Comments

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

One more from me...........I call this Mixture2

Looking good.
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Sean - that's where exporting as terrain may have an advantage.

What do you mean by "exporting as terrain" as it pertains to a tree? Is there an export option somewhere I'm overlooking?
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

The tree in the image I posted was not exported from Bryce at 100% resolution for the trunk,

I am doing more experiments with exporting Bryce objects, I'm probably going to have to abandon my attempts to get Bryce to convert its texture to image maps as that seems to be hit or miss.

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Rareth; nice scene!!

Horo; I like your effects

Dave; That is turning into a cool picture!!

One more from me...........I call this Mixture2

This is gorgeous.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @M1chaelFrank - thank you for sharing your insights. So Nature is your teacher, difficult to find a more competent one. Essentially what you're saying is that if I cannot come up with a pleasing result within 10 minutes, I may have been a bit hasty.

@Rareth - nice examples. Ah yes, trees can be great fun and be used for more than just one tree.

@bullit35744 - great results. It reminds me of vegetables.

@JStryder - thank you.

Maybe a bit hasty, lol... give it another ten minutes, and it may offer up its secrets! And Nature is indeed a good guide...

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Dave - interesting, whatever will come out of it.

I unearthed a render I did 8 years ago and changed a few settings. There are two spheres, a torus and 100 metaballs.

This image looks like it could be the cover of a book on quantum physics... and I'd certainly pick it up! It's beautiful.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

@Sean Riesch - David made a video how to export a tree as a terrain, that's the one Rareth refered to on the previous page.

Rareth said:
    I did David's Tree export as terrain mesh tutorial and it worked out very well.

The name of David's video is Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Export a tree as a terrain mesh - by David Brinnen..
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Horo; Thank you I don't know about quick learner but when I am interested in something I have to try to figure it out.

Michael: Thank you so much I would probably never played with the metaballs if it wasn't for you....your kind words helped encourage and motivate me!!! I am really having a lot of fun with all the experiments!!

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    The tree in the image I posted was not exported from Bryce at 100% resolution for the trunk,

I am doing more experiments with exporting Bryce objects, I'm probably going to have to abandon my attempts to get Bryce to convert its texture to image maps as that seems to be hit or miss.

As I mentioned in another thread, all metaball based objects need to be enlarged physically go get a good fidelity of mesh.

As an experiment, create a tree. The tree will be born at the default size. Export the tree then re-import and you will see the tips of the branches are not there at all. Now, lets go back to the original tree, but this time enlarge it to several hundred Bryce untis tall. Export the tree again and you will see much more of the tips of the branches. You will notice that the trunk and branches are generally smoother as more polygons are being used. If you still haven't gotten the look you need then try enlarging the original tree to a thousand Bryce units or more in size, then try exporting again. Now you will see the tree branches are quite well expressed, but the resulting mesh is quite polygon intensive.

It is completely counter-intuitive the way metaball exporting works in Bryce right now. Hopefully this workflow will be improved in the next update.

• RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:

As I mentioned in another thread, all metaball based objects need to be enlarged physically go get a good fidelity of mesh.

As an experiment, create a tree. The tree will be born at the default size. Export the tree then re-import and you will see the tips of the branches are not there at all. Now, lets go back to the original tree, but this time enlarge it to several hundred Bryce untis tall. Export the tree again and you will see much more of the tips of the branches. You will notice that the trunk and branches are generally smoother as more polygons are being used. If you still haven't gotten the look you need then try enlarging the original tree to a thousand Bryce units or more in size, then try exporting again. Now you will see the tree branches are quite well expressed, but the resulting mesh is quite polygon intensive.

It is completely counter-intuitive the way metaball exporting works in Bryce right now. Hopefully this workflow will be improved in the next update.

messing with trunk thickness also helps resolve the mesh problems but you get really ODD looking branches. I could not see the way to convert the Trunk and Branches into a mesh for tree lab objects.

edited December 1969

Continuing on playing with multi-replicating shapes.

The red is spheres and the silver is metaballs.

beads.jpg
    880 x 1299 - 610K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2013

That's a very nice ....ummm .....err that's a very nice whatever it is. :)

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited July 2013

chohole said:

That's a very nice ....ummm .....err that's a very nice whatever it is. :)

It's an all in one Galafrayan weasel cheese grater and salad tosser. :+)

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited December 1969

It's an all in one Galafrayan weasel cheese grater and salad tosser. :+)

That makes perfectly sense. Very nice.
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Wow Trish and Dave, awesome, very impressive work, very inspiring too.

There must be a trick to using metaballs, most of my attempts are either blobs or globs, lol

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yes I must admit I keep looking at what they are doing and thinking I must have another go, then I go back to wat I am doing instead.

Cho is a coward.............................or too old to get out of my comfort zone, one or the other.

edited December 1969

That's pretty dang cool.

edited December 1969

Horo; Thank you I don't know about quick learner but when I am interested in something I have to try to figure it out.

Michael: Thank you so much I would probably never played with the metaballs if it wasn't for you....your kind words helped encourage and motivate me!!! I am really having a lot of fun with all the experiments!!

I'm happy to help! Thanks for the nice words.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

"It’s an all in one Galafrayan weasel cheese grater and salad tosser. :+)"...
    I was just about to say that...heheee.

I recall reading once a book on this whole ‘Fuzzy Logic’ area some years’ back (very interesting, and mainly concerning fractals etc.,), where you get a "’harmony out of chaos’.

It got quite complex at times, but given the Bryce examples, so far, by Michael, Savage, Horo, Bullit, Rareth, Mermaid and others,, the multi-replicate thingy in Bryce is certainly one to have fun with.

Jay

edited December 1969

A little blast from the past.... a bit of early fun with metaballs.

ORN2z.jpg
    1800 x 1175 - 411K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Yes I must admit I keep looking at what they are doing and thinking I must have another go, then I go back to wat I am doing instead.

Cho is a coward.............................or too old to get out of my comfort zone, one or the other.

You're never too old for metaballs!

edited July 2013

Dave; I bet you can't say that 3 times in a row really fast...........LOL I like it but can't spell it!!

Chohole; come on give it a go..........its fun!!

Jay; Its coming around to your turn.............

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Still experimenting... getting some better result now. Still got a long way to go but it's fun.

MetaGreenery.jpg
    650 x 650 - 222K
    edited December 1969

@Michael - you were already good in the past, like it.

@Dave - hey, you're making incredible progress.

edited July 2013

Dave; really cool!! how did you get the very tip to curl like that???? This one I guess you could say broke apart, I wonder why....I have got to start writing these down have been so into this I have just been saving them as obps......

Mixture4.jpg
    1026 x 864 - 412K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited July 2013

I am getting these almost all the time now (big holes) What is going on anyone know????.............Help

help.jpg
    1108 x 729 - 509K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Micheal Frank - See what you've gone and started now? [insert smile here because even though DAZ makes a 3D emoticon guy character, they can't get the emoticons on their website to work!!!]

Same plants, this time put in better context.
    I think it needs some mushrooms adding but I've got to go do a gig tonight, so I'll try find time tomorrow to see what I can do on the mushroom front.

MetaGreenery2.jpg
    650 x 650 - 282K
    edited December 1969

Dave; really cool!! how did you get the very tip to curl like that????

I keep switching on the 'Scale Translation' option in the Multi-Replicate dialogue box.
    I find that when you do that, you have to give a bigger Y offset, the rotation then takes it's time but when it starts to have an effect, it happens quickly.

Hope this helps.

More great examples there too Trish :+)

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Michael - you were already good in the past, like it.

@Dave - hey, you're making incredible progress.

Thanks, Horo! I appreciate it.

edited December 1969

Micheal Frank - See what you've gone and started now? [insert smile here because even though DAZ makes a 3D emoticon guy character, they can't get the emoticons on their website to work!!!]

Same plants, this time put in better context.
    I think it needs some mushrooms adding but I've got to go do a gig tonight, so I'll try find time tomorrow to see what I can do on the mushroom front.

(Rubs hands together and laughs) Excellent! My plan is going well! I'm really loving what you have here... keep them coming.

This discussion has been closed.