Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Horo: the trees look every nice. I managed to download and few but have not started playing with them. Do you mean that you just put a blob in the transparency channel and change to Blend Transparency. I think TheSavage or Chohole suggested this.

Yes, that was all I did.

Thanks Horo, now to have some fun, I downloaded a few more today.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

Been experimenting a bit with hatched toon shading.

Island-large.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 383K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Been experimenting a bit with hatched toon shading.

As have I...

Hatch_island_test1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 511K
    edited December 1969

Interesting effects Horo and David. Are there any tutorials to show us how its done????

My attempt at David’s Lake in a landscape Tutorial:

http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/bryce-tutorials/lake.html

lake.jpg
    900 x 450 - 32K
    edited December 1969

Your sky is great, David. I particularly struggled with the soft edges of the clouds.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited June 2013

Toon shaders in Bryce eh , am a little dubious as to the possibilities of obtaining credible results, it might pay to have a look at the quality and comparison of some of the renderman shaders and their usage in 3Delight with Daz Studio, you chaps have a long way to go, best of luck :)

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
    edited December 1969

Toon shaders in Bryce eh , am a little dubious as to the possibilities of obtaining credible results, it might pay to have a look at the quality and comparison of some of the renderman shaders and their usage in 3Delight with Daz Studio, you chaps have a long way to go, best of luck :)

It is a challenge yes. Do you have any links to the things you are talking about because this forums search engine is not very helpful?

edited December 1969

Here is something that caught my eye some time ago while I was experimenting with Daz shaders David. Cel-shading in daz studio last year I wanted to understand a little more about how they worked so had to get a little involved with the renderman shaders at coding level, I am not a natural at it, that is for sure and certainly no expert, but found that it is another world and very time consuming. I worked on learning more, in Daz Studio with shader builder and mixer and learned a little to build shaders from scratch by looking at the original renderman code. I had some success with this escher renderman shader and a couple of other non realistic rendering shaders which I am yet to find on my hard drive, and from what I have discovered it is a full time job :) hence another good luck with it. Do you think Bryce is suited ? I do not know of any reasons why not, but I have doubts somehow.

edited June 2013

@TapiocaTundra - thank you for your tips concerning toon shading. Studio works differently and what we can gather from there is, unfortunately, mostly useless for Bryce. Toon shading is a flat colour, CEL shading does, as the name implies, enhance the contours, hatching is yet different as pencil sketches are. All can be done in Bryce to some extent. How good we'll have yet to find out. Here's an example Toon landscape I made 2 years ago.

Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

Here is something that caught my eye some time ago while I was experimenting with Daz shaders David. Cel-shading in daz studio last year I wanted to understand a little more about how they worked so had to get a little involved with the renderman shaders at coding level, I am not a natural at it, that is for sure and certainly no expert, but found that it is another world and very time consuming. I worked on learning more, in Daz Studio with shader builder and mixer and learned a little to build shaders from scratch by looking at the original renderman code. I had some success with this escher renderman shader and a couple of other non realistic rendering shaders which I am yet to find on my hard drive, and from what I have discovered it is a full time job :) hence another good luck with it. Do you think Bryce is suited ? I do not know of any reasons why not, but I have doubts somehow.

Well since there is no opportunity to code the Bryce camera or render engine for us, it will have to be done in an entirely different way, using lighting and materials and possibly even using renders within renders. But you never know what it is possible, or not possible, until you try. Thanks for the links.

edited December 1969

Interesting effects Horo and David. Are there any tutorials to show us how its done????

Not yet, but I've updated my blog to outline the present course of inquiry.

I think maybe you could do with a bit more light in your scene?

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Just a passing render as I was setting up a few V4s in Poser to import across to Bryce.
    No transparency set on her hair or eyelashes yet.

GirlTeddy.jpg
    975 x 975 - 536K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @TLBKlaus - left and right like masks with eyes and a small mouth.

@GussNemo - yes, that's a clever idea of David's. I haven't had the time to experiment with it. Your renders all look very nice. My scarce experience tells me that many settings that work for one type of object don't necessarily for other types.

I've also discovered that in my limited experience. Toon scene looks cool, even the one you linked to. They all look like drawings to me.

@mermaid: I think I tried that tutorial some time ago and didn't get as good results.

@David: An interesting image.

@Dave: That's an awesome image. The little dog is a nice touch.

edited June 2013

Just a passing render as I was setting up a few V4s in Poser to import across to Bryce.

Another great render from you Dave, I only wish that I were producing anything that looked as good... Instead I'm rendering spheres and cubes and messing around with a procedural function that does something very odd indeed, it produces a set of negative values. More on that when Horo and I have unraveled what's happening - other than very strange things. For a start, negative ambient? Negative reflection - yes - sort of, it's very odd indeed. Or how about negative bump? Not just zero bump but anti-bump, twisting the surface normals in impossible ways to create... well... at the moment, very ugly and broken looking renders. But I've got a feeling in my waters... this must be useful somehow?

As Horo observed/discovered effects like velvet seem to arise with anti-bump. This is just diffuse response and "anti-bump". Uncanny?

Edit. The really nice thing though... because it is so basic it renders in seconds.

Anti-bump_and_diffuse1.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 178K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Another great render from you Dave, I only wish that I were producing anything that looked as good... Instead I'm rendering spheres and cubes and messing around with a procedural function that does something very odd indeed, it produces a set of negative values. More on that when Horo and I have unraveled what's happening - other than very strange things. For a start, negative ambient? Negative reflection - yes - sort of, it's very odd indeed. Or how about negative bump? Not just zero bump but anti-bump, twisting the surface normals in impossible ways to create... well... at the moment, very ugly and broken looking renders. But I've got a feeling in my waters... this must be useful somehow?

As Horo observed/discovered effects like velvet seem to arise with anti-bump. This is just diffuse response and "anti-bump". Uncanny?

Edit. The really nice thing though... because it is so basic it renders in seconds.

Very promising. I'm wondering what this looks like with more than one point light source being utilized. Bump sometimes has a hard time knowing what to do when lit from more than one angle. I'm very excited by these preliminary results.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

Hey Rashad, you gonna come and play in the Bryce render challenge?

I sold my soul to the devil, put out gifts for Cerridwen and the Morrigan, risked a trip to Annywn and and got some DAZ sponsorship, so we got prizes and all.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited June 2013

I believe that toon or cel or hatch type, and outline shading is not going to be a strong point of Bryce at the moment, or even competitive with other software. It seems to me that it is done so much better elsewhere.
    I would certainly be interested in ways of achieving painterly non realistic images using Bryce, maybe imitating some of the impressionists like Monet for example. I have over the years seen the paint type filters in photoshop , boring, lets do it in Bryce, but convincing, and to be honest, not easily detected as a digital effect.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
    edited December 1969

... lets do it in Bryce, but convincing, and to be honest, not easily detected as a digital effect.

I think certain effects could be achieved by placing a distorting filter in front of the camera, but I'm also fairly sure they would look like digital effects.
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Hey Rashad, you gonna come and play in the Bryce render challenge?

I sold my soul to the devil, put out gifts for Cerridwen and the Morrigan, risked a trip to Annywn and and got some DAZ sponsorship, so we got prizes and all.

The challenge threads look like they are going well and I do want to do my part to help out. I have been strangely absent in the challenge threads, but that will change. I'll come up with something. Thanks for staying on top of me.

edited December 1969

Not yet, but I've updated my blog to outline the present course of inquiry.

I think maybe you could do with a bit more light in your scene?

Thanks David, I will give it another try.

Guss-Thanks for the comment, I worked on it for a few days before I could achieve something I liked. David's tutorials are great and quite easy to follow except for the rewinding and pausing bit. :)

edited June 2013

Very promising. I'm wondering what this looks like with more than one point light source being utilized. Bump sometimes has a hard time knowing what to do when lit from more than one angle. I'm very excited by these preliminary results.

True. Well as soon as I get a spare moment and I've make the process as streamlined as possible I'll make a short how-to video and you can give it a go yourself. Having an impossible, yet stable, texture component like this opens up a lot of avenues of research. It may not solve the hatching issue which I was trying to get to the bottom of, but I can see other potential uses for effects.

Edit: The topsy turvy world of bump. When will it be out? And when will it be in?

Anti-bump_and_diffuse2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 164K
    edited December 1969

Last week I was working at a place that wanted a photo of a wetroom. I searched all the stock photo sites for a decent picture and only found a handful of average ones, so it set me off thinking about rendering one.
    This is what I've come up with so far (too late for the job I was working on and not finished yet but I'm just exploring to see if I could have done it in Bryce).
    I built the set in Bryce and each tile is an individual block as opposed to using a grid texture. All the fittings/props are freebies re-textured using Bryce mats. Shower water is David's Rain material applied to one of Rashad's tapered cylinder additional primitives.
    Lit by two radial lights. Rendered at 64RPP in 5 hours.

Wetroom.jpg
    950 x 650 - 387K
    edited December 1969

Stunning work. Using thin cubes for tiles is by far the better method than a texture. I made that observation quite a while ago. It is actually not that laborious as one might think and the poly count doesn't increase much.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2013

Super image, but don't be surprised if it disappears, due to current nudity regs.

Scrap that Jeff pointed out that she has briefs on.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Super image, but don't be surprised if it disappears, due to current nudity regs.

Yes, I was aware of the nudity rules and told her she had to shower with her knickers on. :-) (smileys still not working)

I've tweaked a few things (oy! stop making your own dirty jokes up!) and re-rendered the scene without Vicky as the Illustration I was originally trying to achieve was a simple scene to show the wetroom off (not with the distraction of a semi naked woman).

Wetroom2.jpg
    950 x 650 - 403K
    edited June 2013

chohole said:

Yes, I was aware of the nudity rules and told her she had to shower with her knickers on. :-) (smileys still not working)

I've tweaked a few things (oy! stop making your own dirty jokes up!) and re-rendered the scene without Vicky as the Illustration I was originally trying to achieve was a simple scene to show the wetroom off (not with the distraction of a semi naked woman).

Lacks a focus now. How about adding a semi naked woman? Looks great! Meanwhile, experiments continue into ever stranger material properties. Here this one material under default sun. Garish yes, but somewhere in here I think is some useful transitions.

Extreme_settings1.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 220K
    edited December 1969

Lacks a focus now. How about adding a semi naked woman? Looks great!
    Great idea, why didn't I think of that? lol!
    Thanks David. :)

Meanwhile, experiments continue into ever stranger material properties. Here this one material under default sun. Garish yes, but somewhere in here I think is some useful transitions.

Andy Warhol loves this shading.
    I'd love to see how it animates, could make a great Pop Art type animation... super cool.
    edited December 1969

Also only one single material on the dragon and only sun as light.

05c_test.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 179K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Those are all very interesting images. The black dragon image is especially nice.

@Dave: Marvelous images.

@mermaid: I may give that tutorial another go when the real world calms down.

@Horo: Wow, nice. What material did you use?

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Wow, nice. What material did you use?

Thank you. Essentially the same as David used for his last two dragon renders.
This discussion has been closed.