Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.4.1.69, Now Available! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• I really don't like the adds popups in the lastest Install Manager, there's enough of that in the Marketplace!

I will uninstall it and do manual downloads from now on.

InstallManager adds.PNG
    1262 x 798 - 211K
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,809
    edited December 2023

giarbi said:

I really don't like the adds popups in the lastest Install Manager, there's enough of that in the Marketplace!

The botton one is especially annoying, as it keeps coming back when closed and covering part of the product list. 

It's kind of late for ads; we are installing the things we ALREADY BOUGHT!!! frown

Post edited by WandW on
  • The bottom ad appears only when actively downloading, so in general people would be likely not to be wanting to work in the list at that point I would expect. The window is resizable, in any event, so it could be stretched vertically to show more of the list.

• giarbi said:

I really don't like the adds popups in the lastest Install Manager, there's enough of that in the Marketplace!

Most of the time, what I do is manually download and drag the zip files into DIM's downloads folder. Open up DIM and you can go straight to installing. I find manually downloading is significantly faster than downloading through DIM as too many times it stalls or fails or downloads at a snail's pace. I just saw this annoying arse banner today and will be manually downloading from now on. I'll still use DIM to install.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,359
    edited December 2023

Advertising banners are nothing new (NVIDIA driver installers contain adverts for their products), and it is relevant to DAZ Studio and the store. At least the option exist to close the top banner and hide the bottom one.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • That damn banner ad at the bottom is back again. It needs to be gone again.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,035

After realizing that it would take 55 days to copy/move my files from the 4Tb drive to the new 14Tb drive, I started over after deleting what had been moved, and after adjusting the paths in DIM and in Daz Studio, installed the critical DAZ files and tested some files. Everything worked fine. I had DIM delete the installed files afterwards. Then yesterday afternoon, it stopped deleting them. That only happened when it had found files already installed previously. Is it possible that DIM is remembering the files I had installed onto the 4TB drive some how? At this point I am having to manually delete the files from the download folder when done. I tried closing down the computer and opening everything back up, thinking it was overloaded, but it kept happening. Haven't looked at the log. Need to.

I am also having to work in smaller groups because the previous night, I did one last big one and an overflow of .dsx files was put onto my desktop onto icons for programs and across my screen. I was able yesterday morning to collect them from file manager and move them into the DIM download folder again. I have never seen this before. 

• memcneil70 said:

After realizing that it would take 55 days to copy/move my files from the 4Tb drive to the new 14Tb drive, I started over after deleting what had been moved, and after adjusting the paths in DIM and in Daz Studio, installed the critical DAZ files and tested some files. Everything worked fine. I had DIM delete the installed files afterwards. Then yesterday afternoon, it stopped deleting them. That only happened when it had found files already installed previously. Is it possible that DIM is remembering the files I had installed onto the 4TB drive some how? At this point I am having to manually delete the files from the download folder when done. I tried closing down the computer and opening everything back up, thinking it was overloaded, but it kept happening. Haven't looked at the log. Need to.

I am also having to work in smaller groups because the previous night, I did one last big one and an overflow of .dsx files was put onto my desktop onto icons for programs and across my screen. I was able yesterday morning to collect them from file manager and move them into the DIM download folder again. I have never seen this before. 

DIM can only go by what you have specified in Settings.

Gear icon - Advanced Settings - Downloads\Installation.

On the Downloads tab there is Package Archive at the top. This tells DIM where to download the files to.
    On the Installation tab, there is Manifest Archive at the top. This tells DIM what is installed.

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,126

What format is the 14 TB drive using? NTFS? Exfat?

Exfat uses a very large cluster size on disk. As such, small files ( the .dsx files DIM downloads) cause a lot of read/update/rewrite actions. NTFS uses a 4K cluster size and works much faster.

Thank you for replying. I looked into your concerns. The 14Tb F: drive is NTFS, the drive I am pulling data from is Exfat and used normally on my desktop to store the downloaded Daz files after installing them onto its Daz Studio by DIM. The E: drive where I am going to have My Daz Library (non-Daz products) is Exfat and I just tried to shift to NTFS and that didn't work. 

I noticed on my DIM Installation tab the Content Database Base is supposed to be at C:/Users/marym/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms but I was unable to locate it. I am still getting familiar with Windows 11 but didn't it use to be somewhere else? Am I supposed to create a folder for it? I know I wouldn't change anything to do with the 'cms' or the actual program. Too afraid of mucking everything up. And that is greyed out anyways.

I have attached snips of my paths as in DIM and in File Manager and what Properties says the external F: drive is.

Up until late Wednesday afternoon, DIM was working fine, and then it started to get weird. I did have an update to the Beta waiting for me at the end of last night, which I installed along with its additional packages. 

On a side note on the advertising. I downloaded a group of things on my MacBookPro this morning and that lower advertisement kept popping up. Everytime I clicked go, every time. Once a session, I can handle. But when I have files that a 1Gb in size, and there were six of them for one product, I do them one at a time, so more than six clicks to kill the advert. Please, stop it already. Please, respectively stop.

Mary

Downloads tab and C drive.png
    928 x 571 - 48K
    Installation on F drive.png
    1153 x 822 - 143K
    Installation Tab where is AppData.png
    1177 x 633 - 90K
  • memcneil70 said:

I noticed on my DIM Installation tab the Content Database Base is supposed to be at C:/Users/marym/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms but I was unable to locate it. I am still getting familiar with Windows 11 but didn't it use to be somewhere else? Am I supposed to create a folder for it? I know I wouldn't change anything to do with the 'cms' or the actual program. Too afraid of mucking everything up. And that is greyed out anyways.

No, that should be done automatically. You can try set it in Daz Studio itself:

Edit - Preferences (or F2) - CMS Settings tab

DIM should pick it up, make sure it is not running while you try that.

• Why is Daz trying to make me hate the Install Manager now? I've always liked it. But now they insist on banners at the top and the bottom. And they reappear with any new download or refresh of the DIM. Whats next, scrolling banners along the sides? I swear I refuse to buy anything else from Daz until they remove it. All future purchases will be from the other stores. 

DoctorJellybean said:

memcneil70 said:

DoctorJellybean, where is the recommended location for AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms? I know that I also didn't mess with that option inside the Daz Studio settings. Just set my file structure and preferences for opening and such, like not logging into Daz automatically.

Mary

• memcneil70 said:

DoctorJellybean said:

memcneil70 said:

DoctorJellybean, where is the recommended location for AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/cms? I know that I also didn't mess with that option inside the Daz Studio settings. Just set my file structure and preferences for opening and such, like not logging into Daz automatically.

Mary

You can use the default, or you can specify your own. Mine is in a location of my choice, on a different drive:

E:\DS\Database

I found where win 11 put it, in One Drive! I found a group of files doing a seach up to roaming. I need to move them out of One Drive. I also found other programs stuffed into One Drive as well.

Screenshot 2023-12-23 084742.png
    1479 x 620 - 59K

Is there a way to keep One Drive from taking over file storage?

• memcneil70 said:

Is there a way to keep One Drive from taking over file storage?

Yes, by turning it off or disabling it. As you are using Windows 11

https://www.lifewire.com/disable-onedrive-windows-11-6281043

Thank you so much DoctorJellybean. Not only have you helped me on the cms issue, but it made me finally hook up my Corel PaintShop Pro file to DIM so I can download my diveny bushes. If I could send you a slice of my 'fresh out of the oven' homemade apple pie, I would. But I wish you to have a wonderful holiday period.

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,442

One Drive includes several folder by default, which you can de-select in OneDrive Settings, or download/install your content to another location not in that list.

• I would like to add my dislike of the ads in DIM.  Found a work around for ads in DAZ when creating a new scene, guess I'll have to figure out a work around for the DIM one as well.  I look almost every day at the main shop page to see what's been released.  Really don't need to see it again in the DAZ program or DIM.  I respectfully request no ads in the program or DIM.

• The ad in DIM is trivially easy to hide... simply hover your mouse near the upper right corner of the ad, looking for the [...] that then comes up,  which will then turn into a __ and you can click that to collapse the ad pane downward out of sight.

• It's not hard to hide, but doing it every time you start downloading something is a nuisance, especially since the collapse button isn't available immediately.

I have been logged into DIM this morning and all of a sudden I was logged out. Attempts to log back in failed. I checked my log in email and re-entered my password and it didn't help. I went onto the DAZ site and logged out and back in without issue. I didn't see any reference to an outage of the DIM server.

Is something going on?

Mary

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,945

memcneil70 said:

I have been logged into DIM this morning and all of a sudden I was logged out. Attempts to log back in failed. I checked my log in email and re-entered my password and it didn't help. I went onto the DAZ site and logged out and back in without issue. I didn't see any reference to an outage of the DIM server.

Is something going on?

Mary

I can't log in to DIM either.

Screenshot 2023-12-27 132021.jpg
    540 x 311 - 28K
  • I'm seeing the same thing.  It must be a server error.

Thanks, good to know it is not just me. 

• Yes, it is the server.

It seems to be up. Accepted my log-in! Thank you DAZ Team.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,920

I just reported the issue with logging into DIM and DS

Yes, it just went down again on me when I moved some files into the download folder.