• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017
    Watch out for baobabs!

Great book.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

The recent Netflix version is AMAZING.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606
    edited August 2016
    mcorr said:

jellies are also OK, but not trees, and the rocks I tried were floating (maybe 40% of them) above the sphere, not on the sphere. it looks like we are unwitting beta testers to a product that isn't quite ready for prime time. i'm not happy with that.

If you set the rotation point to something other than "origin" (such as "bottom") does that make any difference? This was something fixed in the latest update. The script (and most 3d software) uses the origin/rotation point as the point around which it will scale and rotate an object. If the origin point is somewhere away from the object then when it is scattered it will look like it is floating, sinking, or otherwise somewhere other than the surface of the target object.

By setting the rotation point in UltraScatter to top, center or bottom you are telling the script to ignore the origin point and use the top, center or bottom of the object's bounding box.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on

The rotation origin at the bottom is working for me now. yes The improvements in the Reference Guide are helpful. yes I also like the feature (even in the previous version) of being able to reopen the scatter script with the settings used on that scatter group previously. That is immensely helpful for tweaking. yes

I'm having a problem with the Affinity, though. I am scattering ants over G3F, and it is working much better than it did before. In the Advanced tab I set the Affinity to repel from her left eye, but it keeps scattering ants on her left eye anyway.

I also don't understand why the predefined surface selection sets like Skin-Lips-Nails don't appear in the drop down list for Limit Scatter To.

Screenshot 2016-08-17 00.40.47.png
    756 x 659 - 98K
    Ants UltraScatter G3F_004 in eye.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 2M
    Screenshot 2016-08-17 00.59.57.png
    756 x 827 - 103K
  • barbult said:

The rotation origin at the bottom is working for me now. yes The improvements in the Reference Guide are helpful. yes I also like the feature (even in the previous version) of being able to reopen the scatter script with the settings used on that scatter group previously. That is immensely helpful for tweaking. yes

I'm having a problem with the Affinity, though. I am scattering ants over G3F, and it is working much better than it did before. In the Advanced tab I set the Affinity to repel from her left eye, but it keeps scattering ants on her left eye anyway.

I also don't understand why the predefined surface selection sets like Skin-Lips-Nails don't appear in the drop down list for Limit Scatter To.

I think that's because the :Left Eye is a bone not an object in the scene. You could place an invisible sphere in her eye (or one in each eye, group them and use the group for affinity). Remember that the affinity distance is measured from the origin/pivot point of the object and not its surface.

As for the face groups - I'm not yet sure how to get those into the script but... if you open the tool settings pane while using the Geometry Editor you can select them there then save them as your own Selection Sets.

Thanks for the thumbs up btw :)

edited August 2016

Don't Sunbathe in an Ant Hill

I used a distribution map and a rotation map on the ants on the ground. I used falloff on the elevation of the ants on G3F. This image gave my husband the creeps, and he couldn't look.

Ants UltraScatter G3F_003.jpg
    1280 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • That's terrifying (but very well done)... wink

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,084
    mcorr said:

Thanks for letting us know!

Based on the version history in the new documentation, there would appear to only be a limited number of things that have been fixed, like backward compatibility with DAZ 4.8. The documentation has also been minimally improved from what I can tell.

All in all, I don't think this is the relief we've been waiting for. A more comprehensive update must still be in the works.

The version history in the documentation lists "new" functionality - not any bugs that may have addressed.

So what has also been fixed?
    - User created surfaces do not cause the script to error when used to limit the scatter
    - Selection sets on high poly/complex target objects now work correctly
    - When restricting the scatter to a surface/material zone the correct surface will be used
    - Choosing a rotation point other than "origin" should now work properly

Thanks for letting us know =)

barbult said:

I've installed the update. I didn't have any problem scattering trees on this little egg shaped planet.

That's awesome!! Thanks. Looking forward to unleashing the full power of this add-on!

mcorr said:

jellies are also OK, but not trees, and the rocks I tried were floating (maybe 40% of them) above the sphere, not on the sphere. it looks like we are unwitting beta testers to a product that isn't quite ready for prime time. i'm not happy with that.

If you set the rotation point to something other than "origin" (such as "bottom") does that make any difference? This was something fixed in the latest update. The script (and most 3d software) uses the origin/rotation point as the point around which it will scale and rotate an object. If the origin point is somewhere away from the object then when it is scattered it will look like it is floating, sinking, or otherwise somewhere other than the surface of the target object.

By setting the rotation point in UltraScatter to top, center or bottom you are telling the script to ignore the origin point and use the top, center or bottom of the object's bounding box.

The only default-altering setting I used was the min/max size of object (but I also did without any alterations and got the same result). It looks like Barbult's experiment with the trees on the sphere shows that the update fixed the problem. In either case, I'll give it a spin later and report back. Thanks for checking back with me!

barbult said:

makes it more powerful though .... with the ant ON her eyewinklaugh

barbult said:

I used a distribution map and a rotation map on the ants on the ground. I used falloff on the elevation of the ants on G3F. This image gave my husband the creeps, and he couldn't look.

creative and very funny!!

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606
    edited August 2016
    mcorr said:
    mcorr said:

The only default-altering setting I used was the min/max size of object (but I also did without any alterations and got the same result). It looks like Barbult's experiment with the trees on the sphere shows that the update fixed the problem. In either case, I'll give it a spin later and report back. Thanks for checking back with me!

OK, but even with the the update if you change nothing again you get the same result again. You will need to set the Rotation Point to "Bottom" for the reasons explained above (if as I suspect the trees you are using have the origin/pivot point that is not at the base of the tree)

Post edited by HowieFarkes on
    mcorr said:
    mcorr said:

OK, but even with the the update if you change nothing again you get the same result again. You will need to set the Rotation Point to "Bottom" for the reasons explained above (if as I suspect the trees you are using have the origin/pivot point that is not at the base of the tree)

That is what I had to do with the ants.
    mcorr said:
    mcorr said:

You are oh so right! That solved the problem. Thank you! Now I can go off and have some fun ... until the next question wink

barbult said:
    mcorr said:
    mcorr said:

That is what I had to do with the ants.

that you for helping to guide me through this!!

I have a suggestion. The last settings I apply to a scatter are not saved, so when I want to refine and tweek the inputs, I have to re-enter all of them again. Would it be possible to program the script to remember the last inputs/settings of a particular file?

• mcorr said:

I have a suggestion. The last settings I apply to a scatter are not saved, so when I want to refine and tweek the inputs, I have to re-enter all of them again. Would it be possible to program the script to remember the last inputs/settings of a particular file?

It does remember them - go to the target object in your scene tab and you will see a child of that object called "UltraScattered yourobject 01". Select that then run the script again and it will have all the settings used to create that scatter.

edited August 2016

OK ... next puzzle. 

I have trees on a sphere and now want to scatter rocks with affinity to the trees. It's not working. I can scatter rocks, but when I check the affinity settings for the trees, nothing appears. What am I not doing right?

Edit: I think I know why: one must carefully select the object/group in the affinity setting, i.e. select the already scattered object, not the original that was used to scatter it. I will try this and report back.

Post edited by mcorr on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,347
    barbult said:

I'm with your husband on that - had to look at the large version through my fingers laugh - great image though!

mcorr said:

It does remember them - go to the target object in your scene tab and you will see a child of that object called "UltraScattered yourobject 01". Select that then run the script again and it will have all the settings used to create that scatter.

yes, it does. Thank you!

Here's a screen shot of a plane with some fern, 2 kinds of rocks and one kind of tree. Objects have attraction and repel active (and size/rotation variations), as well as distribution maps. This add-on is awesome!! Let's see if I can duplicate it on a sphere. Thanks Howie!

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 1.12.17 PM.png
    984 x 626 - 1M
  • mcorr said:
    barbult said:

Eew that really creeps me out, I hate ants lol

Great work though!

• FerretmaniaFerretmania Posts: 883
    edited August 2016

barbult said:

Eew that really creeps me out, I hate ants lol

Great work though!

Sorry for the double post, made an error and couldn't delete it.

Post edited by Ferretmania on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,831
    barbult said:

very clever! it is a bit creepy though

mcorr said:

Here's a screen shot of a plane with some fern, 2 kinds of rocks and one kind of tree. Objects have attraction and repel active (and size/rotation variations), as well as distribution maps. This add-on is awesome!! Let's see if I can duplicate it on a sphere. Thanks Howie!

that turned out really well

• mcorr said:

Nice :)

mcorr said:

That looks great!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited August 2016

Yes, after update, this script is even more amazing. Thanks for creating it.

Plant05pic01.jpg
    1280 x 1024 - 465K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,157

Totally love that Artini! 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Thanks, RAMWolff. Now we can make a very strange, funky light sets, that previously would take so much time to assemble.