The Mac FAQ

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,870

The Driver you download from the web from nVidia is always called WebDriver, not to confuse it with a driver that is delivered with the hardware.

And the download even says (in the additional information tab on that page): Download - WebDriver-334.01.03f01.pkg

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664

But they're words that don't exist on the page, which is perhaps a failing by NVIDIA.

On previous pages of this thread, you've recommended trying those drivers out, here you say they're problematic.  Let's assume that's the more recent ones, as I'd need older ones as I'm runnning Mavericks. 

Do you recommend the NVIDIA "web"drivers despite their Notes about which computers they're for? (even assuming the installer doesn't have a gate which would stop an imac installation in the first place)?

At this link:http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77751/en-us click the tab saying Additional Information

Totte said:

At this link:http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77751/en-us click the tab saying Additional Information

And that tells me what? It has the comment: Model identifier should be MacPro3,1 (2008), MacPro4,1 (2009), MacPro5,1 (2010) or later which is he same info as ""This driver update is for Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), Mac Pro 4,1 (2009) and Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) users only. "

Neither of which is you saying IF you as an experienced user recommend trying to install them or not.

Well, on the QTCore crashes, got a reply:

We are aware of this issue and it should be fixed in the next version of DAZ studio.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Have a good day.

Topher

Technical Support

Daz 3D

• Where does the CMS store the backup file? I had to do a complete wipe of my Mac and am having to manually reinstall some things. When I launch DAZ, I lose all of my personally-tagged content from my smart library, and all of my saved scenes, character, etc., from the SmartContent tab. 

I have a full TimeMachine backup and am saavy enough to navigate into the hidden depths, but I can't figure out where the actual relevant files are. Of course, I'm so frustrated by all the problems getting things restored today that I'm probably incredibly stupid.

Hello,

If you have done "Export User Data" from the CMS Panel, you will fins it in "Primary DAZ Library"/Runtime/Support  (where all metadata is installed to be read into the DB)

• Thanks Totte. Unfortunately, it looks like the last time I exported my user data was more than two months ago, so all of my recent non-DAZ purchases and freebies aren't showing up in SmartContent and—more significantly—all of the saved characters, scenes, material settings, etc., aren't either. Is there someplace I can pull the old setting from in my backups? Or, if not, a way to reimport the assets without having to resave them? I'd also love to get back my custom UI settings, which sem to be lost—in short, I just want to reinstall everything as it was. The backups are there, but I don't know where the files I need are.

Content Library is behaving differently, so instead of using the arrows to move through it, I have to click the folders. 

If your backups are there, all DS settings are stored in files in ~/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D (and apprortiate subfolder), usually .ini files.

For you smart content, that's a little worse as you would need to go back to those DB files and I will not recommend doing that unless you know excatly what you do. Lesson, "Tough men don't take backups" ;-) 

Baclup you userdata once in a while.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582

You can "Scan Known DIrectories For New Files" to get your saved scenes, etc., into Unassigned.

• HyJinxHyJinx Posts: 172

I'm sure you've answered this question a thousand times before, I'm sorry for posing it again if that's the case.  I'm completely new to the world of Macs, and I'm having difficulty figuring out where/how to install third party content so that I can use it in Daz Studio.  Would you be able to offer any direction in baby steps?  I'm not seeing the "runtime" folder that I was familiar with when running DS on my PC, am I just not looking in the right place?  My entire intall path is likely a mess because I just installed using the reccomended settings.  Any advice you (or anyone) may be able to offer will be greatly appreciated!

HyJinx said:

I'm sure you've answered this question a thousand times before, I'm sorry for posing it again if that's the case.  I'm completely new to the world of Macs, and I'm having difficulty figuring out where/how to install third party content so that I can use it in Daz Studio.  Would you be able to offer any direction in baby steps?  I'm not seeing the "runtime" folder that I was familiar with when running DS on my PC, am I just not looking in the right place?  My entire intall path is likely a mess because I just installed using the reccomended settings.  Any advice you (or anyone) may be able to offer will be greatly appreciated!

You can try my Installer for OS X, a program I wrote for a friend who was impossible to teach;-) Updated it recently to make it even better.

Found Here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?p=7775

• HyJinxHyJinx Posts: 172
    Totte said:
    HyJinx said:

You can try my Installer for OS X, a program I wrote for a friend who was impossible to teach;-) Updated it recently to make it even better.

Found Here: http://4eyes.code66.se/?p=7775

Thanks so much for the quick reply!  I downloaded the program you reccomended, thanks so much for creating it!  I'm still stumped as to how to fund the "destination" folder?  I haven't been able to find a 'runtime' folder anywhwere!

In DS, under Content Directory manager (you find it under preferences), you can see what path DS uses.

• CZCZ Posts: 160

Hi!

I'm quiet new to Daz and I really love it. Hope I'm in the right topic here. I want to do Iray renders. So far I'm working on a Mac Air which needs really long time to render. That's why I want to by a new system. But as I'm not a computer expert, I'm not sure what to look for. As far as I see, there are no regular Macs with Nvidia graphic cards. At least at the apple store page. Or am I wrong?

My question is, if I have somehow to put a Nvidia card to my new system myself (I'm not sure if I can do this) or if I just have to go for high CPU?

Any recommendations which Mac would be suitable for Daz? Thank you very much in advance!

CZ said:

Hi!

I'm quiet new to Daz and I really love it. Hope I'm in the right topic here. I want to do Iray renders. So far I'm working on a Mac Air which needs really long time to render. That's why I want to by a new system. But as I'm not a computer expert, I'm not sure what to look for. As far as I see, there are no regular Macs with Nvidia graphic cards. At least at the apple store page. Or am I wrong?

My question is, if I have somehow to put a Nvidia card to my new system myself (I'm not sure if I can do this) or if I just have to go for high CPU?

Any recommendations which Mac would be suitable for Daz? Thank you very much in advance!

An old (Pre 2009-2012) MacPro (you can get refurbished ones wirth upgraded CPUs at for example Otherworld Computing), and toss in a nVidia Card. That's the best render box you can get for OS X as you can render both with lot's of CPU and GPU. Be careful choosing card, you won't see the the boot screen unless you have a card with EFI boot as video card and do not mix AMD/ATI cards with nVida cards. I got a 6GB GTX-780 but now I would get this card at the moment: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-QUADRO-M4000-ECC/dp/B013W9NES0  M4000 (8GB RAM and not power hungry and works with nVidia drivers on OS X as it's a "pro card". But the 4GB GTX-960 is a good choice too, and much cheaper. You might need a micro-PCI 6 pin power to 6 PIN power adapter cable, you can get that world wide shipping from china for $15.

• CZCZ Posts: 160

Thanks a lot!

After reading a lot, I think now I will buy a refurbished iMac (released 2013, 3,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Prozessor, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB GDDR5). The easiest way for me to get a much better system than I have now.

I know this is not even close to what you have mentioned, but there are not much suitable (high CPU) refurbished Mac Book Pros available on the german market. And I'm not sure, if I am able to change the graphic stuff by myself. Additionally I have read some rumors from a lot of different sites, that there will be a new Mac Book Pro out in 2016. This shall be somehow a gaming Mac with Nvidia GeForce GTX 950. So I think, I will safe some money until than and get it. Assuming that those rumors are true. ;) But until than I will try the iMac, because rendering on my old Mac Air needs several days for nice results. At least I think so, because I cancelled every render after more than 14 hours at about 5%. ;)

CZ said:

Thanks a lot!

After reading a lot, I think now I will buy a refurbished iMac (released 2013, 3,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 Prozessor, NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB GDDR5). The easiest way for me to get a much better system than I have now.

I know this is not even close to what you have mentioned, but there are not much suitable (high CPU) refurbished Mac Book Pros available on the german market. And I'm not sure, if I am able to change the graphic stuff by myself. Additionally I have read some rumors from a lot of different sites, that there will be a new Mac Book Pro out in 2016. This shall be somehow a gaming Mac with Nvidia GeForce GTX 950. So I think, I will safe some money until than and get it. Assuming that those rumors are true. ;) But until than I will try the iMac, because rendering on my old Mac Air needs several days for nice results. At least I think so, because I cancelled every render after more than 14 hours at about 5%. ;)

A 1GB nVidia card is "useless" for Iray, you need at least 4GB if you want to fit not only Cuda but a mesh also in the VRAM.

CZ said:

Thanks a lot!

Take a look at my mac stats in my sig.  I can get iray GPU to work, but it's a slog, and if you track back thru this thread, you'll see I've had a lot of stability issues from it.

Totte said:

An old (Pre 2009-2012) MacPro (you can get refurbished ones wirth upgraded CPUs at for example Otherworld Computing), and toss in a nVidia Card. That's the best render box you can get for OS X as you can render both with lot's of CPU and GPU. Be careful choosing card, you won't see the the boot screen unless you have a card with EFI boot as video card and do not mix AMD/ATI cards with nVida cards. I got a 6GB GTX-780 but now I would get this card at the moment: http://www.amazon.com/PNY-NVIDIA-QUADRO-M4000-ECC/dp/B013W9NES0  M4000 (8GB RAM and not power hungry and works with nVidia drivers on OS X as it's a "pro card". But the 4GB GTX-960 is a good choice too, and much cheaper. You might need a micro-PCI 6 pin power to 6 PIN power adapter cable, you can get that world wide shipping from china for $15.

It's possible to flash the rom on video cards to work on a mac...I remember doing so to make a card I was given for my Powermac G5 work, but it was ages ago, and a lot of hassle.

Are you recomending the 2009-2012 MacPro's for ease of customizing? (of course, with things like $800 video cards, I'm not heading in that direction...I haven't tried out the Reality 4.1 I got for $11 yet.

Scavenger said:
    CZ said:

Thanks a lot!

Take a look at my mac stats in my sig.  I can get iray GPU to work, but it's a slog, and if you track back thru this thread, you'll see I've had a lot of stability issues from it.

Totte said:

It's possible to flash the rom on video cards to work on a mac...I remember doing so to make a card I was given for my Powermac G5 work, but it was ages ago, and a lot of hassle.

Are you recomending the 2009-2012 MacPro's for ease of customizing? (of course, with things like $800 video cards, I'm not heading in that direction...I haven't tried out the Reality 4.1 I got for $11 yet.

The 2009-2012 Alu Mac Pros can add nVidia Graphics cards. Yes, you can buy or flash cards, the main issue is that many cards have a few bytes too small flash memory for the EFI driver (on purpose). And the machine stability for constant rendering is very neat, Xeons are built for sustained 100% usage, the i7 is not. I've almost melted a MacMini (used it as Vue render cow).

• A lot (but not all) of my content in Poser format stopped working—I get a message telling me to make sure my Library is set-up properly for Poser content, and asking me to locate .obj files (which I can't find via search). I've been having harddrive problems and had to reinstall things from a back-up in a piecemeal fashion, so there may be gaps, but today much more content seems to be unworking. The Smart Library isn't showing a lot of stuff, either. 

I reimported metadata (after backing up my user settings), but that didn't solve the problem. If there a fix for this beyond reinstalling everything?

If the obj cannot be found, it look slike your "Runtime/Geometries"  library is bad. Do you have full backups or just parts, and if you smartcontent stopped working, it sounds like the paths are wrong.

First thing, are you using an external drive on Thunderbolt or USB?

If so, if it has glitched, or you machine went to sleep, there is a small chance it came back with a different internal path. A reboot is the best way to fix that, unless you know what you do and can dismount the shadow-drives via the terminal.

• I am using an external drive for my library. That souns like a likely explanation. Thanks!

• aaráribel caađoaaráribel caađo Posts: 686
    edited November 2015

Unfortunately, a restart didn't solve the problem. I reinstalled the things I still have copies of the original purchased zip files (from non-DAZ vendors), but I'm still having a lot of issues with there not being SmartContent previews (I get the blank with yellow warning triangle even when the stuff in the product folder works) and the missing .obj/"make sure Poser content directories are set up properly" warnings. If I reset the database and reimport my user data + metadata, would that solve the problem? I'm hesitatant to expirament with that, since it warns it can't be undone.

Also, is there a way of seeing all missing content? I can redownload most of my purchased stuff, but I want to figure out what's missing before tracking down my receipts (or figuring out the URLs for things from places like sharecg).

Post edited by aaráribel caađo on

The issue you seems to be having is that smart content db and the real world is synced. Have you tried to do "Reimport Metadata"? 

And, if you have an external Disk, you haven't changed the name of it?

• I changed external disks when the previous one failed—but I gave them the same name to keep the paths consistent. Could that be the problem? I'll check on the "Reimport Metadata" solution, but I think I did that as a first step.

If the name is the same there shouldn't be a problem, but go ahead with metadata import, that is a good solver for many problems.

• Hi gang.  Total newbie here. I just installed Install Manager; I think I've got DAZ Studio 4.8 (Mac 64-bit) installed, at last that's what IM says. 

So, my bonehead newbie question is... How do I launch DAZ Studio?  I can't find it in Applications; there's no icon on the desktop; I can't find any way to launch from IM; it's not coming up in Spotlight.  What gives?  I have 14 packages installed, such as lightting, surfaces, male/female starter essentials, Genesis 3 starter essentials, and Growing Up for Genesis 3.  

Any & all help & sympathy is requested. I've watched the getting started videos and I'm ready to go!  Thank you. 

have you installed it? In that case DAZ Studio will be in /Applications/DAZ 3D/, but DIM if not told otherwise will create a desktop alias as well.

If you in the install Manager click in the tab "installed", and type "DAZ Studio" in the search field, does it show up in installed?

If it does, if you rightclick the line and do show installed , what and where was installed..

• edited December 2015

Thanks Totte.  I think it's installed.  In DIM, DAZ Studio 4.8 appears in the "Installed" tab. There is a button to click to uninstall, so I guess that means it's installed. However, there is no desktop icon.  I found, way deep in my Users/Shared directory an entire directory called My DAZ 3D library with loads of files & folders. But I can't find the executable program at all.  I'm trying to attach a screen shot of what I see in DIM if I can figure out how to do attachments on this forum. 

DAZ.jpg
    637 x 526 - 91K
    Post edited by leaping_gnome_1f578071ea on