UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017

I parented both Lorenzos directly to Loretta, instead of one to the other. That didn't work either. I still get too many people. It looks similar to, but not identical to the result when one Lorenzo was parented to the other one.

What is the magic formula for scattering parented objects? I can't figure it out.

Screenshot 2016-08-25 00.09.17.png
    2560 x 1440 - 451K
    Loretta and and Two Lorenzos parented to her scatter 5 times.jpg
    1487 x 1268 - 510K
    Loretta and and Two Lorenzos parented to her scatter 5 times top view.jpg
    1487 x 1268 - 668K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

I haven't figured it out either. I was trying to scatter water molecules and the two hydrogens kept ending up moved to the top of the oxygen, side by side, rather than the angle I had set them at.
     That was if they were parented to the oxygen.

If I had them all in a group, I just ended up with everything scattered all over.

I scattered parented primitives, and everything worked fine. Even the bounding boxes were in the right place.

Scattered Parented Primitives.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 985K
    Screenshot 2016-08-25 00.21.20.png
    2560 x 1440 - 372K

Huh. I'll have to experiment more... right now I'm doing a somewhat more straightforward 'jungle island'

edited August 2016

I was even able to scatter 2 Lorenzos and a Loretta parented to a torus along with some primitives, a cat and a frog. I think I'll quit these random trial and error attempts until Howie comments again. I can't find a pattern of what works and what doesn't.

Scattered Parented Primitives cat and Frog 2 Lorenzo 1 Loretta.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 1M
    Screenshot 2016-08-25 00.47.38.png
    2560 x 1440 - 504K
    Post edited by barbult on

OK, one more thing. The previous weird example gave me an idea. I went back to my Loretta and Lorenzos scene and parented them to a tiny plane and scattered the plane. Low and behold, the rendered result looked correct. I didn't get any bounding boxes as proxies, because of the issue with plane proxies, so I switched to object proxies. So, for now, the "magic" might be to parent your objects to a primitive. Or maybe I was just lucky this time.

Screenshot 2016-08-25 01.15.37.png
    2560 x 1440 - 464K
    Loretta and Lorenzos parented to plane which is scattered.jpg
    1487 x 1268 - 458K
    Loretta and Lorenzos parented to plane which is scattered top view.jpg
    1487 x 1268 - 301K
  • barbult said:

I parented Lorenzo 1 to Loretta. Then I parented Lorenzo 2 to Lorenzo 1. I scattered Loretta (with the two Lorenzos parented to her). I scattered 5 instances. The 5 bounding boxes were below the plane. But when I rendered I got way too many people!! I don't know what is going on.

I'm trying to figure out what's going here - but how are you making the Lorenzos child objects of Loretta because I can't see them in your scene tab - the only children of Loretta I see are Hip and T-Shirt (then Hip and T-Shirt for the T-Shirt).

• I figured out a fix for Loretta - she has her origin point moved up to her torso instead of at her feet for some reason and this was confusing the code that creates the box previews. I'll add it to the next update of UltraScatter but for now you can use the attached script. Just import Loretta to your scene, select her, then run the script and it should all work ok. Works for Lorenzo too.

dsa
    dsa
    Reset Origin.dsa
    136B
    barbult said:

I parented Lorenzo 1 to Loretta. Then I parented Lorenzo 2 to Lorenzo 1. I scattered Loretta (with the two Lorenzos parented to her). I scattered 5 instances. The 5 bounding boxes were below the plane. But when I rendered I got way too many people!! I don't know what is going on.

I'm trying to figure out what's going here - but how are you making the Lorenzos child objects of Loretta because I can't see them in your scene tab - the only children of Loretta I see are Hip and T-Shirt (then Hip and T-Shirt for the T-Shirt).

T-shirt and T-shirt_blank are the Lorenzos. The figure is named for the clothes painted on it. The "blank" one has no morphs.
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited August 2016

Thanks for the Reset Origin script.

It fixed the issue with Lorez MU Worker http://www.daz3d.com/lorez-14-mu-worker

terrain01sc05pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 305K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited August 2016

Very pleased, though for a while every scatter caused NVidia to start throwing out display errors and the render to lock up. It wasn't until I painted the 'stuff in view' and set the scatter to only that that it worked.

For the elevation bands, I used Iray decals with a verticle cutoff mask on my procedural shaders. Since Iray Decal can side-project, and since procedural ignores projection/UV map, the upshot is that the projection only applies to the cutout opacity.

Jungle Island.png
    1748 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited August 2016

Very pleased, though for a while every scatter caused NVidia to start throwing out display errors and the render to lock up. It wasn't until I painted the 'stuff in view' and set the scatter to only that that it worked.

For the elevation bands, I used Iray decals with a verticle cutoff mask on my procedural shaders. Since Iray Decal can side-project, and since procedural ignores projection/UV map, the upshot is that the projection only applies to the cutout opacity.

Have you remembered to set the instance optimization to Memory instead of Speed in Render Settings? That should help avoid the graphics card errors. Also, some procedural shaders are causing those symptoms in 4.9.3.71 (A Touch of Dirt is doing that.) There may be some problem with your shaders, too.

I remembered. My procedural shaders appear to be fine. Not sure why Touch of Dirt is having problems... could be specific bricks.

I figured out a fix for Loretta - she has her origin point moved up to her torso instead of at her feet for some reason and this was confusing the code that creates the box previews. I'll add it to the next update of UltraScatter but for now you can use the attached script. Just import Loretta to your scene, select her, then run the script and it should all work ok. Works for Lorenzo too.

It's magic!!

This handy script fixed my Loretta scatter and even the bizarre Loretta and 2 Lorenzos scatter, where I was getting too many people. Even the bounding boxes for Loretta and Lorenzo are above the plane now. This is fantastic customer service, Howie!!!! You are on my list of very best PAs!!!! I'll be watching for the next DIM update.

By the way, Daz Customer Service told me they thought you would be updating the script to work with Daz Connect installation. Any truth there? That would be great, too. I hate having to remember what products need DIM instead.

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited August 2016
    Jerife said:

You can create a group with the scattered object, its terrain and the instances and save them as scene subset. Then use them ready made on another scene.

Yeah, didn't work.

I have an urchin, a squashed sphere with a bunch of spines instanced on it. Saved as scene subset.

Started new scene, loaded scene subset, selected the group that included the sphere and spines and instances, then scattered it on another object. Only the sphere scattered.

You are right; groups do not work to be instanced or UltraScattered by now and I did'nt say they could.

What I said was is better seen with this image.

You can rescatter the birds and have more or smaller. All the problems about where the instances are positioned do not matter in this case as the target object nodes are made invisible.

My statement is correct, I think, you can create a group AFTER UltrScttrng with the object, the node and the instances, and save it for use in another scene

All the problems about situation are caused by the HotPoint. Is there a way to move it as we can in Carrara?

Shot0001.jpg
    1366 x 728 - 568K
    Post edited by Jerife on
    barbult said:

I figured out a fix for Loretta - she has her origin point moved up to her torso instead of at her feet for some reason and this was confusing the code that creates the box previews. I'll add it to the next update of UltraScatter but for now you can use the attached script. Just import Loretta to your scene, select her, then run the script and it should all work ok. Works for Lorenzo too.

It's magic!!

This handy script fixed my Loretta scatter and even the bizarre Loretta and 2 Lorenzos scatter, where I was getting too many people. Even the bounding boxes for Loretta and Lorenzo are above the plane now. This is fantastic customer service, Howie!!!! You are on my list of very best PAs!!!! I'll be watching for the next DIM update.

By the way, Daz Customer Service told me they thought you would be updating the script to work with Daz Connect installation. Any truth there? That would be great, too. I hate having to remember what products need DIM instead.

Does that script work moving the origin of only Loretta?

Jerife said:
    barbult said:

It's magic!!

Does that script work moving the origin of only Loretta?

It works on everything I've tried it on so far. Loretta, Lorenzo, Ant, and other Daz Poser-based animals that have the origin in the center.

If you go into joint editor you can move the center and end points of the object. I think that should work for this.

If you go into joint editor you can move the center and end points of the object. I think that should work for this.

I don't know how to use the joint editor really. I always have trouble trying to move that gizmo to the right place. This script just does it for me. I like it.

All I do is click on joint editor, open the tool settings window, and dial the center point until it looks right. For future reference ;)

(Like if you want to have a sphere where the hotspot is actually in the middle)

edited August 2016

Yes, me neither. I have a lot to understand about those room editors yet. Never find the time to overcome their oddittysad.

But the script is really magic!! Thanks  Howie.

laugh It works with V2, V3, M4 tested till now

Post edited by Jerife on

All I do is click on joint editor, open the tool settings window, and dial the center point until it looks right. For future reference ;)

(Like if you want to have a sphere where the hotspot is actually in the middle)

See, you've helped me already. I never looked at Tool Settings for Joint Editor.

edited August 2016

WoW! Xfrog trees are generally well rooted but AL05_Aesculus_hippocastanum_Horse_Chestnut is not and the Move hot point script works with it too !

Shot0001.jpg
    1366 x 728 - 725K
    Shot0002.jpg
    1366 x 728 - 673K
    Post edited by Jerife on

Joint editor class will be another day, Will, *wink*

@Jerife, I love your Move Hot Point icon! I might have to change mine. I called it Origin Script and made this icon.

Origin Script.png
    91 x 91 - 5K
    edited August 2016

Lol, I went for Howie's Corgi

But yours is more logical

Post edited by Jerife on
    edited August 2016

I love community. Woo.

I first started using tool settings a lot when dipping my toes into geometry editor (which also turns out to be less scary than I thought. Paint a bunch of stuff, 'make that a surface.' Ok. Woo!)

((And I HIGHLY recommend using geometry editor for creating zones where you want stuff fairly easily, rather than creating 2-3x as many instances as is going to appear on camera))

Post edited by Oso3D on
    edited August 2016

I love community. Woo.

I first started using tool settings a lot when dipping my toes into geometry editor (which also turns out to be less scary than I thought. Paint a bunch of stuff, 'make that a surface.' Ok. Woo!)

((And I HIGHLY recommend using geometry editor for creating zones where you want stuff fairly easily, rather than creating 2-3x as many instances as is going to appear on camera))

Yah, I didn't know about Geometry Editor tool settings either, until you mentioned them recently! THANKS!!!!

edited August 2016

Same here.I had only used it once before but I used it now, following your piece of advice, in this damn image I'm stuck with.

That tuna cluster keeps trying to fly instead of swimangry

Post edited by Jerife on
  • barbult said:

It's magic!!

Aww, thank you!

The 1.0.1 update should have made UltraScatter compatible with Daz Connect, if it's not available that way yet I'll give Daz a friendly reminder when I send them the next update.