Daz 3D Introduces dForce Physics Engine

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 2,882

Do you have Beorn?  it's a PC+ outfit with a cool vest/coat and open chest tunic.

y3kman said:

What's a good looking male wardrobe to showcase the dforce engine? Looking at my product library, I'm just limited to capes, a kilt, and open shirts.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    L'Adair said:

Okay... I'm stumped...

Granted, I haven't tried painting weight maps or anything, but ... how do you get a belt (for example) to cinch a waist?  the belt is a separate item of clothing (and in the case I'm working on, not even for this garment.  I tried defining it as a static dForce object and shrinking it, but it cut through the fabric of the tunic I was trying to cinch.  And calling it a dynamic just resulted in the inevitable buckles and buttons flying off.

If it's been covered in this thread, a link back to the relavant post will be fine. :)  I could easily have missed it.

I have some ideas, but I've never tried it. What are the clothing products? If I have them, I can play and see if I can come up with something for you.

The tunic is the Elven Warrior overtunic refit to G3F, and the belt is the belt and bag from Vagabond - which already needs some twisting and tweaking to fit properly over the tunic as conforming.

Oh, bleep! I've just spent all this time working with the tunic, not the overtunic! arrgh. Well, here are the results anyway! (I'll go back and try the overtunic...)

First, I did not auto-fit the tunic to G3M. I sized it to fit G3M then saved it as an object, imported it and used the Transfer Utility to rig it.

On the belt, I used the Joint Editor to modify the belt to where I wanted it on the figure, then baked the rotations. I parented the belt to the Lower Abdomen of G3M.

I set up the timeline with 60 frames, G3M in T-Pose at 0 frame and full pose at 30. At 0, I set the x and z scale of the belt to 150%. I kept those both at 150% until frame 20, where I set them to 140%, and decreased 10% every 5 frames thereafter, so that the belt wasn't at 100% until frame 40. I used the smoothing modifier to set collision with the tunic. All but a small section in the back seems to fit "correctly."

Front of tunic

Back of Tunic

Okay. Back to the other machine to see if I can answer the question you actually asked!
    blush

L'Adair said:
    L'Adair said:

Okay... I'm stumped...

Granted, I haven't tried painting weight maps or anything, but ... how do you get a belt (for example) to cinch a waist?  the belt is a separate item of clothing (and in the case I'm working on, not even for this garment.  I tried defining it as a static dForce object and shrinking it, but it cut through the fabric of the tunic I was trying to cinch.  And calling it a dynamic just resulted in the inevitable buckles and buttons flying off.

If it's been covered in this thread, a link back to the relavant post will be fine. :)  I could easily have missed it.

I have some ideas, but I've never tried it. What are the clothing products? If I have them, I can play and see if I can come up with something for you.

The tunic is the Elven Warrior overtunic refit to G3F, and the belt is the belt and bag from Vagabond - which already needs some twisting and tweaking to fit properly over the tunic as conforming.

Oh, bleep! I've just spent all this time working with the tunic, not the overtunic! arrgh. Well, here are the results anyway! (I'll go back and try the overtunic...)

First, I did not auto-fit the tunic to G3M. I sized it to fit G3M then saved it as an object, imported it and used the Transfer Utility to rig it.

On the belt, I used the Joint Editor to modify the belt to where I wanted it on the figure, then baked the rotations. I parented the belt to the Lower Abdomen of G3M.

I set up the timeline with 60 frames, G3M in T-Pose at 0 frame and full pose at 30. At 0, I set the x and z scale of the belt to 150%. I kept those both at 150% until frame 20, where I set them to 140%, and decreased 10% every 5 frames thereafter, so that the belt wasn't at 100% until frame 40. I used the smoothing modifier to set collision with the tunic. All but a small section in the back seems to fit "correctly."

Front of tunic

Back of Tunic

Okay. Back to the other machine to see if I can answer the question you actually asked!
    blush

Hey, this is useful too.  Every time I've tried to drape the (fitted/autofitted) Elven Tunic, DS has crashed.  So this is very useful to me (I have a different character wearing the Elven Tunic without the over tunic.  I mix and match outfits a lot.)

• AlmightyQUESTAlmightyQUEST Posts: 1,999
    edited October 2017

Do you have Beorn?  it's a PC+ outfit with a cool vest/coat and open chest tunic.

y3kman said:

What's a good looking male wardrobe to showcase the dforce engine? Looking at my product library, I'm just limited to capes, a kilt, and open shirts.

I've been trying Beorn, the problem with the jacket was initially that it was exploding with the tunic, I think there may have been overlap? After messing around with it a bit, I finally got it to not explode, only for it to fall apart due to the lacing in the back. I'd be interested to see if others have better results, but not knowing what the different material settings are, it's slow going for me.

*Just realized the thread in the DAZ Studio section did include a bit describing the different material options. I still think it will be slow going for me, but will eventually learn the tricks like "If it has laces, set this to X, if it looks too silky, adjust Y" like we did with light and render options in the past.

Post edited by AlmightyQUEST on
    edited October 2017

y3kman said:

I've been trying Beorn, the problem with the jacket was initially that it was exploding with the tunic, I think there may have been overlap? After messing around with it a bit, I finally got it to not explode, only for it to fall apart due to the lacing in the back. I'd be interested to see if others have better results, but not knowing what the different material settings are, it's slow going for me.

*Just realized the thread in the DAZ Studio section did include a bit describing the different material options. I still think it will be slow going for me, but will eventually learn the tricks like "If it has laces, set this to X, if it looks too silky, adjust Y" like we did with light and render options in the past.

I'm working with it now.  I painted a weight map where I removed the dynamics from the laces/eyelets.

Though as soon as I try an animated drape, it crashes, in increasingly early places in the timeline.  I'm hoping it's a memory issue and I can get it to work in the morning (after restarting my computer, which it's too late to do now)

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • y3kmany3kman Posts: 765
    edited October 2017

Hi, your resident dforce newbie here back for more questions.

1. How many divisions do you need for a primitive plane to look good when draped? I tried 1,000 and it took a considerable time for my PC to simulate it.

2. Speaking of drapes, do you guys know a free software that would let me weld geometry/UV maps? I tried dforcing some clothes and Jepe's sheets but it gets torn midway during sim. Turns out there's a small gap (pixel-wide) somewhere.

Post edited by y3kman on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited October 2017
    y3kman said:

Hi, your resident dforce newbie here back for more questions.

1. How many divisions do you need for a primitive plane to look good when draped? I tried 1,000 and it took a considerable time for my PC to simulate it.

2. Speaking of drapes, do you guys know a free software that would let me weld geometry/UV maps? I tried dforcing some clothes and Jepe's sheets but it gets torn midway during sim. Turns out there's a small gap (pixel-wide) somewhere.

I have used 10 divisions on the plane and the simulation looks good to me, but the size of the plane was 2 meters, I think.

Sorry it was the collider plane, not the drape.

Post edited by Artini on
  • LeanderLeander Posts: 56

Leander said:

Hi guys, I've only just got to downloading dForce but have run into problems. I've loaded G8F, dressed her in the Bardot outfit, and then applied a pose.

I press 'Simulate' and a box pops up saying 'It appears that the dForce kernels... have not been compiled' and offering to do it.

I click 'Yes' and a processing box comes up for several minutes, at the end of which I get the message ''Error initializing opencl kernels'. (Screenshots of messages attached)

I am not a techie person. What does this mean and how can I get dForce to work? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has...

Alas, I'm still having problems. I've read the 'Start Here' thread and have updated my NVIDIA driver to the most recent available to me (388.00 if that means anything to anyone) and also deinstalled my Intel HD graphics driver to replace it with the Intel OpenCL driver recommended in that 'Start Here' thread. I'm still getting exactly the same error message - my kernels still can't be initialized.

Am I really the only one who's had this problem? Surely my computer can't be so much older and more rickety than anyone else's? Does anyone have any other bright ideas about what I can do? I want to play too... *lip wobbles*

• Aave NainenAave Nainen Posts: 1,108
    Leander said:

Leander said:

Hi guys, I've only just got to downloading dForce but have run into problems. I've loaded G8F, dressed her in the Bardot outfit, and then applied a pose.

I press 'Simulate' and a box pops up saying 'It appears that the dForce kernels... have not been compiled' and offering to do it.

I click 'Yes' and a processing box comes up for several minutes, at the end of which I get the message ''Error initializing opencl kernels'. (Screenshots of messages attached)

I am not a techie person. What does this mean and how can I get dForce to work? Thanks in advance for any advice anyone has...

Alas, I'm still having problems. I've read the 'Start Here' thread and have updated my NVIDIA driver to the most recent available to me (388.00 if that means anything to anyone) and also deinstalled my Intel HD graphics driver to replace it with the Intel OpenCL driver recommended in that 'Start Here' thread. I'm still getting exactly the same error message - my kernels still can't be initialized.

Am I really the only one who's had this problem? Surely my computer can't be so much older and more rickety than anyone else's? Does anyone have any other bright ideas about what I can do? I want to play too... *lip wobbles*

There are some suggestions in this thread https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/206951/could-not-find-a-valid-opencl-device-dforce-issue#latest

perhaps this will help.

• Leander said:

in the Simulation Settings Pane - Advanced Tab you can select the OpenCL Device.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955

OK, I'm in need of backing the tape beginning, but cannot find a beginning anywhere.

And with no manuals and with no search function in the forum, one has to make a new beginning.

So sorry to crash this thread but how do you start Dforce?

And I ask that the same way as a newbie would ask "How do you start a car," while not even knowing there's something called ignition.

edited October 2017
    Hera said:

OK, I'm in need of backing the tape beginning, but cannot find a beginning anywhere.

And with no manuals and with no search function in the forum, one has to make a new beginning.

And I ask that the same way as a newbie would ask "How do you start a car," while not even knowing there's something called ignition.

Okay.  you wanted the newbie version:

1) upgrade to DS 4.10.

1.5) if using DIM, download and install dForce Essentials.  If using Daz Connect, start DS and install dForce Essentials.

2) in Scripts->Utilities run "Merge and Update Menus"

3) Open "Simulation Settings" tab

4) load G8F and the new outfit (sorry, I'm blanking.  It's in wardrobe under dForce Essentials on the smart content pane)

5) on the Simulation settings tab, there's a "simulate" button.  Press that.

The outfit should now drape on G8F

Anything more than that, I'm going to point you towards Mada's video tutorials for now.

Post edited by DaWaterRat on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    Hera said:

1) upgrade to DS 4.10.

1.5) if using DIM, download and install dForce Essentials.  If using Daz Connect, start DS and install dForce Essentials.

4) load G3F and the new outfit (sorry, I'm blanking.  It's in wardrobe under dForce Essentials on the smart content pane)

Anything more than that, I'm going to point you towards Mada's video tutorials for now.

Have to ask.. didn't you meant load g8f in number 4? 

Carola O said:
    Hera said:

1) upgrade to DS 4.10.

4) load G3F and the new outfit (sorry, I'm blanking.  It's in wardrobe under dForce Essentials on the smart content pane)

Have to ask.. didn't you meant load g8f in number 4? 

Yes.  Yes I did.  Edited.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

was a bit confused and thought I had missed something, so felt better to ask :)

• HeraHera Posts: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    Hera said:

Works fine until this point, cannot find dForce Essentials. Searching for it in the store it brings me to Michael 7, which is strange since it's designed for V8. Nothing in the DIM. Nothing in the Product library.

Is the plugin not included in the default Studio 4.1 ???

Post edited by Hera on
  • dForce Essentials is not a plugin.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,920
    edited October 2017
    Hera said:
    Hera said:

Works fine until this point, cannot find dForce Essentials. Searching for it in the store it brings me to Michael 7, which is strainge since it's designed for V8. Nothing in the DIM. Nothing in the Product library. Is this plugin not included in the default Studio 4.1 ???

It's not a plug-in

Post edited by frank0314 on
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited October 2017
    Hera said:
    Hera said:

Works fine until this point, cannot find dForce Essentials. Searching for it in the store it brings me to Michael 7, which is strange since it's designed for V8. Nothing in the DIM. Nothing in the Product library.

dForce Starter Essentials is a product. You can find it in your content library > products under the letter D. (dForce)

Post edited by dHandle on
  • Hera said:

dForce Starter Essentials is bundled with the Beta.

Hera said:
    Hera said:

I install throgh connect (except the core Das Studio itself), so that's how I installed the dForce Essentials.  I can also find them in my product library under dForce Starter Essentials, so you should be able to manually download from there.  I can also find it in DIM by serching under "starter"

• LeanderLeander Posts: 56

in the Simulation Settings Pane - Advanced Tab you can select the OpenCL Device.

By Jove, this seems to work! Thank you! I've changed it over to NVIDIA and it worked with the Bardot Dress. Now I can actually read through all the tutorials and get started! Thanks to you and Aave Nainen for helping out.

• davidcaputokeenedavidcaputokeene Posts: 131
    edited October 2017
    marble said:

I've just looked at the release announcement and they talk about OpenCL using the GPU or CPU so I'm interested to know if the GPU would help with sim speed - I have a GeForce GTX 1070.

It's either/or - you pick which device to use in the Advanced tab of the Simulation Settings pane. CPU does need the Intel OpenCL driver (which, reprotedly, works on AMD CPUs too).

I do not seem to have any other option than NVIDIA in the simulation Advanced engine tab. I have all the option appearing though in Render Settings. Is there some action or procedure that I'm missing?

Post edited by davidcaputokeene on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,331
    edited October 2017

Night shirt on Corina mixed with some other shapes.

https://www.daz3d.com/dForce-night-shirt-and-sippers-for-genesis-8-female-s

CorinaMix03sim01a02pic02.jpg
    960 x 1080 - 491K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • marble said:

I've just looked at the release announcement and they talk about OpenCL using the GPU or CPU so I'm interested to know if the GPU would help with sim speed - I have a GeForce GTX 1070.

It's either/or - you pick which device to use in the Advanced tab of the Simulation Settings pane. CPU does need the Intel OpenCL driver (which, reprotedly, works on AMD CPUs too).

I do not seem to have any other option than NVIDIA in the simulation Advanced engine tab. I have all the option appearing though in Render Settings. Is there some action or procedure that I'm missing?

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/203081/dforce-start-here#latest

• marble said:

There's no real relationship between the list of devices in Render Settings for Iray (CPU and GPUs with CUDA) and that in Simulatin Settings(OpenCL devices). AMD GPUs wil appear in Simulation Settings but not in Redner Settings, CPUs will always appear in Render Settings but require a driver that is not isntalled by default to appear in Simulation Settings. There is a link to the Intel CPU driver in the dForce Start Here thread linked above.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

More interesting but puzzling draping behaviour: turns out I can drape the same dress (the original MeriMay) when a generic G2F is wearing it (like Steph6), but when it's Amy's Deco for G2F ( https://amyaimei.deviantart.com/art/Deco-for-Genesis-2-Female-575104328 ), it does the same "stuck on a hanger" thing as my V2 test.

At the same time, a well-mophed V3RR posed no real issues. I chickened out of including the shoes into the sim, though, so the pants clip through them.

It's so cool to have those "dynamic strength" settings, really helps with pants not falling off and with those non-welded belt loops staying put (the "short" zone of the pants used a 0.5 strength, and the loops 0 strength).

V3RR_EvilinnocFreebie_SlacksMClothes.png
    618 x 1000 - 579K
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

@DaWaterRat, I'm still working on that Overtunic. laugh

I've got it and the belt playing nice together, for the most part. How well they work together is going to be dependent on the figure's pose.

Two of many things I learned while trying to make this work:

1. Self Collide does not work the way I would expect; The tails of the tunic were attracted to each other as if Self Collide was a directive to collide; I expected it to simply mean if the item came in contact with itself, it should collide rather than intersect. With Self Collide off, the tails draped as one would expect cloth to drape. (It was weird watching the sim from the back, where on end was stretching to the side and up in an effort to collide with the other tail!)
    2. Weight Maps work with Dynamic Strength, not in place of it. If you set Dynamic Strength to "0" the Weight Maps have no effect. If you fill a surface with 100% weight, but set Dynamic Strength to ".5" it appears to have the same effect as if Dynamic Strength were set to "1" and the fill were set to 50%.

For anyone familiar with dynamic cloth via Poser, Optitex and/or VWD, these things might be obvious. But for those of struggling to understand what the settings do, and how they work togetther, yeah, not so much.

One more thing: Both the Tunic and the Overtunic have 2 surfaces, the body and the sleeves. dForce settings needed for the "skirt" or "tails" of the tunics to drape also cause the rest of the tunic to drape, even when filling the upper area with 0% weight via the Weight Map tools. But both items fit better when the upper area of the body, and the sleeves are conforming, not dynamic. To solve that issue, I used the Geometry Editor, selected the lower area of the items and created new material zones for them. The upper torso was then set with Dynamic Strength "0" while the bottoms were set to Dynamic Strength "1".

I'll upload some images in a bit.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 911
    edited October 2017

I don't know that this is something a lot of people see, but thought I'd stop in and share something I just discovered. I've been using dForce with varying degrees of success since before the official launch and kept being held back by the fact that it would work, but was very slow. Here are my specs:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)

Processor: 2 x 3.33 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6144 MB

Under the Advanced tab in the Simulation Settings tab, there's a menu for selecting your OpenCL device. I had it set to use the 980 card. With that, simulations took upwards of 20 minutes to complete. So just for the sake of it, I switched to the other option that menu offered, which is CPU rather than the GPU (in my case, Apple Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU). Using that, draping takes about four minutes instead of 20. Why? I don't know. I'm not tech savvy enough. But if your NVIDIA card is already up to date and you're seeing dForce run really slowly, take a look and see if switching to CPU makes a difference.

Of course, if anyone can explain why that does make such a difference, I'd be interested to learn. smiley 

Screen Shot 2017-10-29 at 7.25.04 PM.png
    446 x 235 - 30K
    Post edited by Quixotry on
  • Hera said:
    Hera said:

I install throgh connect (except the core Das Studio itself), so that's how I installed the dForce Essentials.  I can also find them in my product library under dForce Starter Essentials, so you should be able to manually download from there.  I can also find it in DIM by serching under "starter"

I'm another one for whom it's just not showing up.

I've installed 4.10 manually, but can't find dforce starter essentials in any place I look (product library - neither searching for dforce, essentials, or starter) nor in the store.

Is there a link to a product page?