UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017
    barbult said:

I figured out a fix for Loretta - she has her origin point moved up to her torso instead of at her feet for some reason and this was confusing the code that creates the box previews. I'll add it to the next update of UltraScatter but for now you can use the attached script. Just import Loretta to your scene, select her, then run the script and it should all work ok. Works for Lorenzo too.

It's magic!!

This handy script fixed my Loretta scatter and even the bizarre Loretta and 2 Lorenzos scatter, where I was getting too many people. Even the bounding boxes for Loretta and Lorenzo are above the plane now. This is fantastic customer service, Howie!!!! You are on my list of very best PAs!!!! I'll be watching for the next DIM update.

By the way, Daz Customer Service told me they thought you would be updating the script to work with Daz Connect installation. Any truth there? That would be great, too. I hate having to remember what products need DIM instead.

Aww, thank you!

The 1.0.1 update should have made UltraScatter compatible with Daz Connect, if it's not available that way yet I'll give Daz a friendly reminder when I send them the next update.

It has always been available via Daz Connect, it just didn't work. Now that I know it is supposed to work, I'll reinstall and try it again in Daz Connect. Thanks.
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Just a weird experiment (testing groups of parented primitives, works fine. I suspect previous problem was due to scaling)

Waterball.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M
  • Just a weird experiment (testing groups of parented primitives, works fine. I suspect previous problem was due to scaling)

Love this!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

I figured out a fix for Loretta - she has her origin point moved up to her torso instead of at her feet for some reason and this was confusing the code that creates the box previews. I'll add it to the next update of UltraScatter but for now you can use the attached script. Just import Loretta to your scene, select her, then run the script and it should all work ok. Works for Lorenzo too.

It's magic!!

This handy script fixed my Loretta scatter and even the bizarre Loretta and 2 Lorenzos scatter, where I was getting too many people. Even the bounding boxes for Loretta and Lorenzo are above the plane now. This is fantastic customer service, Howie!!!! You are on my list of very best PAs!!!! I'll be watching for the next DIM update.

By the way, Daz Customer Service told me they thought you would be updating the script to work with Daz Connect installation. Any truth there? That would be great, too. I hate having to remember what products need DIM instead.

Aww, thank you!

The 1.0.1 update should have made UltraScatter compatible with Daz Connect, if it's not available that way yet I'll give Daz a friendly reminder when I send them the next update.

It has always been available via Daz Connect, it just didn't work. Now that I know it is supposed to work, I'll reinstall and try it again in Daz Connect. Thanks.

I uninstalled my DIM installation and installed with Daz Connect. It is working with Daz Connect now. Thank you very much for fixing that.

You might pester Daz to update their online readme to indicate the update and what changed. They are absolutely horrible about updating readme files, as in they never seem to do it, except for PC+ products, which Jen Greenlees conscientiously updates.

One minor request: it'd be nice if the result indicated how many instances were placed. Sometimes a setting is making a low number of results, and it'd be nice to have a clear picture of what is better/worse without having to watch the window progress.

Now, while the group thing may have caused me some confusion, I _like_ the fact that I can have a group of objects and say 'pick these things and scatter them there.'

Handy with, say, having a bunch of different small ground cover plants and spreading them at random rather than having to scatter each individually and trying to keep them from clipping each other.

Another effort...

Alien Planet1.png
    1748 x 1080 - 2M
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

One minor request: it'd be nice if the result indicated how many instances were placed. Sometimes a setting is making a low number of results, and it'd be nice to have a clear picture of what is better/worse without having to watch the window progress.

Check the log. I agree it would be nice if there was something a bit more accessible though.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited August 2016

Another request here, minor too;  Would it be possible to make the button "Browse" when checking Distribution Maps to remember the last folder opened and go there?

There is a workaround , ctrl+c, ctrl+v from the explorer's url, but going directly would be an improvement

Post edited by Jerife on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited August 2016

Ultra Scatter is very useful for space scenes. I used it for stars and ring of rocks. The planet modelled in Blender.

planet01sc15pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 156K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    Artini said:

Ultra Scatter is very useful for space scenes. I used it for stars and ring of rocks. The planet modelled in Blender.

Very nice! Is that a flat ring, or an actual torus with rocks scattered through its volume?

edited August 2016

Thanks.

It is a flat ring (modelled in Blender) and then scattered the 5 types of rocks around upper plane of it,

with scale and rotation changed in UltraScatter. Ring itself was hidden in the scene, to avoid showing

it up on the render.

Post edited by Artini on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Good to see the creativity going on with regard to using this tool - the obvious (and very useful) thing is to scatter plants and trees on a terrain, but there are so many more uses!

I made a quick funny test. UltrScattered a Genesis 1

laugh It was real quick and my first Blender movie. 

edited August 2016
    PhilW said:

Good to see the creativity going on with regard to using this tool - the obvious (and very useful) thing is to scatter plants and trees on a terrain, but there are so many more uses!

I went for the obvious in my first... smiley ...but deploying all those was a slow process. 

Islands 30 ok redux.jpg
    3000 x 1688 - 5M
    Post edited by Jerife on
    edited August 2016

Oh I'm an idiot.

So I've been trying to create 'stuff in view' by carefully and laboriously painting with geometry editor.

Well, duh. Right-click, change selection to 'marquee', and all you have to do is drag a box over your view window and bam, everything in view is selected. Duh duh duh.

Also have a potentially clever idea to use ultrascatter to make snow peaks. Maybe clever. We'll see if I can pull it off. ;) (going to try flattened spheres; if that looks bad, maybe try planes with wobbly cutout blobs)

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • MacSaversMacSavers Posts: 324
    edited September 2016

I'm thinking of getting this product, but I have a question. If I create a scene with it and save it, can someone else open the scene without having purchased the product themselves? Will the instances break if that happens?

Post edited by MacSavers on
  • Jay VersluisJay Versluis Posts: 249
    edited September 2016
    MacSavers said:

I'm thinking of getting this product, but I have a question. If I create a scene with it and save it, can someone else open the scene without having purchased the product themselves? Will the instances break if that happens?

No actually, the other person does not need to own a copy of UltraScatter, the file will open fine with all instances in the right place. Try it yourself: download barbult's pink cone scene (page 6 of this thread) before installing the product, you'll see all scatterd cones instances. 

Post edited by Jay Versluis on

Creating a primitive in Carrara, Blender or Hexagon, resizing it there, export to obj, import in DazStudio save as subset. This process finish the problem of size in primitives done in DazStudio affecting the size of the UltraScattered things.

A primitive prop created this way is to DS an object with 100% Scale and 100% X-Y-Z scale

Probably there is a tool  to do this same resizing under DS but I don't known it.

Pasarela is a carrara plane primitive.jpg
    1366 x 728 - 561K
    edited September 2016

I've found Blender with its many object generators, great addition to create quickly various 3d models for using in Daz Studio.

Below is an example of using piramid, created in Blender, and then scattered different plants over it in Daz Studio.

piramid02sc04pic03.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 727K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • I desperately need a tutorial UltraScatter video to better understand how this plugin that looks really fantastic!

I do not understand English, I speak Portuguese and the translation is not trusted by Google, which greatly changes the term of a word! A brief video would help a lot to get how it works!

Thank you for this wonderful script!

Gendragon3D

edited September 2016

Jerife said:

I want to ask about elevation parameter; Is 0( Zero) equal to sea level, I mean to zero on Y on the global scene or zero in the origin point of the object where the replication is done? 

The answer is YES, zero in the elevation tab (-1000/1000) equals to 0 in the Y global scene. You can place things with no distribution maps only using bands of centimeters. Here rocks are in 0, grasses are in 0 to 0.5, dame rockets in 0.5 to 0.8, canolas in 0.8 to 1.2, small trees in 1.2 to 1.4

Beside this I discovered you can move an UltrScttr done over something once it is done. Here the big trees from Stonemason which tend to float due to their base were moved after scattered to Y -20 with no problem at all and solving the issue

US elevation 01 redux.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by Jerife on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

What a pretty little island! Clever use of the distributions too.

@Jerife: Great render and very nice use of the features of the UltraScatter.

edited September 2016

Thanks PhilW, thanks Artini, I'm loving this tool Howie has made for us laugh

Gendragon, você falar ou compreender o espanhol?

Post edited by Jerife on
  • I figured out a fix for Loretta - she has her origin point moved up to her torso instead of at her feet for some reason and this was confusing the code that creates the box previews. I'll add it to the next update of UltraScatter but for now you can use the attached script. Just import Loretta to your scene, select her, then run the script and it should all work ok. Works for Lorenzo too.

Weee! Dude, that seemed to have fixed some trouble I was facing with loretta too. Thanks a lot. But here I am with another weird and strange phenomenon I stumbled upon during using ultrascatter.

So I took a simple sphere with 10m diameter and scattered 200 instances of spheres with 0,1m diameter on it using the default settings of everything else (distribution, scaling, rotation, advanced). For some reason the distributed "sphere of spheres" was a little offset of the original sphere as you see in the atached render. The bounding boxes were also offset. I suppose this is somewhat my fault because I saw other users doing exactly the same thing without trouble :( but it's still strange, isn't it?

Anyways I still can't thank you enough for this tool. To me it is without a doubt the most promising and useful plugin that I've ever seen for DAZ studio. It is basically the surface replicator of carrara I wanted SO MUCH for studio :') You sir, are a hero. There's no doubt.

ultra scatter test.png
    1908 x 913 - 495K

That issue happens to me too almost all the time 321nimb surprise and is not a little offset but a huge deviation. You can move the ultraScatter but it is a pain in the neck to pose it.

Birch scattered on a plane.jpg
    1366 x 728 - 340K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

It occurred to me last night that this script could be even better if it could be coupled up to a morph randomizer. So for example we could use morphing rocks and trees and get Ultrascatter to vary the shapes just like Vue does but it a more simplified way. But being Instances I don't know how that could be achieved. ??? 

• JimbowJimbow Posts: 557
    edited September 2016
    Szark said:

It occurred to me last night that this script could be even better if it could be coupled up to a morph randomizer. So for example we could use morphing rocks and trees and get Ultrascatter to vary the shapes just like Vue does but it a more simplified way. But being Instances I don't know how that could be achieved. ??? 

I doubt you can do that with Daz instances. You can always copy your trees and vary the morphs on the copies, put them under a Group, and scatter the group rather than individual objects.

Post edited by Jimbow on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Yeah we could do that and I did think of it. :)