Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• Never used it but know of it

• Gedd said:
    One of those added features with Windows over Linux is GPU rendering however, which is hard to get running under Linux. Another is the latest version of DirectX, which could hinder people interested in game development or anything using a game engine such as VR.

Yes, neither of which I use or I might have not have decided to go back to trying to have a non-Windows system.  At least, I don't think I have it installed.

kyoto kid said:

... Tried it several  times over the years and it still makes me feel like I'm at the controls of a 747-8 in an inverted flat spin.

Admittedly taken out of context, but I think this statement would accurately describe the experience of the average Windows *or* Mac user trying to install and use Linux. Unless your needs are met by the apps that are native to the OS, wham. You're back at the controls of the 747. Given that not all Windows-only programs will be usable or stable under Wine, it's still a science experiment. Only die-hard techno geeks like us will even try it! wink

I wouldn't put myself in the same category as you die-hard techno geeks, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how easy it has been to get Mint up and running.  Did I run into problems? Yes, but they weren't insurmountable for a non techy girl like me.  Of course, I haven't gotten to the really hard stuff yet. There are some programs that I found years ago before I was even a die-hard Linux fan that simply worked better in Linux than it ever did in Windows.  Off the top of my head, Gramps is a much more powerful program than any of it's Windows competitors and it works so much better than comparable programs in Windows.  There are a few programs, for crafters, that work really well in Linux.  I wish there were more.  I wish there were more programs for people like me who like Linux, but like more of the nonScience programs that are developed for Windows, but could work just as well, if not better, in Linux if someone who knew what they were doing took the time to give it a whirl.

Gedd said:

Who here has heard of/used BeOS? I'll give a hint, it's from back when Steve Jobs was involved in NeXT and SUN workstations still ruled the graphics world. I still have a copy somewhere, but it's on floppies. The concept was a fully object oriented OS.

Okay, even I have heard of that.   That was back when I was seriously considering buying a Mac because Windows kept crashing on me and my husband had the crazy idea that he would try installing his first Slackware distro on my computer just to see if he could get it working.  He wanted to experiment.  He agreed if he couldn't get it working or I didn't like it, I could get the Mac, but he didn't want anything to do with fixing it should it break down.  I never did get the Mac because I was fine with what he had setup in Linux.  I used that computer as a dual boot with Windows for quite awhile and actually didn't use the Windows partition on that computer for a number of years.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...since I retired from the normal workaday world, 3D has become my main focus as I have more time to spend on it now. I still have an old XP system with Office 2K which works fine for working on the development and manuscript of the story I plan tio illustrate. 

BTW you can still get an OEM of WIn 7 Pro. It would require a full clean install but then you'd have the extra memory support beyond 16 GB.

MS's policy of forcing updating, telemetry, and bloatware like Cortana (which continues to run in background even after it's turned off) down users' throats has totally soured me on Win 10.

• kyoto kid said:

...since I retired from the normal workaday world, 3D has become my main focus as I have more time to spend on it now. I still have an old XP system with Office 2K which works fine for working on the development and manuscript of the story I plan tio illustrate. 

BTW you can still get an OEM of WIn 7 Pro. It would require a full clean install but then you'd have the extra memory support beyond 16 GB.

MS's policy of forcing updating, telemetry, and bloatware like Cortana (which continues to run in background even after it's turned off) down users' throats has totally soured me on Win 10.

Yeah, I'm not such a fan of Cortana either, reminds me way to much of when they tried that clippy guy.  Ugh!!!  I know I could get and OEM of Win 7 Pro, but that would cost money that I'm not willing to spend on it especially considering that I bought the Home edition just a year ago and it sounds like Microsoft isn't going to support it for too much longer anyway.  If I can get things working under Linux, I'm totally okay to not having Windows anymore.  Personally, I think Microsoft is going to be shooting itself in the foot with this latest version and their decision to force everyone to upgrade within the next few years, but that is just my opinion.  I, also, refuse to signup for their free Microsoft account either, but that is just begging for trouble.  But that is just me and my opinion.  I'd rather keep my options open for now.  I'm definitely not ready to throw Microsoft even more money.  I'm still very upset to have found out there was a memory cap with the 7 Home edition as it wasn't stated anywhere in my research that there was 16 GB limit for the Home edition.  I might have purchased the Professional edition to start with if that had been indicated.  Silly me, I thought that if my motherboard could take an additional 16 GB then my softare should be able to handle it, too.  Apparently not.  I didn't get the Professional to start with because it had a lot of extra features that I just didn't need or want taking up room on my computer.

• H. J. ValdiH. J. Valdi Posts: 98
    edited December 2015

Hi there

I stumbled upon this thread totally by accident. Initially I'd been looking in the store to see if anyone had finally created a decent, meaning full body coverage and no damn high heels, set of armour for any of the different Genesis models. I've been away for a while from the 3D thing purely because I'd become disenchanted with the fantasy clothing, and as someone who prefers to create fantasy images, that left little for me to do. Surprisingly I discovered that Arki has created the wonderful Rune outfit for G3F/G3M and G2F/G2M. Hassah!

Problem was I wanted to see if there was any info about it in the forums, and there doesn't seem to be a search function for the forums anymore. Or maybe that's just me.

Anyway, long story short... while manually searching the forums I stumbled upon this thread. Not sure if it's serendipity or an omen that I did so, but I'm glad I did. At present, I'm working on a Win 7 Home PC, but I'm damned if I'm going to cross over to Win 10 at any point. So I started looking into the Linux options, and decided Mint would be a nice solution. It's been a few years since I thought about Linux as my last attempt at testing the water ended with me losing both my Windows and Ubuntu installs. For that reason, I've decided that I'd *much* rather not go the dual boot route again.

While reading this thread, I came across the possibility of loading Grub and a Linux install onto a seperate drive. Which has certainly piqued my interest. As it happens I do have a spare 64GB SSD lying around doing diddly. I'm sure that's big enough to accomplish loading Grub and Mint, with enough space to hopefully load my Steam account on and a game or two. And due to the impending release of the Vulkan API, I figured now's the time to take the leap. Thing is, I have no idea how to set up my SSD to install/load Grub and Mint. I want the two OS's completely seperate, because as has been mentioned in this thread, Windows doesn't play nice with other boot loaders. So if I can get a setup that's as simple as pressing F8 (Asus mummyboard here) and booting into the OS of my choice, that would be wonderful.

Would anybody be so kind as to provide instructions on how to accomplish said task, or perhaps provide links that would help? Also, not sure if or how it may complicate things but my board uses a UEFI bios. At the moment I have 3 SSD's and 1 mechanical drive connected.

Thank you kindly for any help you can provide. smiley

Post edited by H. J. Valdi on
  • nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    edited December 2015

Actually, many folks decide to try Linux on an old machine, that they have issues with; otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Then they blame Linux when it doesn't work.

So, Linux can certainly be a fun time to set up. If one is serious about trying it; put it on an up-to-day machine.

I don't run it that often; Daz has continually been my downfall, I've never managed to get it working successfully.

I set one up for mum to use for her emails and browsing, and it suited her fine.

Gedd said:
    Not as easy as installing Windows.  But it was definitely quicker since I didn't have to deal with doing all of the updates as soon as I got Windows installed.

This, and the fact that Linux boots almost instantly even on old rust covered hard drives (non SSD) is something that doesn't get mentioned very often but should. Linux has a fraction of the code base of Microsoft, some of which is bloatware and old code that was never optimized. Some of course is the added features Microsoft supports that Linux doesn't. The point is, if Linux does everything you need, it will be a much more optimized and streamlined experience. One of those added features with Windows over Linux is GPU rendering however, which is hard to get running under Linux. Another is the latest version of DirectX, which could hinder people interested in game development or anything using a game engine such as VR.

Depends on the distro.

Take the link; http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/million-lines-of-code/

I can't find the info I used for an assignemnt last year, and am not searching through archived stuff. :) But although Linux was less, it wasn't as much as one might suspect for the more popular distros. I think Vista was the largest MS was the largest, which the link actually confirms. I think it's that Linux uses a Dynamic Loading library, which might be part of it; it only loads what it needs, and loads modules as they are required.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    nicstt said:
    Gedd said:

Linux has a fraction of the code base of Microsoft...

Depends on the distro.

Take the link; http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/million-lines-of-code/

Ok, first, that data only shows a fresh install with no patches with the original OS. But more importantly, I can tell you from running computer labs where I made images regularly of Microsoft and Linux systems of all types, bare OS and with apps, the difference is huge. I can image pretty much any distro (sans specialized server apps) onto an 8GB optical disk. That's not happening in Winddows stripped down to it's most basic configuration on a bare OS without any patches.

• Hi there

I stumbled upon this thread totally by accident. Initially I'd been looking in the store to see if anyone had finally created a decent, meaning full body coverage and no damn high heels, set of armour for any of the different Genesis models. I've been away for a while from the 3D thing purely because I'd become disenchanted with the fantasy clothing, and as someone who prefers to create fantasy images, that left little for me to do. Surprisingly I discovered that Arki has created the wonderful Rune outfit for G3F/G3M and G2F/G2M. Hassah!

Problem was I wanted to see if there was any info about it in the forums, and there doesn't seem to be a search function for the forums anymore. Or maybe that's just me.

Anyway, long story short... while manually searching the forums I stumbled upon this thread. Not sure if it's serendipity or an omen that I did so, but I'm glad I did. At present, I'm working on a Win 7 Home PC, but I'm damned if I'm going to cross over to Win 10 at any point. So I started looking into the Linux options, and decided Mint would be a nice solution. It's been a few years since I thought about Linux as my last attempt at testing the water ended with me losing both my Windows and Ubuntu installs. For that reason, I've decided that I'd *much* rather not go the dual boot route again.

While reading this thread, I came across the possibility of loading Grub and a Linux install onto a seperate drive. Which has certainly piqued my interest. As it happens I do have a spare 64GB SSD lying around doing diddly. I'm sure that's big enough to accomplish loading Grub and Mint, with enough space to hopefully load my Steam account on and a game or two. And due to the impending release of the Vulkan API, I figured now's the time to take the leap. Thing is, I have no idea how to set up my SSD to install/load Grub and Mint. I want the two OS's completely seperate, because as has been mentioned in this thread, Windows doesn't play nice with other boot loaders. So if I can get a setup that's as simple as pressing F8 (Asus mummyboard here) and booting into the OS of my choice, that would be wonderful.

Would anybody be so kind as to provide instructions on how to accomplish said task, or perhaps provide links that would help? Also, not sure if or how it may complicate things but my board uses a UEFI bios. At the moment I have 3 SSD's and 1 mechanical drive connected.

I run Mint and Windows on the same machine using SSDs one for each OS Here's how I did it with Mint other distros may work the same

I find that to be safe and not mess up my functioning C drive or any other drive that it's best to have them disconnected before I start with only the drive I'm installing to connected

You'll need to have Mint on a bootable USB or optical disk then boot up using it it's best to have an Internet connection when doing the install after it's booted you can explore the os or install it 

Select install select the drive and install after it finishes shut down reconnect your other drives if you disconnected them as I do boot the machine and use which ever key your motherboard uses to allow selection of boot drive On mine it's  F11 AsRock motherboard

That works very well. The other option is to get a 2.5" hot swap bay and just swap them before bootup.

• Gedd said:

That works very well. The other option is to get a 2.5" hot swap bay and just swap them before bootup.

Thats how nephew does it forgot to mention that option 

My hotswap bay supports two drives so I have both in all the time

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited December 2015

Hi there

I run Mint and Windows on the same machine using SSDs one for each OS Here's how I did it with Mint other distros may work the same

I find that to be safe and not mess up my functioning C drive or any other drive that it's best to have them disconnected before I start with only the drive I'm installing to connected

You'll need to have Mint on a bootable USB or optical disk then boot up using it it's best to have an Internet connection when doing the install after it's booted you can explore the os or install it 

Select install select the drive and install after it finishes shut down reconnect your other drives if you disconnected them as I do boot the machine and use which ever key your motherboard uses to allow selection of boot drive On mine it's  F11 AsRock motherboard

It is nice to know I figured this out on my own.  This is the way I did it as well.  Disconnected the drive with Windows, connected the drive that was going to be Linux and installed from a bootable USB drive.  I'm feeling so proud that I figured that out on my own and I wasn't wrong.  I was little worried about posting how I did it, in case that wasn't the smart (or it was the whimpy) way of installing a new OS.  Once everything was done, I reconnected the drive with Windows.  The only thing different is that I don't have a boot manager installed on my system.  My motherboard seems to handle it just fine.  I have it set to load Linux as default on startup and, if I want Windows, I just hit F12 to get to the built in manager on the motherboard.  That was purely accidental, btw, as I didn't know that my motherboard would do that.  I thought I was going to have to figure out which boot manager I was going to go with in order to be able to get things to switch.  So glad I didn't have to do that step.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

My motherboard seems to handle it just fine.  I have it set to load Linux as default on startup and, if I want Windows, I just hit F12 to get to the built in manager on the motherboard.  That was purely accidental, btw, as I didn't know that my motherboard would do that.  I thought I was going to have to figure out which boot manager I was going to go with in order to be able to get things to switch.  So glad I didn't have to do that step.

That is one of the nicer things about modern BIOS...the generally upgraded (abilities) boot managers in them.

That's a perfectly legitimate method.  I also go with unplug the drive of the OS you want to keep route...saves a lot of headaches, especially if you have 2 identical drives (no..don't ask, but I didn't take a hammer to the @#%@ computer...)

• mjc1016 said:

(no..don't ask, but I didn't take a hammer to the @#%@ computer...)

Been there but in my case was able to access primercord and c4 at the time and yes I did make that one go boom

mjc1016 said:

(no..don't ask, but I didn't take a hammer to the @#%@ computer...)

Been there but in my case was able to access primercord and c4 at the time and yes I did make that one go boom

The shotgun was very, very tempting...

• H. J. ValdiH. J. Valdi Posts: 98
    edited January 2016

Hi again

Just wanted to stop by and thank you guys for the wonderful advice. I'm now running Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon on the 64GB SSD (woohoo!) It's all been a lot easier than I thought, and my user  experience has been much better than it was the last time I played with Ubuntu. Spent a while messing around getting the important things setup (sound mostly) yesterday, and I've been tweaking things a little more today. To my amazement, I even managed to find a replacement for the keyboard + mouse lock that I used in Windows. So I can still leave the computer on 24/7 and not worry about my kitty walking on the keyboard and messing things up.

The only hiccup so far has been with gaming. The open source driver isn't great, but I'm really not sure which version of the AMD driver I can use. The proprietary AMD driver that driver manager suggests wasn't great. Oh, and for some reason certain videos don't have sound in Firefox. I think that may be related to Flash Player though, as the ones that use HTML5 seem to work fine.

What I'd like, eventually, is to figure out the whole terminal/command line, as I've used it to sort some things out, but I have no idea what the various commands mean. I'm guessing that will come in time though, and with use.

Again, thank you very much for your assistance. While I'm still going to be dependant on Windows for certain things, it's a minimal amount. With luck, more will come over to Linux in the years running up to Win 7's end of life, and software compatability won't be as much of an issue anymore. At which point I can think about getting rid of Windows altogether. smileyhappy dancesmiley

Edit: Just wanted to add that I'm not sure how useful it would be for content creation and such, but I did discover that a rather nice looking program called 3D Coat offers a Linux version. http://3dcoat.com/download/

Post edited by H. J. Valdi on
  • Hi everybody,

I didn't read all the 14 pages of this thread and I don't know if it was talked about but the only "3d characters" software for Linux is MakeHuman (only for characters, I don't count Blender).

It's an open source software. Would be great if it can use "natively" Daz content.

(Wish I can use photoshop and daz studio in Linux)

• Update on my system:

I know everyone is just waiting with baited breath to hear how I've been doing with my adventures in all things Linux.  cheeky  So, I finally managed to ditched the wired cable for my internet and got the wifi working.  I managed to share my Windows drive so that Linux can see everything on that drive.  I'm hoping that, if I get DS to work in Linux, I can use those files that I already have there and I won't have to move another copy of all my files to the Linux drive.  If I can do that, I can just save the .duf files the I create in Linux on the Linux drive.  At least, for now.  If I go full on Linux, that of course, will change.  We'll see what happens.  I still don't have access to my USB 3s while in Linux, but, from my research, I think it is because I have an AMD system instead of Intel, but I'm not sure.  According to my system messages when loading, Linux finds and assigns numbers to the USB 3s, but I can't access them and they don't work when I plug something into them.  For the moment, I will do more research, but I'm not actively worried about it right now because I have 10 USB 2s for everything I need to plug in.  It is just an annoyance because 2 of those USB 3s are on the front and I kind of miss having easy access to them and that, also, drops me down to just 2 USB devices on the front.

So, tomorrow, I try to actually get DS up and running in Linux.  Wish me luck.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...good luck, and should you get Daz to work with it, let us know.

• Rogerbee said:

I've got mine back in and at least functioning, but, I want full Iray with the GPU otherwise this whole thing will have been pointless. I'll hang in there in the hope that someone can come up with a workaround to actually get that functionality back. I'm not doing anything more with DS till that happens.

I like Linux FAR too much to ditch it and go back to Windows now!

CHEERS!

Please understand WINE... in order for a WINE process to access the hardware, there must be support in the WINE support stubs to allow it.  WINE works by lifting the windows application and reroutes the routines' calls to rewritten code or native support libraries if they exist.  There is nothing magical that allows direct hardware access.  You are most likely to only get CPU rendering from WINE and Iray unless someone has written code to reroute CUDA calls.

Kendall

Hello Kendall,

Wine-staging supports CUDA calls according to this release note (Wine-Staging based off Wine 1.7.34) from January, 2015... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-CUDA-PhysX-Staging

Regarding iray for Linux, do you know if the only option is the Iray Server being developed by NVIDIA (http://www.nvidia.com/object/iray-server.html) and where one could maybe apply to the beta program (probably to late for that now)... or is there another "open source" alternative available (since the pricing for the iray server license sounds kind of expensive to me).

• Rogerbee said:

I've got mine back in and at least functioning, but, I want full Iray with the GPU otherwise this whole thing will have been pointless. I'll hang in there in the hope that someone can come up with a workaround to actually get that functionality back. I'm not doing anything more with DS till that happens.

I like Linux FAR too much to ditch it and go back to Windows now!

CHEERS!

Please understand WINE... in order for a WINE process to access the hardware, there must be support in the WINE support stubs to allow it.  WINE works by lifting the windows application and reroutes the routines' calls to rewritten code or native support libraries if they exist.  There is nothing magical that allows direct hardware access.  You are most likely to only get CPU rendering from WINE and Iray unless someone has written code to reroute CUDA calls.

Kendall

Hello Kendall,

Wine-staging supports CUDA calls according to this release note (Wine-Staging based off Wine 1.7.34) from January, 2015... http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Wine-CUDA-PhysX-Staging

Regarding iray for Linux, do you know if the only option is the Iray Server being developed by NVIDIA (http://www.nvidia.com/object/iray-server.html) and where one could maybe apply to the beta program (probably to late for that now)... or is there another "open source" alternative available (since the pricing for the iray server license sounds kind of expensive to me).

There is a normal Iray render engine for Linux.  The Iray Server is a specific high end project.

Kendall

• DS on Linux Update: 

Hi everyone.  I've been trying to get DS up and running, but so far no luck.  I have been able to get DIM installed using PoL with all of the suggestions on the thread for installing dependancies and extra files that might be needed.  DIM can log on and access my account and all of my files, but it refuses to download DS4.8.  I tried grabbing the zipfile from my archive and putting in it in the directory it expects downloads to be in and it does find it. However, when I try to install it tries and then says Install Failed.  I've tried tried installing with just wine from the command line, but wine seems to see that it is a 32 bit program and installs a 32 bit win setup and then DIM won't let me install the 64 bit version of DS.  No, I haven't tried installing to see if it will actually install the 32 bit version because that isn't what I want to run.  I don't know how to tell wine on the command line to install the 32 bit program on a 64 bit windows setup.  At least, PoL asked me which setup I wanted and I could select 64 bit.

I tried installing DS 4.8 directly and it seems to install both with PoL and with Wine.  However, in both cases DS crashes.  With PoL, DS crashes instantly.  With Wine, DS loades and asks for the serial number.  Once the serial number is inputted, it crashes.  No explanation in either case as to the reason for the crash that I can determine.

Anyone have a step by step, detailed explanation of how I might possibly get DS up and running?  I'm running the latest, stable version of Linux Mint, I believe.  My welcome screen says Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa. 

• IceCrMnIceCrMn Posts: 2,127

I'm having trouble getting DS to run on Mint myself.So far, the easiest to get DS to run has been Opensuse for me.

I installed wine, downloaded the DS installer and double clicked it.I found it under "Lost and Found" on the applications menu (start button).

The Smart stuff still doesn't want to work for me, so all I have is the Content Library to work with.

After the install was done, I copied my users "Daz 3D" folder from Windows to my users "Documents" folder, so I would have all my scenes and characters.

Aside from the buggy sliders, long load times, and no smart content, it runs pretty good.No lock ups or crashes, so far :)

IMO, the viewport preview renders are much better on linux.I find myself saving the preview renders(File>Save last Draw) alot more :)

• KnightKnight Posts: 33
    edited January 2016

I have.  I've used Haiku OS which is a clone as well.  I have a BeOS 5 installation disk, even.  Why do you ask?

(This was intended as an answer to the question about BeOS from Gedd...)

Post edited by Knight on

I've had very few problems with Slackware...at least as far as 32 bit goes.  Load times are not a problem this time around, but in the past have been long.  The sliders...ones with no limits set are the problem ones for me, ones with limits work fine.  CMS can be passed to the native Linux Postgre...just ahven't done it, yet.  Also if you use Luxus or Reality you can pass them to the native Linux Luxrender.

• I will keep trying.  I found a couple of other hints to hopefully get it working.  I had a slight setback in that my wireless stopped working again.  I've come to the conclusion that I had gotten one of the wireless adapters that doesn't really like to play nice with Linux which is frustrating.  However, I'm lucky that most of my hardware seems to work well with Linux considering I hadn't planned on putting Linux on this desktop and so hadn't really put Linux into consideration when I bought the hardware for this machine.  I did some research and decided to get another adapter that has been proven to work well with Linux and specifically Ubuntu and Mint.  I have it ordered and it should be here in a couple of days.  Until then, I guess I'm landlocked again.  I'll update if I have any progress with DS.

As for Smart Content, I find that I hardly ever use it in DS under Windows as it is buggy and can't find all of my stuff.  I usually just use the Content Library so I wouldn't miss it if Smart Content didn't work under Linux.

Yeah, Ubuntu and family have some issues with some wireless cards...

As to CMS...it's more of the buggy metadata or lack of metadata than anything else.  For content to correctly show up, in Smart Content, it needs to be entered into the database and be properly categorized once there...and that is all done with the metadata.

I've come to the conclusion that I had gotten one of the wireless adapters that doesn't really like to play nice with Linux which is frustrating.

Tenda usually works pretty well with Linux and is inexpensive. You might want to consider a usb adapter.

• Gedd said:

I've come to the conclusion that I had gotten one of the wireless adapters that doesn't really like to play nice with Linux which is frustrating.

Tenda usually works pretty well with Linux and is inexpensive. You might want to consider a usb adapter.

My current one is a usb adapter.  It just happens to be one of the ones that EVERYONE seems to have problems with in Mint.  People seem to have problems with it in straight Ubuntu, as well, just not quite as much.  It's a Trendnet usb adapter and I've had nothing but problems with it.  Even Windows balks at it sometimes.  I decided to try out the Panda usb wireless.  It seems to have good reviews specifically with Mint and has been a high seller for Linux OS users for the last two years from my research.  The price is right.  So, it is ordered and should be here by Friday.

Funny...Trendnet seems to have the internal card that works best with various flavors of Linux and the worst USB adapter...

• Yeah, found that out.  It was working fine.  I was connected for quite awhile and suddenly it disconnected and I couldn't get it to reconnect no matter what I tried.