edited March 2022

KDA !Stoonkit

Just play with !JS Toon Kit Action to stylized Blender/Cycles Render 

KDA_JSToonKit.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 653K
    Post edited by juvesatriani on
    edited March 2022

Jinx_toonkit

Another one this time using IRAY and JS Toon kit action

Jinkx ToonKit.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 623K

juvesatriani,

Very lovely renders! That JS Toon Kit is quite versatile. Do you use it also with Daz Filament renders?

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

juvesatriani said:

Jinx_toonkit

Another one this time using IRAY and JS Toon kit action

csaa said:

3Diva said:

Here's an experiment with some different postwork effects. The first is the original render, the second is the postwork version.

@3Diva,

Great post work! Is that Photoshop or Gimp? I also like the earlier horror themed image. I can't recall any G8 figure with that kind of emaciated look. Must be G3, right? The tone looks great as it conveys the mood. The text box could use more highlighting though to give it character, maybe with ghostly white text or any color that stands out -- blood red? laugh

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

Thank you! The post-work is Photoshop. The figure in the horror one was G2F. Thanks for the feedback on it. The text box was an afterthought, just to make it more comic-like. But yeah, it definitely would have easier readability with a lighter box background or lighter text. :)

edited March 2022

juvesatriani said:

Did you ever see this comic/sequential art site ? This really cool guys . Not sure how responsive mode work though 

Be aware there is NSFW/nudity image in last page

WHOA! The eyes that follow the mouse pointer is so creepy. I've seen more and more comics that are kind of animated like that. It's really interesting. Seams like it would be a lot of extra work. (Weird side note: The font they picked for that comic is horrible - It's so thin I can barely read it.)

Post edited by 3Diva on

csaa said:

A work in progress ... just throwing together a 3D render and CSP brush work, inspired by manga I've read. The dialog is incidental; it helps ground the illustration in some hastily conceived scenario.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers!

Sgts. Andrea & Inez: Good Advice Pt. 02 | Daz assets and setup | Blender Eevee render | Clip Studio Paint post-edit.

This is cool! Maybe consider zooming in a little - there is a lot of extra white space that seems unnecessary and empty. Zooming in closer would fill the panel better as well as give the readers a more close-up view of the characters to see their faces better. And see more of the nice details. :)

edited March 2022

3Diva, thanks for the feedback. I wanted to get their body language into the scene to underline the confrontation. Hence the wide shot with lots of negative space.

Oftentimes I think in terms of scene fragments, of a sequence of renders conveying a moment in a story. Camera and framing come into play when planning these renders. So this one I shared is the second out of a series. The sequence is: medium shot, wide shot (this one), and finally close up then, lastly, wide shot.

What's the scenario? Two cops, Sgts. Inez and Andrea, march into a crime boss's lair (penthouse office), intending to confront him. The first few panels tell the story from the two polce women's POV, their behavior and their dialog; we see only see fragments of the crime boss, mabye a silhouette or an extreme close up. The next panel after this one I just shared closes in on the crime boss, before zooming out in the long shot to reveal his crew. After that ... a spectacular brawl breaks out and the ladies kick ass! laugh Conflict settled with flying fists and intense gun-fu.

Anyhow this is all in my mind. For now it's just a mental exercise. Maybe someday I'll get down to actually producing the story.

Cheers!

3Diva said:

This is cool! Maybe consider zooming in a little - there is a lot of extra white space that seems unnecessary and empty. Zooming in closer would fill the panel better as well as give the readers a more close-up view of the characters to see their faces better. And see more of the nice details. :)

Post edited by csaa on

@csaa The comic sounds like a LOT OF FUN! I really hope that you decide to produce the story! :)

• vrba79vrba79 Posts: 1,297
    edited March 2022

My Shaders vol 1 was on sale today, so I bought it. Its an Iray set to make NPR stuff. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Post edited by vrba79 on
  • tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,540

Sketchy is on sale today for $3.99.  I finally baught it.  You have to read the pdf to understand it.  I'll post a test soon.

tkdrobert, vrba79

My stash of Sketchy images. I think it's really underappreciated -- misunderstood too! Looking forward to see your renders.

Cheers!

tkdrobert said:

Sketchy is on sale today for $3.99.  I finally baught it.  You have to read the pdf to understand it.  I'll post a test soon.

edited March 2022

My first attempt.

Wolverine Test Sketch by tkdrobert

If I was going to do a full blown image, I'd do some additional line work on the suit and the claws.  I'll have to experiement more with this when I have the time. Lots of psooibilities.  I'd also enhance the colors.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Sketchy is growing on me, but I always like keeping my options open. This is one I did with the "My Shaders vol1"/Postwork combo.

edited March 2022

vrba79 said:

Sketchy is growing on me, but I always like keeping my options open. This is one I did with the "My Shaders vol1"/Postwork combo.

Nice. your NPR work has come a long way.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Here is the same image with some post-work.

Wolverine Test Sketch by tkdrobert

The tool has potential to do some interesting NPR renders, however, it has some of the same problems that the 3Delight tools have.  In other words, post-work is still required for me to be happy with the finished product.  I'll let you all know if I come up with any good tips. 

edited March 2022

Thanks. As best I can tell, postwork is always gonna be part of the equation. In fact some shaders seem to be made with postwork in mind.

Post edited by vrba79 on
    edited March 2022

Cortana and John  Cortana and John NPR by tkdrobert

Original PR and Sketchy NPR renders.

Post edited by tkdrobert on

Sun/Sky plays very well as a lighting method with the "My Shaders" workflow I'm putting together. 

What one of the renders looks like before and after p/w is applied.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

I love her eyes ... what eye set is that?

I wanna say it was one of the ones from the Beautiful eyes for G8 collection.

edited March 2022

@vrba79 @csaa and @tdkrobert , Awesome images !!

Here another experiment  and Direct render ( no postwork this time) using my pwtoon freebie (!JSFlat) . Play with rim Color mode to get nice color gradient in clothes surfaces . BG is simple design and used as Environment Backdrop

!JSFlat _New Rim Color

JS Flat NewB2C.png
    1000 x 1300 - 2M
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331

juvesatriani said:

Here another experiment  and Direct render ( no postwork this time) using my pwtoon freebie (!JSFlat) . Play with rim Color mode to get nice color gradient in clothes surfaces . BG is simple design and used as Environment Backdrop

!JSFlat _New Rim Color

Very nice. I like it very much.

What I'm coming to learn with IRAY, is to really sell the NPR look and feel, you need to exagerate the lighting.

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,787

juvesatriani said:

!JSFlat _New Rim Color

I really like that one ... where does one get the free pwtoon you mention?

edited March 2022

Well PWToon isn't free, and is no longer sold, so if you don't already own it, the preset freebie won't do you any good.

There are other options. DzDefault is halfway decent toon shader that comes with DazStudio. I've worked with it extensively. There's also Visual Style Shaders, which is still for sale. If you want to go the IRAY route, there's Sketchy, and not much else at the moment.

Post edited by vrba79 on