Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 4

Comments

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thanks.

@M1chael: Gorgeous image, which IMHO, doesn't need any post work. Clever way of displaying the diatoms.

@TLBKlaus: Marvelous images. The glass affects really set both off nicely.

@Dave: Excellent job. And I agree with Trish about the Lady Bugs.

Thanks very much, Guss!

edited December 1969

Michael; I like your Bacillariophyceae in the image

Thank you dave!!

Thanks very much!

edited December 1969

Another version of "The Peony Devas," this time rendered at "nighttime." Admittedly, there's a bit of postwork here; this type of image would have been impossible otherwise. Several hundred objects of grouped metaballs, whose total polygon count would have numbered in multiple hundreds of trillions. If I had to guess, I'd say the compounded render time was several hundred hours. Many of the objects were built and stored in my library over the course of many months.

For those of you who are aware of the finite memory of the library, you may try importing objects from pictures you've saved (elsewhere on your drives), instead of saving the objects in the library. This is easy, as long as you keep your images organized and can access what you need without losing track of what you've done. I suppose that's how DAZ studio works, right? You just import things from your resources? In my case, I have a few thousand models now, made in Bryce. (And about 3T of external storage.)

YUEG78.1z_.jpg
    1545 x 2000 - 477K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

One of these days I am going to get the right numbers up on the lottery, and then I can afford to buy a large copy of one of your dreations.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    One of these days I am going to get the right numbers up on the lottery, and then I can afford to buy a large copy of one of your dreations.

I'd be honored. (And Btw, they're cheaper than you think...especially for friends.)

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited July 2013

Beautiful Michael!!!

This one is a new metaball experiment with gemstones and radials inside some of them.....I call it Exp1 with lights...going to try some of these for a minute or two ...Bryce is not a happy camper at the moment..I don't know if its the glass or the radials but the render times are crazy...I don't know how you can stand to wait 50hrs. or more it drives me bonkers...I can only play so much solitaire....I keep wanting to peek and then always want to change something....at that rate I would never get anything finished.

exp1_with_lights.jpg
    1005 x 864 - 226K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Beautiful Michael!!!

This one is a new metaball experiment with gemstones and radials inside some of them.....I call it Exp1 with lights...going to try some of these for a minute or two ...Bryce is not a happy camper at the moment..I don't know if its the glass or the radials but the render times are crazy...I don't know how you can stand to wait 50hrs. or more it drives me bonkers...I can only play so much solitaire....I keep wanting to peek and then always want to change something....at that rate I would never get anything finished.

I like it! Very cool experiment. The number of radial lights is what's really dragging you down on this one. It's a great idea, but your render times for something like this is going to be crazy. You might consider a shiny or slightly transparent material and add a couple light sources externally, a few inches away from the object. Sometimes a cast shadow can do really interesting things on your rendered object. It's another fun experiment to try.

edited July 2013

Thank you Michael.....This one gets a name.. purple flower... a radial in each metaball that is round....This is not a multi-rep. I put it together myself...I also added green radials around the outside edges

purple_flower2.jpg
    1074 x 859 - 266K
    Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Thank you Michael.....This one gets a name.. purple flower... a radial in each metaball that is round....This is not a multi-rep. I put it together myself...I also added green radials around the outside edges

Wow, it's beautiful! Very well done.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Trish: That first image is really neat, though I don't think I'd use the carpenter who built it. The second one, quite frankly, makes me want to step on it until it stops moving. :-) Beautifully done. Now the third one, whoa, b e a u t i f u l! And thanks for the compliment.

@M1chael: Every time I see one of your images I am awestruck, spellbound. They are absolutely gorgeous, and that one is no exception.

I'd been in a funk for a few weeks so I hadn't been Brycing, Minecraft was filling in during that time. After seeing all the meatball images I decided to search the web for tutorials so I could give them a try. Much to my dismay, no tutorials could be found, but I'd still like to give the meatball idea a try. Anyway, as usually happens I got distracted in my search and found three tutorials that caught my fancy.

The first image is an enlarge sphere that fills the ground plane from edge to edge, with a mirror material applied. A torus in placed inside the sphere and enlarged so it fits from one side to the other. The first image had a green combo material applied and two radial lights used for lighting. The second is similar to the first in setup but with a different material on the torus and one more radial light.

The little sphere in the third image is one I THINK I tried some time ago but ended up looking more like a stepped on ball of Playdough. This time I knew more about what the tutorial was talking about and it ended up looking just like the tutorial. The second one of this little sphere I like best because of the material used on the outer sphere.

The last image was a multi-replicate tutorial using a torus as the object. It's replicated 50 times, rotated and size changed each creation. This one, in particular, and as usual, didn't turn out as shown in the tutorial. But when I started looking at it, and after giving the ground plane 100% reflection, it seems to be what you see.

Fly_n_Sky_1.png
    757 x 757 - 416K
    Glass_Ball_n_Sphere_4.png
    757 x 757 - 1M
    Glass_Ball_n_Sphere_1.png
    757 x 757 - 975K
    Glass_Torus_n_Mirrored_Sphere_12.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    Glass_Torus_n_Mirrored_Sphere_1.png
    1080 x 810 - 841K
    edited July 2013

Guss; Wow!! the all blue swirl is my very favorite...although I like the first one also!! Great job!! What is minecraft??

This is the last of these for awhile you are probably thinking .....whats she going to do next Elvis on black velvet.....LOL!!! this is another I made myself...The last 2 remind me of a creative thing I had as a kid called...lite brite...google it if you don't know what it is....

3red_flowers.jpg
    1503 x 816 - 284K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,539
    edited December 1969

@Michael - fantastic. You know, just looking on the small picture here on the forum it looks already awesome. But in full size it's maddening. I'm absolutely fascinated by the "minor matter" on the lower edge, the grassy bit. The details are just astonishing, all those fine things and the light is gorgeous. This part, before the "real thing" actually starts, could be presented as a full piece of art in itself. It somehow gets lost in all the grandeur of the main thing.

@Trish - there is a hasty spirit about rendering, if it's not finished within a couple of minutes, it's too long. There are hours of labour with all the patience needed to set up a scene but not for the final render. I'm happy if a render finishes withing 18 to 24 hours and if it is going to take more than a week, I start looking for shortcuts.

The red and green metaball thingie looks very nice. The lights inside the balls are a bit of lost labour. Having the balls with rather high specularity and specular halo (and metallicity for the colour), this effect could also have been accomplished much cheaper. If you put lights into objects, it would be good to have a screen outside which could receive the light emanating from the spheres. And yes, light sources that cast shadows increase the render time, transparent things doubly so.

The green one is beautiful, so is the last green/red one. Very nice work.

@Guss - Mindcraft, the "time-killer". That's why I never started with it. Too much fun for me to let go of it within a reasonable amount of time.

The first two renders exhibit a very nice tunnel effect. I like the balls, look a bit like having been made in Wings3D. I can't help it, I see the head of a funny chap with huge eyes, probably grinning though the mouth is invisible. The last one is an interesting object. Like an automatic flying machine.

edited July 2013

Thanks Horo; These are gemstones not metal and in total darkness. I tried to light the scene with 10 radials around the metaballs but it was not enough light.... I wanted it dark to see if I could do it. I was also able to cut the render time down to 30min. Just another one of my happy experiments

emerald_mat_10_radials.jpg
    760 x 634 - 108K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Magnificent work by everyone, Michael, Trish, Horo, Tlbklaus, poetman, Guss and anyone I missed.

Dave- the mushrooms look awesome.

I needed to take a break from multi-replicating metaballs. Replicating metaballs is different from replicating spheres for instance, and I’m still trying to work it out..

Michael, I’m amazed and astonished by your beautiful work.

Here’s another abstract – 2 spheres and 2 tori.

abstract20.jpg
    600 x 700 - 156K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Trish: That first image is really neat, though I don't think I'd use the carpenter who built it. The second one, quite frankly, makes me want to step on it until it stops moving. :-) Beautifully done. Now the third one, whoa, b e a u t i f u l! And thanks for the compliment.

@M1chael: Every time I see one of your images I am awestruck, spellbound. They are absolutely gorgeous, and that one is no exception.

I'd been in a funk for a few weeks so I hadn't been Brycing, Minecraft was filling in during that time. After seeing all the meatball images I decided to search the web for tutorials so I could give them a try. Much to my dismay, no tutorials could be found, but I'd still like to give the meatball idea a try. Anyway, as usually happens I got distracted in my search and found three tutorials that caught my fancy.

The first image is an enlarge sphere that fills the ground plane from edge to edge, with a mirror material applied. A torus in placed inside the sphere and enlarged so it fits from one side to the other. The first image had a green combo material applied and two radial lights used for lighting. The second is similar to the first in setup but with a different material on the torus and one more radial light.

The little sphere in the third image is one I THINK I tried some time ago but ended up looking more like a stepped on ball of Playdough. This time I knew more about what the tutorial was talking about and it ended up looking just like the tutorial. The second one of this little sphere I like best because of the material used on the outer sphere.

The last image was a multi-replicate tutorial using a torus as the object. It's replicated 50 times, rotated and size changed each creation. This one, in particular, and as usual, didn't turn out as shown in the tutorial. But when I started looking at it, and after giving the ground plane 100% reflection, it seems to be what you see.

Guss, I appreciate the nice comment! And may I say, those samples you've shown here are amazing. I really love these. I just love these effects.

edited July 2013

"@Michael - fantastic. You know, just looking on the small picture here on the forum it looks already awesome. But in full size it’s maddening. I’m absolutely fascinated by the “minor matter” on the lower edge, the grassy bit. The details are just astonishing, all those fine things and the light is gorgeous. This part, before the “real thing” actually starts, could be presented as a full piece of art in itself. It somehow gets lost in all the grandeur of the main thing."

Thanks Horo, I feel the same way about the grass and plants on the bottom there... there's a lot to look at, and it takes a bit to digest. I'm always looking for ways to generate detail and complexity, as if you were looking at the real world. When I sell my art, I offer the largest sizes I can, and sometimes I print up to 5 feet wide by 7 feet high... with the aid of image enhancing software. It's really great to see one of these images that big... it's almost as if you can walk right into it. I'm also getting increasingly excited about the prospect of 3D printing; I'd have a field day with it!

Post edited by M1chaelFrank on
    edited December 1969

Mermaid, that's really beautiful.

edited December 1969

Trish, your lighting experiments with the metaballs is really great. I agree with Horo that different materials (or less of the lights) would be a good solution. Nevertheless, I really like what you've done here!

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - looks like lips through embroidery. Very nice.

I've been watching David's super metal effect video (back on page 84), experimented a bit and put up a memo. For those who don't know what the memos are: a reminder of the essential parts to make the effect work that is covered in the video. They can be found on my website under the main topic Documents.

Here now the result of my tinkering.

SuperMetall03.jpg
    1060 x 540 - 251K
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @mermaid010 - looks like lips through embroidery. Very nice.

I've been watching David's super metal effect video (back on page 84), experimented a bit and put up a memo. For those who don't know what the memos are: a reminder of the essential parts to make the effect work that is covered in the video. They can be found on my website under the main topic Documents.

Here now the result of my tinkering.

Wow, that's fantastic!

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Super effect, Horo...almost an electric feel from it ('fraid to touch my monitor (:))

Jay

edited December 1969

Horo; Really nice dragon!!

edited July 2013

@Trish: Thanks. You're producing some might nice looking images. You might want to view the video of David's, which Horo mentioned, back on page 84. It might help you eliminate many of the radial lights you're usng. David also has a video about over driving the material ambient, which produces a glowing affect. Both might help eliminate the radial lights. You can find out more about Minecraft by going to the Minecraft site. Explaining all that's Minecraft would take some time.

@Horo: Thank you for the comments. Your dragon image is mind blowing. Great work. Using different color for the mirrored sphere and torus gave slightly different appearance to the tunnel. Yes, those spheres could have been made in Wings, but they're all Bryce. They are just three positive spheres, four negative cylinders and the material. And the flying machine didn't start out that way until I applied 100% reflective to the ground plane. Then a flying machine hit me. Ah yes, Minecraft, the time binder. Several hours can pass in the blink of a eye, it's that fun.

@M1chael: Thank you for the kind comments, they mean a lot coming from you.

@mermaid: Lovely image. Especially love the material you used.

Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

Guss; Thanks

I used the first 10sec of davids video and came up with this .......It has teeth

teeth.jpg
    783 x 783 - 235K
    edited December 1969

Guss; Thanks

I used the first 10sec of davids video and came up with this .......It has teeth

I'm really enjoying what you're coming up with!

edited December 1969

@Trish: You're welcome. Really neat looking, um, thing with teeth.

edited December 1969

@M1chael - @Jamahoney - @Trish - @GussNemo
    Thank you all. I was just following the video, added a bit here and changed a bit there.

Well done Trish, looking great.

edited December 1969

Michael; Thank you so much!

Guss; minecraft has horses.....oh my...looks like you make things with it could be very addicting.......Thank you

Horo; Thanks....and thanks for the link to the PDF...It takes me awhile to study Davids videos sometimes they are above my understanding

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Just a bit of Bryce Macro Photography.

LadyBugMacro.jpg
    900 x 1300 - 364K
    edited December 1969

Just a bit of Bryce Macro Photography.

Ahh... beautiful! I just love it.

This discussion has been closed.