Daz Studio and Linux

Comments

• antadev66antadev66 Posts: 37

Kyan001 said:

After installing nvlibs.sh this is what happens, it sees the gpu but won't work: 

Using OptiX version 7.3.0 2023-10-06 20:12:22.962 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend error: optixInit() failed: Library not found. Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41. 2023-10-06 20:12:22.962 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090) is no longer available for rendering. 2023-10-06 20:12:22.962 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090) is no longer available for rendering. 2023-10-06 20:12:22.963 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend warn : All available GPUs failed. 2023-10-06 20:12:22.963 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend error: Fallback to CPU not allowed. 2023-10-06 20:12:22.963 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090): Device initialization failed, will not be used 2023-10-06 20:12:22.966 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend info : Rendering with 0 device(s): 2023-10-06 20:12:22.966 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend info : Rendering... 2023-10-06 20:12:22.966 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(369): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend error: No worker to render with: aborting render

Excuse me but you should really try to READ the logs that you post. It says right there what you ought to try. I quote:

Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER :: 1.0 IRAY rend error: optixInit() failed: Library not found. Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41

• nikoarnikoar Posts: 2
    edited January 14

Hi there, long time lurker on the forums...first time posting something here...I think.
    Long story short, I found a spare drive and decided to try Garuda Linux and what the heck, I threw daz on the mix. To my surprise, the installation was as just as if it was on windows. Nothing to do but to click next until it finished.
    I leave you the screenshot while it's rendering, dforce is working aswell.
    Sorry for the quick scene I put together, it was just to test it.

Edit: My bad, while it's working as I said earlier I didn't realized that it was using the cpu and not the gpu, I just thought the slow start on rendering was due to being run on lutris. I'll have to do more testings to see what can I do to make it use the gpu.

Screenshot_20240113_232051.png
    3440 x 1440 - 6M
    Post edited by nikoar on
  • TiZTiZ Posts: 21
    edited January 17

nikoar said:

Hi there, long time lurker on the forums...first time posting something here...I think.
    Long story short, I found a spare drive and decided to try Garuda Linux and what the heck, I threw daz on the mix. To my surprise, the installation was as just as if it was on windows. Nothing to do but to click next until it finished.
    I leave you the screenshot while it's rendering, dforce is working aswell.
    Sorry for the quick scene I put together, it was just to test it.

Edit: My bad, while it's working as I said earlier I didn't realized that it was using the cpu and not the gpu, I just thought the slow start on rendering was due to being run on lutris. I'll have to do more testings to see what can I do to make it use the gpu.

We covered this extensively in the previous page. Make sure CUDA is working on the host, and then install the most recent nvidia-libs in the Wine prefix. You don't need to run nvml_setup.sh because you probably don't need Daz Studio to be able to check GPU temps and other such stats.

Post edited by TiZ on
  • XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited February 6

Hello!

I noticed a strange thing about DAZ Studio and Iray in Linux.

I use Arch Linux and the I3 window manager, installed and configured everything as described above. Iray did not work.

Then I installed XFCE4, Iray did not work.

Then I installed Gnome and suddenly Iray did work!!!

That is a bit strange to me. Seems there was a dependency or library missing that Gnome installed by default, But I don´t like to use Gnome. Does anyone know what library I was missing and why Iray works with Gnome and not with I3 or XFCE4? I want to use DAZ and Iray in I3 or XFCE4.

Thanks.

EDIT: When I say Iray, I mean Iray with my NVIDIA 2060 GPU. Iray with CPU always works, but I want to use the GPU of course.

Post edited by XoechZ on
  • does anyone have any tips for getting dforce working on steam deck? daz itself works completely fine in WINE with no problems, but i can't get it to recognise the opencl device. i followed mork's guide on page 26 of this thread, clinfo says everythings working on the linux side of things, and i have the windows AMD SDK in my wine prefix. unsure where i went wrong.

• ssoplerssopler Posts: 20

XoechZ said:

That is a bit strange to me. Seems there was a dependency or library missing that Gnome installed by default, But I don´t like to use Gnome. Does anyone know what library I was missing and why Iray works with Gnome and not with I3 or XFCE4? I want to use DAZ and Iray in I3 or XFCE4.

Thanks.

EDIT: When I say Iray, I mean Iray with my NVIDIA 2060 GPU. Iray with CPU always works, but I want to use the GPU of course.

I cant think of anything other than perhaps something regarding wine and usage of window manager. Do other things work with dxvk and nvapi? You can set up a prefix and run something like Unigine Superposition with dxvk and nvapi (nvlibs). This should provide some nvidia related information aswell as DXVK related information. (Run with DXVK_HUD=full and you should get some dxvk related info).

If that works like a champ with whatever window manager, i do not know.

• TiZTiZ Posts: 21

XoechZ said:

Hello!

I noticed a strange thing about DAZ Studio and Iray in Linux.

I use Arch Linux and the I3 window manager, installed and configured everything as described above. Iray did not work.

Then I installed XFCE4, Iray did not work.

Thanks.

Have you tried running Daz Studio in XFCE or i3 while GNOME is installed? It's possible that one of the dependencies that GNOME pulls down causes CUDA to work, connecting some dots that would otherwise go unconnected. CUDA is a hard requirement for GPU rendering. To diagnose CUDA issues, I like to do the following things to figure out at what point it's failing:

• First: run the Linux version of CUDA-Z. If your GPU isn't detected here, then you need to investigate CUDA enablement on your distro. Installation of GNOME may be connecting these dots for you.
    • Second: run the Windows version of CUDA-Z in the Wine prefix that Daz Studio is installed in. If this fails, that usually means you need to install nvidia-libs in the prefix.
    • As long as both those boxes are checked, you should be able to see the GPU in Daz Studio.

There's also another factor: GPU offloading. Is your computer a laptop? You need to set special environment variables while launching an application for GPU offloading to work. XFCE and i3 do not do this for you, but GNOME and Plasma do. If it doesn't work in XFCE and i3 while GNOME is installed, then this could explain why.

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102

Thanks for your answers and suggestions.

I finally made DAZ Studio with GPU Iray work on a fresh install with XFCE4. The only thing I did was to install file-roller instead of xarchiver for Thunar archive management. File-roller installs the following files:

extra/fuse-common         3.16.2-1               0.00 MiB             0.00 MiB
    extra/fuse3               3.16.2-1               0.46 MiB             0.12 MiB
    extra/geoclue             2.7.1-2                1.55 MiB             0.22 MiB
    extra/libcamera           0.2.0-1                1.39 MiB             0.44 MiB
    extra/libcamera-ipa       0.2.0-1                0.37 MiB             0.11 MiB
    extra/libhandy            1.8.3-1                2.43 MiB             0.45 MiB
    extra/libpipewire         1:1.0.3-1              1.66 MiB             0.38 MiB
    extra/libportal           0.7.1-2                0.47 MiB             0.08 MiB
    extra/libportal-gtk3      0.7.1-2                0.04 MiB             0.01 MiB
    extra/pipewire            1:1.0.3-1              3.17 MiB             0.65 MiB
    extra/xdg-desktop-portal  1.18.2-1               2.28 MiB             0.40 MiB
    extra/file-roller         43.1-1                 4.14 MiB             0.76 MiB

So it has to be one of these files/dependencies that made it work. Because everything else is the same.

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,184

33marie333 said:

does anyone have any tips for getting dforce working on steam deck? daz itself works completely fine in WINE with no problems, but i can't get it to recognise the opencl device. i followed mork's guide on page 26 of this thread, clinfo says everythings working on the linux side of things, and i have the windows AMD SDK in my wine prefix. unsure where i went wrong.

Not sure how old this post is, but having similar issues with OpenCL and WINE.
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

brainmuffin said:

33marie333 said:

does anyone have any tips for getting dforce working on steam deck? daz itself works completely fine in WINE with no problems, but i can't get it to recognise the opencl device. i followed mork's guide on page 26 of this thread, clinfo says everythings working on the linux side of things, and i have the windows AMD SDK in my wine prefix. unsure where i went wrong.

Not sure how old this post is, but having similar issues with OpenCL and WINE.

As far as I've been able to Google, OpenCL isn't supported on the Steam Deck. It's not too surprising since they don't support ROCm (their CUDA equivalent) on the Deck either. I love AMD, but their lack of software support is frustrating.

• DevWhatNow?DevWhatNow? Posts: 27
    edited May 30

If it helps anyone, I made a video to get both DAZ & Diffeo working (I used Mint Cinnamon):

Post edited by DevWhatNow? on

DevWhatNow? said:

If it helps anyone, I made a video to get both DAZ & Diffeo working (I used Mint Cinnamon):

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/60901/daz-studio-and-linux

Did you mean to post a video to the forums?

brainmuffin said:

DevWhatNow? said:

Good lord, that's what I get for finishing it before bed LOL.  Thanks, yes I did, edited the post :).

edited May 30

DevWhatNow? said:

brainmuffin said:

DevWhatNow? said:

Good lord, that's what I get for finishing it before bed LOL.  Thanks, yes I did, edited the post :).

No worries. Been there, done that. That's a better video than I made 10 months ago. This is just Studio running under WINE on Mint, back when the GPU support worked.

Post edited by brainmuffin on
  • gitanoartxgitanoartx Posts: 1
    edited June 25

Hello everyone. DAZ stopped rendering since I installed Arch Linux with KDE. I used to use DAZ without any issues on other distributions. I have tried to identify the cause of the problem but so far I have not been successful. The strangest thing is that, if I switch from the texture view to the Iray view in the viewport, it renders perfectly. Even if I leave that view active for hours, the program does not close. However, as soon as I try to render the same model in a window, the program closes after just a few minutes.

Important information:
    I do not have an Nvidia graphics card. I render only with the CPU. I have always done it this way, both on Windows and Linux.
    I had no issues rendering with other distributions. It might be a coincidence, but I used Gnome with all of them. I don't think it's an Arch Linux problem because I was able to render even with Manjaro.
    In this case, I am not using OOT hair, although when I do, I apply the known solution and render without any issues.
    DAZ is installed on wine-staging, with no operational problems, only rendering.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can solve this issue? Thanks!

EDIT:

Problem solved. I switched from Archlinux to Debian 12 and, without doing anything different, everything works perfectly now. I can now render images normally without the program crash.

I did notice that when installing wine-staging, the command is somewhat different and a huge number of libraries are installed, which probably were not installed in Archlinux. That's likely where the difference lies.

Post edited by gitanoartx on
  • NathanomirNathanomir Posts: 125
    edited June 21

Hey y'all. I made the switch to Linux this past Monday. Not the first time I've worked with non-MS operating systems (UNIX in the late 90s) and grew up with the command line. I'm using Kubuntu 24.04 and installed DAZ via Wine and Bottles.

I have a few problems and questions. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

1. Is the Install Manager the standard, recommended method of installing DAZ on Linux? I installed 4.22 that way, but 4.21 using the downloaded exe installer. There are differences. The 4.21 method didn't install any of the content, like Genesis 8 Female base. If it did, I can't locate it. The 4.22 method did install it and it's where it should be.

2. If the DIM method is the preferred method, is there a way to launch DAZ Studio without doing that inside the DIM? If not, can I use DIM without logging into the DAZ servers?

3. How do I get DAZ to recognize my contents library, which is on an external drive? I see the problem. In Wine, DAZ is looking for E drive, but the computer knows it as sdd2. Seems there should be some way to link My Library in "C" to the DAZ/Studio/Contents folder on the external.

If anyone has tips or can point me to a tutorial, I'd sure appreciate it.

EDIT: Well, I tried PlayonLinux and sonofagun, it worked! Linked to my external and everything. I'll leave this up in case the answers help anyone.

Post edited by Nathanomir on

I typically download DIM and install it. Then check the directories is has and download Studio and the start up content. I then run Studio to make sure it can see things and connected to my DAZ account. I still use DIM to download the rest of the content. I don't have any content on other drives.

• BenAric91BenAric91 Posts: 2

Has anyone managed to make Studio work on Wayland? It seems to work almost flawlessly in X11, but when using Wayland the viewport is incredibly glitchy (moving the mouse makes the UI disappear or turns the entire viewport black, characters turn bright red, etc.). I vastly prefer using Wayland for everything else, so I'd appreciate any help in getting it to work.

• joni_999joni_999 Posts: 5

BenAric91 said:

Has anyone managed to make Studio work on Wayland? It seems to work almost flawlessly in X11, but when using Wayland the viewport is incredibly glitchy (moving the mouse makes the UI disappear or turns the entire viewport black, characters turn bright red, etc.). I vastly prefer using Wayland for everything else, so I'd appreciate any help in getting it to work.

I had the same issue.
    You are probably on nvidia right? Wayland on nvidia in general was terrible up until the 555 driver release which introduced explicit sync.
    I don't know what distro you use, but if you're using something more up-to-date like Arch Linux you will probably get the driver update in the coming weeks. I'm on CachyOS and have had the driver for about a month now and DAZ works very well on wayland and I have noticed no visible issues so far.

• BenAric91BenAric91 Posts: 2
    joni_999 said:

BenAric91 said:

I had the same issue.
    You are probably on nvidia right? Wayland on nvidia in general was terrible up until the 555 driver release which introduced explicit sync.
    I don't know what distro you use, but if you're using something more up-to-date like Arch Linux you will probably get the driver update in the coming weeks. I'm on CachyOS and have had the driver for about a month now and DAZ works very well on wayland and I have noticed no visible issues so far.

I use EndeavourOS, so I just got the 555 drivers yesterday. I was hoping they would fix some issues, but they fixed almost every issue. Thank you.
  • ssoplerssopler Posts: 20

Just as a minor tidbit, i tested latest "Public beta", and IRAY uses Cuda 12.2, which works just fine with recent nvidia-libs.

Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend info : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 12.5; iray requires CUDA version 12.2; all is good.

Using latest 555.58 driver, but should work with slightly older versions aswell. (I would say 535+ series drivers)

I'm on Mint and 555 doesn't seem to have made it yet. A year ago, GPU support worked, then it stopped.

• edited July 11

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, new commenter. I've wanted to retire Microsoft Windows for quite some time, but DAZ Studio is one of those applications I'd really miss. Consequently, this thread has been of particular interest to me. I'm posting this in hopes it will be helpful to someone. My apologies for the length.

I've been able to get DAZ Studio installed and have it pretty consistently find the GPU for IRay across a couple of spare laptops and two different versions of Linux -- Fedora 40 and Mint 21.3 Edge. Additionally, I've wired in a Linux-native version of Blender and have it seamlessly working with the DAZ-to-Blender bridge. I'll do my best to articulate the GPU setup now (be gentle) and if anyone is interested in the Linux-native Blender part, just ask. I'm going to assume at least some basic admin level knowledge with Linux. I also assume it's a new install (e.g., Wine hasn't been installed, etc.) and is also using "standard" Linux partitioning. And I probably should put in the requisite disclaimer -- YMMV. This is what works for me.

I'm using two very different laptops --

Alienware Area-51m R2, 64GB memory, RTX 2070 Super with 8GB
    ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15, 40GB memory, RTX 3060 with 6GB

I had the time to try both Fedora 40 and Mint Edge on the Alienware box and both worked fine. I've only tried Fedora 40 on the ASUS box since there are alternative configuration utils available for that distro (https://asus-linux.org). Again, that works fine as well. Both machines and both distros find the GPU (apparently) without any issue. I like to use the command line, so --

1. Install either Fedora 40 or Mint 21.3 "EDGE" (https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=314).

2. Install NVidia support. For Fedora 40 I installed the driver from RPMFusion (https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA). Here are the commands I used --

sudo dnf install -y https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm https://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-$(rpm -E %fedora).noarch.rpm
       sudo dnf update -y --refresh
       reboot

sudo dnf install -y akmod-nvidia kernel-devel libva-nvidia-driver xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-cuda
       sudo systemctl enable nvidia-hibernate.service nvidia-suspend.service nvidia-resume.service

# IMPORTANT: Make sure to wait until "akmods" finishes, about 5 minutes depending on how fast the
       # machine is.

sudo vi /etc/default/grub

# Edit the file to look like below. Note that if disk encryption was enabled during installation,
       # there will be additional configuration text in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX line that must be preserved.

# GRUB_TIMEOUT=5
       # GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
       # GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
       # GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
       # GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
       # GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.driver.blacklist=nouveau modprobe.blacklist=nouveau nvidia-drm.modeset=1 rhgb quiet"
       # GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"
       # GRUB_ENABLE_BLSCFG=true

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /etc/grub2.cfg
       reboot

For Mint, I simply used the v545 driver in the device installer.

3. Since Windows has a case-insensitive file system, for both versions of Linux, you'll want to make this change, especially if you're trying to use the DAZ-to-Blender bridge with a Linux-native Blender. Reboot using the live system you installed from, then find the partition that holds your "Home" directory (e.g., /home/<username>). For example, on mine it's typically "/dev/nvme0n1p3". To set the casefold flag for that partition enter --

sudo tune2fs -O casefold /dev/nvme0n1p3
       reboot

This doesn't really do anything to the underlying file system except that it allows the user to designate specific directories as case-insensitive. After rebooting into the newly installed Linux instance, log back in and --

mkdir -p ~/.wine/drive_c
       chattr -R +F ~/.wine/drive_c

4. Now install Wine. I typically install "wine-staging" for Mint Edge as described here -- https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu (IMPORTANT: make sure you use the 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish repo). For Fedora 40, the install from WineHQ seems not to work properly with step 6, so I install the one in the Fedora repo (e.g., dnf install wine -y).

It's probably advisable to reboot after installing Wine.

5. Next, configure Wine using "winecfg" --

winecfg &

There's nothing special that I'm aware of that needs to be set, but for my own evil purposes, I usually set all the options under the "Staging" tab.

6. Now, the magic. Download the latest release from https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs --

wget --progress bar https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs/releases/download/v0.7.17/nvidia-libs-0.7.17.tar.xz -O - | tar -xJ -C ~/.local --strip-components=1
       WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.wine ~/.local/setup_nvlibs.sh install

7. Finally, install DAZ Studio, etc.

I hope I didn't leave anything out. I'll watch this thread for a while, and if something is missing, just ping me. I hope this helps.

EDIT: For atrocious grammar

Post edited by mvrazel_8516000a69 on

I can confirm (Nvidia) GPU working with the help of ssopler's repo (great work, BTW).  I don't know if that means the very latest cards automatically work, but I'm on the latest driver.  I have a 3060.

I made another quick video to demo that:

mvrazel_8516000a69 said:

Hello everyone. Long time lurker, new commenter. I've wanted to retire Microsoft Windows for quite some time, but DAZ Studio is one of those applications I'd really miss. Consequently, this thread has been of particular interest to me. I'm posting this in hopes it will be helpful to someone. My apologies for the length.

Fantastic write up. As I'm on Mint, I will give the NVidia steps a try.

Now if I could remember how to get PostgreSQL to behave under Studio.

mvrazel_8516000a69 said:

3. Since Windows has a case-insensitive file system, for both versions of Linux, you'll want to make this change, especially if you're trying to use the DAZ-to-Blender bridge with a Linux-native Blender. Reboot using the live system you installed from, then find the partition that holds your "Home" directory (e.g., /home/<username>). For example, on mine it's typically "/dev/nvme0n1p3". To set the casefold flag for that partition enter --

sudo tune2fs -O casefold /dev/nvme0n1p3
       reboot

This doesn't really do anything to the underlying file system except that it allows the user to designate specific directories as case-insensitive. After rebooting into the newly installed Linux instance, log back in and --

mkdir -p ~/.wine/drive_c
       chattr -R +F ~/.wine/drive_c

I was able to get GPU support again in Studio, but running tune2fs has made my Linux Mint machine unbootable.

• I'm surpised that "tune2fs" would do that. It only sets a flag in the file system that allows you to mark a directory as case insensitive, but otherwise doesn't alter the file system at all. I'm literally typing this post on Linux Mint, with the "casefold" flag set via "tune2fs" in the way I described. Weird.

There's not enough information in your post to help diagnose. Are there any error messages you can see during boot?

Is it possible you're not running the "Edge" version of Mint? I don't believe the vanilla version will work properly. The kernel is too old. For what it's worth, Fedora 40 has an even newer kernel and newer NVidia driver, but I can't say I've had any real problems with Edge and the NVidia v545 driver.

Not sure if this is helpful, but I had time over the last couple of days to try another approach that seems to work a little better. Rather than flagging the ".wine/drive_c" directory as case insensitive via "tune2fs", I've instead created and formatted another partition as NTFS and mounted that at "~/.wine", then installed Wine into the NTFS formatted partition. It's too early to be sure, but this SEEMS to have obviated the need to use "tune2fs", although it does somewhat complicate wiring up a Linux-native version of Blender.

I marked the DVD I burned with the Mint ISO as 21.2 BETA, but I thought it was the Edge version. It is Cinnamon.

My machine boots to the Grub menu. I put the live DVD in and tried boot-repair, but that failed. Trying a few other ideas.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,397

If you have timeshift setup you can boot from the ISO and do a restore from timeshift

I keep getting "Locked-NVram detected" from boot-repair.