Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• Anyone out there has DAZ Studio 4.9 installed in Linux?
    I figured out how to setup the Content DB with the Linux version of PostgreSQL but the CMS failed to install.  At the end, I do not have any CMS required feature and none of the plug-in show up, not much better than without the Content DB, except, I do not get the error message: A valid PostgreSQL CMS connection could not be established.  Several DAZ Studio features that require a valid PostgreSQL CMS connection, such as context aware content views and loading content installed using the Daz Connect service, will not be available.  Check your network, anti-virus, and firewall settings for conflicts.

• Install the Windows Postgres package for DS.  Even though you are using the Linux Postgres, the Windows processes will look for the Windows Postgres pieces.  It won't guarantee that everything will work, but it will remove some of the errors that get triggered.

Kendall

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited April 2016

Well, I am having pretty decent luck with the latest WINE 1.9.8...

I know I have a config error with the Linux Postgre, because it refuses connections...so it's a user/password problem that I'll figure out later.  But goth 4.8 and 4.9 64 bit are usable.

And as seen in the screenshot, Iray IS rendering!  Granted my pitiful 430 isn't doing much, but hey, it is recognized and used (at least in that scene...)

imageupload60.png
    1280 x 1024 - 326K
    Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • So this is without using wine-staging, just on the latest wine release?

So this is without using wine-staging, just on the latest wine release?

With 1.9.8...and the Slackware build script for Wine  can enable 'staging' at build, but it said 'not available yet'...and looks like it built it without.  I need to doublecheck that.  So, yes you may need Staging.

• morkmork Posts: 278
    edited April 2016

To my understanding staging has been integrated into wine, not sure if you need a separate wine-staging anymore.
    Most of the previous versions were working all the same, in one version the sliders were working much better, but they reverted something and they are working as before - sometimes very good, often not so much.

There are still two major issues:
    + performance suffers very badly, when you add like 500k+ polys to your scene. Above 1m it is really unusable in my case.
    + sliders. especially when you have many polys, you reach a point where they are just not working anymore.

Besides that, everything is fine, but those two are big issues if you want to render more than a very few objects. :(
    It's sad, because I have problems with Reality+Lux using windows, but Lux works pretty good in linux (Reality not so much, though).
    So, if I want to do something big, I need to start up windows, which sucks. If it's only for small things, adjustments or pure render of prepared scenes, I stay with linux.

@mcj1016:
    please let us know when and if you get native postgres to work with 4.9. I tried with the beta to no avail and have not checked back since then. Just curious, not that I want to switch from 4.8.

Post edited by mork on

I know it's a config issue because it fails to connect in 4.8, too...I was probably too tired when I set it up last night, so I may not have the correct account/password.   But even though it doesn't connect, Studio SEES it as a valid CMS location and attempts to use it.  Whether or not 4.9 will actually use it, once I figure out what I screwed up, I won't know until I get the time to debug the problem...and I won't have that until at least Sunday or next week sometime.

Now, in Slackware, I never had the slider problem in 4.8...yes, sliders without limits set wouldn't work correctly (somewhat different problem) but they'd never 'bog down'.  Also in 4.8, it would not hit the 'wall until the scene/Studio was nearing about 3.2 GB of RAM....that's several million polys, although large (16K) HDR images would introduce a major slowdown...at least until they were 'cached', but since it was 32 bit and  3DL, I think that was tdlmake chewing through the large image.

In general, I've had fewer problems with WINE/Slackware than I've seen reported with other distros...I'm running Slackware64 -current (about 2 months ago) and always build WINE myself.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited April 2016

In a news letter I got today there has beens some really great improvements in Ubuntu  they have updated to  Ubuntu 16.04  & the Unity 7.4: package for those who use Ubuntu, this is a  suppose to be a game changer according to How too Geek.

Thery also added some new scripts & other features so you can custmize the UI better. I've been trying to learn linux since windows 10 came out so this looks very hopeful to me.   You can read the complete artical here  http://www.howtogeek.com/251647/ubuntu-16.04-makes-ubuntu-exciting-again/

Post edited by Ivy on
  • morkmork Posts: 278

Hm, that is interesting to know, that in Slackware you don't have the issues I'm having. Gotta find a way to test that out somehow. I'm on Xubuntu right now, in case I have not mentioned it yet. :)

16.04 looks promising, but I personally think I need to wait a while, because there are some fundamental changes to the AMD drivers, which in the end should result in much better performance, but it's not there yet and it is missing features. The open driver is not usable for me, it is still too much lacking for real gaming and my coding projects, the proprietary driver seems not finished yet, as well. So I'll better wait until they got that done. Not being able to customize the UI was the reason I ended up with Xubuntu, which somewhat looks like I want it to be. Ubuntu itself is way too restricting when it comes to customizing the UI, good to hear that they move ahead, because for beginners I think it's still the best Linux (large userbase, lots of info on the net). :)

edited April 2016

Well here it is....my first official Iray render on my machine...in Linux!

14 mins (a version with draw dome OFF was 11 mins and another version with a different hdr is looking to be about 30 mins).

61vetteirayv2.png
    800 x 640 - 283K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,397

Looking good

edited April 2016

Well, it took closer to 50 minutes for the last of the fireflies to clear up...

but here is #2

61vetteirayv3.png
    800 x 640 - 633K
  • Ivy said:

In a news letter I got today there has beens some really great improvements in Ubuntu  they have updated to  Ubuntu 16.04  & the Unity 7.4: package for those who use Ubuntu, this is a  suppose to be a game changer according to How too Geek.

Thery also added some new scripts & other features so you can custmize the UI better. I've been trying to learn linux since windows 10 came out so this looks very hopeful to me.   You can read the complete artical here  http://www.howtogeek.com/251647/ubuntu-16.04-makes-ubuntu-exciting-again/

I've been waiting for this version since they stopped updating my Ubuntu Studio version, postponing the upgrade. I'll try to test it somewhere in the near future to see if it's more DAZ Studio friendly than the previous version. 

mjc1016 said:

Now, in Slackware, I never had the slider problem in 4.8...yes, sliders without limits set wouldn't work correctly (somewhat different problem) but they'd never 'bog down'.  Also in 4.8, it would not hit the 'wall until the scene/Studio was nearing about 3.2 GB of RAM....that's several million polys, although large (16K) HDR images would introduce a major slowdown...at least until they were 'cached', but since it was 32 bit and  3DL, I think that was tdlmake chewing through the large image.

If you use 32 bit version then that could make a difference. On my 64 bit Ubuntu Studio 32 bit version works fine (except for big loading times), but 64 bit version has biggy sliders. Don't ask me why.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited April 2016

@ Chanteur-de-Vent I have not had a chance to play with it myself  . I downloaded it today. But i have not set up a VM to try it out on yet. The article sounded promising though sometimes this weekend I'll create a virtual machine in my H/ drive so I can play with it. I had a lot of issues with Ubuntu 15.10 so I uninstalled it and went back to Linux Mint which I'm more familiar but still struggle with..   the new snap feature in the Ubuntu 16.4 version really intrigued me when i read about it.

Post edited by Ivy on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

That 'vette looks nice.  I'll have to see about updating and see if I can finally get DS to work on my system.  This certainly gives me hope I might be able to get it done.

• Azure_ZeroAzure_Zero Posts: 65
    edited July 2016

Hello,

I've used Daz for over a good couple of years now, and have been buying a lot of Daz content and rendering a number of images and animations.  But with the way MS has "managed" Win10's release and the way it's EULA is written. I will never be upgrading to Win10 and am starting to move to linux, more specifically Zorin Linux which is Ubuntu based (currently most common Linux core) .

But I've had difficulty in getting Daz to run in Linux with WINE, and have looked over most of the parts of the Daz system and they have or are supported in Linux.  So it should not be much more work to get Daz or it's content management system to run in Linux. Where the Linux OS has; much less over head, the OpenGL view ports will run much faster, is overall faster, better managed, and more secure.

If Daz chooses to not support Linux, I'll be forced into dropping Daz for my rendering uses and looking at the alternatives.  And I don't want that, not when Daz is a great product with great content.  And there will be a number of folks moving away from windows (and not towards a Mac) due to various reasons.  Supporting Linux also means you'll get new customers as well, as there are very few options of Daz alternatives in Linux.

Signed AZ

Post edited by Azure_Zero on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

...exactly.  Still on W7, but the clock is ticking.

The only 3D graphics programmes I know of that support Linux are Blender and Maya, so the options are either a learning cuve about as steep as a sheer cliff or prepare to shell out a lot of zlotys.

kyoto kid said:

The only 3D graphics programmes I know of that support Linux are Blender and Maya, so the options are either a learning cuve about as steep as a sheer cliff or prepare to shell out a lot of zlotys.

It is nice to know that I'm not alone in that boat,

Silo2 also runs in Linux,

And it seems even Allegorithmic is starting to include Linux support for it's upcoming products.

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    kyoto kid said:

And it seems even Allegorithmic is starting to include Linux support for it's upcoming products.

Silo2 for Linux is very buggy and has some extreme limitations.  One of the biggest problems is that there is a huge offset between the mouse and the highlighted item the mouse is supposed to be over.  Also, Silo2 is pretty much abandoned: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=175&t=1237509&page=6&pp=15)  There was some hope there.  Allegorithmic has been talking "Linux support" for a very long time without ever actually delivering anything.

We putter along as best we can and hope for the best.

Kendall

kyoto kid said:

Silo2 for Linux is very buggy and has some extreme limitations.  One of the biggest problems is that there is a huge offset between the mouse and the highlighted item the mouse is supposed to be over.  Also, Silo2 is pretty much abandoned: (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=175&t=1237509&page=6&pp=15)  There was some hope there.  Allegorithmic has been talking "Linux support" for a very long time without ever actually delivering anything.

Kendall

Well Substance Painter 2 from Allegorithmic supports Linux and it is their latest product.  So the hope and proof of the hope are there.

• modo has a Linux version, though not all of its plug-ins do (and I have not used it at all).

edited July 2016

modo has a Linux version, though not all of its plug-ins do (and I have not used it at all).

A good portion of The Foundry's stuff runs great under Linux.  So far, only the Mari product has the indie version available on Linux.  If you can afford the full versions get them.  They run fine, but just as with the other OS's they require a decent setup to operate efficiently.  EDIT:  Forgot to mention that The Foundry supports their products under CentOS/RedHat Enterprise (RPM) environments.  Ubuntu and other Debian distros may be missing necessary precompiled packages and these may need to be manually built.

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited July 2016
    kyoto kid said:

Kendall

Well Substance Painter 2 from Allegorithmic supports Linux and it is their latest product.  So the hope and proof of the hope are there.

It does and I have it smiley  Grabbed it the moment it came out, just haven't installed it yet.  It is CentOS/RHEL based as well in case anyone is interested.  It is designer that everyone wants and is waiting for though.

Just in case anyone is interested, 3D-Coat is also for linux and is available for as little as $79.

Kendall

modo has a Linux version, though not all of its plug-ins do (and I have not used it at all).

A good portion of The Foundry's stuff runs great under Linux.  So far, only the Mari product has the indie version available on Linux.  If you can afford the full versions get them.  They run fine, but just as with the other OS's they require a decent setup to operate efficiently.  EDIT:  Forgot to mention that The Foundry supports their products under CentOS/RedHat Enterprise (RPM) environments.  Ubuntu and other Debian distros may be missing necessary precompiled packages and these may need to be manually built.

Kendall

That kinda sucks, since I'm on the Ubuntu based Zorin OS. 

But the fact that there are many different Linux cores with different packages means there is diveristy of the code and how things evolve and get experimented on.
    Though it also helps with the immune system of Linux against virus and malware since no two Linux OS cores are exactly the same, unlike Windows and Mac.

edited July 2016

Kendall

But the fact that there are many different Linux cores with different packages means there is diveristy of the code and how things evolve and get experimented on.
    Though it also helps with the immune system of Linux against virus and malware since no two Linux OS cores are exactly the same, unlike Windows and Mac.

Most of the commercial packages for Linux tend to be for RHEL/CentOS.  The reasoning that I've always seen from the companies is that the support is easier since the base isn't constantly changing.  I've always gravitated toward the RPM distros (at least since packages were introduced) so it works well for me.  I tend to use Fedora based workstation installs for "cutting edge" stuff and CentOS for the servers.  On my machines with Tesla units I have no choice since nVidia ONLY supports CentOS for their Tesla drivers.

Kendall

Kendall

Most of the commercial packages for Linux tend to be for RHEL/CentOS.  The reasoning that I've always seen from the companies is that the support is easier since the base isn't constantly changing.  I've always gravitated toward the RPM distros (at least since packages were introduced) so it works well for me.  I tend to use Fedora based workstation installs for "cutting edge" stuff and CentOS for the servers.  On my machines with Tesla units I have no choice since nVidia ONLY supports CentOS for their Tesla drivers.

Kendall

Well, I am happy that Substance Painter 2 does work on the Ubuntu Core of Linux as a commerial product. smiley

And I've done some attempts at turning one of my linux machines into a Iray server and the Iray server wants to be on Ubuntu, though I had trouble with it. frown

Kendall

Kendall

Well, I am happy that Substance Painter 2 does work on the Ubuntu Core of Linux as a commerial product. smiley

And I've done some attempts at turning one of my linux machines into a Iray server and the Iray server wants to be on Ubuntu, though I had trouble with it. frown

It's rare for something to not be able to be tweaked to work in another distro.  The days of glibc vs glibc2 issues are long gone.  Locating and installing a missing piece is not that hard, and in the worst case, there's always the source.  The problem comes in when you need to "call" for support and you're on an unsupported setup.  They'll tell you to get your setup to a supported config, then call them back if the problem persists.

Kendall

Wow, that quote tree is getting big....

I am really hoping that Daz does decide to support linux natively (not through WINE) as this is a great product.  And they could end up missing a good market for there product.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,899

Just in case anyone is interested, 3D-Coat is also for linux and is available for as little as $79.

Please note that that is ONLY for the amateur licence which is now allowed for commercial useage.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948

Wow, that quote tree is getting big....

I am really hoping that Daz does decide to support linux natively (not through WINE) as this is a great product.  And they could end up missing a good market for there product.

...especially after Win7 hits EOL.  There are a lot of people who don't want 10 or who have rolled back after finding all sorts of issues with their systems.

They have three and a half years to "get 'er done"