[Released] ManFriday's Seamster (clothes rigging for Daz Studio) [Commercial]

Comments

• So, I went ahead & purchased this - I can confirm for anyone else wondering - that the documentation states "For example, you can create an outfit with four pieces: a shirt, pants, a hat and shoes."

Also, until today, my browser has not been showing the attached .pdf in the first post, so until I purchased it I had not been able to view the docs. My browser is weird!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,169

That's great. Please post your results, especially if you manage to create some shoes.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,467
    edited February 22

Artini said:

That's great. Please post your results, especially if you manage to create some shoes.

I've never tried to make shoes. I used the MD OBJ output of a dress I had created earlier, to learn Seamster. (I was too lazy to create something brand new in MD first.) After using Seamster to move through the steps to modify a couple weight maps and create some upper arm correctives, I added dForce. I textured it with shaders.

Seamster Test Dress.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on

Thank you for sharing your results, Barbult. The dress looks great.

I will probably use Blender to create some simple piece, to see how the process looks like.

• Is there a option for scaling OBJs for Rigid Follow Nodes?

I import my garment's OBJ in at 10000% but I havn't found the option to match that for the RFN OBJs

• ManFridayManFriday Posts: 560

CreekyPointStudios said:

Does this work with, or assist at all with, rigging shoes? Or is this purely clothing only and not for anything that may be considered an "accessory" (like shoes, jewellry, hats, etc)?

It may help with shoes, but honestly I don't know because I haven't tried. I learned clothes rigging while working on Seamster, and I haven't learned rigging shoes yet. I have been told by more knowledgeable people that shoes are harder than clothes, and there are some extra steps to be taken that I don't understand that. Maybe for a future update!

chriscox said:

Is there a option for scaling OBJs for Rigid Follow Nodes?

I import my garment's OBJ in at 10000% but I havn't found the option to match that for the RFN OBJs

I'm afraid I forgot about adding an option there. Looking at the code, it always loads the OBJ at default scale. I'm sorry, I'll add this to the list of fixes for the next release, but I can't say yet when that is going to happen.

• ManFriday said:

CreekyPointStudios said:

Does this work with, or assist at all with, rigging shoes? Or is this purely clothing only and not for anything that may be considered an "accessory" (like shoes, jewellry, hats, etc)?

It may help with shoes, but honestly I don't know because I haven't tried. I learned clothes rigging while working on Seamster, and I haven't learned rigging shoes yet. I have been told by more knowledgeable people that shoes are harder than clothes, and there are some extra steps to be taken that I don't understand that. Maybe for a future update!

Thank you for responding. Yes, they are definitely harder! So far, with my limited testing of the product, I have been unsuccessful with shoes. The main reason being that the shoes I already have modelled require a foot pose as they are heeled shoes but the development model (used by Seamster) is set as deafult pose - therefore once the shoes have finished the rigging process with Seamster, the shoes no longer sit in the correct position on the feet. Applying the pose to the model afterwards, doesn't correct the shoes position to the foot. I did attempt renaming the original Dev movel & saving a posed version with the original Dev name, however that was also unsuccessful.

I'm going to model a pair of flat shoes, to fit the default pose and see how that goes.

• LyonessLyoness Posts: 1,612
    edited February 24

CreekyPointStudios said:

ManFriday said:

CreekyPointStudios said:

Thank you for responding. Yes, they are definitely harder! So far, with my limited testing of the product, I have been unsuccessful with shoes. The main reason being that the shoes I already have modelled require a foot pose as they are heeled shoes but the development model (used by Seamster) is set as deafult pose - therefore once the shoes have finished the rigging process with Seamster, the shoes no longer sit in the correct position on the feet. Applying the pose to the model afterwards, doesn't correct the shoes position to the foot. I did attempt renaming the original Dev movel & saving a posed version with the original Dev name, however that was also unsuccessful.

I'm going to model a pair of flat shoes, to fit the default pose and see how that goes.

I have made and rigged shoes using seamster.

#1, Yes, shoes are harder to rig than clothing.
    #2 Flat shoes of all kinds are very straight forward to rig and the primary place to start when making shoes.  These are very "easy" to weightmap and create JCMs for. Quotes for easy because I am very comfortable in all the apps that I am using to create and rig my outfits.
    #3 Heels are more challenging to rig, period.  Havinga set foot shape is hard to rig around.  Seamster helped a little, but the majority of the rigging setup is done directly in Daz Studio.

The set that I made while testing seamster is almost finished.  It took me an unusually long time to build, rig, texture and promo. Soooo many parts!

Overall, I LOVE seamster and really would not want to make another outfit without.  It completely streamlines the weightmapping and JCM processes.

Post edited by Lyoness on

Thanks for all of the notes. I think, I give up on shoes, then.

Just want to find some simple item to set up it with Seamster.

Any ideas of what to try, to be simple enough to create in Blender?

• felisfelis Posts: 3,907

Artini said:

Thanks for all of the notes. I think, I give up on shoes, then.

Just want to find some simple item to set up it with Seamster.

Any ideas of what to try, to be simple enough to create in Blender?

A dress or a shirt - potentially sleeveless to make it simpel. 

Good idea, Felis. Thanks for the suggestion.

@Artini, be sure to select an appropriate template for rigging in Seamster. That alone will make your weightmapping and correctives adventure much simpler, because a lot of the necessary work will be done by the template. ManFriday discusses this in the Seamster manual.

Thanks, Barbult. Will try that.

I have garments that are already rigged. Is there a way to add them to Seamster to adjust weight mapping and create corrective morphs? I don't want to start over from the OBJ state.

barbult said:

I have garments that are already rigged. Is there a way to add them to Seamster to adjust weight mapping and create corrective morphs? I don't want to start over from the OBJ state.

Yes. You create a clothing project in Seamster as usual, but then instead of using the "+" button at the top to add a new clothing piece from an OBJ, you right-click into the table and use "Add new clothing piece from figure/prop asset" instead. Then Seamster lets you pick an existing figure/prop asset (DUF) from disk. Note that this then becomes the active figure/prop asset in seamster; saving the figure/prop asset will overwrite the original one, unless you also do a "save figure/prop asset as..." in the context menu afterwards.

Hope this helps!

win_screenshot_1709026255.jpg
    683 x 217 - 44K

ManFriday said:

barbult said:

Yes. You create a clothing project in Seamster as usual, but then instead of using the "+" button at the top to add a new clothing piece from an OBJ, you right-click into the table and use "Add new clothing piece from figure/prop asset" instead. Then Seamster lets you pick an existing figure/prop asset (DUF) from disk. Note that this then becomes the active figure/prop asset in seamster; saving the figure/prop asset will overwrite the original one, unless you also do a "save figure/prop asset as..." in the context menu afterwards.

Hope this helps!

Yes, thank you, that is perfect.

• iamariefiamarief Posts: 4
    Hi sir, I saw a video on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3dSkGDvtwJ/ Does this have a video tutorial? :) I searched on YouTube but couldn't find it

iamarief said:

Hi sir, I saw a video on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3dSkGDvtwJ/ Does this have a video tutorial? :) I searched on YouTube but couldn't find it

Unfortunately no, not yet. I started working on one but I couldn't get it finished in time for release. Still on the list!

• Abstract SoulAbstract Soul Posts: 159

Trying Seamster...  looks amazing so far

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,462
    edited May 13

I bought this ages ago. Just trying it now... and all I get are errors from the word go.

Create a new project, choose the options... try to name it: assertion failed!

Anyone else have this sort of difficulty? I am working on a brand new machine with freshly installed everything.

Post edited by evilded777 on

evilded777 said:

I bought this ages ago. Just trying it now... and all I get are errors from the word go.

Anyone else have this sort of difficulty? I am working on a brand new machine with freshly installed everything.

No, it works well fo rme. How did you install it? (I used DIM.) What version of Daz Studio are you using? (I'm using 4.22.)

Same and Same

barbult said:

evilded777 said:

No, it works well fo rme. How did you install it? (I used DIM.) What version of Daz Studio are you using? (I'm using 4.22.)

Have you selected a valid content library in the drop down box at the top of the dialog where you name the new project? Since it is a new install, have you entered your Daz Studio serial number to make Daz Studio a "Pro" version.? Have you entered your username in the Authorship section of Daz Studio Preferences (General tab)? Is that username filled in on the Seamster dialog to create the project? I'm just guessing at what kind of things might be overlooked on a brand new install on a new machine.

evilded777 said:

Assertion failed is not good, that sounds like a bug on my part. Can you give me a step-by-step list of what you are doing exactly so I can try to reproduce that on my computer? Thank you.

barbult said:

Have you selected a valid content library in the drop down box at the top of the dialog where you name the new project? Since it is a new install, have you entered your Daz Studio serial number to make Daz Studio a "Pro" version.? Have you entered your username in the Authorship section of Daz Studio Preferences (General tab)? Is that username filled in on the Seamster dialog to create the project? I'm just guessing at what kind of things might be overlooked on a brand new install on a new machine.

Yes, I am choosing a valid library. I even tried a different one. Daz Studio Serial #? Isn't that an ancient, relic that is not relevant?

ManFriday said:

evilded777 said:

Assertion failed is not good, that sounds like a bug on my part. Can you give me a step-by-step list of what you are doing exactly so I can try to reproduce that on my computer? Thank you.

I can. Not today. And now, after reading that this does not handle shoes... I am not in as much of a rush.  I've been rigging a lot of third part models... and stumbled across this during my reinstall and I thought it might help.

Here's the error.  Happens as soon as I type in the project name field. THen happens again each time I type in the field. Creates folders (but not what I want... clearly I have Gen 8 Male selected, it always makes Gen 8 Female folders), never creates the project files, just the folders.

Seamster Error.jpg
    1270 x 444 - 82K
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,223

evilded777 said:

Daz Studio Serial #? Isn't that an ancient, relic that is not relevant?

Entering the Serial Number is still required to activate some of the program's features.

evilded777 said:

Here's the error.  Happens as soon as I type in the project name field. THen happens again each time I type in the field. Creates folders (but not what I want... clearly I have Gen 8 Male selected, it always makes Gen 8 Female folders), never creates the project files, just the folders.

It works for me. It does not appear to be a product problem. 

Screenshot 2024-05-21 151648.jpg
    812 x 966 - 102K