Course on creating skin textures

Comments

• yuyu.atemyuyu.atem Posts: 292
    edited September 16

Catherine3678ab said:

paint = fill  Basically the same thing, one is getting the information put on to the model. One has more control with painting, flood fill is certainly the fast way to coat the object.

Seams ... if the brush does not tile, it does not tile. Options include getting another brush to use. After filling as you've done, use a brush over the seams, painting over the seams to make it look correct.

Hmm, I am not sure to understand what you mean: what ever the brush or the texture that I use, I obtain seams when I fill. And when I want to paint directly with the hand, on the mesh with the different material groups, I don't find how to paint on the other templates: I succesed to paint only on the groups of the template1 (face, lips, etc). When I try to paint on the torso, nothing happen, event if the torso is selected. However, I can fill on it. And on  the mesh without material group, when I want to paint, I get someting very weird: when I paint on the face, it also paint on the bottom of the torso... I checked to documentation of Substance Painter, but I haven't find any explication...​

Post edited by yuyu.atem on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,402

Substance Painter has different projection options for fill layers. If you are projecting by UV, it should be fairly obvious that it would result in seams. If you are projecting by other options, they will also have problems, perhaps seams will still be an issue, perhaps other things will be an issue. https://helpx.adobe.com/substance-3d-painter/painting/fill-projections.html

Different UDIMs have different "texel density" so resolution of fill layer applied to all UDIMs will often suffer from the effect of different resoltuion on each UDIM.  (InTheFlesh has some different UV layouts which claim to have even texel density for G8 UDIMs - there's one for Male and one for Female G8 figures).

Either way, whether dealing with Texel Density issues or projeciton issues, may be difficult problem to resolve, so good luck.  It probably pays to bone up on fundamentals otherwise you will be stumped at every single stage of the process.

fdgfdgfdg.JPG
    796 x 536 - 66K

I cant quote reply right now but regarding your question about sculpting in Blender, note that Blender will never be "as good as" zBrush because it doenst handle highpoly subdivisions as well as zbrush, but if your computer can handle it, you can get pretty high poly in Blender, so on that basis Blender would be able to get you to subdivision required to be able to sculpt pore level details technically.  Outgang has some good videos you should definitely watch comparing Blender to Zbrush for sculpting high detail characters - her verdict seems to be mixed, suggesting it is very good in general, but maybe not so good at the pore level detail side of things.

However, I do not know any good brushes/vdms/alphas for making pores in Blender. I have seen many for sale but am suspicious of them because it is hard to make good ones and some people will sell you mediocre brushes. 

The character creation process will be long and arduous if you want to do it the right way, and probably would be best to start at beginning blender sculpting tutorials.  Maybe just step back and ask what you are trying to achieve? Do you actually need a full body sculpt to make a full body bump and normal map? G9 comes with very good base maps, bump maps, roughness, spec, including 8k Normal maps. Cant you use those and just use Substance Painter for custom base color map or for painting detail on top of the existing maps?  If making for redistribution, can you not just buy merchant resource and paint on top of those?

• yuyu.atem said:

Catherine3678ab said:

paint = fill  Basically the same thing, one is getting the information put on to the model. One has more control with painting, flood fill is certainly the fast way to coat the object.

Seams ... if the brush does not tile, it does not tile. Options include getting another brush to use. After filling as you've done, use a brush over the seams, painting over the seams to make it look correct.

Hmm, I am not sure to understand what you mean: what ever the brush or the texture that I use, I obtain seams when I fill. And when I want to paint directly with the hand, on the mesh with the different material groups, I don't find how to paint on the other templates: I succesed to paint only on the groups of the template1 (face, lips, etc). When I try to paint on the torso, nothing happen, event if the torso is selected. However, I can fill on it. And on  the mesh without material group, when I want to paint, I get someting very weird: when I paint on the face, it also paint on the bottom of the torso... I checked to documentation of Substance Painter, but I haven't find any explication...​

lilweep has the right term for what I was referring to: different projection options

If you're painting on something and nothing happens -- that's usually a good indication that you're not working on the correct type of uvmap. In all my programs I "have to" collapse the uvset on export from D/S because they do not handle the UDIM type. {the newer 3DCoat does AFAIK, but not the edition I have}
    So read over what lilweep is saying about the UDIMs.

When painting on one area, say the face, and the paint also appears on the leg or torso or elsewhere ... that indicates that the uvmaps are overlapping. So you really need to get that problem addressed first.

edited September 17

I think this person's UDIMs are probably fine and not overlapping, at least from the screenshot they showed. But hard to say since they crop their screenshots and then proceed to not even show their UDIM setup when reporting an issue with it... oh well.

If painting on something and nothing happens, it could be because:

1. the fill or paint layer doesnt have the relevant channel active, e.g., say you want to paint in the height channel, but you only have base color channel active on the layer, then you wont see any height effect.

2.  you are viewing wrong channel in the viewport, so you are actually painting the detail on correct channel but are viewing wrong channel so do not see the effect

3. you are painting on a black mask with a black brush or a white mask with a white brush.

If the paint ends up on different part of mesh, could be projection option issue, so toggle to correct one for specific purpose.  Tangent wrap is usually good when wanting to paint along areas or across seams in accordance with how the surface looks in 3d space, and UV is good when wanting to restrict paint to UV islands or painting in accordance to UV space via 2d viewport.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • When we export .obj from D/S there's the box to check or uncheck for collapsed uvmaps. IF the maps were collapsed and the UDIM settings in Substance were used, I would think that would also cause overlapping. {I could be mistaken}

Hopefully the OP figures out what they did and let's everybody know.

Thank you very much! laugh I will try to understand all of that, I guess it is quite complexe... There is something that I am not sure to understand: doesn't all of rhese UDIM and UV projection issues appear in Zbrush too? Why does they appear in Substance Painter and not in Zbrush?

Do you actually need a full body sculpt to make a full body bump and normal map? G9 comes with very good base maps, bump maps, roughness, spec, including 8k Normal maps. Cant you use those and just use Substance Painter for custom base color map or for painting detail on top of the existing maps?  If making for redistribution, can you not just buy merchant resource and paint on top of those?

I am working on a G8M character, so I am not sure if I can or may use a G9 map on it...

When we export .obj from D/S there's the box to check or uncheck for collapsed uvmaps. IF the maps were collapsed and the UDIM settings in Substance were used, I would think that would also cause overlapping. {I could be mistaken}

Hopefully the OP figures out what they did and let's everybody know.

They would collapse to first Udim and in screenshots provided they were not collapsed to first UDIM
    edited September 17

@ yuyu, Zbrush is not a texture painting software, it is an sculpting software, first of all. UVs will be relevant there for baking maps etc. But you're not painting maps in zbrush, so... I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. Substance painter is one of the best software for texture painting. As for using g8, no one is forcing you to use g8, also my advice and questions applied to g8 mostly also

edited September 17

Thank you very much, I think there are some parts that I understand better, now (I hope!). So, if I understand well, you mean that when I export the charater, I should uncheck both 'Write group" and "Collapse UV Tiles", is it that?

I am surprise because my "Collapse UV Tiles" was unchecked when I exported my character... crying

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 8,263
    edited September 17

For working with the UDIM, having the "Collapse UV Tiles" unchecked is what you would use.

Um, why would you have surfaces unchecked? Have you ever modeled anything? You need those. {you don't need the original maps of course}

Groups -- well, try one export without and another with ... check each in Substance and see which export you prefer to work with.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on
    edited September 17

Catherine3678ab said:

For working with the UDIM, having the "Collapse UV Tiles" unchecked is what you would use.

Um, why would you have surfaces unchecked? Have you ever modeled anything? You need those. {you don't need the original maps of course}

Groups -- well, try one export without and another with ... check each in Substance and see which export you prefer to work with.

They have surfaces unchecked because they dont need surfaces in Substance Painter, and it causes annoying issues with making a texture set for every surface instead of allowing painting across UDIMs.

yuyu.atem said:

I am surprise because my "Collapse UV Tiles" was unchecked when I exported my character... crying

You will know if your UDIMs are set up correctly in Substance Painter because you have eyeballs and can thus see if there are overlapping UV islands in Substance Painter in the 2D Viewport.

• lilweep said:

Catherine3678ab said:

They have surfaces unchecked because they dont need surfaces in Substance Painter, and it causes annoying issues with making a texture set for every surface instead of allowing painting across UDIMs.

Oh Okay, different settings for different programs, good to know.

edited September 19

Thank you very much! 

lilweep said:

You will know if your UDIMs are set up correctly in Substance Painter because you have eyeballs and can thus see if there are overlapping UV islands in Substance Painter in the 2D Viewport.

Well, you are the experts, so I thought that it might be an overlap that I couldn't see, I don't know... crying I guess it would be simpler if I completly show you what I did, so this is a video (I loaded it on Workupload):

https://workupload.com/file/hC82qSxsrU5

I hope that it will be helpfull...

Furthermore, I wanted to export the character again, but with its material groups, to make a comparison, but there is something that I don't understand: I checked the "Write groups" option, but it didn't work, the obj has still no material group. I don't remember what were the settings before unchecking the "Write groups", so I don't find how to export the charater with its material groups again... I made a video that show it too:

https://workupload.com/file/NvJAKk2WkZ4

Thank you in advance for your help!

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,254
    edited September 19

yuyu.atem said:

Thank you very much! 

lilweep said:

Well, you are the experts, so I thought that it might be an overlap that I couldn't see, I don't know... crying I guess it would be simpler if I completly show you what I did, so this is a video (I loaded it on Workupload):

https://workupload.com/file/hC82qSxsrU5

I hope that it will be helpfull...

Furthermore, I wanted to export the character again, but with its material groups, to make a comparison, but there is something that I don't understand: I checked the "Write groups" option, but it didn't work, the obj has still no material group. I don't remember what were the settings before unchecking the "Write groups", so I don't find how to export the charater with its material groups again... I made a video that show it too:

https://workupload.com/file/NvJAKk2WkZ4

Thank you in advance for your help!

Checking Write Groups or not doesn't matter but you should've checked Use UV Tile Workflow in New project dialogue, and also need to switch to OpenGL in Normal Map format 'cause DS use right hand coord for NM map ~~

SNAG-2024-9-19-027.png
    547 x 612 - 30K
    Post edited by crosswind on

Ah, ok, it works much better, no, thank you very much! laugh I have a new question: I noticed that when I try to select only one UV tile (for exmple the 1004 UV tile), the DefaultMaterial group of which it belongs is still selected, and I can overflow on another UV tile.

Is it possible to choose to select either the entire material group in order to paint on all the UV tiles, or only one UV tile to paint only on it without to overflow on the others? Depending on what I want to do, it could be usefull to switch between the entire material group and only one tile...

Tank you in advance!

yuyu.atem said:

Ah, ok, it works much better, no, thank you very much! laugh I have a new question: I noticed that when I try to select only one UV tile (for exmple the 1004 UV tile), the DefaultMaterial group of which it belongs is still selected, and I can overflow on another UV tile.

Is it possible to choose to select either the entire material group in order to paint on all the UV tiles, or only one UV tile to paint only on it without to overflow on the others? Depending on what I want to do, it could be usefull to switch between the entire material group and only one tile...

Tank you in advance!

You're already with UV Tile workflow which is, as default, used for seamlessly painting across tiles. That's what the option is meant to be... If you want to soly paint on one tile, use Geometry Mask to set the target tile.

SNAG-2024-9-19-029.png
    484 x 1005 - 29K

Ah, ok, thank you very much! laugh

edited September 19

lilweep said:

Different UDIMs have different "texel density" so resolution of fill layer applied to all UDIMs will often suffer from the effect of different resoltuion on each UDIM.  (InTheFlesh has some different UV layouts which claim to have even texel density for G8 UDIMs - there's one for Male and one for Female G8 figures).

Hi! I downloaded it but there is a file that I am not sure how to install: it is neither in the data folder, or the People folder, or the ReadMe's folder, it is outside of "Content". Where should I install it?

Thank you in advance!

edited September 19

Not really recommend that package though you're free to try. As it states... recommend baking 16K map ? ! SP can just Bake 8K at most... while you can bake 16K even 32K in Blender or Mari.

Well, you can throw the package to DIM for installation, or just click into Content folder, extract all sub-folders to your Daz Library...

Edit: Even Daz Originals Victoria 9 cannot resolve texel density / seamless issue, I doubt if those packages can really ultimately resolve such an issue ~~ though I did wish someone would be able to 100% resolve it ~

edited September 19

yuyu.atem said:

lilweep said:

Hi! I downloaded it but there is a file that I am not sure how to install: it is neither in the data folder, or the People folder, or the ReadMe's folder, it is outside of "Content". Where should I install it?

Thank you in advance!

type into youtube : daz how to install 3rd party content 

But if you are talking about the Manifest file, you dont technically need to install that. Some people package their files so they can be installed via DIM and they will have that file in the package. If youre not installing by that method - which i assume youre not - then you can ignore.

yuyu.atem said:

Thank you very much! 

lilweep said:

so I don't find how to export the charater with its material groups again 

Write Surfaces option.  Not that you need it.

edited September 19

crosswind said:

Not really recommend that package though you're free to try. As it states... recommend baking 16K map ? ! SP can just Bake 8K at most... while you can bake 16K even 32K in Blender or Mari.

Well, you can throw the package to DIM for installation, or just click into Content folder, extract all sub-folders to your Daz Library...

Edit: Even Daz Originals Victoria 9 cannot resolve texel density / seamless issue, I doubt if those packages can really ultimately resolve such an issue ~~ though I did wish someone would be able to 100% resolve it ~

Thats probably the only way to get even texel density, but introduces the other issue which is that head occupies very tiny portion of the UV space, so necessarily needs high resolution to get decent detail on face.  InTheFlesh uses Mari therefore baking to 16k probably isnt a big problem. For Substance Painter, I guess you will get very bad resolution on the face if baking at the cap of 8K, which is paradoxically where you need most resolution.

Yuyu if you are having issue with seams, try using different projection options as i mentioned at top of page. Dont use UV projection option generally except where you think it makes logical sense to do so.  You will still have texel density issue but it is not the end of the world.   

1.JPG
    2325 x 1149 - 276K
    2.JPG
    2321 x 1149 - 234K
    edited September 19

I was told by PA friends of mine that this sort of seam issue cannot be 100% avoided... every Genesis figure / character has such issue... only to different extent. So, never mind ~ I've already given it up. Well... no close-up render with full bare skin, no worry ~~ devil

edited September 20

Thank you very much every one! laugh

If I understand well, to install it by DIM, I have to copy the zip here in Downloads, is it that?

Thank you in advance!

If that is the download archive folder that you configured in DIM, yes, correct.

Thank you very much! I downloaded it but I didn't try to use it yet. For now, I made a test and I exported the textures that I created in Substace Painter.

I have several questions about what I obtained :

- I noticed that I have no transluency map, so, I wonder how to create and export it.

- I tried to create skin pores with the Cells 1 texture, and I obtained a normal map from it. But from what you explained to me, I thought that I would create a height map, that I should later convert into a normal map... Did I misunderstood? I also got a height map, but it is completly white...

Furtheremore, the normal map that I obtain looks a bit strange. I got a blue background and a border of the "useful map" has kind of bright rays:

I tried different settings but I couldn't fix it and I got other strange things when i use other settings.

- And on the base color face map, I can't see any part darker for the nostrill and the ear shape. I already such darker part on existing corlor maps, so I wonder if it is normal here...

(The second screenshot is whare should be the nose).

In case it would be helpfull I show you here the render I got in DS:

Thank you in advance for your answers!

Maybe you are aware of this, but exporting Eyes and Mouth from Daz and importing these into your project is a waste of time. Better to do focus just on skin in one project.

Substance1.JPG
    296 x 315 - 14K
    edited September 23

yuyu.atem said:

I have several questions about what I obtained :

- I noticed that I have no transluency map, so, I wonder how to create and export it.

Derive it from color map.  

Typically translucency maps are just a lightened color map. Whether this is good practice is controversial. Lightening color map can lead to loss of color information. Anyway, you can lighten this in substance as a layer with adjustment on it.

By the way, nobody is forcing you to make all maps in one project or in one single export. You could have an adjustment layer in your project that you toggle on/off when you want to export translucency/base color respectively.