Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I am getting these almost all the time now (big holes) What is going on anyone know????.............Help

Yes: you need to change the settings for your materials. Ungroup the metaballs, select "spherical" instead of "parametric" and then regroup them if you like.

edited December 1969

Dave; really cool!! how did you get the very tip to curl like that???? This one I guess you could say broke apart, I wonder why....I have got to start writing these down have been so into this I have just been saving them as obps......

It looks like a beautiful flower arrangement in a vase...

edited December 1969

Twisting and turning...

EXz.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 402K
    edited December 1969

A few more experiments.

EX2z.jpg
    2000 x 1600 - 421K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

@TheSavage64 - seems we had partly the same idea. I was just experimenting with such a setup, but used trees as bushes (also meta balls, I add to my defense).

@M1chaelFrank - it's really amazing what can be done in Bryce. The lower left one reminds me of amonites and the top left one as some sort of seashell. All four shapes are beautiful by themselves.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2013

Dave; Thankyou I will try playing with that....you can make a pretty cool mushroom in sculptris ( what am I saying you can probably do it in Bryce...LOL) your last picture is really super!!

Michael; Thank you, I thought I wrapped it too many times....LOL I sure am glad it can be fixed!! Yes your plan is working....Ha Ha and it sure is fun!! Your examples are beautiful they remind me of shells from the beach, now that I don't go to the beach (playing with Bryce) Edit; P.S. the mapping mode has no effect on the ships metal or some of the other car metals.......Is there another way??? Thanks in advance ...Trish

Post edited by Trish on
  • Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 870
    edited July 2013

@M1chaelFrank: Really great examples of this stunning function "Multi-replicate". Bryce is full of little beasts, that we have to tame first. Multi-Replicate has so much potential.

@TheSavage64 + @bullit35744: Great progress.

For myself I am still working with profane terrains. Lately I try to use terrains for faking city or buildings structures. Here are three attempts. In the first one the starbase is built with a terrain, in the second picture I used a terrain for the ruins, too and in the last the decayed castle is a terrain.

burgruine.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
    spaceoddity4.jpg
    1440 x 810 - 113K
    ruinenstadt_in_der_wueste.jpg
    1024 x 591 - 150K
    Post edited by Electro-Elvis on
    edited December 1969

Electro-elvis; you sure made it hard for me to say which one that I like the best....I like them all but if I had to pick one..............it would be the middle I like the vantage point from up there!!

edited July 2013

Michael here it is with no added colors.......Is it me????

4.jpg
    562 x 567 - 60K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@electro-elvis - great examples. The TE is much underrated, it can be used for so many things. The desert ruins and particularly the castle are excellent examples.

@Trish - do we have a normals problem? I'd like to recommend [C]ollapsing the structure and see whether it goes away. But after I attempted to [C]ollaps 10 grouped metaballs to a mesh yesterday and had to kill Bryce after 20 minutes (though it worked, but I lost patience), it may not be a good advice.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Awesome work by Trish, Dave and Michael. I’m still having fun with replicating without much success with metaballs. I’m still getting blobs and globs. Michael your work is magnificent.

Electro-elvis – I like your experiments with the terrain.

Did someone say mushroom?? Except for the mushroom, all these replicates were done using tori, spheres and cylinders and then converted them to metaballs.

The background is an abstract I did in Bryce and then saved it as a jpg and brought it in on a 2D

metaballs-2d-3.jpg
    650 x 650 - 53K
    edited July 2013

Horo; What do you mean by a normals problem? Have you had this happen before? have I broken Bryce metaballs somehow?

Mermaid; Your picture looks good does not look like blobs to me...I knew you could convert to a mesh I didn't know you could convert to a meataball.....

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @TheSavage64 - seems we had partly the same idea. I was just experimenting with such a setup, but used trees as bushes (also meta balls, I add to my defense).

@M1chaelFrank - it's really amazing what can be done in Bryce. The lower left one reminds me of amonites and the top left one as some sort of seashell. All four shapes are beautiful by themselves.

Thanks Horo! These really took a bit of experimenting to get them right.

edited December 1969

@M1chaelFrank: Really great examples of this stunning function "Multi-replicate". Bryce is full of little beasts, that we have to tame first. Multi-Replicate has so much potential.

@TheSavage64 + @bullit35744: Great progress.

For myself I am still working with profane terrains. Lately I try to use terrains for faking city or buildings structures. Here are three attempts. In the first one the starbase is built with a terrain, in the second picture I used a terrain for the ruins, too and in the last the decayed castle is a terrain.

These are amazing images... very nicely done.

edited December 1969

Awesome work by Trish, Dave and Michael. I’m still having fun with replicating without much success with metaballs. I’m still getting blobs and globs. Michael your work is magnificent.

Electro-elvis – I like your experiments with the terrain.

Did someone say mushroom?? Except for the mushroom, all these replicates were done using tori, spheres and cylinders and then converted them to metaballs.

The background is an abstract I did in Bryce and then saved it as a jpg and brought it in on a 2D

There are great experiments you have here. It may be slow going, but take your time with it. Try replicating just a few objects at a time, and look closely at the results. Go backward and make one little alteration at a time, and see what it does. Don't change all nine fields at once... just change one field at a time, and you'll start to see more precisely what happens.

edited December 1969

Horo; What do you mean by a normals problem? Have you had this happen before? have I broken Bryce metaballs somehow?

Maybe I'm wrong. Rashad is the guru here. But I don't remember having seen this with metaballs.
    edited July 2013

Horo said:

Maybe I'm wrong. Rashad is the guru here. But I don't remember having seen this with metaballs.

Metaballs react differently in rendering, depending on the way materials are used. If you have large numbers of groups there will sometimes be areas that are jaggy and black upon rendering. I circumvent this by ungrouping all objects and regrouping as one group. I also make sure my texture mapping is not on parametric, but rather on spherical instead. There may be more to it (or there's a better way of explaining it) but this usually works for me.

Post edited by M1chaelFrank on
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited July 2013

Horo said:
    @poetman75 - you're making progreass.

....so since I am above the ground plane how do I get shadows in??......thanks in advance Trish

Not clear, what you mean. The camera above the ground plane most of the time. You get shadows if there is some prominent light, provided Sun/Moon Shadow intensity in the Sky Lab is at 100.

@Rareth - nicely done.

@mermaid010 - nice flowers.

@David Brinnen - interesting look.

Here's an interesting oddity, which I haven't had the time to fully investigate. The plane is a mirror. The objects at right are corrently mirrored, the Utah Teapot is offset by 90° in the mirror, which is really odd.

Look again; the teapot is the correct orientation but the reflection is rendered as if the object had a kind of transparency, so it looks off. It isn't the angle though, it's that odd layered transparent effect. In the reflection it's as if the teapot is transparent and when looking through multiple layers the colours change. Very strange indeed.

Post edited by Fire Angel on
  • Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 255
    edited December 1969

Here's an updated version of an old render; I left the old date on it. Some postwork to make the rays and flares for the lights. Yes I know Bryce can do it, but the render times are silly and it takes two minutes in post so I consider it a better use of my time to do it in post.

Rockin-Reby-Stage-5.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 294K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

(Rubs hands together and laughs) Excellent! My plan is going well! I'm really loving what you have here... keep them coming.

Thanks, it makes a pleasant change from my usual fare of packaging design.

Today I got up with mushrooms on my mind and somehow ended up creating something that looks nothing like a mushroom. But I like it anyway because it's not as symmetrical or ordered looking as some of the multi-replicate thingies.

I've also noticed how when I'm walking down the road, I'm noticing the shapes of plants in people's gardens and thinking "mmmmm... how could I make that Bryce?"

Anyway, this one at this size, at only 36RPP took over three hours to render, I think if I add it to my Greenery Scene, the Mac will take it's bat home... but I may try it later.

Stalky.jpg
    450 x 650 - 195K
    edited December 1969

(Rubs hands together and laughs) Excellent! My plan is going well! I'm really loving what you have here... keep them coming.

Thanks, it makes a pleasant change from my usual fare of packaging design.

Today I got up with mushrooms on my mind and somehow ended up creating something that looks nothing like a mushroom. But I like it anyway because it's not as symmetrical or ordered looking as some of the multi-replicate thingies.

I've also noticed how when I'm walking down the road, I'm noticing the shapes of plants in people's gardens and thinking "mmmmm... how could I make that Bryce?"

Anyway, this one at this size, at only 36RPP took over three hours to render, I think if I add it to my Greenery Scene, the Mac will take it's bat home... but I may try it later.

Wow, this is great. I like the relative lack of symmetry. These are coming along beautifully. Nice coloring too. I also look a lot around me and think how Bryce can make things. I think I dream it a bit too.

edited December 1969

A few more metaball and replication things.

URIITza.jpg
    900 x 900 - 320K
    UOIRz.jpg
    2000 x 1184 - 440K
    YUEG3az.jpg
    1500 x 1179 - 410K
    KVVXRbz.jpg
    700 x 906 - 431K
    edited December 1969

More superb examples there Micheal... I love looking at your work to see the amount of detail you put in.
    I've got a long way to go yet... however: I now have mushrooms [insert rather obvious joke about being a fun guy here]

Shrooms.jpg
    450 x 650 - 192K
    edited December 1969

Dave; the green plant is beautiful and the mushrooms are super.......its cool that you are looking at plants!!

Michael; Awesome examples!!! I am going to work on un-grouping and re-grouping things that have the black in them...Thanks

edited December 1969

More superb examples there Micheal... I love looking at your work to see the amount of detail you put in.
    I've got a long way to go yet... however: I now have mushrooms [insert rather obvious joke about being a fun guy here]

Not only do I love your mushrooms, but so too do love the texturing, color and material. Beautiful.

edited December 1969

Dave; the green plant is beautiful and the mushrooms are super.......its cool that you are looking at plants!!

Michael; Awesome examples!!! I am going to work on un-grouping and re-grouping things that have the black in them...Thanks

Thanks very much! And I hope that suggestion is a good solution for you!

edited December 1969

Not only do I love your mushrooms, but so too do love the texturing, color and material. Beautiful.

Thanks, I'm flattered. :+)

I'm also re-texturing them at the moment because I thought they looked a bit too much like shells.
    I've saved the originals too but I think the amended texture will be more mushroomy.
    It's telling me it'll take over 2 hours to complete the render so I'm going to try and grab some sleep and I'll post the result in the morning.

edited December 1969

Michael; ok I am back in the metaball business.....now that my brain is working again...gosh that's a lot of un-grouping....LOL!!

edited December 1969

Thanks, glad you like them. :+)

Yes, I don't have a garden myself because I couldn't do with all the work they take to keep them looking good, but I have always enjoyed photographing nature... The main change is that I now think in metaballs... But then as a packaging designer, when I go to the store I see people reading the packaging to see the price and ingredients, while I look at what type face has been used and examining the cardboard or plastic engineering... I guess I just find it difficult to ever switch off. :+)

edited December 1969

Dave; I take a lot of photos also its a way for me to capture something I want to always remember......

This one just wanted to be by itself.....I call it Starburst

flower.jpg
    1159 x 729 - 314K
This discussion has been closed.