CARRARA CHALLENGE #64: Old egypt..... WIP

Comments

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Khoe said:

a new WIP my scene. It's going very slowly at the moment. There are always missing objects that have to be procured first. I am looking for suitable clothes for women.

Looking impressive so far!

WendyLuvsCatz said:

the runner up entry was a very obvious Midjourney AI render

I saw it immeadiately, they have a certain look

it has now been disqualified and the others moved up a peg

The proverbial tip of the iceberg.

edited October 2022

2022 BC

Most of the focus on this render was on textures and lighting, so the only props are the pyramid and a couple of items from the Shades of Atlantis: Anunnaki outfit by Luthbel.  The right arm of M3 makes a cameo appearance.  Dart's Starry Sky freebie texture on a transparent globe provides some background glitter.

Luthbel is such a great artist.  The outfit was for M4, but even back then Luthbel's products had normal maps.

I modeled the pyramid in Carrara.  My knowledge there is limited, so I used the painfully slow method of extruding the center square of a flattened cube up to the apex of the pyramid,  then extruded the squares around that center square to form the next layer, then the squares around those squares, etc.  Pretty tedious, but it actually worked.

GMIC continues to be my go-to plugin.  Philemo hasn't been around lately, but his gift keeps giving.

No postwork.  I did use PSE to modify one texture map beforehand.

2022 BC.png
    1800 x 1200 - 5M
    2022 BC Carrara setup.JPG
    1636 x 1063 - 246K
    render.png.png
    1800 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

snip

GMIC continues to be my go-to plugin.  Philemo hasn't been around lately, but his gift keeps giving.

hopefully just caught up with life,

so many Carrara regulars MIA

I worry about how many of us there are left and how long we stay above the ground

I not in a hurry to occupy my humble sarcophagus and in my case, burn on the pyre but we don't get a say in that

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,378

UnifiedBrain said:

2022 BC

Most of the focus on this render was on textures and lighting, so the only props are the pyramid and a couple of items from the Shades of Atlantis: Anunnaki outfit by Luthbel.  The right arm of M3 makes a cameo appearance.  Dart's Starry Sky freebie texture on a transparent globe provides some background glitter.

Luthbel is such a great artist.  The outfit was for M4, but even back then Luthbel's products had normal maps.

I modeled the pyramid in Carrara.  My knowledge there is limited, so I used the painfully slow method of extruding the center square of a flattened cube up to the apex of the pyramid,  then extruded the squares around that center square to form the next layer, then the squares around those squares, etc.  Pretty tedious, but it actually worked.

Awesome UB !!!

• KhoeKhoe Posts: 308

UnifiedBrain said:

2022 BC

great Work- yes

Thank you Bunyip and Khoe.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

Khoe said:

a new WIP my scene. It's going very slowly at the moment. There are always missing objects that have to be procured first. I am looking for suitable clothes for women.

wow.. how long did it take to load up that scene?

looks detailed.. looks good yes 

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

UnifiedBrain said:

2022 BC

wouldn't look out of place in an egyptian museum .. striking colour combos and great use of that gmic filter really makes it pop yes

I reckon it would look awesome in black and white as well smiley 

edited October 2022

Stezza said:

Khoe said:

wow.. how long did it take to load up that scene?

looks detailed.. looks good yes 

i think 5 - 10 min. for loading laugh but is not redy.

Post edited by Khoe on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,128
    edited November 2022

Greetings.  Great to see more wonderful updates.  I am back home with my main computer so should have something of my own to report within a few days.  Will try to comment along with my updates.

mencken.jpg
    800 x 50 - 9K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • There's a lot of creative, high quality work here.  And then there's me .....  I was working on scene lighting when I reviewed this thread and thought:  no topic like this is complete without l'hommage to the original Stargate movie.  So made some mods to make "Portal malfunction - wrong Egyptian parallel reality".  Sucks to be separated from the group.  I'll only have time for this one WIP so it has the basic elements.

standard Tower Ruins from my WoW days

S4 but she needs color coordinated dimension jumper outfit

portal that is postworked in with one of Rons Stargate portal brushes

we have plenty of desert terrains but it will be blurred anyway and there's probably a pyramid or sphynx prop if needed.

And I hope I have time for props like "Portal operations and error messages for Dummies" book.

Damn .... I sure hope she remembered to feed the cat before she left.  And don't worry she will not be lost for forever.  Eventually she will accumulate a lot of backpay and the IRS (Interdimensional Revenue Service} will find her.  Probably jail time for tax evasion though ....   

Carrara Projects_00.jpg
    1920 x 1920 - 2M

Stezza said:

wouldn't look out of place in an egyptian museum .. striking colour combos and great use of that gmic filter really makes it pop yes

I reckon it would look awesome in black and white as well smiley 

Thanks Stezza.

I doubt that a Cairo museum will be contacting me anytime soon. :)

Early on, I also considered the B&W idea.  Here is the latest result:

The main difference is the addition of two GMIC filters - Freaky B&W, and Highlight Bloom.  Both have a lot of adjustments.

edited October 2022

Freedom!

The characters are M3/M2, V4 and K4.  Got to dust off a lot of unused Egypt stuff!

M3/M2 is wearing the "Good" mappak for the Adventurers suit, retextured (old M1-M2 products).  He also has items from the M3 Pharoh.

V4 is a kitbash of Ancient Enchantment and Pharohs of the Sun.  K4 uses leftover items.

The background is the tomb on the product called Sacred Barge.  The Barge has very colorful maps, and might also work well in Diomede's Nile delta terrain render.

The camel was an OBJ I found online, which I posed in the modeling room.  The sarcophagus in the background is from Ancient Egypt Exhibit.

No postwork.

Freedom.png
    1800 x 1200 - 3M
    Freedom Carrara setup.JPG
    1558 x 993 - 268K
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Diomede said:

Greetings.  Great to see more wonderful updates.  I am back home with my main computer so should have something of my own to report within a few days.  Will try to comment along with my updates.

Woohoo - back in Carrara action !!!

Grimmvald said:

There's a lot of creative, high quality work here.  And then there's me .....  I was working on scene lighting when I reviewed this thread and thought:  no topic like this is complete without l'hommage to the original Stargate movie.  So made some mods to make "Portal malfunction - wrong Egyptian parallel reality".  Sucks to be separated from the group.  I'll only have time for this one WIP so it has the basic elements.

standard Tower Ruins from my WoW days

S4 but she needs color coordinated dimension jumper outfit

portal that is postworked in with one of Rons Stargate portal brushes

we have plenty of desert terrains but it will be blurred anyway and there's probably a pyramid or sphynx prop if needed.

And I hope I have time for props like "Portal operations and error messages for Dummies" book.

Damn .... I sure hope she remembered to feed the cat before she left.  And don't worry she will not be lost for forever.  Eventually she will accumulate a lot of backpay and the IRS (Interdimensional Revenue Service} will find her.  Probably jail time for tax evasion though ....   

Nice work so far !!!

UnifiedBrain said:

Freedom!

The characters are M3/M2, V4 and K4.  Got to dust off a lot of unused Egypt stuff!

M3/M2 is wearing the "Good" mappak for the Adventurers suit, retextured (old M1-M2 products).  He also has items from the M3 Pharoh.

V4 is a kitbash of Ancient Enchantment and Pharohs of the Sun.  K4 uses leftover items.

The background is the tomb on the product called Sacred Barge.  The Barge has very colorful maps, and might also work well in Diomede's Nile delta terrain render.

The camel was an OBJ I found online, which I posed in the modeling room.  The sarcophagus in the background is from Ancient Egypt Exhibit.

No postwork.

Love the expressions !!!

Thank you Bunyip!

Surprising how much Egyptian stuff I've collected over the years.  Could probably do 20 renders and still not use it all. :)

@Grimmvald - I agree, perfect to have a Stargate tribute.  Great job.

@UnifiedBrain - I always love what you do with the older figures. Complete command of textures, lighting, and all the things that really matter. Yet people remain obsessed with the latest shiny object.  Some of the new G9 characters will have 8K maps to get the pores on the nose correct.

Note - My main computer had to be taken to Geek Squad shortly after my happy announcement about returning home.  Still don't have it back.  On my laptop, I have been dabbling with making some wetland grasses for replicators while I wait.  Unfortunately, it is taking longer than they initially told me.  angry

edited October 2022

On my laptop.  I created a few different grass clumps by modeling very simple stalk and tops and then replicating a few individual grasses on simple objects.  I will then be replicating a variety of these grass clumps on my terrains.  Down the line I may clean them up a bit and offer them as freebies.  I hope to increase the variety with shaders, not many more meshes.

grass replicated.jpg
    800 x 600 - 44K

UnifiedBrain said:

Thank you Bunyip!

Surprising how much Egyptian stuff I've collected over the years.  Could probably do 20 renders and still not use it all. :)

Same here !!!

Diomede said:

On my laptop.  I created a few different grass clumps by modeling very simple stalk and tops and then replicating a few individual grasses on simple objects.  I will then be replicating a variety of these grass clumps on my terrains.  Down the line I may clean them up a bit and offer them as freebies.  I hope to increase the variety with shaders, not many more meshes.

Nice selection Diomede !!!

edited October 2022
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
    edited October 2022

while puppeteering the skirt looks interesting 

I am redoing with VWD had to split it up though or runs out of memory 

and oops Bunyip02 did not untick owned blush

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

Make that a double oops !!!

video 

not an entry kiss

WendyLuvsCatz said:

video 

not an entry kiss

great work yes

edited October 2022

Inspiration!

Story floating around the web that MSN thought I would be interested in.  The graphic would have been much better if done in Carrara.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/archaeologist-explains-why-we-should-be-very-skeptical-of-ancient-aliens-claims/ar-AA13jYLt?rc=1&ocid=winp1taskbar&cvid=df3c694f0e624278e7af5468af02f7e0&fbclid=IwAR1kJeGIhawDccPNs6dS_bdKtTLKUiQpajrjI9mQ-Q4CFjBXRYuXSQsVBhU

This the graphic with the article

alien egypt pic.jpg
    679 x 437 - 56K

Diomede - first, thanks for the good words.  I agree that people seem obsessed with the latest shiny Daz figure.  And yet when they render that figure, it looks (to me) no better than a good rendition of V3.

That said, I really like using the newer normal maps that are being offered.  And I'm floored that G9 seems to (mostly) work in Carrara.

Second, I'm glad that you are back up and running,  Reassigning those pathways is always a pain.

Third, the racism charge is getting really old.  The issue is not that brown-skinned people couldn't have built those ancient marvels.  Instread, it is that - based on our understanding of history, - NOBODY could have built those marvels.  The theory of ancient astronauts gives a semi-plausable explanation.  Another explanation is that a much more ancient civilization existed over 15,000 years ago, and did the work.  For example, there are very credible people who think that the pyramids are that old, rather then the 4500 years figure often quoted as fact by archeologists today.