Heroes, Heroines and 3D Graphics - July Freebie Contest

Comments

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

jeeperz said:
    well at least no one I know has it

I've seen a couple that come pretty close.
    :gulp: ;-P
  • Gloomy007Gloomy007 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It happened -- in a rather well known environment. They were quickly unemployed. Back in the early Usenet days there was quite the furor over it.

There was also a patch for MS-DOS that one could run that would return, ummmm, interesting results. Not recommended for use in a workplace. MP/M had a few "nasties" hidden in it.

Kendall

So.. who will take a challenge to make it for DS/Poser ... it would save a lot of pc kicking and swearing (I for one would be laughing at those things)

chohole said:
    I have to admit I am with you on that Jeeperz, that's the way I read it as well. I too hate being so pedantic, but rules is rules, and by 'eck just lately we seem to have had far too many queries and quibbles about rules. Not sure what has gone wrong just lately.

Where's the fun and games all gone to.

I stand also with jepeerz here. Fixing poketrought in one things, making changes to the lights, or other elements is postwork.
    And I ma with chohole on this one.. all the sudden rules are ruling here ;)

well I'm pretty sure he (or she) wasn't referring to me as the boss, I get no respect around here sometimes (just kidding) let alone being considered the boss lady around here. You'd think being an ETO would get me some respect, but I'm good with that, then music can be the heavy not me.

oh jepeerz, here is a big respectful hug ;)

yeahh
    chohole.. I just started diet.. have mercy *licking the screen*

Ok .. my head hurts after reaading all of it about the rules.
    I for one am fan of rules, they make a world spin in order...

To avoid all the talk every month, why not make an explanations of the rules in the rules tread?
    It would save a lot of precious forum pages :lol:

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited December 1969

The Freebie Challenge is two parts. a competition and a social club, they need each other to make the Challenge what it is, a fun place to hang a round. The club side will have to accept that there are competition related things that has to be discussed, like rules, just like the competition side has to accept that a few pies fly around now and then. We need each other. jeeperz is willing to fight for the club, side just like I'm willing to fight for the competition side, but we have the same goal, a better Challenge. We need the balance, if one side takes over the Challenge will die. The only other thing that will truly hurt the Challenge is people leaving.
    I, for one, plan to hang around a while longer. Hope to see you too.

Cheers! Oom

"If it don't kill ya...it just makes you stronger!" (Bruce Willis)

:-)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited July 2012

music2u4u said:
    The Freebie Challenge is two parts. a competition and a social club, they need each other to make the Challenge what it is, a fun place to hang a round. The club side will have to accept that there are competition related things that has to be discussed, like rules, just like the competition side has to accept that a few pies fly around now and then. We need each other. jeeperz is willing to fight for the club, side just like I'm willing to fight for the competition side, but we have the same goal, a better Challenge. We need the balance, if one side takes over the Challenge will die. The only other thing that will truly hurt the Challenge is people leaving.
    I, for one, plan to hang around a while longer. Hope to see you too.

Cheers! Oom

"If it don't kill ya...it just makes you stronger!" (Bruce Willis)

:-)

Actually that was Gary Oldman as Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg, in "The 5th Element" He was talking to the Mangalores he had hired to obtain the "stones."

Start Monologue Excerpt

My dear Aknot, what about those two little planes you borrowed?

Aknot, is that you? What an ugly face. It doesn't suit you. Take it off.

Much better. Never be ashamed of who you are. You're warriors, be proud. So what if the Federal Government scattered your people into the wind? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

End Monologue Excerpt

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
  • jeeperzjeeperz Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

thank you Krissy...

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    jeeperz said:

good to see ya B, it's been a while, how'z it going????
    I will toss a pie at you since you haven't been here for a while. SPLAT

edited July 2012

Alexa is still deciding whether she's going to bother coming back. She wasn't going to bother submitting this at all, but since she had gone through the work I decided to post it for her. Her opinion is that she really doesn't care anymore whether an entry is accepted or not. She feels that it has become too much about worrying whether "things are accepted" or not. She abandoned *2* entries last month even after getting permission to use some material.

"You can't tell from month to month what is and isn't going to be allowed anymore" she said.

In the meantime, here is what was going to be her entry.

Below the line is her text for the entry.

----------------------------

I used Comic Life as requested. It was made to run under Wine but the final output was exported from Windows. The posted version is not the final version as I wasn't sure on how my sketched avatar of the main character would be "ruled" and decided to post without it. The full version is available here: http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/agsears/Freebie+Contest/Page_1.jpg.html

Freebies:

Bonne Nuit * - www.sharecg.com/v/54220

Lamp * - www.sharecg.com/v/20095

Chair and Bed * - http://www.sharecg.com/v/51024/

Desk - http://lab108.x0.com/lab108/furniture.html (2nd from bottom)

Laptop – http://lab108.x0.com/lab108/electrical.html(9th from top)

Mitsu Hair * – http://www.daz3d.com/shop/anime-star-fighter/

Gold fish (Adam Thwaites required object) - http://www.most-digital-creations.com/freestuff.htm (65th from top)

Plane Caustic texture - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2768/

Oriental bridge * – www.ontarget3d.com/site/category/57-Poser-freestuff.aspx (first item)

Ultimate Shader (used on sword and tank corners) * - http://sharecg.com/v/27568

Chic halter * - http://www.sharecg.com/v/38590/

Katana * – http://www.sharecg.com/v/33710

Margo skin - http://www.artraiders.com/download_page.php?file_id=340

Not sure how to classify this month: used in unusual way. Not sure if it constitutes “clear”, not willing to get bitten by asking

Fur shaders (used for rocks in tank) Christmas 2010 * – http://www.sharecg.com/v/46600
    Splash effect (used around the dragon's neck) * - http://www.shells.ca/index.php?page=skunkworks (second row, third column)

Not counted: (visible in scene)
    Genesis – default content
    Subdragon – default content
    Wood shaders (used on bed) – dead link (old forums)
    Fisty's water and glass shader (used on and in fish tank) – dead link (old forums)
    Primitives used to create fish tank – DAZ studio default features
    Smoothing modifier and collision (used on mattress) – DAZ studio default features
    Polygon Group Editor (used on lamp and fish) – DAZ Studio default features
    Autofit (used on hair and clothes) – DAZ Studio default features
    vyhktoria's Gingham shaders (used on curtain) – dead link (old forums)

Paid:
    Maclean's room creator

*=registration required

Toon-ified using default DS4 cartoon render mode.

Software Used: DS4.5 Pro under Linux/Wine. Comic Life used under Linux/Wine and Windows per the rules.

Page_1.jpg
    816 x 1344 - 254K
    edited December 1969

that is cool and very funny Kendall, I like

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:

It's not my work. It's Alexa's. I only posted it in her stead.

Kendall

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

It's terrific, Kendall, and please tell Alexa I said so! Great characterisation and very funny.

Then tell her to get back in here. I think we're almost over the hump on this rules thing.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

That is really good, and really funny.

Well done Alexa, one of your best imho.

• JesterVIIJesterVII Posts: 175
    edited December 1969

well yesterday my comp gave me the blue screen of death 3 times then refused to even get to the password login screen. So I went out and bought a mac. Spent all night and most of the morning re-installing 37 pages of DL's. Got more than that but thats all that I use on a regular basis. So now I gotta learn MAC' speak. LOL... It might be a while before I post any more renders, gotta find and re-install the stuff used. Man daz needs to make "Here re-install all your stuff all at once" button. Had the usage agreement memorized this morning then I went to sleep....lol

edited July 2012

dleelaw57 said:
    "opinions are like A#%$oles, everybody has one, some are just bigger than others."

That's very close to one of the sayings I'm well known for:

"Opinions are like anuses. Everybody has one, and most of them stink."

Kendall

edited December 1969

dleelaw57 said:
    jeeperz said:

Since my pie throwing is considered ... well I'm not sure why that comment was made, but, no more pies unless you ask for them now. after all that is not what I'M about right??? that way all will see that I do care about more that just the fun......

This reminds me of a bear face, a bull in the pen, and a boat load of crappie. Funny story maybe I will tell it some day.

Speaking of a boat load of crappie. Please never stop having fun. I thought fun was what this is all about. I don’t care about winning a contest. I care about the challenge which includes staying with the theme and within the rules as posted, having a few hours of fun and a reason to smile at the end of a long stressful day.

Some people can not have fun unless they are winning. That may include fighting for a rule change that may allow use of a model, object or software they are extremely masterful with.

(Note: This comment is not directed at any individual or group. It is my opinion. And I will say it before Dorseyland does, opinions are like A#%$oles, everybody has one, some are just bigger than others.)

If some players think pie throwing is not fun, don’t throw at them. You can chuck a Hershey’s Chocolate Cream Pie my way any time, all I ask is it is HERSHEY'S CHOCOLATE.

Wow! Frivolous post padding is fun.

wel now... in that case... got a nice big Hershey chocolate pie waiting for you dlee, one, two, three.... wait for it....... SPLAT

edited December 1969

jeeperz said:

It's not my work. It's Alexa's. I only posted it in her stead.

Kendall

everyone better watch out, if that is Alexa's work you're all in trouble now, LG I think you have your work cut out for you. Tell her that I think this is her best so far. VERY good

edited December 1969

JesterVII said:
    well yesterday my comp gave me the blue screen of death 3 times then refused to even get to the password login screen. So I went out and bought a mac. Spent all night and most of the morning re-installing 37 pages of DL's. Got more than that but thats all that I use on a regular basis. So now I gotta learn MAC' speak. LOL... It might be a while before I post any more renders, gotta find and re-install the stuff used. Man daz needs to make "Here re-install all your stuff all at once" button. Had the usage agreement memorized this morning then I went to sleep....lol

sorry about your luck Jester

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,408
    edited December 1969

Quick question, with Perlk taking some time off to take care of her pregnancy (Congratulations Perl), who's going to update the contest gallery? It hasn't been updated since the last time Perl did.

edited July 2012

Quick question, with Perlk taking some time off to take care of her pregnancy (Congratulations Perl), who's going to update the contest gallery? It hasn't been updated since the last time Perl did.

I have the space, software, and resources to host all of the previous and current challenges. But only if there are no objections.

EDIT: My software can also hold the freebie lists and notes.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Perl did say that hse would be back to update the gallery, but like Tramp I read that as sometime in the future and not for this month.

Perl is the only person who can update that gallery.

perlk said:
    Hi guys, sorry I have been absent lately. I'm probably going to take a break for a month or so. Here's why.

I am 17 weeks pregnant, and have been having some medical problems associated with pregnancy. There's only so much time in the day to do my work, doctor's appointments, and keeping up with real life!

When I can get my conditions under control, I'll be back and updating the gallery!

So we may be stuck without it, as nowadays there is no easy way to gather all the images together for a voting thread, like we used to do in New Users Contest, which is one reason why he have changed the format of that one, so the actual contest thread only has entires in it, and the WIPS etc are in a different thread.
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,408
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Perl did say that hse would be back to update the gallery, but like Tramp I read that as sometime in the future and not for this month.

perlk said:
    Hi guys, sorry I have been absent lately. I'm probably going to take a break for a month or so. Here's why.

I am 17 weeks pregnant, and have been having some medical problems associated with pregnancy. There's only so much time in the day to do my work, doctor's appointments, and keeping up with real life!

When I can get my conditions under control, I'll be back and updating the gallery!

So we may be stuck without it, as nowadays there is no easy way to gather all the images together for a voting thread, like we used to do in New Users Contest, which is one reason why he have changed the format of that one, so the actual contest thread only has entires in it, and the WIPS etc are in a different thread. Then I say let Kendal set up a new gallery for this month's contest if he wants, until Perl comes back.
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

perlk said:

So we may be stuck without it, as nowadays there is no easy way to gather all the images together for a voting thread, like we used to do in New Users Contest, which is one reason why he have changed the format of that one, so the actual contest thread only has entires in it, and the WIPS etc are in a different thread.

what we used to do before we had the luxury of a site to go to for the judges, I used to keep a folder and just cop&past; to it. But if all are good with it, I say let Kendall take that one on, Mavelle had a site before perlk, and perlk took over when Mav had to leave the forum for personal reasons.

• DorseylandDorseyland Posts: 724
    edited December 1969

Oh, let's all be friends.

Truce declared. Peace unto the Freebie Challenge.

Comic_4b.png
    986 x 615 - 745K
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Well, I liked it! I actually want to see if the fish ends up being lunch! :lol:

Dana

edited July 2012

jeeperz said:
    BWSman said:
    jeeperz said:

It's going. I'm mostly lurking (RL is interfering) but I'll try to put a render in this month.
    ~grabs tossed pie in a lacross stick and tosses it back at jeeperz~

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=9871_hgFFY2bdGYwbgkEdwzCV&board_id=1

Dana
    I think I know the answer . :lol:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/sushi-time-two/

Post edited by BWSman on
    edited July 2012

OK, guys, gals, aliens, and unclassifieds...

Just in case my offer is accepted to host the Galleries, I have set up a preliminary gallery section for this month's contest.

I need a little input from the group at large, and from the ETO's especially. I have lots of options on my server. However, I intend to start with just basic settings. There are 3 things that I am willing to activate upon startup:

1) Ratings
    2) Comments
    3) Watermarks (these are non-permanent and just to keep folks from taking others material)

What are the comments from you all?

Also, I have the ability to host both the NAEs and the Entries, is this a wanted option.

Finally, I will start out by putting the Galleries on my unlimited storage servers, which are speed limited. If it seems that this is unsatisfactory, I will transfer the current month's galleries to my servers on the high-speed connection.

Also, all ETO's and DAZ forum Moderators will be given administration privileges to this section. Any of them will be able to add or remove entries.

Comments?

Kendall

edited December 1969

BWSman said:
    jeeperz said:
    BWSman said:
    jeeperz said:

It's going. I'm mostly lurking (RL is interfering) but I'll try to put a render in this month.
    ~grabs tossed pie in a lacross stick and tosses it back at jeeperz~

http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=41&aid=9871_hgFFY2bdGYwbgkEdwzCV&board_id=1

Dana
    I think I know the answer . :lol:

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/sushi-time-two/

ARGHHHHHHH..... you got me, what a mess it make, now I have to clean up my floor, and computer.

edited December 1969

Just in case my offer is accepted to host the Galleries, I have set up a preliminary gallery section for this month's contest.

I need a little input from the group at large, and from the ETO's especially. I have lots of options on my server. However, I intend to start with just basic settings. There are 3 things that I am willing to activate upon startup:

1) Ratings
    2) Comments
    3) Watermarks (these are non-permanent and just to keep folks from taking others material)

Also, I have the ability to host both the NAEs and the Entries, is this a wanted option.

Finally, I will start out by putting the Galleries on my unlimited storage servers, which are speed limited. If it seems that this is unsatisfactory, I will transfer the current month's galleries to my servers on the high-speed connection.

Also, all ETO's and DAZ forum Moderators will be given administration privileges to this section. Any of them will be able to add or remove entries.

Comments?

Kendall

That'll work for me (as a sometimes judge & and ETO)

edited December 1969

1) Ratings
    2) Comments

Comments?

Kendall

don't know how much longer i will be around as my mouth seems to have ran away with my brain, but I like the idea of comments too, gives the judges a chance to see how others thought before you decide. Watermarks??? hmmm.... I guess that we need to protect ourselves from people stealing material, I just haven't seen that here. or maybe I haven't noticed it and it is happening. Putting a disclosure at the beginning of the page might solve that. NAE's are nice to have on the site, but then it may cause confusion. An NAE section would be nice if that works. Anyway, that is my opinion on it.

edited December 1969

BWSman said:

1) Ratings
    2) Comments

Comments?

Kendall

That'll work for me (as a sometimes judge & and ETO)

Yup works for me as well. Hey as both a Mod and an ETO do I get double the access permissions :question: :coolsmirk:

edited July 2012

Since Jeeperz pointed it out...

I neglected to state that the NAE's and Entries would be stored in separate sub-galleries.

Oops: I hit submit too soon. The rules for the particular contest will be displayed at the top of the gallery. see: http://ovbi.org/gallery/v/FreebieChallenge/July2012/

for an example of this month.

Kendall