Older product difficulties with DS4.5.1.6 - Compiled Issues

Comments

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Generally, try editing your first post.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I know this will sound 'anti-authority' but why do we need THREE administrators in this thread?

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

Spit said:
    I know this will sound 'anti-authority' but why do we need THREE administrators in this thread?
    Because we need 4. :)

Honestly it's because we work as a team not individuals. :)

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886
    edited December 1969

All of that content is old as in pre DS1.8, as a result most of those DS files stopped working when DS3 was released, so it was recommended that people use the Poser format versions instead, and it's only thanks to a "fix" in DS4 that you can use those DS files now, but the recommendation is still the same, use the Poser files.

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    Spit said:
    Because we need 4. :)

Honestly it's because we work as a team not individuals. :)

And here's number 4! :lol:

BTW, there's a spill in aisle 1.

edited January 2013

Bejaymac said:
    All of that content is old as in pre DS1.8, as a result most of those DS files stopped working when DS3 was released, so it was recommended that people use the Poser format versions instead, and it's only thanks to a "fix" in DS4 that you can use those DS files now, but the recommendation is still the same, use the Poser files.

Interesting. I always felt guilty about only installing the Poser version but with most of Lisa's stuff there was little to no fiddling necessary anyway.

BTW, QC is much better these days than back then. There were many texture references incorrect in a lot of files in the old days. I faithfully ran Correct Reference on everything I installed and it fixed plenty. As the years went by, it found fewer and fewer problems so I stopped using it. And it was usually users in the forums and the PA getting involved to fix them. We seem to have a more direct and streamlined process these days.

Post edited by Spit on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited January 2013

Spit said:
    I follow Gedd's threads and check my products. In this case I only have the Poser version which is now on its third machine since it was first released.

That .pp2 exists in the Poser version.

If it does NOT exist in the Poser version (you didn't say) then the only explanation for its existence on my harddrive is that sometime prior to May 2007 I noticed it was missing, copied another Tree 4 pp2, changed the texture reference, and renamed it.

Good catch. Ordinarily I automatically check the Poser version if the DS version isn't working, but that has always been with textures before. This being a Shader, and all of the other DS shaders being present I didn't double check the Poser shader. It is there btw "LB_Cherry4SWhite." It is still missing in the DS version however for anyone interested.

I always load DS shaders if they are available, and delete the Poser ones, unless they are necessary to work with the DS ones. I need to keep things simple or I loose track of what I'm doing.

This is not a deal killer btw as there are many trees in this set.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited January 2013

adamr, the author of the *Great* tutorial on UberEnvironment, three cheers :)

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 693
    edited December 1969

I loaded many of the different cherry trees into DS4.5 The look great except for the fact that the tree trunk is not there. The surface tab is there, but the geometry doesn't come through. I have this happen in about 1 in 20 models in 4.5. I'm not sure how to resuscitate them. Any ideas? It seems like DS doesn't not like the geometry for some reason.

edited December 1969

Is that on specific trees or all of them for you?

edited January 2013

I just checked 27 trees, no problems with the trunks here. Using DS 4.5.1.6 on Win7.

An interesting note, if the .ds file is missing, even with the .png it simply won't show anything amiss in the content tab so this is actually an easy problem to miss. The only way someone would notice it is by looking at their folder and notice a png file with no matching ds file.

Another side note: Since the 'Ground Clutter' is a single plane, texture mapped.. it doesn't show well when rendered from anything not top down. However, if one adds some color to the ambient channel it actually works ok. On the pink ground clutter I added pink ofc, with about 20-25% ambient.

edited December 1969

Spit said:
    .... We seem to have a more direct and streamlined process these days.

It might be that I don't have enough history to appreciate the bug reporting system. I have seen that before from the other side.

edited December 1969

I loaded many of the different cherry trees into DS4.5 The look great except for the fact that the tree trunk is not there. The surface tab is there, but the geometry doesn't come through. I have this happen in about 1 in 20 models in 4.5. I'm not sure how to resuscitate them. Any ideas? It seems like DS doesn't not like the geometry for some reason.

Check the transparency on the trunks. The original release of the cherry trees had that problem. I don't remember exactly what it was. There may have erroneously been a texture map under opacity or it was set to 0 instead of 100%. I think they fixed the problem so a reset should be sufficient. I'm pretty sure I fixed my files myself but it was a long long long time ago.

I've had the invisible thing happen on parts of a couple clothing items (not DAZ) and I suspect it's a minor discrepancy in the geometry file because they don't work in Studio 3 either.

edited December 1969

v1.1 of the Cinnamon Fern has double names for everything. There is a DS version of the shader, a DSON version, and a matching png. Since I am only using DS, I deleted the DSON version and now have a single set of names for each fern/fern group. Also, everything appears to work fine. I'm just double checking if anyone knows why I might not want to do that? Is there anything it could have broke that I might not have noticed?

edited December 1969

Gedd, in this one I agree with the mods. That's not a problem. This is a non-new information post. Smart Content has tons of doubles. One for ds and one for dson.

edited December 1969

Actually, was asking a question. Specifically if there are any ramifications to deleting the DSON files if not using Poser.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

DSON is a Daz format (the .DUF), so if you don't use Poser, that's the one you want to keep. You've probably confused it with the DSON importer for Poser, which is designed to convert DSON files into a poser-compatible format.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,954
    edited December 1969

The problem was the the opacity map was assigned to the trunks - harmless in Poser, since that sets transparency, but in DS, which sets opacity, it made the trunks invisible. Simply remove the map (click on its little square next to the Opacity slider and seelct None from the menu) to fix it, if a redownload doesn't get a fixed version.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

DSON is a Daz format (the .DUF), so if you don't use Poser, that's the one you want to keep.
    Yep DS4.5 only
    edited December 1969

Thank you everyone helping out. That was really the meaning of the thread, to help anyone with issues re: the cherry trees. It's still a very nice product for the price :)

edited January 2013

Thank you, so the other DS files are actually meant for the older versions of DS I assume?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

exactly

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

This helped, tyvm everyone :)

• JGreenleesJGreenlees Posts: 2,249
    edited December 1969

I am taking a look at the trees today and will attempt to update them to 4.5. This is one set that I have missed in updating Lisa's stuff. If you see any other issues please feel free to drop me a message and I will look into it. This set was created in Studio 2 I believe which is why it may not be working correctly. But I am working on it.

edited December 1969

Thank You JGreenless, and while here.. your Racer Textures for Unicycle Bob look great! :)

• JGreenleesJGreenlees Posts: 2,249
    edited December 1969

Thank you so much. I am glad you like them:)

edited December 1969

Mailbox Grass 1a loads with a Default Camera. Pump Vine B loads with a full set of lights and a Default Camera. These Lights and Cameras will overwrite your current lights/cameras so be careful. Since none of the other grasses or vines do this, I'm guessing this was a mistake.

The set is a very nice set otherwise and I recommend it :)

edited January 2013

I rename my files like many people do so that they make sense to me. Because this set has so many parts that can be confusing, I'm listing my renames for anyone interested. Be aware that this will break your metadata, so if you use metadata you might not want to rename the files.
    _________________________________________________________________________________
    10x10 Grass a
    10x10 Grass b
    Mailbox Dirt a
    Mailbox Dirt b
    Mailbox Grass 1a
    Mailbox Grass 1b
    Mailbox Grass 2a
    Mailbox Grass 2b
    Mailbox Grass 3a
    Mailbox Grass 3b
    Mailbox Grass 4a
    Mailbox Grass 4b
    Mailbox Vine a
    Mailbox Vine b
    Pump Grass 1a
    Pump Grass 1b
    Pump Grass 2a
    Pump Grass 2b
    Pump Vine a
    Pump Vine b
    Trellis Vine 1a
    Trellis Vine 1b
    Trellis Vine 2a
    Trellis Vine 2b
    Trellis Vine 3a
    Trellis Vine 3b
    Window Vine 1a
    Window Vine 1b
    Window Vine 2a
    Window Vine 2b

+---Materials
    | Cottage & Pump Grass a
    | Cottage & Pump Grass b
    | Cottage & Pump Vine a
    | Cottage & Pump Vine b
    | Cottage Dirt a
    | Cottage Dirt b
    | Cottage Vine a
    | Cottage Vine b
    | Mailbox Grass a
    | Mailbox Grass b
    | Mailbox Vine a
    | Mailbox Vine b
    |
    | \---Raven's Court Materials
    | Ground a
    | Ground ab
    |
    \---Raven's Court Preloads
    Mailbox, Full a
    Mailbox, Full b
    Mailbox, Zero a
    Mailbox, Zero b
    Pump, Full a
    Pump, Full b
    Pump, Zero a
    Pump, Zero b
    Random Grass, Front a
    Random Grass, Front b
    Random Grass, Left a
    Random Grass, Left b
    Random Grass, Rear a
    Random Grass, Rear b
    Random Grass, Right a
    Random Grass, Right b
    Trellis Vine 1a
    Trellis Vine 1b
    Trellis Vine 2a
    Trellis Vine 2b
    Trellis Vine 3a
    Trellis Vine 3b
    Trellis Vine, Left a
    Trellis Vine, Left b
    Trellis Vine, Rear a
    Trellis Vine, Rear b
    Trellis Vine, Right a
    Trellis Vine, Right b
    Window Vine 1, Left Rear
    Window Vine 1, Right 1
    Window Vine 1, Right Rear
    Window Vine 2, Center Rear
    Window Vine 2, Front a
    Window Vine 2, Front b
    Window Vine 2, Right

edited January 2013

The only feasible way to rename this many files is some automated method. I personally use an image cataloging program that allows mass renaming of files. It then takes practice to get efficient at it.

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

I have forwarded on your concerns to DAZ, but to facilitate this I have consolidated your posts so they are not required to review multiple threads. It is *strongly recommended* that you file a bug report and/or a customer service incident on these issues as well as that is the official path to receive help and get the product corrected and will likely result in a faster response.

Thanks!
    -- Adam