UltraScenery - new(er) territory [Commercial]

Comments

• I would suggest that may be the desert moduel is not installed correctly or your version is some how corrupted, so try uninstalling it, and re installing it in DIM - that way if any of the files have some how gotten messed up on install it should refresh them iwth good ones.  neither the sage or the wood have particularly large texture maps which could delay things.  

sid said: 

barbult said:

Do you have the Aux Viewport pane in your workspace layout and set to Iray Preview perhaps? That is the only thing I can think of that might cause the Iray render to be going on when your Viewport pane is in Wireframe.

Sorry for the slow reply - it takes a while to generate the test scenes to failure

I didn't even realise there was a seperate Aux Viewpoint and I've been playing with Daz for 3 years now! I did have it on and closed it. Tried again. Same error.

But, it does seem to be a combination of the sage AND the fallen wood causing the error and the intial hang. If I turn off both the sage AND the fallen wood the scene generates no problem. I'm pretty sure fallen wood and sage in other scenes works.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,014

I would suggest that may be the desert moduel is not installed correctly or your version is some how corrupted, so try uninstalling it, and re installing it in DIM - that way if any of the files have some how gotten messed up on install it should refresh them iwth good ones.  neither the sage or the wood have particularly large texture maps which could delay things.  

sid said: 

barbult said:

Do you have the Aux Viewport pane in your workspace layout and set to Iray Preview perhaps? That is the only thing I can think of that might cause the Iray render to be going on when your Viewport pane is in Wireframe.

Sorry for the slow reply - it takes a while to generate the test scenes to failure

I didn't even realise there was a seperate Aux Viewpoint and I've been playing with Daz for 3 years now! I did have it on and closed it. Tried again. Same error.

But, it does seem to be a combination of the sage AND the fallen wood causing the error and the intial hang. If I turn off both the sage AND the fallen wood the scene generates no problem. I'm pretty sure fallen wood and sage in other scenes works.

No, the ecology files have errors.
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,809

barbult said:

Martinjfrost said:

I would suggest that may be the desert moduel is not installed correctly or your version is some how corrupted, so try uninstalling it, and re installing it in DIM - that way if any of the files have some how gotten messed up on install it should refresh them iwth good ones.  neither the sage or the wood have particularly large texture maps which could delay things.  

sid said: 

barbult said:

so my 2+ hour render times are not me or my computer, but perhaps errors in the files for the desert ecologies?  

edited December 2023

daveso said:

barbult said:

so my 2+ hour render times are not me or my computer, but perhaps errors in the files for the desert ecologies?  

Probably not. The errors either cause the build to never finish (if you don't have Accelerator plugin) or fallen wood instances to not show up at all and sage affinity to be incorrect. Only some of the ecologies have errors. I didn't notice an increase in render times, but you can easily fix the errors to confirm that yourself. Which ecology and feature are you using? Is it rendering in the GPU or did if fall to CPU? Do you have other items in the scene? What lighting are you using. Are there warnings or error messages in the log file?

Post edited by barbult on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 761
    edited January 7

Finally putting to use the UltraScenery - Volumetric Clouds that I bought a while back.

Mega Terrain With Clouds.png
    3200 x 1200 - 6M
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,535
    Looks like a beautiful painting. Thanks for sharing.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,341

Looks great, AnEye4Art

An interesting thing that has shortened my render times, A LOT. I received an email from Digitial Art Live Studio talking about fine tuning DAZ etc .. I browsed to the post and it linked to a video on Youtube that explained how to set up Nvidia Control Panel, and DAZ Studio to optimize render times. Wow ... Remember those really slow USC scenes renders I was having. I've now done 2 desert ecologies, one took 7min 8 sec. The next 14min 2 seconds, and a third 3 minutes 7 seconds. 

this is the video url  https://youtu.be/uVAr-cYZ6eg   I'm not sure if these settings have any affect on the card, heat generation, etc, but they do work. There was quite a bit of changes in the Nvidia panel...it only affects the DAZ exe file too, as you select what program to set up. 

I also rendered a figure , clothed, hair, with lights and it rendered in 7 seconds. I've done 5 single character renders and none were over 10 seconds. This is screaming. 

edited February 8

daveso said:

An interesting thing that has shortened my render times, A LOT. I received an email from Digitial Art Live Studio talking about fine tuning DAZ etc .. I browsed to the post and it linked to a video on Youtube that explained how to set up Nvidia Control Panel, and DAZ Studio to optimize render times. Wow ... Remember those really slow USC scenes renders I was having. I've now done 2 desert ecologies, one took 7min 8 sec. The next 14min 2 seconds, and a third 3 minutes 7 seconds. 

this is the video url  https://youtu.be/uVAr-cYZ6eg   I'm not sure if these settings have any affect on the card, heat generation, etc, but they do work. There was quite a bit of changes in the Nvidia panel...it only affects the DAZ exe file too, as you select what program to set up. 

I also rendered a figure , clothed, hair, with lights and it rendered in 7 seconds. I've done 5 single character renders and none were over 10 seconds. This is screaming. 

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look when I am back at that computer.

Edit: I finally got to try the settings. I can't confirm magic improvements, but I don't have good reference timing to compare too. I wasn't having the terrible slowness that you were experiencing, so maybe I already had some better settings. Anyway, I haven't noticed any bad results, so maybe it is helping. It does seem the Iray Preview is better, but I am using the Public Build (beta), which keeps getting updates, so so what I run today doesn't match what I ran a few weeks ago. It makes it hard to know where improvements actually come from.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited February 8

I just did another render. Its had som postwork applied, but the render is what it is. USC ..desert 10. 2 figures, hair, clothes, using HDR lighting.  2 minutes 42 seconds. That blows my mind actually. 

2 in desert water hole.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 497K
    Post edited by daveso on

That seems FAST!

• barbult said:

daveso said:

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look when I am back at that computer.

Edit: I finally got to try the settings. I can't confirm magic improvements, but I don't have good reference timing to compare too. I wasn't having the terrible slowness that you were experiencing, so maybe I already had some better settings. Anyway, I haven't noticed any bad results, so maybe it is helping. It does seem the Iray Preview is better, but I am using the Public Build (beta), which keeps getting updates, so so what I run today doesn't match what I ran a few weeks ago. It makes it hard to know where improvements actually come from.

I'll give it a try next time I have the art computer turned on. I'm still running 4.21 as a production instance; only using 4.22 when I want to use Face Transfer 2. (Side job season=no spare time to troubleshoot trouble, if upgrading the working production instance breaks it.)

barbult said:

That seems FAST!

yes. its insane. What did I do wrong ? laugh  Seriously, it makes no sense. Especially going from 2+ hours to even and hour would be crazy, but my settings were way different. I've been getting single ortrait renders in under 10 seconds, with most around 2 minutes, resolution turned max.  
    This is the one above zoomed in to one woman. It took 2:02

desert2jpg.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 256K
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,341
    edited February 9

The important thing is that you have found good settings for your graphics card, Daveso,

so you can enjoy your investment.

Post edited by Artini on
  • daveso said:

I just did another render. Its had som postwork applied, but the render is what it is. USC ..desert 10. 2 figures, hair, clothes, using HDR lighting.  2 minutes 42 seconds. That blows my mind actually. 

Can I ask who's the character on the right? Regards, Richard.

richardandtracy said:

daveso said:

Can I ask who's the character on the right? Regards, Richard.

yes. She is CJ Lynx For Genesis 9   I think I need to adjust the focal distance though ....  

• Thanks. You managed to get a character I'd dismissed as 'quite uninteresting' to look 'pretty spectacular' instead.  Looks good, and just shows how much of a bad judge I am.

Regards,

Richard

• daveso said:

I have tried this, and found that to all intents & purposes, it made no difference on my machine. The first display seemed to happen faster, but the finished render, if anything, took marginally longer. I have attached the render (but as it's not a US render I've not shown it in the body of this post) . This morning it rendered in 26 minutes 30-ish seconds. After the 'Tune-up', this evening the render time was 27 minutes 15 seconds. Not worth quibbling about. My machine: i5-13600k, RTX 3060, 64 Gb RAM, WIn 11, DS 4.21.0.5 (?) It's the first 4.21 stable release anyway. Updated the driver too to the 551.36 standard.

Regards,

Richard

Glamorous Vickie 47b R04.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M

richardandtracy said:

daveso said:

I have tried this, and found that to all intents & purposes, it made no difference on my machine. The first display seemed to happen faster, but the finished render, if anything, took marginally longer. I have attached the render (but as it's not a US render I've not shown it in the body of this post) . This morning it rendered in 26 minutes 30-ish seconds. After the 'Tune-up', this evening the render time was 27 minutes 15 seconds. Not worth quibbling about. My machine: i5-13600k, RTX 3060, 64 Gb RAM, WIn 11, DS 4.21.0.5 (?) It's the first 4.21 stable release anyway. Updated the driver too to the 551.36 standard.

Regards,

Richard

its a nice render. It would be interesting to see if the results are the same across the board. 

I think my settings were way out of line for my system. I have a 4080. I was actually disappointed  when I first started rendering with it, hardly any improvement than what I got with my 2070 Super. It was one of those buy the fun toy and nearly sent it back. This now at least gives me hope. I'm chugging away and so far pretty much everything I've tried is rendering really fast, the way I expected it to. Things feel more fun, plus I can experiment without having to let it incubate for a few hours before tweaking again. 2-3 minute portrait renders is awesome, especially with Ultrascenery as background. It makes me wonder what I'm not doing laugh

• I gave it a go, but Daz had an issue locating drivers afterward. Restoring to default seems to have resolved that and it can render my test scene with similar performance as before the test.

paulawp (marahzen) said:

I gave it a go, but Daz had an issue locating drivers afterward. Restoring to default seems to have resolved that and it can render my test scene with similar performance as before the test.

there's a lot of stuff to change, easy to miss something, or change wrong thing. Are you using studio drivers for your nvidia graphics card?  

• daveso said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

I gave it a go, but Daz had an issue locating drivers afterward. Restoring to default seems to have resolved that and it can render my test scene with similar performance as before the test.

there's a lot of stuff to change, easy to miss something, or change wrong thing. Are you using studio drivers for your nvidia graphics card?  

Yes, and I had recently updated to the latest available studio driver. If I were perceiving slowness, I probably would've pursued it further and at least tried again, but for now, I'll keep the link and maybe revisit later. 

• ZiconZicon Posts: 276

daveso said:

Can anyone give a text summary of this for those of us who can't process video?

Zicon said:

daveso said:

Can anyone give a text summary of this for those of us who can't process video?

i tried to post the transcript that is with the video but this forum would not allow me to. its too long. I think it would be a huge job to try and dig out the steps. The images of where to make changes are for sure necessary. It was not an easy thing following the video. A text with images would be much better for sure.  

• Zicon, I have similar problems with videos. I'll see if I can transcribe the actions needed rather than the words, which went so fast I had to stop & rewind many, many times. I'll try to do within a week. Regards, Richard.

richardandtracy said:

Zicon, I have similar problems with videos. I'll see if I can transcribe the actions needed rather than the words, which went so fast I had to stop & rewind many, many times. I'll try to do within a week. Regards, Richard.

me too on rewinding. it was very tedious.  

If you watch the video on YouTube you can click the settings gear and adjust the speed. Set it down to 0.5 and you might not need to rewind. You will still probably want to stop and start so you can make the corresponding change on your system.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 152915.jpg
    307 x 478 - 22K
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,042

I wish I had known that! The speaking rate was driving me nuts. I watched and listened to it on my iMac, and tried to adjust on my new laptop with a 4090 card. I tested it on a render that I had done earlier that morning. It took 13 seconds longer. I've been thinking I might want to test on one of my older computers with the 1080 or 1080Ti cards to see if it would improve them. I noticed the presenter was using a 1660 card. Or did I imagine it? Maybe it is more for older cards?

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,042

@daveso, I really like your picture very much. It evokes the desert very well. 

• HighlandHighland Posts: 164

memcneil70 said:

I wish I had known that! The speaking rate was driving me nuts...

The guy in the video could do disclaimers for commercials.

I made all of the setting changes - they were originally all on default. It made no difference for me. The render times were identical before and after. I'm still on 4.21, with a 3090.