UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017
    Artini said:

Yes, after update, this script is even more amazing. Thanks for creating it.

That looks interesting! I hadn't thought to try emissive surfaces. I must do this now!

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    Artini said:

great idea ... which makes me think ... it will now be easy to create our own sky with millions of stars! Wow!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    Artini said:

awesome thinking outside the box idea.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Might be great for coral reefs or similar. Mmm.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,347
    Artini said:

Thanks, RAMWolff. Now we can make a very strange, funky light sets, that previously would take so much time to assemble.

Wow, I never thought of using it for lights, what a great idea!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited August 2016

Thanks, barbult, mcorr, Szark, timmins.william and MelanieL.

This script has such a power, that I am looking forward to what to scatter next, all the time ;) Have fun...

Post edited by Artini on
  • @Artini - love the imaginative use of scattered lights - nice one. smiley

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750
    edited August 2016

This is a great thread,  love what you're all doing with this script. very imaginative.  Especially the ants, lights, and gummies.  The vegetation is pretty darn cool too!

edit typo

Post edited by FirstBastion on

Really happy with how this came out, though I think I need to make the lighting more dramatic.

Leafy Dryad.png
    667 x 1080 - 2M
  • NathNath Posts: 2,771

Really happy with how this came out, though I think I need to make the lighting more dramatic.

Nice one:)

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Thanks, Howie.

@timmins.william: Looks very nice. I have also thought about using leaves with the scatter.

Hmm, some of that image is subpar, working on a new render.

(Got fixated on the technical challenge, but the lighting, camera, and leaf textures are all meh)

Better version!

Going to try something aquatic next. Urchins, barnacles...

Leafy Dryad2.png
    1334 x 2160 - 4M
  • Looks great! 

Better version!

Minor complaint:

If I make a sphere and, say, flatten it (set Y scaling to 5%), the instances do not inherit that scaling.

Another feature request: It'd be great if you could nest instances.

Like, instances on one object, that object (plus its instances) instanced on another object.

This may be obvious or already covered, but a good way to keep things from getting too out of hand:

Set up the scene how you want. Critically, composition and camera angle.

Go into geometry editor, set the selector radius high (like 400), then liberally paint over anything in view on the terrain that will be instanced on. Create a surface from the selection (be sure to set the surface texture to the same as the original texture)

Now instead of generating a bunch of instances you'll never see... bam.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,882
    RGcincy said:
    Totte said:

I think there is something fishy using Material Zones as scatter destinations on large objects where the UVs are stacked (like FlipMode's Terrains). Anyone got that to work using Material zone scattering ( Was playing with Outback, wanted grovel on the road and grassy stuff on the side. I understand if that is a problem when the UVs are stacked though...

I've had a similar problem. One work around is to go to the geometry editor, create a selection set, from the top drop down boxes choose "Selection Sets" as your "Target Group" and your selection set name for "Choose Group". Select the material zone and click on the + sign, then click on the "Assign to Target Group" button at the bottom. Then in the Ultrscatter script, pick the selection set name. That worked for me.

Thanks! I'm trying this now (I had missed it supported selection sets ;-)

• JerifeJerife Posts: 272
    edited August 2016

I want to ask about elevation parameter; Is 0( Zero) equal to sea level, I mean to zero on Y on the global scene or zero in the origin point of the object where the replication is done? 

Post edited by Jerife on
  • JerifeJerife Posts: 272

And another question, how do we do to make trees grow as they do in Nature, up to the sun?  Rotation - Align object to normal unchecked? Only fiddling with Max- min slope don't seems right to me as trees can grow in high degree slopes but when they do they also grow up towards the sun.

Better version!

This is really great, Will. I like the addition of the pink. What is the underlying structure?

I tried to scatter a primitive plane, but after UltraScatter finished, I thought it didn't work. It said it scattered 420 instances, but no bounding boxes were shown, and I had Bounding Box selected as the preview instances. When I rendered, the instances showed up. Why can't I see the bounding boxes in the viewport?

• I need to get this ASAP..

Quick Question.., could this potentially be used to make Instanced Fur for animals.??, or if not at this time, at sometime in the Future as an additional feature.???

Cheers,

S.K.

• barbult said:

I tried to scatter a primitive plane, but after UltraScatter finished, I thought it didn't work. It said it scattered 420 instances, but no bounding boxes were shown, and I had Bounding Box selected as the preview instances. When I rendered, the instances showed up. Why can't I see the bounding boxes in the viewport?

Not sure why, probably because it's a 2D object and that's affecting the the code that draws the bounding box. So until I can fix that you can just set the preview to "Object" when using planes and you'll see all your instances.

• I need to get this ASAP..

Quick Question.., could this potentially be used to make Instanced Fur for animals.??, or if not at this time, at sometime in the Future as an additional feature.???

Cheers,

S.K.

You may... with a lot of work get a scatter to look a bit like fur but really it would be far less trouble to use a tool that is specifically designed for creating hair and fur. 

• This may be obvious or already covered, but a good way to keep things from getting too out of hand:

Set up the scene how you want. Critically, composition and camera angle.

Go into geometry editor, set the selector radius high (like 400), then liberally paint over anything in view on the terrain that will be instanced on. Create a surface from the selection (be sure to set the surface texture to the same as the original texture)

Now instead of generating a bunch of instances you'll never see... bam.

If you use Selection Sets instead of Surfaces you can skip the whole part about setting the texture back to the original.

Barbult:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/83287/browse/11/Poser/V4-Dryad-Conforming-Figure-for-Poser

Which is one of the coolest figures I've seen in a long time. Heh.

Anyhow, this is the render I'm most proud of, ever, so far...

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Undersea-Scene-629635438

(Warning, 8mb image)

Ultrascatter used for urchins and sea ferns. The original environment is more of a desert thing... so perfect for the foundation of an undersea scene!

(Ultrascatter took me significantly less time than getting the fershuggin water right. Oy. SSS in Iray is incredibly light angle dependent. Dozens of adjustments, most of which looked TERRIBLE)

barbult said:

Not sure why, probably because it's a 2D object and that's affecting the the code that draws the bounding box. So until I can fix that you can just set the preview to "Object" when using planes and you'll see all your instances.

Thank you. I'll try switching to "object". I was afraid that would be too memory intensive or something. (I figured there was a good reason you would use only bounding box as a default.) For a simple plane, maybe it doesn't matter much, memory-wise.

Barbult:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/83287/browse/11/Poser/V4-Dryad-Conforming-Figure-for-Poser

(Warning, 8mb image)

Ultrascatter used for urchins and sea ferns. The original environment is more of a desert thing... so perfect for the foundation of an undersea scene!

(Ultrascatter took me significantly less time than getting the fershuggin water right. Oy. SSS in Iray is incredibly light angle dependent. Dozens of adjustments, most of which looked TERRIBLE)

Thanks for the dryad link. that is really neat looking. In your underwater image, I like the added touch of the boat on the surface. I've only done one underwater image, and it was hard.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144
    edited August 2016

Barbult:

(Warning, 8mb image)

Very cool work!  One of my previous commissions was to do an underwater sequence which was included in a music video - you can see it here:  (the animated part is from around 4 mins onward, but listen to the while thing, it's a great track (and great album!). Sorry if this is a bit off topic, just reminded me of it.

Post edited by PhilW on