Older product difficulties with DS4.5.1.6 - Compiled Issues

Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
edited January 2013 in The Commons

The zip file for WfC has no DS mats and the poser mats aren't applying to the Centurion mesh. Current zip is IM00005905_wild-for-centurion. Anyone else having better luck?

Post edited by adamr001 on

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

Are you getting any error messages when you try to apply them? Do the Poser mats for Centurion itself work?

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

The whole Centurion suite is a bit of mess IMHO! The original cr2 files cause a memory access violation and subsequent crash in 32 and 64 bit versions of Studio 3 and 4, but load fine in Studio 2. The Poser materials in Wild, and the Expansion I seem to remember, don't do anything thing at all, and there is nothing added to the log file so no clue as to why. The DS materials all work fine however.

Fast forward to the current files in the store and they.ve all been updated in one way or another, but inconsistently. The Centurion Style, Poses and Wild add-ons have all been repackaged as single zip files, but the DS materials have been ommitted from Wild. The Expansion has been updated to version 1.1 with a metadata installer, and a poser dpc file, which now also contains the DS materials and metadata. The main Centurion outfit is still split into separate Poser and Daz installers, but retitled and now with an accompanying metadata file. All very inconsistent!

I have so far only installed the current files in a dummy folder, and will transfer them to my workstation later today to find out what does and doesn't work in various versions of Studio. I'm not holding out too much hope though since all the files are still dated 2007 and 2008.

I'm certainly intrigued to know how anyone has actually managed to open the clothing files in any version of Studio other than 2!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

Definitely put in a bug report for these - they won't get fixed if DAZ doesn't know about them.

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited January 2013

Everything seems to work for me other then the Wild set. No, they don't give any errors, they just don't do anything. Iirc the Poser mats for the base Centurion were working but I deleted them quickly as there were DS versions that worked so didn't have a need for them.

I was able to apply the Wild textures manually (in the parameters tab.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • kastawaykastaway Posts: 9
    edited January 2013

There are two main problems with the current *.pz2 files in the Wild for Centurion texture set.

1) The TextureMap tag in all the .pz2s has the wrong case for the first letter. To fix it, use your favorite editor, preferably one that can change batches of files at once, and change all the "TextureMap" tags to "textureMap" in every .pz2 file in the subdirectory "Runtime\Libraries\Pose\Wild for Centurion" under your main content directory. Note the lowercase 't' at the beginning of the replacement string.

2) Some of the pz2s have image names with spaces between the .jpg part of the file name and the double quote following the file name. This tells the program that the spaces are part of the file name when they really aren't. So, to fix it, look for the string ".jpg " (not including the double quotes, but including the trailing space) and delete all the spaces that are between .jpg and the subsequent double quote on the same line. Fortunately, the 2nd problem only occurs in 4 files: GoldArmplates.pz2, GoldShinPlate.pz2, LeopardGoldShield.pz2, and TigerArmplates.pz2.

I hope this helps!

Post edited by kastaway on
    edited December 1969

kastaway said:
    There are two main problems with the current *.pz2 files in the Wild for Centurion texture set.

1) The TextureMap tag in all the .pz2s has the wrong case for the first letter. To fix it, use your favorite editor, preferably one that can change batches of files at once, and change all the "TextureMap" tags to "textureMap" in every .pz2 file in the subdirectory "Runtime\Libraries\Pose\Wild for Centurion" under your main content directory. Note the lowercase 't' at the beginning of the replacement string.

2) Some of the pz2s have image names with spaces between the .jpg part of the file name and the double quote following the file name. This tells the program that the spaces are part of the file name when they really aren't. So, to fix it, look for the string ".jpg " (not including the double quotes, but including the trailing space) and delete all the spaces that are between .jpg and the subsequent double quote on the same line. Fortunately, the 2nd problem only occurs in 4 files: GoldArmplates.pz2, GoldShinPlate.pz2, LeopardGoldShield.pz2, and TigerArmplates.pz2.

I hope this helps!

Oh well spotted kastaway! I've been staring at the files for ages and didn't notice the various typos.

I've updated, loaded and checked the entire Centurion suite of products, and they are mostly working. However the skirt and top still cause memory violations and a Studio freeze in version 3.1 32 and 64 bit. I remember this happening to a few random models a couple of years back both for myself and others, and discovered that by simply changing the filename of the cr2 (and accompanying png) the files would load ok. I tried this with the skirt and top and they now work in Studio 3.1.

The only other problem that remains is the failure of the Wild Poser materials, but you seem to have isolated the errors kastaway, so I'll edit them accordingly. However the DS files are still missing from the zip in the store, as the original poster noted, and they work fine!

As also previously noted a bug report should be filed. I tried this once before, but my brain got all befuddled resulting in an almighty fail on my part! I'll give it another go :)

edited December 1969

Thank you, if the DS mats work that would be my preference. Hopefully DAZ will fix this. I guess I'll have to try to figure out the bug reporting system, ty. :)

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,936
    edited December 1969

Give as much information as you can on the bug report so they can hopefully reproduce it

edited December 1969

I think I successfully filed a bug report - I find the whole system very confusing! I tried to create a new password but it said there was no account in my name, so tried to sign up, but couldn't since it said there was already an account in my name! Catch 22 huh? Fortunately flailing around with wild guesses at my password yielded success. I included a detailed description and the errors dicovered by kastaway so hopefully the Daz boffins have enough information to rectify the faults.

edited December 1969

It always good to supply as much information as possible.

• kastawaykastaway Posts: 9
    edited December 1969

Dr Stupid said:
    I think I successfully filed a bug report - I find the whole system very confusing! I tried to create a new password but it said there was no account in my name, so tried to sign up, but couldn't since it said there was already an account in my name! Catch 22 huh? Fortunately flailing around with wild guesses at my password yielded success. I included a detailed description and the errors dicovered by kastaway so hopefully the Daz boffins have enough information to rectify the faults.

Thanks for reporting the bugs that have apparently resurfaced! After finally managing to decipher a bit more of the bug tracker interface and searching for your report, I also discovered an older report by woolyloach from 2008-01-05 which reported the same issues that I mentioned in this thread as well as the same fixes. I wish I'd seen that before I had to figure out the corrections on my own... According to the bug report (ID# 0021687), the issue was resolved on 2008-12-22. It would seem that those fixes (and the DS MATs) didn't make it to the more recently created product zip file.

edited December 1969

kastaway said:
    Dr Stupid said:

Thanks for reporting the bugs that have apparently resurfaced! After finally managing to decipher a bit more of the bug tracker interface and searching for your report, I also discovered an older report by woolyloach from 2008-01-05 which reported the same issues that I mentioned in this thread as well as the same fixes. I wish I'd seen that before I had to figure out the corrections on my own... According to the bug report (ID# 0021687), the issue was resolved on 2008-12-22. It would seem that those fixes (and the DS MATs) didn't make it to the more recently created product zip file.

Interesting. So it took just under a year to fix the files in 2008! However they couldn't have stayed fixed for long since I purchased the item in October of 2009 and the same problems with the pz2 files were present then, and are clearly still there. Curiouser and curiouser......:)

• Shawn68Shawn68 Posts: 40
    edited December 1969

What is the latest on 'Wild for Centurion' being fixed.

edited December 1969

The Display Cabinet doesn't load, the chest loads as the display cabinet sans some surfaces (sides and drawer fronts) and with the textures messed up. The poses for some of the weapons don't work...

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,954
    edited December 1969

Please post a link to the product, and say which application and version you are using.

edited December 1969

This Oriental Display Cabinet and Weapons and using Win7 64 DS Ver 4.5.1.6

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,954
    edited December 1969

There is a note on the order in which things should load in the product details, which does suggest something clever is being done. If it's using geometry switching that has been problematic, in various ways, in DS 4.x. Unfortunately I don't have that set to poke at it myself.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Did you see this?

NOTE: The Display Cabinet and Chest can be used in the same scene without any cross-talk issues provided that the Display Cabinet is loaded FIRST. If the Chest is loaded before the Display Cabinet, the upper Case will be neither visible nor will it render.

I'm wondering if what was done to make it possible to load without crosstalk is now causing problems...

edited December 1969

Thanks, looks like I'll have to rebuild the prop at some point.

edited December 1969

The bundle version is 1.1 and evidently the current version is 1.2. There are missing textures in 1.1 (at the least.)

edited December 1969

Which is probably why it was updated to 1.2

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Have you tried resetting it, to see if you get a different updated version.

Not just redownloading, actually resetting from your itemised history first.

edited January 2013

Yes, but for anyone who bought the bundle, the update isn't available at the current download state. @cho, yes.. just did before posting.

edited January 2013

I just double checked and it is the ds version that isn't updated. The dpc version is. The thing is, if one is only using DS, they don't need the dpc version (for this product) except for the sync problem where pieces are missing from the ds version.

Well, ty for help. Just need to load the ds version and the updated dpc, then delete unneeded mats and was good. Sometimes another pair of eyes is all it takes :)

edited December 1969

The materials are looking for a folder "Runtime\textures\SeqsTex\LanternJack\" but it is currently (in IM00004641_ol-lantern-jack.zip) named "Runtime\textures\SeqsTexts\LanternJack\"

Just changing the folder name fixes the problem.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

For older content, that is not a rare problem...and yeah, the easiest 'fix', is to find what the file (cr2, pp2, pz2, etc) is looking for and rename the 'missing' (there but named something else) folder...but if it is a path issue (hard coded path that starts in a user directory), it's better to edit the cr2, pp2, etc.

edited January 2013

Basically wanted to give the easiest fix, tested, for this specific problem.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Contact support and mention the sku of the bundle and the sku of the product that needs to be update in it if it does.

The online Help files don't indicate that the product was updated and the files in the bundle right now are older ones. The dpc ones are 1_2 and the ds ones are 1_1 . These are not 1.1 or 1.2 file designations. The designations are to indicate installer 1 and installer 2 of the product. DAZ used to designated older installers differently than they do now. Newer installers will indicate version number, older ones like those 2 don't.

An another example of the older designation:

The related product Toys of Yesteryear, which is in PC10 Extravaganza 1 has 1_1 & 1_2 files in it and you'll notice the texture templates you can download on the product page have a 1_3 designation.

Do note that some older products may sometimes skip a number. Example a product may have a 1_2 and 1_3 installer, but no 1_1.

With some older products you may notice that an expansion or a product of addition texture for a product will continue the "numbering sequence" for installers.

Example: Base product has 1_1 1_2, & 1_3 installers while the texture expansion will have 1_4 & 1_5 designations.

edited December 1969

Yes, ty Jay.. I was simply spacing when I read the file name. I'm not sure what the updates contain but if dpc and ds are loaded it seems to work. The package should be updated if the individual ones were though. DAZ really needs a better system of keeping track of what is in what bundles obviously as this shouldn't be an issue like it is.

edited December 1969

The LB Carnation Bouquets are looking for a "/Runtime/textures/LaurieS/LS_CarnationB/LS_Carnationspec.jpg" file. There is no such folder or file with the LB Carnation Product. There is a "\Runtime\textures\DAZ\Props\Nature\LB_Carnation\" path with 3 spec files: LB_Carnation01S, LB_Carnation02S, and LB_Carnation03S.

It could be that the two bouquets for the vases are not complete because of the "included for use with the Tall and Short Vases from Carnation Bouquet by Laurie S." However, that does not explain why it should be giving the same error for the Gather Basket Bouquet.