Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

The second one is definitely better, also the shadows. The first one is flat.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I agree

I love seeing people playing around to try get good glass settings. I love glass things in the real world, have quite a collection of what I think is called "Art Glass"

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Thanks. The only difference between the two is the refractive setting. The original material came in with refractive set to 100, and I changed it to 153. Below is the image I had in the oven, with lower specular settings for all three radial lights. I think, compared to the second image above, this one would be between the first and second image above. I've another one cooking with higher specular settings for all three radial lights.

Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_10.png
    750 x 750 - 626K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I love glass things in the real world, have quite a collection of what I think is called "Art Glass"

That is exactly what I'm missing. I have to work with my distorted memory of such things. My try ought to be finished by tomorrow, it is at 60% after 22 hours. You'll be the judge.
  • TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Hey all, been busy getting files ready for t-shirts.

...Here are two recent ones, the 2nd is tiled to get that effect. :D

simplicity65dev.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 2M
    simplicity64dev.jpg
    1872 x 1560 - 4M
    edited December 1969

Both look very nice. I like the colours of the second and the pattern on the first.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Oh I like the colors of both of them. Very nice indeed. ;-)

edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus: Wow, beautiful images, wonderful color in both.

Below is my latest iteration of my glass experiment. Not satisfied with the results, but it is getting better. Adjust one thing and the top darkens. Adjust something else and too much yellow results.

Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_20.png
    750 x 750 - 651K
  • ApocApoc Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

@ Horo , Miss_B :
    Thank you for Great Feedback :D
    @ David :
    I always appreciate your videos, It helps me understand that there is so much more to Bryce then meets the eye :). Your landscaping works are breath-taking and is where I want to aim most of my skills in Bryce, but I still feels I got a way to go.

Since there was a lot of renders involving cars, I wanted to try a simple render with the illusion of motion.

1st one is 100% Bryce
    2nd and 3rd is post worked in paint.net

Speedster2.png
    1280 x 960 - 2M
    Speedster1.png
    1280 x 960 - 2M
    kol.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited May 2013

Apoc23 – all three are lovely but I like the bluish postworked one more. I like the first one of the car -100% Bryce one more than the other two.

Chohole – beautiful landscape –the lighting in the 2nd one is lovely.

TLBklaus – nice abstracts, I like the 2nd one better.

Guss - you are getting nice results, the last one looks promising.

Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited December 1969

@Apoc23 - nice renders. I prefer the first one, but I don't know what you were after, so it may well be that the post worked ones are better.

edited May 2013

@Guss:

I love the glass renders, its a lot better then my attempts that's for sure :D

@Mermaid010:

Thank you, and I also agree, the car renders could of used some more work, but it was a fun attempt ^_^. I want to experiment with lighting more before I try something like this again.

@Horo:

To be honest, I kind of wanted that soft sunset glow, but I feel as I went a bit overboard with the special effects. but even so, I couldn't help myself but to like it anyway lol

Post edited by Apoc on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited May 2013

Another seascape, this time with yachts in full sail.:-)

In_Full_Sail_2.jpg
    1200 x 686 - 146K
    Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

Looks very nice. The rocky island looked quite large to me, but the sail boats are quite large, so it must be small.

edited December 1969

Ok, I finally got my glass render 6 hours earlier than Bryce calculated: less than 2 days and 2 hours.

GlassDragon.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 273K
    edited December 1969

Looks great to me. :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    While everyone else has been working on all their facinating images and tecniques, I have been going along in my normal boring fashion.

This is my first attempt at using the instancing though, combined with some of my imported trees.

Raw render, and then one tweaked with a photography filter

Well I don't know how I missed these 2 Pam, but they're really good. I also like the second one a little better, but only because it seems more vibrant, if that's even the right word to describe it. The lighting in the second one makes everything stand out more. Well done! ;-)
    edited December 1969

wilmap said:
    Another seascape, this time with yachts in full sail.:-)

Ohhhh, a Regatta! Nicely done Wilmap. :-)
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Below is my latest iteration of my glass experiment. Not satisfied with the results, but it is getting better. Adjust one thing and the top darkens. Adjust something else and too much yellow results.
    I don't know, I like this one. I think I like the softer shadows on the floor better.

Ok, I finally got my glass render 6 hours earlier than Bryce calculated: less than 2 days and 2 hours.

Now I know I wouldn't have the patience to wait that long for a render, but the results in this case are great. ;-)
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

The glass dragon itself looks very good, but I'm not sure I believe in the shadows.

Wendy's render of the island and the boats has a good quality of light, but I agree that there might be some consideration to make about the scale of the island. Either smaller boats or bigger island might make the better suited. Never the less, it is a very good looking render and that's only a minor point.

edited December 1969

Thank you all for your kind comments.

chohole said:
    You're the reference! Thank you.

Miss B said:
    Now I know I wouldn't have the patience to wait that long for a render, but the results in this case are great. ;-)

A second computer can be quite handy. On the main machine, I could have done it in less than a day. But my spare i3 cost less than half, it consumes 60% less power, has no fans and comes to 60% of the speed of the i7 so it is actually more efficient.

The glass dragon itself looks very good, but I'm not sure I believe in the shadows.
    Pam says it looks good, she's got such things. I've got to find some full glass figure or object to be sure how it has to look, beer and wine bottles just won't do. The shadows - well, there are several lights. But then, that would also be something that could be verifyed with a real thing.

edited May 2013

Horo said:
    Thank you all for your kind comments.

chohole said:
    You're the reference! Thank you.

Miss B said:

A second computer can be quite handy. On the main machine, I could have done it in less than a day. But my spare i3 cost less than half, it consumes 60% less power, has no fans and comes to 60% of the speed of the i7 so it is actually more efficient.

Pam says it looks good, she's got such things. I've got to find some full glass figure or object to be sure how it has to look, beer and wine bottles just won't do. The shadows - well, there are several lights. But then, that would also be something that could be verifyed with a real thing.

Well my glass cabinet is lit with a small spot from above, and the shelves themself are glass as well, then there is the main room lighting, which is a three light chandalier type thing The shadows do look good to me, and the reflections, My red glass dragon has quite strong shadows in places, and some glorious reflections due to the glass shelf.

Photographing it is difficult though, as my camera is not working. Mind you even when it was working I found taking photos of the glass was not easy to make look good. This was my attempt at some of my irridescent glass mushroooms on the bottom, non glass, shelf, and the flash has killed some of the reflections, but you can still see some.

some_mushrooms.jpg
    800 x 600 - 168K
    Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

@ Horo:

The glass looks simply stunning :)

edited December 1969

Sadly enough, when I came back to daz after the big site update, one of my favorite features were removed. ( The monthly render contests ). There are a few old images I would love to show case to everyone if people would love to give feedback :)

Final_Epic_(ink).png
    1200 x 916 - 2M
    EpicStand1.png
    1200 x 916 - 2M
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Apoc23 said:
    Sadly enough, when I came back to daz after the big site update, one of my favorite features were removed. ( The monthly render contests ).

Although the previous monthly render gallery contests aren't around, there are some new contests. There's a new monthly contest right here in the Bryce forum. Here are the two links:
    WIP (work in progress) thread is http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21509/
    Entry thread is http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/22731/
    If you are a Platinum Club member, there are also several contests there (the monthly one will end up in a newsletter I think), and there are a few others that are either random or periodic. I've been trying to track them down and link to them from this thread when I see them and remember, and hopefully others will do the same if that is of value: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/21953/

I like the render. I do notice that the shadows are very dark and the background is very light; is that the effect you intended?

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Miss B said:

Yes, when you compare it that way, it actually is. I really need to get a new desktop. I'm tired of not being able to get any rendering done when I have other things I need to work on.
    edited May 2013

@Apoc: Like the first car image, though I wonder if the clouds are a bit burned out, AKA too much light. If you want less intense sun there are two sliders in the Sky lab under Sun/Moon visible. One is disk intensity and the other is glow intensity, which might help you in the other two images. As to the glass I'm experimenting on, I'm still learning what combinations in the Mat lab will give a good looking overall glass without using ambience. And I'm still stumbling along.

@mermaid: Thank you.

@Wilmap: Nice image.

@Horo: Wow, nice color and glass look, especially the sphere in the mouth. I too wondered about the reflections, but since I have nothing to go by, nice looking.

@Pam: Love your glass collection, especially the multi-colored dark ones. That's one hobby I could easily get into.

@Miss B: Thank you. One of many reasons I wasn't really happy with that particular image is that it's brighter than I'd like, and discovering how to lessen the brightness, but still have translucent and shine, is a bit daunting. Especially since it's a learning experience for me.

After posting my latest attempt at creating glass without using ambience, I asked myself several questions. Aside from why am I trying this, the one question that bothered me the most was what is Specularity. I thought I understood what it was but instead of puzzling over my knowledge, or lack thereof, I got out my Bryce 4 book and found the section dealing with the subject. The more I read the more I understood Specularity belonged to the illumination group, something I was having trouble controlling in my attempts. What did catch my eye were Figures showing the results of different Transparency settings with different Reflective settings, when Refraction was set to 150. One of those examples looked like what I was trying to accomplish, so I gave those settings a try, then fiddled a bit more. The image below is the result of following the examples in my Bryce 4 book. It still doesn't have the right ratio between Transparency and Reflective because there is still too much black in the object material. And it may be I'll have to reset the Refractive setting as well. I repositioned the sun so it's overhead, and dialed down specular in the radial lights and for the sun. Hopefully if I keep at it I'll eventually get the right ratio between Transparency, Reflective, Reflection, and specular in the light sources..

Fancy_Cube_Glass_Test_No_HDR_25.png
    750 x 750 - 662K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

@Guss:

Thank you for the advice :)

edited December 1969

@Apoc: You're welcome.

edited December 1969

@Apoc23 - nice renders. The first one looks soft but has a lot of charm. The second has a toon/CEL shading quality to it which I greatly admire. You haven't accomplished these effects in Bryce, have you?

By the way - the galleries. Yes, we've been missing them for a year now. But galleries will come back eventually. It is in the pipeline to implement.

@chohole - thanks for showing off your collection. Very nice. Photographing is indeed a challenge. I've thought about this already should I ever get hold of such a glass thingy. The flash spoils everything. Without a tripod and extended exposure time it will be extremely tricky to get it right.

@GussNemo - I think ambient is of no help for glass (I have none on the dragon). The refractive index of ordinary glass is 1.53 (hence 153) but there are also denser glasses. Specularity on a surface is a bit of a cheat, there is no such thing as specularity in nature. It is always reflection but on a surface that is not completely smooth. For IBL, we have the option of a specular map and can use reflection on a smooth surface and get the specular highlight. Instead of the material, it's the light creating the glossiness.

This discussion has been closed.