Daz Studio and Linux

1484950515254»

Comments

• ssoplerssopler Posts: 20

Updated nvidia-libs here: https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs/releases

Nothing major changed, just some minor updates and fixes. However, an old "bug" appeared for me that i had forgotten about, and i wondered why i suddenly had 2 cuda adapters, tho one of them clearly was not right... And i remembered i had forgotten to install nvml library to my updated wine binaries.

Made a quick note for that in particular for DAZ Studio here: https://github.com/SveSop/nvidia-libs?tab=readme-ov-file#daz-studio

So, in case you have 2 CUDA adapters (one with just numbers as a name, and -1 vram or something), you need to select the one with the correct adapter name, and should de-select the other. Still works as normal, but it does look more sane if you use NVML as you will only have one CUDA adapter (WDDM - Display) as you would have in windows.. unless you do run headless or something which i have not tried (or multiple real cuda adapters, which is untested aswell).

• brainmuffinbrainmuffin Posts: 1,184

mvrazel_8516000a69 said:

I'm surpised that "tune2fs" would do that. It only sets a flag in the file system that allows you to mark a directory as case insensitive, but otherwise doesn't alter the file system at all. I'm literally typing this post on Linux Mint, with the "casefold" flag set via "tune2fs" in the way I described. Weird.

For giggles, I downloaded Edge ISO again from here (https://linuxmint.com/download.php) and the same thing happened when I ran the tune2fs command on /dev/sda2 (that's where / is mounted) and it boots into Grub. Not sure why.

• DareshiranuDareshiranu Posts: 191

I just heard that Nvidia is open sourcing its drivers, to Linux if I'm not mistaken. Might that not be the solution to making Daz Studio play nice insofar as IRay, or simply working properly in some less convoluted manner? I haven't tried, but honestly I'd switch over in a heartbeat if I could use Daz in Linux. I've got a lot of games on Steam, but I'm not so obsessed that I can't just play whatever works. I'm just a little disenchanted with Microsoft after decades of use. I'm fairly certain everything else I do could be accomplished on Linux.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,397

Problem is DAZ isn't interested in making the other parts of Studio work in Linux.

They fall back on the old "ther's to many distrubutions" line which is ancient and obsolete

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,486

Robert Freise said:

Problem is DAZ isn't interested in making the other parts of Studio work in Linux.

They fall back on the old "ther's to many distrubutions" line which is ancient and obsolete

I don't think Daz does that, they simply say they don't support Linux. They are not obliged to give an explanation (and if they did I suspect it would either be market share or possibly the lack/unhelpful license terms of some third-party libraries that DS needs - but that isn't soemthing daz has said so don't quote it as if it was)

• edited July 25

Dareshiranu said:

I haven't tried, but honestly I'd switch over in a heartbeat if I could use Daz in Linux.

For what it's worth, I've gone ahead and taken the plunge. I spent the weekend scraping Windows off all but one laptop only because I have some programs that don't really have a Linux variant. My daily driver is now Linux only and DAZ  runs pretty well under Wine. Both dForce and iRay are working  with no issue (so far). And yes, I understand it's not supported by DAZ. I've been working to streamline the setup and have an updated "recipe". If anyone wants it, just ask.

Post edited by mvrazel_8516000a69 on
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

brainmuffin said:

mvrazel_8516000a69 said:

I'm surpised that "tune2fs" would do that. It only sets a flag in the file system that allows you to mark a directory as case insensitive, but otherwise doesn't alter the file system at all. I'm literally typing this post on Linux Mint, with the "casefold" flag set via "tune2fs" in the way I described. Weird.

For giggles, I downloaded Edge ISO again from here (https://linuxmint.com/download.php) and the same thing happened when I ran the tune2fs command on /dev/sda2 (that's where / is mounted) and it boots into Grub. Not sure why.

Are you sure you need tune2fs? I've been running just fine without it. In fact I've never heard of it until now.

Just plain Mint. All I did was switch the desktop to KDE.

• edited July 26

This is still sort of a work-in-progress. "tune2fs" is (was?) an attempt at addressing the "suddenly going missing" of assets that occaisionally happens when running DAZ under Linux. I traced that down to assets sometimes having two or more different cases for the same directory, resulting in two or more disctinct directories being made in the file system (e.g, "DAZ 3D" and "Daz 3D"). It seems to confuse things in a way that sometimes hides assets. This is particularly problematic if you're trying to use a Linux-native Blender with the bridge. Without it, you have to make dozens more links when wiring it in. My goal has been to make the experience on Linux as close to 1-for-1 as possible as it is under Windows.

I believe I've found a better way to handle the occaisional casing issues -- install Wine (and DAZ) into an NTFS partition. So far, it seems to have cleared up all the occaisional weird casing problems.

Cool. Sounds interesting.

• jsonnulljsonnull Posts: 0

Unfortunately I'm not able to get Daz working with my GPU on NixOS using the 550 driver or the 555 driver. My Daz logfile is showing that the CUDA version is coming back as 0.0, which is less than the required 11 version.

nvidia-smi shows my CUDA version correctly. I've gotten cuda support working in other apps, this process is generally well-documented here: https://wiki.nixos.org/wiki/CUDA. Notably, one typically sets `LD_LIBRARY_PATH` to the location of the cuda toolkit.

I am using ssopler's nvlibs, and I've run this with `WINEDEBUG=-all,+nvcuda,+nvml` as well to verify that they're invoked.

SveSop, if you read this, I'm happy to make a GitHub issue as well to track down what my issue is, even though I'm sure this is well within the realm of Nix-being-Nix and not the libraries, but I'm fairly well out of ideas on how to narrow this down any further.

I upgraded to Linux Mint 22. Took a bit to get the drivers rigtht and it didn't like the WineHQ repo, but I have WINE staging running and 550 NVidia drivers. GPU support is still there. Haven't tried the simulation engine yet though.

jsonnull said:

Unfortunately I'm not able to get Daz working with my GPU on NixOS using the 550 driver or the 555 driver. My Daz logfile is showing that the CUDA version is coming back as 0.0, which is less than the required 11 version.

nvidia-smi shows my CUDA version correctly. I've gotten cuda support working in other apps, this process is generally well-documented here: https://wiki.nixos.org/wiki/CUDA. Notably, one typically sets `LD_LIBRARY_PATH` to the location of the cuda toolkit.

I am using ssopler's nvlibs, and I've run this with `WINEDEBUG=-all,+nvcuda,+nvml` as well to verify that they're invoked.

SveSop, if you read this, I'm happy to make a GitHub issue as well to track down what my issue is, even though I'm sure this is well within the realm of Nix-being-Nix and not the libraries, but I'm fairly well out of ideas on how to narrow this down any further.

You can make a git issue and post the logfile with WINEDEBUG=-all,+nvcuda,+nvml and also perhaps one with WINEDEBUG=+loaddll and ill have a look at them :)

S

• edited August 4

brainmuffin said:

I upgraded to Linux Mint 22. Took a bit to get the drivers rigtht and it didn't like the WineHQ repo, but I have WINE staging running and 550 NVidia drivers. GPU support is still there. Haven't tried the simulation engine yet though.

Sweet! I was thinking I might try scraping and reloading this with the new version myself. Interesting bit about the WineHQ repo. I'll see if I can work that out.

I thought I asked this before, but I cannot find it. The fonts for Studio are now so small, I have barely see them. Even doe default Mint 22, I've turned the monitor scale to 150% and most of the system fonts to 13 point. Is there anyway to turn the fonts in Studio for menus, etc to a larger size?

edited August 14

@mvrazel_8516000a69 I finally ran into that capitalization problem you were talking about. Not gonna lie, I took the coward's way out ... I ran the Windows version of Blender in the same wine prefix as DS. laugh

I've dealt with Win/Lin casing issues before and I'm not going through that again.

daz studio benchmark render

Screenshot_20240813_232509.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 310K
    Post edited by Kitsumo on
  • korbkorb Posts: 7

Imvrazel_8516000a69 said:

This is still sort of a work-in-progress. "tune2fs" is (was?) an attempt at addressing the "suddenly going missing" of assets that occaisionally happens when running DAZ under Linux. I traced that down to assets sometimes having two or more different cases for the same directory, resulting in two or more disctinct directories being made in the file system (e.g, "DAZ 3D" and "Daz 3D"). It seems to confuse things in a way that sometimes hides assets. This is particularly problematic if you're trying to use a Linux-native Blender with the bridge. Without it, you have to make dozens more links when wiring it in. My goal has been to make the experience on Linux as close to 1-for-1 as possible as it is under Windows.

I believe I've found a better way to handle the occaisional casing issues -- install Wine (and DAZ) into an NTFS partition. So far, it seems to have cleared up all the occaisional weird casing problems.

Interesting! So you're saying create a partition with a native NTFS filesystem on it and put my WINE drive there? Brilliant in it's simplicity, thanks! Unfortunately, I then lose a bunch of features of ZFS that I am using today, though perhaps NTFS has improved since I used Windoze 10+ years ago and it has analogous features (e.g. native snapshots, etc.).

Also curious - which version of Daz are you using? I am still on 4.21 because when I tried to switch to 4.22 shortly after it came out it wouldn't work due to new CUDA libs not being supported. That was like 8 months ago, so maybe I just missed it and that issue has been resolved?

brainmuffin said:

I thought I asked this before, but I cannot find it. The fonts for Studio are now so small, I have barely see them. Even doe default Mint 22, I've turned the monitor scale to 150% and most of the system fonts to 13 point. Is there anyway to turn the fonts in Studio for menus, etc to a larger size?

I saw a post about this last year (but I didn't save it). Apparently, there is no way to change font size in Daz proper, and it ignores the Windows font sizes, too. Something about the runtime engine that it uses and lack of integration with system fonts. Sorry, I don't remember the specifics, but I would love to get this resolved, too, as my eyes aren't getting any younger and I have to really strain to see some of what is on my screen, even though I have large 32" monitors (2560x1440 native resolution).

korb said:

brainmuffin said:

I saw a post about this last year (but I didn't save it). Apparently, there is no way to change font size in Daz proper, and it ignores the Windows font sizes, too. Something about the runtime engine that it uses and lack of integration with system fonts. Sorry, I don't remember the specifics, but I would love to get this resolved, too, as my eyes aren't getting any younger and I have to really strain to see some of what is on my screen, even though I have large 32" monitors (2560x1440 native resolution).

Thanks. I came across something similar as well. Might be fixed in the next major release.

korb said:

Imvrazel_8516000a69 said:

Interesting! So you're saying create a partition with a native NTFS filesystem on it and put my WINE drive there? Brilliant in it's simplicity, thanks! Unfortunately, I then lose a bunch of features of ZFS that I am using today, though perhaps NTFS has improved since I used Windoze 10+ years ago and it has analogous features (e.g. native snapshots, etc.).

Also curious - which version of Daz are you using? I am still on 4.21 because when I tried to switch to 4.22 shortly after it came out it wouldn't work due to new CUDA libs not being supported. That was like 8 months ago, so maybe I just missed it and that issue has been resolved?

I should really check this thread more often! I see that our savior ssopler got the nvlibs stuff working with the new CUDA libs back in January! Wonderful work, my man! 4.21 has still been working for me, but I definitely want to get to 4.22 and later as I expect I will be missing out on nice new features if I don't. I also scanned through all of the posts since, and two other posts are particularly interesting: the IRay server option and the recipe for installing Daz on Mint (my distro, too) and getting it working. I think I'll create a new WINE directory and try to install 4.22 there from scratch and see if I can get everything working. Since 4.21 is working well, I don't want to tempt fate and try to upgrade that working installation.

...and I will reply to myself one more time - I can have the best of both worlds, according to this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/uswuv6/how_to_set_folder_as_caseinsenstive_with_btrfs/

About ten replies in I found this gem:

Use ZFS. It lets you create case insensitive filesystems from pools by doing zfs create casesensitivity=insensitive $pool/$fs.

So I'll try my new 4.22 installation on a new WINE C drive and also put the entire installation in a zfs filesystem with case insensitivity enabled. It may take me a few days to find the time to work on this, but if/when I do and can confirm, I will reply to this and let you all know how I fared.

edited September 12

After working for months, Studio is now broken for me under WINE-Staging. Not sure which update may have caused it.

Post edited by brainmuffin on
  • greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 501
    edited September 18

Ok I just made the switch to linux this past weekend after getting fed up with problems in windows 11 and I was curious on some folks thoughts about using Lutris vs bottles for installing DS.   Any pros and/or cons for either way?

Also I saw that mvrazel_8516000a69 had DS working with linux native blender via the daz to blender bridge and I was curious what was needed to set that up as well.  Also looking at diffeomorphic for the daz -> blender stuff.

Post edited by greymouser69 on

greymouser69 said:

Ok I just made the switch to linux this past weekend after getting fed up with problems in windows 11 and I was curious on some folks thoughts about using Lutris vs bottles for installing DS.   Any pros and/or cons for either way?

Also I saw that mvrazel_8516000a69 had DS working with linux native blender via the daz to blender bridge and I was curious what was needed to set that up as well.  Also looking at diffeomorphic for the daz -> blender stuff.

Not a huge "automation fan" myself tbh, but it CAN be done if jumping through some hoops. Main issue being if you use nvidia-libs "package" and my setup script.. that creates symlinks to the relevant .dll's and when using Bottles atleast, that wont fly very well. (Suppose you can fiddle with Flatseal and give full permissions, but that kinda defeats the purpose).

Bottles comes with toggle-switches for DXVK and DXVK-NVAPI, so what you really need is 64-bit nvcuda, and nvoptix. Those are located in the nvidia-libs archive in lib64/wine/x86_64-unix, and if you rename nvoptix.dll.so -> nvoptix.dll, and nvcuda.dll.so -> nvcuda.dll and just copy those into the bottle prefix under drive_c/windows/system32 you should be good to go.. (pay attention to "should" tho).