Introducing the AI Character Shape Generator by Yellow

I just got an email from DAZ with that subject and a link to the following page:

https://www.daz3d.com/yellow?trk_msg=D8SE3720IFL4P1PAOQQDU2SRJ0&trk_contact=VCFQ14O9B8NMNDGQ309BMJP9C0&trk_sid=J24JERT6EGA4EJJIT9VJ4EPF94&trk_link=LJBLLAT54KE4JBQU9LHEDI6ARS&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https://www.daz3d.com/yellow&utm_campaign=Introducing+the+AI+Character+Shape+Generator+by+Yellow

A while back, I already signed up for a beta. Is this the same thing? Do we need to sign-up again?

If a mod could ask and let everyone know, I'd appreciate it - ty.

- Greg

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,056

I just watched the video

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,795

it looks simple enough. I don;t like the idea of having to log on to DAZ. I never login mainly becasue it checks things already installed and makes changes as needed. If there is a way to not change any meta data or anything else I might give it a go. 

• daveso said:

it looks simple enough. I don;t like the idea of having to log on to DAZ. I never login mainly becasue it checks things already installed and makes changes as needed. If there is a way to not change any meta data or anything else I might give it a go. 

Exactly. I have not logged in to Daz since finishing a cleanup operation to fix problems with installed products - it was enough of a nuisance that I swore I'd never log in to Daz again. I'd be willing to give it a try as part of my character creation process if logging in here ONLY means logging in to "Yellow" for this purpose. 

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,314
    I don't see the value for me.
  • backgroundbackground Posts: 381
    edited September 12

I prefer my own ideas on character design.

Post edited by background on
  • I wouldn't say I'm excited as the video shows it, but I'm incredibly curious to try it out. What would be most useful to me is the ability to adjust small parts of existing characters without needing to fiddle about with dozens of, for example, nose morphs for half an hour.

I'd like to know more about how this works. Is it generative or is it parametrised using your morph library? Or some combination of both? It mentions fixing the topology of the mesh, which is incredibly neat, but does suggest at least some degree of generation or deviation from morphs. Not a bad thing in and of itself as a problem with using a lot of morph packs is you may get the shape you want but the mesh can end up with unwanted artifacts. If it somehow traces or wraps the results of applying several morphs onto a clean topology then that would be a game-changer for me.

• Interesting. Especially if it cleans the mesh. I also wonder if it just uses morphs you own or generating something out of nothing. Both could be interesting. Since the rise of AI over the last couple years has accelerated, I've often wondered how it could be used for 3d models and Daz specifically. Mainly for me it's been trying to generate good face references of say celebs to then input into Face Transfer. This has been a limited success, but it's been a good six months since I last tried and changed in the AI have changed significantly. So for me, without actually trying it myself, this seems like early stages but potentially promising. I'm interested to see how this develops. What I ultimately would like to see is a way to input a lora or a photo(s) and output that as the Daz character. Say I take a picture or two of a friend and then create a Daz character from that using this ai.that would be cool. Watching.
  • paulawp (marahzen) said:

daveso said:

Exactly. I have not logged in to Daz since finishing a cleanup operation to fix problems with installed products - it was enough of a nuisance that I swore I'd never log in to Daz again. I'd be willing to give it a try as part of my character creation process if logging in here ONLY means logging in to "Yellow" for this purpose. 

Since they introduction of the new New dialogue, and the in-app notifications, the refreshing of metadata is off by default and has to be enabled in the log-in box (or triggered manually) - it won't change content data without being allowed.

• TorquinoxTorquinox Posts: 3,175

So this puts some people who make morphs out of business or what? What's the goal here?

Not touching it and suitably suspicious of it.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,263

daveso said:

I don't like having to log on to Daz either...

• With a Daz Freebie Contest every month, the use of AI is banned.

So I don't think this is a good idea either.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,926

Who is the targeted user group?
    Those, who don't know how to use a morph slider?

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,421

background said:

I prefer my own ideas on character design.

+1!

• no noseno nose Posts: 306

I knew the original announcment was exagarating details, but I was still hoping for a bit more. At the very least, i'd like to generate things locally instead of relying on a paid token system.

Honestly, if we're going to put AI in this software, i'd prefer something akin to an img2img process.

Now, we are told this capability uses DO shapes - It does not rely on morphs we have in our own libraries. So, again, if that's the case, what is the goal of this tool? Is it to obviate the purchase of morph packs or what? And what is the license arrangement of the output?

And also, just because one has a shape that looks interesting in the default pose does not mean it will work right on a posed character- That is what JCMs (there is some newer term) are used to solve. So, what about JCMs and proper function of these generated shapes?

• Torquinox said:

Now, we are told this capability uses DO shapes - It does not rely on morphs we have in our own libraries. So, again, if that's the case, what is the goal of this tool? Is it to obviate the purchase of morph packs or what? And what is the license arrangement of the output?

The same is true of the use of various figures in Daz AI Studio. Daz can give permissions in relation to its own content beyond those of the base license.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,926

I'd wish, DAZ would focus on improving software and adding useful features, instead of running behind that Generative AI-hype.

• Masterstroke said:

I'd wish, DAZ would focus on improving software and adding useful features, instead of running behind that Generative AI-hype.

This might well be a useful feature, at least as a starting point. I would quite like a similar tool to help with posing, or even a tool that could be applied to "naturalise" a first-draft pose, but shape generation is still a core tool and one that some people find a struggle.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,395

Masterstroke said:

Who is the targeted user group?
    Those, who don't know how to use a morph slider?

I'd say "people who don't want to spend time wondering which morphs to combine to get the kind of shape they have in mind, but know how to describe it".

• Richard Haseltine said:

Masterstroke said:

This might well be a useful feature, at least as a starting point. I would quite like a similar tool to help with posing, or even a tool that could be applied to "naturalise" a first-draft pose, but shape generation is still a core tool and one that some people find a struggle.

That's where I am here. Yes, I have morphs - pretty much all of them, in fact, for G9. But it could be handy to take the generic G9 blob and get a starting point, and then fine-tune that with morphs. Having not used it, I can't say if the resulting product fits into the rest of my workflow, but I would be willing to entertain testing it as a "starter figure" maker.

• Ghosty12Ghosty12 Posts: 2,015
    edited September 13

Reading the comments the comments section of those who replied, some are not best happy with this thing. For me I can see myself not using this as have no real use for it.

Masterstroke said:

Totally agree, I know I would love to have an update on where Daz Studio 5 is at the moment, and some sort of what features and timeline for it. Also more info of the toon canvas feature and what we can expect from it.

Post edited by Ghosty12 on
  • davesodaveso Posts: 6,795

is there another thread about this plugin somewhere? I did some looking around found a couple, but nothing about useability or anyone's review of it, in fact one of them was replied to by the creator and they are not releasing it until next week or something for the beta crowd. 

• lana_lasslana_lass Posts: 520
    edited September 13

An extra thought to add here, if I may...

Unless Daz/Yellow limit the A.I of this product, I imagine it'll soon become very easy for just about anyone to 3D model well known figures. A.I software like Midjourney is now pretty good at generating likenesses of famous/historical people if their name is placed within the prompt line. So, would this not mean that feasibly, one day soon, people like myself without talent but with fingers can suddenly have a 3D model of "Gal Gadot" in Daz by simply typing it into the prompt of Yellow, without having to purchase Gisele for Genesis 9 by the immensely talented Daz PA HID3D? And as great as that would obviously be for me, is that really something that Daz wants for its PAs and itself...? 

Considering Daz is a company, I can only imagine the answer is "yes" if post-beta this product comes with a hefty monthly subscription charge a la Marvelous Designer, etc... or, as said, if the A.I is forever limited so it can't spit out likenesses of famous people as Midjourney, etc., somewhat can. 

(Also, hi everyone! Long time no post) 

Post edited by lana_lass on
  • HavosHavos Posts: 5,349

Richard Haseltine said:

Masterstroke said:

I would love posing help too, and would make DAZ Studio a lot faster to use. To able to click on a character and say "sit in chair holding a glass" would be very useful.

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,560

So, would this not mean that feasibly, one day soon, people like myself without talent but with fingers can suddenly have a 3D model of "Gal Gadot" in Daz by simply typing it into the prompt of Yellow, without having to purchase Gisele for Genesis 9 by the immensely talented Daz PA HID3D?

No, because Yellow doesn't create the textures. Thank you for that link though, I didn't know HID made so many celebrity likenesses. I wish I could recognize all of them.

• lana_lasslana_lass Posts: 520

SnowSultan said:

So, would this not mean that feasibly, one day soon, people like myself without talent but with fingers can suddenly have a 3D model of "Gal Gadot" in Daz by simply typing it into the prompt of Yellow, without having to purchase Gisele for Genesis 9 by the immensely talented Daz PA HID3D?

No, because Yellow doesn't create the textures. Thank you for that link though, I didn't know HID made so many celebrity likenesses. I wish I could recognize all of them

That's a very good point that you wouldn't have a fully textured likeness, but HID is actually an example of many artists who make 3D models with undeniable likeness without using the famous individual's actual skin textures (although I could be entirely mistaken there). So, I think the original ponderance is still valid.

Yeah, HID really is super talented! You're so very welcome for the link smileyyes 

Richard Haseltine said:

Torquinox said:

The same is true of the use of various figures in Daz AI Studio. Daz can give permissions in relation to its own content beyond those of the base license.

Great! What license(s) will be offered/applied? What's the goal here?

• Torquinox said:

Richard Haseltine said:

Torquinox said:

Great! What license(s) will be offered/applied? What's the goal here?

That I don't really know.

• MadaMada Posts: 1,895
    edited September 13

Torquinox said:

I did a bit of digging and found this on the registration page - so pretty much no different from any of the other randomizer out there, except you can specify what you're after. A tall guy with a big chin. Or a celebrity. Troll. ...and then you can fine tune in Daz Studio to your liking.

Masterstroke said:

The company working on this is Yellow, its a plugin.

Screenshot 2024-09-14 081408.jpg
    715 x 565 - 83K
    Post edited by Mada on