How is it Daz3D can reactivate a platinum account that I cancelled in August without my request for

Comments

• KiyomizuKiyomizu Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Just chiming in that I have also been charged, twice, for a Platinum subscription that I cancelled last year. I submitted a helpdesk request but have yet to hear anything back.

I think something has Gone Wrong somewhere.

• mindsongmindsong Posts: 1,701
    edited December 1969

right. deleted again.

They've billed me without my permission as well, on a credit-card I cannot remove from their system.

"I think something has Gone Wrong somewhere."

indeed.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited January 2013

Make sure you contact your credit card companies to alert them to the unauthorised transactions. If worst comes to worst your credit card company can do a chargeback effectively reversing the transaction but you need to dispute the transaction early with them.

Post edited by anikad on
  • erroerro Posts: 1
    edited January 2013

Same problem here, two emails about reactivating a platinum club subscription. The first used out of date information, but after I received it, I sent in a help ticket (no reply), and deleted my credit card and addresses. I then received another the next day with the same information and credit card (that I thought I had deleted).

Post edited by erro on
  • CurtCurt Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

mindsong said:

They've billed me without my permission as well, on a credit-card I cannot remove from their system.

"I think something has Gone Wrong somewhere."

indeed.

Well, it happened again today. I was billed again for a second subscription on the same account. I have cancelled this platinum account and method of payment. I sent a sales desk request yesterday but the reply email showed no progress other than it is being looked at. As was mentioned previously this looks like an attempt at fraud or massive incompetence. DAZ fix this.

Curtis

edited December 1969

Well, I just had my support ticket closed along with instructions on how to cancel my Platinum subscription.

It's like they're not even reading it.

• WAVEDELSHWAVEDELSH Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

Same here.....Reactivate my subscription after six month since i Cancelled it with out my authorisation...they just took the
    money out of my account ....What's going on at Daz?...very worrying !

• edited January 2013

anikad said:
    Make sure you contact your credit card companies to alert them to the unauthorised transactions. If worst comes to worst your credit card company can do a chargeback effectively reversing the transaction but you need to dispute the transaction early with them.

We filed the paperwork with our bank disputing this transaction as unauthorized. My bank told me the $69.95 was authorized when Daz made the charge and therefore removed from my account for Daz. Since the transaction was still in limbo, we were refunded the money by OUR BANK. Daz did NOTHING to help us resolve this.

Our bank advised us that Daz could still charge us at any time again if we did not cancel the card the unauthorized charge was made on, so we arranged to do just that but not until we receive our replacement cards as we do all of our online bill pay with the same card. Those bills include our utilities.

Replacing the card and stressing over this incident has brought me to the conclusion that trusting any company (other than our utility companies) with our credit card information information is not wise. If, at some point in the future, I did want another platinum club subscription, there is no way I'd give Daz my credit card information again. As far as I am concerned, their system is more than flawed and their customer service (other than the admins here who attempted to be helpful) is not helpful at all.

The way Daz handled their mistake was totally unacceptable and has left me beyond stressed. Inconvenienced doesn't even begin to describe how I feel.

Post edited by nightsidestudio_0dc8e91a7a on
  • edited December 1969

Ada933 said:
    Do I really need to cancel my card to rest assured that Daz isn't going to charge me again out of the blue in the future?

My experience with DAZ has been that they bend over backwards to rectify things like this, but dealing with them during the holidays is a true PIA (i have a$20 credit coming that I haven't seen).

Not that it's good news, but you can't kill a continuing credit card billing, like a subscription, by cancelling the card. The card company will continue to bill you, even if the card is cancelled, until the other party stops running the charges. (Welcome to capitalism.) This emerged some twenty years ago when the notorious CompuServe forever trial offers were scamming people right and left.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2013

mickmca said:
    Ada933 said:
    Do I really need to cancel my card to rest assured that Daz isn't going to charge me again out of the blue in the future?

My experience with DAZ has been that they bend over backwards to rectify things like this, but dealing with them during the holidays is a true PIA (i have a$20 credit coming that I haven't seen).

Not that it's good news, but you can't kill a continuing credit card billing, like a subscription, by cancelling the card. The card company will continue to bill you, even if the card is cancelled, until the other party stops running the charges. (Welcome to capitalism.) This emerged some twenty years ago when the notorious CompuServe forever trial offers were scamming people right and left.

I can guess as to what happened and how...

Over the past weekend, early this week, DAZ was doing server work (moving servers, from what I gather from another thread). I'm guessing that as part of that process, somewhere along the line, a backup was restored. This backup was probably made before people who are now being billed had cancelled. So in effect, the system doesn't know, any longer, that they, in fact, were not members and had actually cancelled their membership. So at the first opportunity, it saw that the memberships were expired and automatically billed the renewal...as it was instructed to do, without knowing that those instructions had been revoked.

The fact that it happened over a holiday is what is making it so much worse.

That doesn't excuse what happened, but casting this as 'fraud' IS blowing things out of proportion. Because of the holiday, there has only been a couple of business days since the start of the problem and there have been responses from DAZ employees who seldom, if ever, post here in the forums, assuring that the problem is being dealt with.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • EfindelEfindel Posts: 8
    edited January 2013

... and it hit me. The email I'd gotten before never had a corresponding entry in my orders, so I wasn't worried about it. But today, I just got an email again saying that my subscription was renewing, and this time, it does show up in my orders.

Interestingly, it says that my subscription started 5/29/12 - and it's a one-month subscription. The last time I was billed for my old subscription was April of 2012, so it looks it is trying to resume my old subscription.

I've deleted my stored credit card info from my account. Going to contact support as well.

Addendum: Canceled the membership and contacted support. As I was doing that, I was looking through my recent orders to get more info to give them, and that reminded me that I made an order on Christmas Day, and got a $6 credit on it. At the time, I thought it must be some special Christmas promotion, but now, I think the system had probably already re-marked me as a PC member by that point, and given me the monthly credit. So, I put in my ticket that I didn't need a refund (don't think it's worth bothering for $1.95 back. Indeed, I may have saved more than that, since a couple of the items were $1.99, so I may have been getting PC price and thinking it was a Christmas sale).

I included a link to this thread in my ticket, and told them that I'm contacting them mostly so they'll know that I'm another person it happened to, not because I need them to do anything for me. Hope this helps any of you who got charged for an annual subscription!

Post edited by Efindel on
  • anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

PC credit no longer exists, you get a coupon code which you have to apply to non-pc DOs. It is not automatically added to your account.

• edited January 2013

So Daz CS claims it sent me a notice in August of 2012 that I would be charged in January 2013?

Britney, Jan 04 18:27 (MST):
    This amount has been refunded to your payment method. Due to your banks policy is when you will see the funds back on your end. I do apologize for the charge. We did send an email in August announcing this charge. I apologize if you did not see our email.

I guess thats their story and they're stickin' to it. I am outraged. My response:

With all due respect Britney, you all need to up the bar in your billing/customer service department. This ticket was filed in August. Please note your response. This is ALL i received from Daz in August. Daz is at fault and you people don't even have the decency to admit it. This incident has caused me major stress and difficulty. My bank had already pulled the funds back into my account unless Daz screwed that up too. We cancelled our cards because of all this. Daz will NEVER have my credit card information again. Heres what I received in August. Read:

Request #108830
    I was NOT to be charged again for Platinum Club

Rose -----
    August 06, 2012 01:00

I checked a few days ago to be SURE I wasn't to be charged again for Platinum Club. My account said I had no reccuring charges. Please refund the 69.95 back to my account immediately.
    Daz no longer offers anything at all I'm interested in. There are no bundle specials anymore or anything that justifies this expense. So give the money back because I did not order the club this time.
    Thank you

Rosie -----

Comments
    User photo
    Britney
    DAZ 3D

I have cancelled your PC Membership. I have also refunded your latest renewal fee. Please allow 3-4 business days for this refund to be processed.

Transaction 4558292229 has been successfully ACCEPTED by the system.

Below is a summary:

Transaction ID: 4558292229
    Payment Method: XXXX----
    Amount: USD (69.95)
    Customer Name: Rose -------

August 06, 2012 16:24

Yeah I guess I could read that I was to be charged again in January 2013 in that ticket (the only correspondence I had with Daz in August 2012) for the cancelled subscription I was charged for there as well. /end sarcasm

I hope everyone else falsely charged is able to sort out the mess.

The Daz community is wonderful. I've learned a lot reading these forums the past few years. That said, until I read here that Daz itself has it together, I won't be doing anymore business with them. I am done.

Post edited by nightsidestudio_0dc8e91a7a on
    edited December 1969

Well, I got a reply on my ticket. My last comment on it was:

"This is unacceptable and I request a full refund of both charges."

Their reply, closing the ticket again, was that they sent me an email saying they were keeping the payment and giving me vouchers.

Has anyone actually got their money back yet?

• CurtCurt Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Kiyomizu,
    I also received a similar email today. It was:

Membership Correction and a Free Month of Platinum Club
    Due to an internal error on our part, you were charged twice for this month's Platinum Club Membership renewal. We apologize for this inconvenience and have taken the steps to prevent this from happening again. Because of this oversight we are going to apply the overcharge toward next month's membership renewal AND give you an additional month for FREE!

In addition, we are giving you a coupon good for $10 OFF your next purchase of DAZ Original Products - including Platinum Club items. Enter coupon code: CENSORED BY MYSELF at checkout for the savings to apply.

We value you as a customer and are committed to providing you exceptional service. If instead you would like to request a refund, you may do so by contacting our Sales Team.

Sincerely,
    DAZ
    This is totally unacceptable! I have now communicated twice with them through the Sales Dept. and I still get a canned response and no refund. I cancelled the platinum account in July and will not open it again. DAZ REFUND BOTH AMOUNTS BACK TO MY CREDIT CARD!!! I stated in my communication with the Sales Dept. to refund me already. So I do not see them valuing me as a customer and this is by no means exceptional service. It's just another way to try to keep me spending at DAZ.

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited January 2013

What seems to have happened here is that last year DAZ gave free months of PC membership to some former members like myself and also reactivated the automatic renewal without any input from the customer. Apparently no one at DAZ wants to acknowledge that doing this was at best incompetent.

And now they are not only denying refunds but also offering as compensation the product that wasn't wanted in the first place?

Post edited by araneldon on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,190
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    On your account dashboard, click on "My Subscriptions" At the left of that panel it asys "edit" click on that, on the next screen it should tell you waht the current payment method is, and also offers you an option to change the payment method..

If you have a save credit card profile as your payment method it will show it there..

Ha! When I click on Edit I get a page that says "Fatal Error: Call to a member function format() on a non-object in /var/www/html/daz3d.com/magento/app/design/frontend/enterprise_daz/default/template/aw_sarp/customer/subscription/summary.phtml on line 34"

This is not encouraging. My susbscription says Monthly and $7.95 as last payment. As I've said months ago in another thread, this is incorrect. In all these months it has still not been corrected. I haven't been on the monthly renewal plan in a few years. At the time I was told not to worry about it. But it seems that I have good reason to worry.

Dana

• SilvheSilvhe Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

Just out of curiosity, does anyone at DAZ realize how badly tihis situation is hurting their reputation? Make this website working, already :-/

• randym77randym77 Posts: 275
    edited December 1969

Silvhe said:
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone at DAZ realize how badly tihis situation is hurting their reputation? Make this website working, already :-/

I'm wondering that, too. Is everyone who can fix this on vacation in Aruba or something? If so, they need to cut their vacation short.

The ineptitude of their responses is unreal. Do they really want a raft of chargebacks?

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,811
    edited December 1969

Silvhe said:

Indeed. what an unfortunate situation...
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Sure hoping it's fixed by next month when my renewal comes up, but I believe this has been going on since the inception of the new site.
    Am so not looking forward to it. Maybe I will be one of the lucky ones and everything goes over smoothly.

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Silvhe said:

Indeed. what an unfortunate situation...

Luv your signature line.

edited January 2013

Because I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm only here to moan, and people are getting worried, I just had notice that they're refunding me. Hopefully they refund both charges, but I won't know for a few days.

To the rest of you: open those tickets! Looks like they will do the right thing, but you might have to be sure to tell them that you don't accept the compensation offer.

(As soon as I've verified the money's back though, I'm deleting my card details here.)

Post edited by Kiyomizu on
  • SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

Silvhe said:

Bugger their reputation! If enough people reverse charges as unauthorized, they could lose credibility with their credit card processor service and be dropped (possibly "blacklisted" too). *THAT* could put them out of business.

I hope they take this as the serious threat to their entire company that it is, and get it fixed soon.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,048
    edited December 1969

The very same thing as in the OP happened to me near the end of November... I called and all I got was the answering machine, I did NOT file a support ticket, because the 3 or 4 day between responses is too long for me and I have too many real issues to deal with than playing tag with support. I base this on the OVERFRIGGINGWHELMING number of people dissatisfied with the support tickets response time and my knowledge of my own track record when something simple is not resolved quickly... I decided to let it go since (maybe I intended to buy some stuff in december and the PC discount would be nice)...

I missed buying stuff in December, but got the freebie... I probably should have kept after this and gotten mad, but I really know this is beating, not just a dead horse but its rotted maggoty remains... To think that DAZ does not know about this issue would be stupid... they either are trying to fix it or they don't care and they will deal with it when they have to... either way, to not make an announcement to warn people of this issue to SAVE customers possible problems is PISS POOR and IRRESPONSIBLE...

The system should not randomly start renewing people's PC memberships without consent and THE MOMENT DAZ became aware of it they should have made an announcement to warn people to check their accounts. PERIOD.

If DAZ keeps certain info, despite it being deleted by the customer, to save customers the trouble when renewing a PC membership... Then they DAMN well better notify customers when that system starts reactivating people's accounts and charging them without their approval... DAZ made the decision to have the system work that way, they owe the customer the courtesy of not making them jump through hoops to fix their mistake... even one hoop.
    BUT... then again I have said this before, many times... fellow customers agree... DAZ on the other hand does not respond, in these forum for whatever reason.
    This is flat out lame.

It is also very bad business. Period. It give the wrongest impression of the company's intent and practices and only does harm. Period.

I like DAZ, I say this as I would to a friend. I like you, but this is stupid.

Just to drive home the point as to what DAZ's reputation has become... On another website for CGI (not specifically 3D, just computer graphics) I made a comment in their forums, thanking one of the companies founders for updating the customers on some site issues and the progress... thanking him for actually stopping by and responding to questions. I made no comment about any site in particular or in any way mentioned DAZ.

Shortly after I received a PM from another member asking if I said what I did because of sites like DAZ.

Nice.

edited December 1969

We're never going to live in a world without glitches. A big database full of credit card information, linked up to a list of customers who want to be automatically charged every X days, is always at risk of going wrong. We're just lucky it wasn't 100 charges because the system got stuck in a loop, or whatever.

The real error here is human, and that's Daz's response. When they discovered that their system had charged customers unexpectedly, they *gave us vouchers*. No. That's totally not on.

The email that has gone round to affected customers says they're sorry they took our money, but they're going to keep it unless we ask for it back.

Good work guys.

edited December 1969

Kiyomizu said:

The email that has gone round to affected customers says they're sorry they took our money, but they're going to keep it unless we ask for it back.

I'm not sure if your are being sarcastic on that statement... People got emails? Because I never did. I check all my DAZ emails.
    If this is true, once again it shows they are aware of a problem, but chose to deal with it in a selective manner...

Sticky Note in an alternate universe's DAZ Forums:

Important notice for Former Platinum Club members:

Please check your accounts to see if your membership has been reactivated without your consent. If you find this to be the case, please fill out a support ticket to notify us of the situation. We regret any inconvenience this may have caused and hope to have this issue resolved immediately. Thank you for your understanding and we apologize for any trouble this may have caused.

We however choose to live in a sadder universe where customer respect is lacking.

You want to know what this is the equivalent of? A Physical store in which someone has spilled something on the floor and instead of having someone put up one of those little cones with "WET FLOOR" printed on it, they decide to just let it dry, hoping that not too many people will fall on it or get too seriously hurt that they choose to sue... because maybe they think if they put up a sign, customers will feel it is a place with very slippery floors and somehow it make sense to piss off and loose few customers as opposed to warning everyone of a problem.

edited December 1969

[
    I'm not sure if your are being sarcastic on that statement... People got emails? Because I never did. I check all my DAZ emails.
    If this is true, once again it shows they are aware of a problem, but chose to deal with it in a selective manner...

Wow, really? I got an HTML-formatted email a little while ago which didn't come from the helldesk or with any reference to my ticket or order number (or even my name). It also included a totally not unique coupon code, so I assumed it was a mass mailing just like any other newsletter. How... how can they generate such an email and not send it to everyone?

edited December 1969

@Kiyomizu
    How long ago did you receive that email? If it was at least a day ago, then I should have received it by now... if it was up to a few hours ago, then it is possible I might still receive it... Nothing would surprise me though... Everything here seems to occur randomly.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,811
    edited December 1969

The last email I got was 'The Best of 2012 Weekend Sale Begins!' yesterday...

This discussion has been closed.