BJ Camera Manager (Commercial)

Comments

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,201

bluejaunte said:

jardine said:

looks nice, bluejaunte.  i loved your promos.  your spokesperson did an excellent job.  :)

just wondering.  does this script include an option to create a new camera based on the currently selected view in viewport?  (i almost never use perspective view.  i have a core set of about seven cameras i use as go-tos for various focal lengths and headlamp on/off situations.)

j

Thanks :) No, it's always Perspective View. Could think about that if there's a ever version 2 but I feel it would just get confusing.

I'd suggest to let go of those predefined cameras and go with the plugin. You'll be so fast managing camera and to set focal length or headlamp just click the camera name button or the corresponding shortcut key and set those options. Focal length especially I feel that is not a predefinable thing anyway, you want to set this to your preferred look while rendering preview is running and just lookdev it. Same for F/Stop value to get the preferred blurring of the backgorund.

The idea here is also that the main viewport is set to Perspective View pretty much all the time. The combination of rendering a camera in Aux and having Perspective View in main viewport allows for the fastest interaction speed while preview is rendering. You can easily test this yourself. Start render preview in Main viewport, now try to move an arm or something. It's sluggish. Stop the render there and start render preview in the Aux viewport instead. Now move the arm in Perspective View and see how smooth it is. 

Though again I totally understand not everyone is going to have the possibility of having a decent sized Aux viewport open. I have it open on a side monitor while interacting with the Perspective View in the main viewport on the center monitor. 

The only time I load a camera into the main viewport is if I want to adjust its position after the fact. The way I usually do that these days is to load the camera into the Aux viewport (it's probably already rendering there anyway if I wanna change something about it). I then hit CTRL ALT Left Arrow to load the camera that is active in Aux into the Main viewport. Now I move it around there and once I'm happy I put the Perspective View back in the Main viewport by hitting CTRL ALT SHIFT Left Arrow. Those 2 shortcuts are part of 4 helper shortcuts that have no buttons in the plugin but seemed really helpful.

Aux Camera To Main CTRL ALT Left
    Main Camera To Aux CTRL ALT Right
    Persp Camera To Main CTRL ALT SHIFT Right
    Persp Camera To Aux CTRL ALT SHIFT Left

And of course the direction of these swaps with the Main/Aux swap button explained in the promos :)

thanks!  interesting and likely useful information.

:)

j

• Hello, your script is awesome!
    Can you add a button to switch for the next and previous cam ? Sometime i want to switch and look at a specific part of the screen and can't search for a specific buttton.

• bluejauntebluejaunte Posts: 1,888

jeremie.dev said:

Hello, your script is awesome!
    Can you add a button to switch for the next and previous cam ? Sometime i want to switch and look at a specific part of the screen and can't search for a specific buttton.

Thanks! That's actually a pretty good idea. At the moment I can't spend any more time on this but I'll keep it in mind. Especially as shortcut keys that sounds pretty cool.

The DIM issue has been fixed at last.

• DIM failed to install. Can I just place it in the Plugin folder?

lenjen09_a04520c3aa said:

DIM failed to install. Can I just place it in the Plugin folder?

Yeah sure. DIM doesn't seem to love plugins very much?

For those installing manually. You probably know this but the 2 folders in the zip (plugins and docs) go into your Daz Studio installation folder.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

bluejaunte said:

lenjen09_a04520c3aa said:

DIM failed to install. Can I just place it in the Plugin folder?

Yeah sure. DIM doesn't seem to love plugins very much?

For those installing manually. You probably know this but the 2 folders in the zip (plugins and docs) go into your Daz Studio installation folder.

They probably configured it incorrectly, DIM shouldn't have a problem with plugins.  Just make sure Daz Studio has completely closed down before installing. 

• If you know where to put the Plugins its pretty easy.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,973
    edited February 10

@bluejaunte When I click +Camera, it immediately crashes Daz Studio with an access violation. This happens in 4.22.1.74 Public Build and 4.21.0.5 General Release.
    I am running on Windows 10 with NVIDIA driver 546.33.

Post edited by barbult on
  • barbult said:

@bluejaunte When I click +Camera, it immediately crashes Daz Studio with an access violation. This happens in 4.22.1.74 Public Build and 4.21.0.5 General Release.

I'm running 4.22.0.15 General Release and everything is working fine when I'm using +Camera

barbult said:

Sorry to hear. Has the plugin worked for you before or did you just buy it now?

bluejaunte said:

barbult said:

Sorry to hear. Has the plugin worked for you before or did you just buy it now?

Thanks for replying. I just finally bought it a couple days ago. The +Camera has never worked for me. Everything else I have tried in the plugin so far is working, The regular DS Create New Camera with  copy active view Perspective View works fine, so I don't think there is a problem with the underlying function that the plugin is trying to do with +Camera. I don't get any messages in the DS log; DS just suddenly crashes completely. Would the full crash log be useful? I just attached a couple crash screenshots.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 142600 +Camera Crash.jpg
    497 x 180 - 29K
    Screenshot 2024-02-10 142648 +Camera Crash.jpg
    533 x 511 - 99K

markusmatern said:

barbult said:

I'm running 4.22.0.15 General Release and everything is working fine when I'm using +Camera

That's a version of DS that I don't have installed, but it is good to hear that +Camera works for someone. Thanks, I wonder if there is a conflict with some other plugin I have installed or something.

I'm experimenting to see if I can find a reason for the +Camera crash. These tests were done in DS 4.22.1.74 Public Build

• I disabled all of the other PA plugins that I own, to see if there was a conflict problem. +Camera still crashed.
    • I opened the Aux Viewport tab, because I normally don't use it. +Camera still crashed. The camera switching between Main and Aux worked OK, though. I hadn't tried that before.
    • I discovered that the Persp Camera to Main and Persp Camera to Aux cause the main DS interface window to close, but undocked panes stay visible on the screen. Daz Studio application stays in the Task Manager in Not Responding state, and there was no crash report window popping up.
    • Another scenario that crashes DS completely for me is when I click on the button for the already active camera. See screenshot.
    Screenshot 2024-02-10 152709 Click already selected Camera.jpg
    676 x 332 - 37K
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583

I'm not getting a crash in Public Build 4.22.1.74 with +Camera in an empty scene.

I just got +Camera to not crash DS for the first time!
    I think the problem was caused by having a default scene containing a camera loaded at startup. I removed the camera from the startup scene file, and so far things seem to be working as intended.

barbult said:

I just got +Camera to not crash DS for the first time!
    I think the problem was caused by having a default scene containing a camera loaded at startup. I removed the camera from the startup scene file, and so far things seem to be working as intended.

Odd. I just enabled that in the preferences, made a new scene and hit +Camera and still nothing crashed. I just see a "Default Camera" in the list, that's it. Gonna be real tough to fix if I can't reproduce it. I'm using the plugin nonstop and no issues ever, let alone a crash. Beside you there was one other guy a while back with crashes though, which went away when he switched to the public build for some reason.

Maybe PM me the crash dump. Can at least have a look and try to find what might be the issue with this exceedingly innocent code that just creates a new camera based on Perspective View.

Thank you for your continued interest in fixing this +Camera issue. Some PAs don't follow up on things like this, so I appreciate those that do.

I PMed a link to a +Camera crash dump that I uploaded to dropbox. I couldn't attach it directly to a PM.

I believe the crash occurs when I have checked Create a "Default Camera" on the Scene tab of Preferences and have specified a Load File on the Startup tab of Preferences. At first I thought the problem only occurred when the Load File scene itself contained a camera. but now I'm not sure whether the Load File content matters. Even without a camera in the Load File scene, +Camera crashes if I have both a Load File and Create a Default Camera. There are so many possible combinations of things, it is hard to pin this down, but I think I have a very repeatable scenario with Load File and Create a "Default Camera" in Preferences at the same time. I'm eager to hear whether this scenario crashes for you, or anyone else who wants to try it.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 190958.jpg
    786 x 706 - 64K
    Screenshot 2024-02-10 191026.jpg
    781 x 706 - 46K

Thanks for the troubleshooting effort. Anything special about that load file? I've never had this enabled.

Oh very nice, that did crash. That should hopefully be pretty straightforward to fix now :)

bluejaunte said:

Oh very nice, that did crash. That should hopefully be pretty straightforward to fix now :)

That's great to hear! I'm enjoying the plugin.

edited February 11

Alright so the issue seems to be fixed, new version graciously tested by barbult.

It was a pretty weird thing. When the scene loads the plugin gets a reference to the Perspective View (internally that is just a regular camera). However, when the default camera option is enabled in the Preferences, at the moment when I get that reference, Daz Studio seems to have the default camera loaded into the viewport instead. So the reference I get is not to Perspective View but the default camera. Oddly enough, once the scene is finished loading, Daz Studio puts the Perspective View back into the main viewport so it is doubly confusing. You'd never know that it was ever not the Perspective View.

Anyway... it's all down hill from there. Crashes galore as I try to access what I think is the Perspective View but it's some weird ass camera instead. I'll submit an update. Thanks so much to barbult for her excellent troubleshooting skills.

Post edited by bluejaunte on

bluejaunte said:

...Thanks so much to barbult for his excellent troubleshooting skills.

her wink

barbult said:

bluejaunte said:

...Thanks so much to barbult for his excellent troubleshooting skills.

her wink

Oh right angel

• ZiconZicon Posts: 274

Whoops, looks like somebody mispackaged the update. The currently available zip only contains the Manifest.dsx and Supplement.dsx files, no actual plugin in sight. Updating with DIM will delete the existing plugin file.

I've sent off a ticket to Daz support, but mentioning it here as a warning to other users, since I've become pretty much dependent on this plugin after just a couple of days' use and I'm now having to do without crying

edited February 21

Lovely. Sorry for the screw up. I've let QA know as well, hopefully it won't take long to fix :(

Post edited by bluejaunte on

I hear that it should be fixed now.

bluejaunte said:

I hear that it should be fixed now.

You know the saying "Don't believe everything you hear.".  I think that was fake news.  The zip file for the update dated 2/21/2024 contains only manifest and supplement as far as I can see. Do you see something different?
    Ever since Josh Darling left, Daz has struggled to package plugins correctly for Install Manager.

• ZiconZicon Posts: 274

barbult said:

You know the saying "Don't believe everything you hear.".  I think that was fake news.  The zip file for the update dated 2/21/2024 contains only manifest and supplement as far as I can see. Do you see something different?

Can confirm it's still broken.

I will let them know... plugin publishing really seems borked. Release day was a mess as well angel