Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: At this point in time I'm in the same boat of throwing switches and levers to see what results when using HDRIs. I know which one I like using for abstracts, but others are hit and miss. I've also watched many of those videos you referred to, and watch them, and watch them... You got nice results on David's recent tutorial.

@chiisuchianu: That's a very beautiful image.

@mx42b: Very nice image.

@Dave: Like your playing around image.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - very high power ambient recipe - by David Brinnen

As I explain in the description "A Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial aimed at advanced users. Essentially if you don't yet know what the limitations of the ambient channel are, you are probably not ready to watch this tutorial, it's as simple as that."

If you are using TA rendering, in any capacity, then this tutorial might prove useful.

Edit. And something else using these high power functions.

I don’t know much about the limitations of the ambient channel but here’s my attempt at this tutorial.

Somewhere through the video you mentioned that the ambient color is limited to primary colors. The second one is an experiment with a yellowish color RGB 255,250,205 for the ambient and here’s the result. The color of the cylinder is still white but the light at the bottom on the cylinder and the object is a bit yellowish.

Aye, I should have clarified, the output is limited to full value primary colours. So you can only have, full red, full green and full blue outputs. So that gives the following additional combinations. R+G = yellow. R + B = magenta and G + B = cyan and finally R + G + B which will provide white. Anyhow, that being said, I'm pleased to see you picking up on this topic since it is one which I wondered if anyone would try what with it being in a somewhat tricky topic.

• ravyncloverravynclover Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Just something I found interesting & had fun with.. Got the idea from a Vue user on facebook.. Make your terrain in photoshop & use the stained glass texture on it. I used the Bryce antique pot material on it. I knew the terrains could be done in PS but never thought about using the filters on them.

Stained.jpg
    1754 x 915 - 1M
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Just something I found interesting & had fun with.. Got the idea from a Vue user on facebook.. Make your terrain in photoshop & use the stained glass texture on it. I used the Bryce antique pot material on it. I knew the terrains could be done in PS but never thought about using the filters on them.

That terrain looks pretty cool. The small blocks feel a bit too ordered to me, but the larger blocks look fantastic.
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,540
    edited December 1969

@mx42b - very nice render.

@TheSavage64 - great mountain and clouds.

@ravynclover - interesting shape for an island.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @mermaid: At this point in time I'm in the same boat of throwing switches and levers to see what results when using HDRIs. I know which one I like using for abstracts, but others are hit and miss. I've also watched many of those videos you referred to, and watch them, and watch them... You got nice results on David's recent tutorial.

Thanks. I think we are in the same boat, there is so much to learn but its so much fun too.

@mx42b - lovely render.

@TheSavage64 - cool image, I hope I can get something cool just playing with mountains and clouds

@ravynclover -not sure about the island. maybe a different material, but its interesting how you used ps and a filter.

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    That looks very promising.

I think this process shows potential. It is not entirely as straight forwards as I would like, I don't know what is involved in terms of setup as far as other shaders are concerned, but this requires a bit of consideration before going ahead.

Here is another example, probably best viewed full size.

Incredible, clever, can't wait for the tutorial!

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the responses about me playing with mountains and clouds.

After a bit more playing (especially with the volumetric clouds), this is looking better.

WhispClouds.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 374K
    edited December 1969

@ravynclover: Had to look at the full version before seeing just how nice that island turned out. The material used for the rocks is spot on, IMHO, and your choice of water fits well.

@Dave: Really nice results. I get the impression of looking up towards a summit.

• ravyncloverravynclover Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks Much for the comments.. :-) I didn't really care for the tiny rocks either. What i really liked was the flat tops on the bigger ones. I want to give it another try when I get time & also see if I can draw a similar one in PS.
    TheSavage64.. I like the way the sky is looking.

edited June 2013

Took the time to try David's high power ambient tutorial and the result is below. Also took the time to try different color setting in global ambient just to see the results. While the cylinder doesn't display any color but, as David said, primary colors, any color setting will be displayed in the surrounding area. A few of those are below as well. I can see something like this used in a space scene where intense lighting might be needed but out of camera view.

Overdriven_Ambient_w_DTE_Green_Globe_Ambient.png
    700 x 700 - 415K
    Overdriven_Ambient_w_DTE_Purple_Globe_Ambient.png
    700 x 700 - 482K
    Overdriven_Ambient_w_DTE_Red_Globe_Ambient.png
    700 x 700 - 447K
    Overdriven_Ambient_w_DTE_Blueish_Globe_Ambient.png
    700 x 700 - 433K
    Overdriven_Ambient_w_DTE.png
    700 x 700 - 345K
    Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - landscape looks great and the clouds are just awesome.

@GussNemo - experiments turned out very nicely.

I'm a quite wrapped up with another project, not Bryce but for Bryce, and am a bit behind catching up with the exciting things.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited June 2013

New member here. Spoke with David Brinnen on DeviantArt the other day and he encouraged me to participate on these forums. Been away from graphics for a couple of years, but am happy to be back! Be gentle with the comments....my first render in Bryce 7.

Good to be here.

Art

BridgedTorus64.jpg
    800 x 800 - 309K
    Post edited by Fencepost52 on
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - very high power ambient recipe - by David Brinnen

As I explain in the description "A Bryce 7.1 Pro tutorial aimed at advanced users. Essentially if you don't yet know what the limitations of the ambient channel are, you are probably not ready to watch this tutorial, it's as simple as that."

If you are using TA rendering, in any capacity, then this tutorial might prove useful.

Edit. And something else using these high power functions.

Whoah! I watched your tutorial today and I must say that it's quite impressive. You seem to have found an unclamped procedural texture (ranging from 1.0 to - value rather than other with range 0.0 to 1.0) remapped it with non clamping operator to -1 to +value, where value depends on the texture scale and position. Also you've proved that some of value inputs (taking grayscale, so called alpha textures) are taking unclamped inputs.

I've rendered several more things with this method and found some new conclusions:
    - On render '20' you can see that when you lower the frequency of the 'noise' to values 3-50 you can skip the multiply part.
    - Object that seems white is really blue (can bee seen on reflections) however if you export it to *.hdr in current state you won't see a blue cylinder but it will be white (that's because the *.hdr export is also clamped) - the sollution is to darken the scene so that the brightest object won't be white or at the last stage put the black filter in front of the camera and then render (render '20b' + edit '20c')
    - The cylinders have cool patterns and that's because I've set the low frequency and used object space mode.
    - Adding new node (multiply) in DTE is unnecessary - it's imho better to set the 'distance squared' frequency '(20e') or set alpha scaling on and play with the ambient slider '(20e').
    - On render '21' I've booleaned a part of the cylinder and moved a starting point of the texture on the blue cylinder to see the previously mentioned thing further + used glass material with the negative ambient.
    - And a little feature request - '22' - I wish I was able just to write a minus behind the texture channel part and input high valuse like 999

22_feature_request.png
    340 x 366 - 204K
    20e_mat_setup2.png
    637 x 507 - 211K
    21_distance_squared_unclamped.png
    500 x 500 - 426K
    20_distance_squared_unclamped.png
    500 x 500 - 406K
    20b_filter.png
    500 x 500 - 353K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Still playing around with the same cloud slab... A few more tweaks and a different mood, so a different subject matter.

2Fords.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 292K
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you. It was fun to do.

@Art: For a first render with Bryce 7, whoa, real nice.

@dwsel: Really like the results. I've copied what you posted, and if I can decipher how to set it up I want to give it a try.

@Dave: Another, wow, nice work. Not only do the clouds look real nice but the pickups aren't anything to sneeze at. Nice job.

edited December 1969

@fencepost52 - welcome to this forum. Nice torus knot, well done.

@dwsel_ - interesting experiments.

@TheSavage64 - that cloud pattern is really useful.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited June 2013

@GussNemo - your experiments turned out very nice.

@fencepost52 - Nice torus knot for a 1st render.

@dwsel_ - wow interesting experiments, I wish I understood what you mentioned so I could try it out. It’s so cool when one can take David’s or anyone’s tutorial one take it step further or in your case a few steps forward. Thanks for sharing the screenshots. Hope I can still attempt something.

@TheSavage64 – your cloud experiments are lovely –love the cars too.

There’s my attempt at Bryce Made Easy - Velvet bump recipe - by David Brinnen with some help from David. Thanks

And the second is Bryce 7.1 Pro Advanced - high energy gel light and hue shift trick - by David Brinnen

highenergygel.jpg
    600 x 600 - 30K
    withturtle-velvet.jpg
    1067 x 800 - 29K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Cool tut., and technique, David - top image obvious, bottom has object within a bright dome.

Jay

car1.jpg
    539 x 976 - 212K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - nice dfemonostration. The turtle looks like satin.

@Jamahoney - nice renders.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 485
    edited December 1969

Been awhile since I really played in Bryce but I did a very Quick poster for my Girlfriend about carpooling to work and winning some money...Took me all of 15 minutes...So sad I remember taking 3 weeks or more to do a Picture....I need to get back to 3D more...

DonnaPoster.jpg
    900 x 1170 - 212K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid: Thanks. Your two images turned out well. I especially like your results in the second one, guess it's the object.

@Jay: Is the same car used in both images? Interesting results if that's the case.

@foley: That's a nice poster. Car looks great.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Yep, Guss..same car...couldn't use the Ferrari as my very posh girfriend had been using it....berruuum, berrruuumm ;)

Jay

edited December 1969

@Jay: hahaha... I think it very interesting how light can change the color of an object, in this case a car. It appears black in your first image then white in the second. Almost leaves one wondering if it has a chameleon circuit built into it.

edited December 1969

Good to see you here, Brian. Nice poster you've made. Glad to hear it gave you some money. I have a question on my mind - for a while, actually, but i don't ask it since you know what's on my mind.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Welcome back Foleypro! Nice car. Hope you are able to spend more time working on 3D stuff again. (hint hint) :-) 3 weeks to 15 minutes, that's a nice render time change! Render times measured in weeks are a pain in the butt. Just did one recently, took almost a week to render to disk because I was testing a giant render size. Then I saved the scene, out of habit including saving the image... which of course was the non-render-to-disk size, on top of the week-long render I had just completed. Whee! at least the power company is happy.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 485
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Good to see you here, Brian. Nice poster you've made. Glad to hear it gave you some money. I have a question on my mind - for a while, actually, but i don't ask it since you know what's on my mind.

Actually this was a freebie I dont work at my GF's work...She likes what I do in 3d and asked me to do a quikie...I did...so I dint make a dime...But yes I understand what ya all are saying...Soon and I mean soon..It takes a long time...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Again, I am not certain about this one. Only postwork on this one is a couple of tiny fixes on the waterfall.

a_new_waterfall.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 912K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Some interesting stuff going on here again.
    I seem to be missing a lot lately, been a bit busy.
    Just thought I'd show my 3 latest offerings.

Got the car models from 3dbar.net. Just smoothed them, changed the colours, added the number plates which I made in Photoshop and rendered them with an HDRI as a backdrop and lighting. The floor on the BMW image is a photo of the inside of my sheds concrete floor mapped on to a terrain object. The Rolls Royce took only 50 mins to render, the BMW took 15 hours. I made the platform and the wheels underneath the Rolls with Bryce primitives. No postwork.

The Gyroscope is all Bryce, no postwork. Pull cord is made from Metaballs.
    Render time was 1.5 hours. HDRI lighting plus 1 radial light.

Gyroscope.jpg
    1024 x 800 - 118K
    BMW_7_Series.jpg
    1100 x 573 - 101K
    Rolls_Royce_Phantom_Coupe.jpg
    1016 x 519 - 356K
  • Dino GrampsDino Gramps Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Again, I am not certain about this one. Only postwork on this one is a couple of tiny fixes on the waterfall.

Great render! I always enjoy your work. I will leave it for others to find the faults, if indeed there are any.

This discussion has been closed.