How is it Daz3D can reactivate a platinum account that I cancelled in August without my request for

Comments

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,048
    edited January 2013

Yeah, that ( the weekend sale notice) is the only DAZ email I received recently...

Post edited by McGyver on
  • DAZ_Bcreek1DAZ_Bcreek1 Posts: 39
    edited December 1969

Hello All,

I would like to add some clarification on the current topic. Yes there were many customers charged 2 times for their PC Renewal. We recently changed servers, the system creating the old charges was running as well as the new system, for a short amount of time, cause the 2 charges. We were able to stop this from continuing.
    For Annual Members we already refunded the duplicate charge to your payment method. Due to your banks policy is when you will see the funds back on your end.
    For Monthly Members we have offered the 2 months paid, 1 month free option to you. Both Annual and Monthly members we have offered a $10 coupon code as well.
    If your Membership was renewed when you thought you had cancelled or did not know you were still a member. We issued many of you a free month when we launched our new site, if that free Membership was not cancelled, we did renew. This was address to our customers, but could have been missed.
    I can assure you this was not an intentional error, and we do apologize for the mix up and confusion. This is our way of trying to right the situation.
    If you no longer wish to have a PC Membership and would like a refund on the charges. Please contact sales, we will do that for you asap.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

• KiyomizuKiyomizu Posts: 8
    edited January 2013

Please, no. Due to a mishap at your end, you reinstated automatic billing for people who had cancelled their membership and moved on. you know that this happened, and you know who it happened to. You cannot say that you are keeping this money until the victim comes forth to ask for it back. Some might not realise until weeks later. Some might never notice a few random $7 charges in the Christmas season. Refunds should just be standard practice.

The people who had their subscriptions reactivated have already informed you that they don't want to pay for the service any more. At some point in the past they logged into their account, clicked the cancel button, and hit confirm. They stopped using the Platinum Club and stopped paying for it. Why would you assume they would want to start again?

(ETA: 10pm GMT on the 4th. That's when I received my email.)

Post edited by Kiyomizu on
    edited January 2013

I agree. This is a VERY VERY POOR POLICY.

PERIOD.

@ bcreek@daz3d
    If your are charged by your bank for a service you did not ask for, or your cable TV company charges you for a premium channel you did not ask for, you would be angry and expect them to fix it and refund the money the moment they became aware of the problem, without just extending the service until it is discovered by you.

This sort of response is is ruining DAZ's reputation and nobody seems to understand what is so upsetting about it...

Furthermore I have received no notification of this offer, nor the email the was mentioned before.

I had my membership reinstated without my consent... I only noticed because someone else complained about it happening to them.

Very poor.

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

As a decades long computer tech, this shouldn't have happened. Changing servers is immaterial. I don't know the exact process, I've never swapped out servers before, but this is something that shouldn't have happened. Thre should be methods to sync the servers so old information like cancellations doesn't get altered. I'm glad I never signed up for Premium Content.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2013

As a decades long computer tech, this shouldn't have happened. Changing servers is immaterial. I don't know the exact process, I've never swapped out servers before, but this is something that shouldn't have happened. Thre should be methods to sync the servers so old information like cancellations doesn't get altered. I'm glad I never signed up for Premium Content.

That was my guess of how it could have happened, based on past performance of how server swaps and updates generally go around here...(there was a 1 hour difference in timestamps that lasted for quite a while...after the server swap...they went from servers in the Eastern time zone to servers in the Central time zone...and it took almost a day and a half to clear it up...), but since nobody in authority has denied it...damn...I missed my confirmation.

I agree...it shouldn't have happened...and no matter 'how' it did, it shouldn't be allowed to continue. Yes, it happened, mostly over a holiday and now it's been a few days...one or two days, for an operation the size DAZ really is (small enough that most of the staff is off for the holiday, every holiday...and often if it's a mid-week holiday, a day or so before, too) should have been enough. By Friday, though most of this should have been settled...and the only way I think, those that cancelled, following the procedure at the time they cancelled...get a full refund. Getting banks and credit card companies on your case for being sloppy isn't going to help anything. Getting customers pissed off isn't very good...either. Getting all the above, at once...yeah, I'd rather not catch that brand of insanity.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

While holidays may seem like the best time to swap out major hardware, it really isn't a good idea as we can see from the results here. The people who need to be contacted to fix things, aren't available.

• RorrKonnRorrKonn Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

This is heart breaking

• ShvrDavidShvrDavid Posts: 3
    edited December 1969

I have never seen so many nails.....

• edited December 1969

Hello All,

I would like to add some clarification on the current topic. Yes there were many customers charged 2 times for their PC Renewal. We recently changed servers, the system creating the old charges was running as well as the new system, for a short amount of time, cause the 2 charges. We were able to stop this from continuing.
    For Annual Members we already refunded the duplicate charge to your payment method. Due to your banks policy is when you will see the funds back on your end.
    For Monthly Members we have offered the 2 months paid, 1 month free option to you. Both Annual and Monthly members we have offered a $10 coupon code as well.
    If your Membership was renewed when you thought you had cancelled or did not know you were still a member. We issued many of you a free month when we launched our new site, if that free Membership was not cancelled, we did renew. This was address to our customers, but could have been missed.
    I can assure you this was not an intentional error, and we do apologize for the mix up and confusion. This is our way of trying to right the situation.
    If you no longer wish to have a PC Membership and would like a refund on the charges. Please contact sales, we will do that for you asap.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Seriously?

"we did renew" <-- I'm confused.</p>

How can Daz legally opt customers in when we've they've cancelled their subscriptions? To do so is WRONG. Shame on you guys.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,926
    edited December 1969

The "we did renew" refers to people who did not cancel - those who had problems with their memberships following the site change and were given a free month's extension by way of apology.

edited January 2013

I just want to point out that it seems that the subject is starting to wander off the point of CUSTOMERS HAVING THEIR PLATINUM CLUB MEMBERSHIP REACTIVATED WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT, and focusing on the double charges...

The system is renewing people's subscription without consent... Please folks, this is the BIG problem.

At this point what I would like to see is for DAZ to give customers the ability to completely wipe their Credit Card data and not have any CC info on file if they do not wish to ever again have a Platinum Club subscription.
    When I first came here I only used a refillable debit card for purchases, then after getting comfortable here I gave my credit card info... a decision I now regret.

Nice.

Furthermore, one other thing that is annoying me is the announcement: DAZ 3D and Credit Card Security, Yes it's Safe, Please Read!
    It seems to me that there is something wrong with this announcement, if this problem exists...

edited December 1969

As I have said previously, to the best of my knowledge a payment for a subscription creates an item that can be activated again for renewals - it has nothing to do with whether the full card details are on the system (and cannot be used to authorise other, non-subscription, payments). That's why deleting your card details doesn't help - they aren't needed or used.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,811
    edited December 1969

As I have said previously, to the best of my knowledge a payment for a subscription creates an item that can be activated again for renewals - it has nothing to do with whether the full card details are on the system (and cannot be used to authorise other, non-subscription, payments). That's why deleting your card details doesn't help - they aren't needed or used.

Nothing about that in the Terms of Service...
    http://www.daz3d.com/terms-of-service/
    edited December 1969

Why would you expect there to be? That's how credit card subscriptions generally work - which is why I prefer to use Direct Debit.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,190
    edited December 1969

Why would you expect there to be? That's how credit card subscriptions generally work - which is why I prefer to use Direct Debit.

Not everybody knows that. But the fact is that DAZ3D knows it, and depends on it. So it should be in the Terms and I would expect anything that can affect my account to be in the Terms.

Dana

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,811
    edited January 2013

Because here in the States, the Terms of Service are the legal contract between the site and its users....
    Post edited by WandW on
  • KiyomizuKiyomizu Posts: 8
    edited December 1969

Then Daz needs to fix that. Once someone closes their subscription, it should not be possible for Daz to reopen it under any circumstances. And now that Daz is aware that's exactly what happened, they need to undo the mistake and issue refunds. They do not need to wait for affected users to contact them

I wonder how many subscriptions were reopened without the users' consent. Take that number and multiply it by $7.95. Then double it because the glitch hit twice. "We'll give it back if you ask us to" is not how you fix it.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,190
    edited December 1969

Kiyomizu said:

Then Daz needs to fix that. Once someone closes their subscription, it should not be possible for Daz to reopen it under any circumstances. And now that Daz is aware that's exactly what happened, they need to undo the mistake and issue refunds. They do not need to wait for affected users to contact them

I wonder how many subscriptions were reopened without the users' consent. Take that number and multiply it by $7.95. Then double it because the glitch hit twice. "We'll give it back if you ask us to" is not how you fix it.

Don't forget that the original poster has lost $69.95. That's one we know about. Usually if we know about one, there are certainly a lot more we don't know about.

Dana

edited January 2013

Okay, then whatever that "item" is, then DAZ should give a user the option of completely deleting it... or whatever the correct manifestation of that concept should be called...
    Put simply there should be a way for customers to "opt out" of this badly flawed feature... quite frankly, I would rather pay the renewal fee than trust DAZ to manage this correctly, if I should at some future date decide I want to rejoin the PC.

I trusted DAZ to not let this happen, I was told this option was for the customer's convenience and this very problem could NOT happen.... well, it did and they blew it.

I think what really bothers me the most is that when I expressed my initial concern, it was implied that it was a silly thing to worry about because it could not happen.

edited December 1969

I've deleted my card details. Unauthorized gets on my bank account will not be tolerated. Wal-Mart doesn't does this sort of thing, neither should DAZ.

• cgboltoncgbolton Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

I haven't been a PC member for a very long time and I deleted my credit card information off this website, but I have been double billed for a membership I'm not subscribed to, with a credit card DAZ should not have on file.

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have contacted DAZ to get these charges reversed and an explanation for why this has happened..

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,614
    edited December 1969

I would imagine perhaps they had old records for you, and during one of their upgrades your account was restored by mistake. IDK, that's just my guess.

edited December 1969

Perhaps SereneNight, but that doesn't explain why my credit card information is still floating around on their servers. DAZ has, or should have, a responsibility to safeguard all credit information. That includes destroying it when it is no longer needed. I have purchased many things online over the years and I have multiple per-authorized transactions on my credit and bank accounts each month and have never had a problem until now. I certainly have no intention of renewing my PC membership in the future, based on this distasteful experience.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

It has been explained many times over. DAZ does not keep your credit card information unless you want them to. With recurring membership plans like PC membership they only need your credit card information the first time you subscribe. Being a subscription service the rebilling is handled by the credit card company automatically every month, whether DAZ has your card profile stored or not. This is why it's imperative to actually cancel a membership the proper way through the website so that DAZ can inform the credit card company to stop making the payments. Deleting your card details will have no effect at all.

• 3DProclivity3DProclivity Posts: 538
    edited January 2013

cgbolton said:
    Perhaps SereneNight, but that doesn't explain why my credit card information is still floating around on their servers. DAZ has, or should have, a responsibility to safeguard all credit information. That includes destroying it when it is no longer needed. I have purchased many things online over the years and I have multiple per-authorized transactions on my credit and bank accounts each month and have never had a problem until now. I certainly have no intention of renewing my PC membership in the future, based on this distasteful experience.

Actually, I had a similar experience, without any charges.

When they moved the website, they had all my cc info...for every card I had ever used on DAZ. When I called them about it, they said that the old website stored all purchase information regardless of whether it was used or visible in the customers account. (I suspect most businesses have to maintain a money trail for tax purposes, audits, customer disputes, etc.).

Anyway, I deleted all that information right away and nothing that that has happened since. I don't save card info ever and never did.

I suspect that is what happened to you. You just didn't notice until your renewal date came up.

I seriously doubt, however, that your financial information is floating around anywhere unsecured. And I guarantee you that all your information is stored somewhere on some computer at your bank, your cc companies, and just about anywhere online and off that you shop. Seems the only way these days to opt out of the cyber world is to die....and even then, your death will be recorded in some database somewhere.

Not comforting? I know. And I'm all out of tin foil...which of course is not even made out of tin anymore.

Damn them! lol

-------
    True enough, Harry Dresden...I was merely address one thing the OP may have overlooked when we transitioned. And why her info is probably still somewhere out there without being anymore vulnerable to attack than all the rest of our info, ID, etc.

It's not paranoia if people are after you, is it? ;)

Post edited by 3DProclivity on
    edited December 1969

Harry, I did cancel my subscription properly - that's why I haven't been billed for months! Then two days ago BANG!

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

cgbolton said:

Actually, I had a similar experience, without any charges.

When they moved the website, they had all my cc info...for every card I had ever used on DAZ. When I called them about it, they said that the old website stored all purchase information regardless of whether it was used or visible in the customers account. (I suspect most businesses have to maintain a money trail for tax purposes, audits, customer disputes, etc.).

Anyway, I deleted all that information right away and nothing that that has happened since. I don't save card info ever and never did.

I suspect that is what happened to you. You just didn't notice until your renewal date came up.

I seriously doubt, however, that your financial information is floating around anywhere unsecured. And I guarantee you that all your information is stored somewhere on some computer at your bank, your cc companies, and just about anywhere online and off that you shop. Seems the only way these days to opt out of the cyber world is to die....and even then, your death will be recorded in some database somewhere.

Not comforting? I know. And I'm all out of tin foil...which of course is not even made out of tin anymore.

Damn them! lol

-------
    True enough, Harry Dresden...I was merely address one thing the OP may have overlooked when we transitioned. And why her info is probably still somewhere out there without being anymore vulnerable to attack than all the rest of our info, ID, etc.

That's why they invented debit and prepaid cards! For the criminally paranoid. ;)

edited December 1969

cgbolton said:
    Harry, I did cancel my subscription properly - that's why I haven't been billed for months! Then two days ago BANG!

Then we are back to did you delete the info when they changed website? If not that could explain it. Give them a call. I'm sure they will help you answer why it happened and help prevent such things in the future. Seriously.

PC membership rocks imho.

edited January 2013

[snip snip snip]

That's why they invented debit and prepaid cards! For the criminally paranoid. ;)

Well, criminally paranoid is a bit harsh. What did I do wrong? Hyper-paranoia is a healthy response to an unhealthy situation. :P

Post edited by 3DProclivity on
This discussion has been closed.