And yet another toilet without a seat???

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,104
    edited December 2019

It'd be easy enough to put a drainpipe on the tub, but the lack of a seat on the toilet seriously bothers me.

Looking through the store I also note a number of bathrooms with no toilet. I find myself wondering if it's just a cultural difference. I know homes are often laid out differently in other countries and perhaps the lack of the toilet seat has something to do with that?

I expect the toilet to be in a seperate small room. I think that is normal in older British houses but it might be less common in newer ones to save space. I do expect a lift up seat on the toilet, although the lid is a bit of a modern invention.

The house I was born in had a bathroom with toilet, that was 1950 and a post-war house, the house I was brought up in for the first five years of life was a Victorian tenement with an outside toilet, I was washed in the scullery sink :) We then moved in the middle '50's to a brand newly built house with the toilet in the bathroom so I don't think a house with a separate toilet from the bathroom was normal.

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • speaking from the point of a Service Engineer that works in the legionella control industry, I visit a LOT of toilets while servicing TMV's (Thermo Mixing Valves - they control water temp to prevent scalding) or taking samples/temperatures from the sinks, and every toilet I've seen either has a seat or a bolted on "seat" (toilets that are exterior access from a carpark or in a mental health unit, designed to be tough and hard to damage). 

never seen just bare Porcelain. ever.. 

also my experience is why I spotted the lack of a drain on the tub... 

• mr clammr clam Posts: 707

That is clearly a modern Western toilet and all modern Western toilets should have seats. Seats were used almost as soon as flushing toilets were introduced, even for fancy decorative Victorian porcelain bowls. The users didn't sit directly on the porcelain, but would rather sit on wood placed over the porcelain. However, there is nothing Victorian about this model, so the lack of a seat makes very little sense.

As for a seperate room for the toilet: this was somewhat common, at least in Victorian era flats. I lived in such a flat for many years and rather liked it, as you didn't need to wait for someone to finish their shower before you could use the toilet. 

• Well now that many have ascertained that there is a need for toilet seats, maybe some thoughtful PA will come up with a store prop that sells a wide variety of toilet seats - like what one might find in some tremendously large hardware depot store. Wooden, plastic, long, short, heavy, light, themed ...

• a universal toilet seat prop with morphs

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Celophane prank morph :P

• I went to a school where the toilet seats were two bits of wood bolted to the top of the bowl. Not nice.

Oh, and the paper would have been less painful had it been sandpaper.

Regards,

Richard.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798

I can't believe no one has mentioned the most glaring inaccuracy of this "Classic" bathroom offering - the ultra-modern frameless/seamless all glass corner box shower with floor pan  --  I didn't realize "classic" hearkened all the way back to 2012.

That toilet without a seat is hilarious - I can hear a bunch of digital female dolls complaining to their male counterparts, not only did they forget to put the seat back down, but they forgot to even install it...

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,939
    edited December 2019

Okay, this really bothered me so I got to digging around and found out that apparently taking the seat off the toilet is a not uncommon a thing in Greece, Italy and the Vatican...  https://toilet-guru.com/seatless.php ; Apparently this is  done in the belief that the porcelin is more sanitary than a plastic or wooden seat, but as you can see by the open boltholes. (THAT'S BOLT-HOLES MODS,. BOLTHOLES!!!) in all of the pictures they show, the toilets have clearly had the seats removed and were not sold that way, 

Moreover, as this ABC news story https://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=1213831&page=1 ; shows, the belief is based on a false premise, as it turns out that the the the toilet SEAT is actually one of the cleanest spots in the entire bathroom.  To make the hygeine claim effective, both the entire toilet AND the surrounding floor would have to be wiped clean with a sterilizing agent after every flush, while the plastic used in modern toilet seats normally have an anti-microbial ingredient that actively kills germs. One would assume that wood probably would be less effective than ceramic, so the Southern European tradition may be a holdover from the days when seats were made of plain varnished wood.. 

But, you may ask, if all of the above is true, then why aren't the entire toilets made of plastic?  Bascially, because it would be much, much more expensive than ceramic, as this story on Gizmodo explains https://gizmodo.com/why-toilets-are-still-made-of-porcelain-5930537 ;

In summary, I think it's important to note that the Japanese, whose focus on developing state of the art toilets has exceeded that of the rest of the world for man, manyy years, use plastic seats across the board in all of their high tech devices, while Japanese public toilets are of the seated variety except in the cases where the older squat styles are still used.          

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Mthe unflateable toulet

the porcelain throne

attainable with dragons and 2 armies

a universal toilet seat prop with morphs

I'm sure that the DAZ Trolls and the Reptilian would appreciate that.  :)  I wish I could find it, but I remember that the late cartoonist Howard Cruise did a hilarious one-off in Starlog many years ago in which Luke Skywalker finds himself inside in the barthroom at the Mos Eisley Cantina, surrounded by all the extemely bizarre bathroom fixtures required for the various aliens and clearly unable to figure out how to use any of them.  

• Cybersox said:

I'm sure that the DAZ Trolls and the Reptilian would appreciate that.  :)  I wish I could find it, but I remember that the late cartoonist Howard Cruise did a hilarious one-off in Starlog many years ago in which Luke Skywalker finds himself inside in the barthroom at the Mos Eisley Cantina, surrounded by all the extemely bizarre bathroom fixtures required for the various aliens and clearly unable to figure out how to use any of them.  

could have the DnD mimic seat that sprouts teeth and a big tongue emerges from the bowl

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,957
    Cybersox said:

https://www.daz3d.com/ts-classic-bathroom-03

Again?  Seriously?  I've traveled all over the world and i've never seen a western style toilet that didn't have a lift-up seat... no lid often, but never no seat in any place that has indoor plumbing.  

I have, juvie detention centers and most likely prisons and jails...

• well it was mentioned in Babylon 5 that diamond urinals would be required for one species...

• Cybersox said:

Again?  Seriously?  I've traveled all over the world and i've never seen a western style toilet that didn't have a lift-up seat... no lid often, but never no seat in any place that has indoor plumbing.  

In parks, as well.  Makes it easier to clean them with harsh chemicals, plus it gives one less thing for inmates, transients, and punks to destroy.  That said, I don't think I've ever heard of a lidless, seatless toilet in a household bathroom, at least in the US.

Cybersox said:

I'd researched that when someone mentioned seeing them in a public park in Austrailia....but the toilets that are designed for prison use are a.) made of metal a ceramic toilets are easily shatterd and a broken chunk of ceramic would make for a deady imporvised weapon, and b.) have much wider rims, usually with a contour, so the "seat" is effectively built in. On the other hand, the one in the product the started off this thread actually has a thinner than normal rim.  

• Cybersox said:

could have the DnD mimic seat that sprouts teeth and a big tongue emerges from the bowl

https://www.daz3d.com/tentacle-soup https://www.daz3d.com/widdershins-the-tentacle Just gonna leave those links here...
  • Show not TellShow not Tell Posts: 206
    edited December 2019
    Cybersox said:
    Cybersox said:

I'd researched that when someone mentioned seeing them in a public park in Austrailia....but the toilets that are designed for prison use are a.) made of metal a ceramic toilets are easily shatterd and a broken chunk of ceramic would make for a deady imporvised weapon, and b.) have much wider rims, usually with a contour, so the "seat" is effectively built in. On the other hand, the one in the product the started off this thread actually has a thinner than normal rim.  

"Confinement Cell" has a toilet with a lid that actually goes up and down. I also hate scenes where PA's have windows with blinds that don't close. Then you are stuck having to find and bring in a backdrop when you could have just closed the FREAKING BLINDS ! I mean who does that ?

Post edited by Show not Tell on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,948
    edited December 2019
    Fishtales said:

I remember a Snooker/Billiard hall here at home in Scotland and the toilet was a hole in the floor with two markers for where to put your feet, and there was no ladies toilet :)  It was open plan and the urinal was sheets of stainless steel on one wall going down to a gutter/channel in the floor and down a drain. You had to flush it yourself, a chain hanging form the cistern, which going by the smell many didn't :) That was in the early '60's.

...there was an old dive pub that was near where I used to work that had a long steel trough in the men's loo that serves as the urinal.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    Cybersox said:
    Cybersox said:

"Confinement Cell" has a toilet with a lid that actually goes up and down. I also hate scenes where PA's have windows with blinds that don't close. Then you are stuck having to find and bring in a backdrop when you could have just closed the FREAKING BLINDS ! I mean who does that ?

...the ones that get me are the bathrooms with a big window in the wall that the tub is next to.  

kyoto kid said:
    Cybersox said:
    Cybersox said:

...the ones that get me are the bathrooms with a big window in the wall that the tub is next to.  

I've stayed in hotels like that, the most memorable being the Princeville, a very upscale resort on the island of Kaua, since the room we were staying in was actually on the beach.so people would be walking by right at our level.  The trick was that was that window was made of SmartGlass and could be turned opaque just by flicking a switch on the wall.  Pretty nifty.   

• otherunicornotherunicorn Posts: 374
    edited December 2019
    Cybersox said:
    Cybersox said:

The ones to which I was referring were of the classic lidded design, with the thin lip. The hole was so wide that anyone without a decent width of butt would fall in. It was in a large private caravan park.

Post edited by otherunicorn on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,164
    edited December 2019

A resouceful pa could capitlize on this hardware issue,   Maybe create a hardware store with toilet seats and other missing plumming & hardware items that seem to get overlooked. They could offer them as a prop that can be installed in any bathroom. because of a missing sinks and toilet seats. shower curtains , toilet paper holder ,  etc. .. just saying

Post edited by Ivy on
    kyoto kid said:
    Fishtales said:

I remember a Snooker/Billiard hall here at home in Scotland and the toilet was a hole in the floor with two markers for where to put your feet, and there was no ladies toilet :)  It was open plan and the urinal was sheets of stainless steel on one wall going down to a gutter/channel in the floor and down a drain. You had to flush it yourself, a chain hanging form the cistern, which going by the smell many didn't :) That was in the early '60's.

...there was an old dive pub that was near where I used to work that had a long steel trough in the men's loo that serves as the urinal.

One of the most off-putting toilet encounters that I can remember was a dive bar in Tokyo, which was run by a Marine who'd gone native and had decorated the place like the early 70's.  The bathroom was still the old squat kind, but he'd covered the entire room with white fake fur.  Needless to say, you had to be really, really carefu as it would be immediately obvious if you'd "missed"l...

Japan is also where I had my single weirdest public toliet experience, as there was an insane themed nightclub in Shinjuku that was done entirely with a Russian Salt MIne Prison theme... it really looked like you were in a underground cavern, they had the voices and screams of of prisoners wafting over the sound system and the whole thing was on shaker platforms, so that when the "train" came through every half hour or so, the entire place woulf rock and fill with steam.  If you think you know where this is going, however, think again, as that's what I thought when some of the guys who'd taken us there encouraged me to use the bathroom.  Instead of some torture chamber, the men's room had been designed by Katsuhiro Otomo, the creator of Akira, and the urinal was a giant statue of a multi-armed Shiva Goddess holding a giant urn and...I am seriously not making this up... it actually started to dance as soon as you started to use it and you had to keep swaying from side to side to keep up. Unfortunately, our party was all guys so what went on in the women's room will most likely remain a mystery.   

..I wonder how many puddles there were on the floor from tipsy patrons with a compromised sense of rhythm and aim.

edited December 2019
    kyoto kid said:

..I wonder how many puddles there were on the floor from tipsy patrons with a compromised sense of rhythm and aim.

I honestly don't remember any, but as it was Japan, they probably had a cleaning lady who checked them out every 15 minutes or so.  Because, yeah, that's athe other thing you have to get used to in Japan... even if a restroom is marked as a "Men"s room, the cleaning staff are often female and they don't wait for everyone to leave.     

• Cybersox said:

Again?  Seriously?  I've traveled all over the world and i've never seen a western style toilet that didn't have a lift-up seat... no lid often, but never no seat in any place that has indoor plumbing.  And yet, over the last few years there have been literally dozens of bathroom sets sold at DAZ with toilets that lack that simple basic part.  What in the heck?  Is there some kind of weird censorship going on behind the scenes?  Do these artists all live in areas where they only have the asian styled trench or squat toiltets and think that the western toilet is just some odd piece of impressionist art?  And, most puzzling of all, why doesn't DAZ quaality control ever catch this?           

The simple solution is to not purchase it if it doesn't meet your needs/requirements. I can't speak of what was going through the artist's mind when they were making the product, but I can only assume that, like many other products sold here, they expected the buyer to add some of their own elements.

This is just my opinion going by the promo images for it, but besides the lack of a toilet seat, the shower itself doesn't make much sense. Why use clear glass for it? No fan for all that moist warm air that surely will be going up & out of the shower. The 4th promo image shows the shower doesn't even have a drain. It looks like a flattened sphere with a shiny metal shader applied to it. All-wooden floor like that just isn't a good idea there; especially since there are a lack of floor mats. Overall I would say hardly mediocre at best... Imo, I think someone could do just as good of a job or maybe even better by throwing a bunch of primitives together.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

I've had showers with drains where it's a metal disk with a slot around the sides; where the water goes isn't obvious unless you are really up close.

edited December 2019
    Cybersox said:

The simple solution is to not purchase it if it doesn't meet your needs/requirements.

I wouldn't and won't... however, as I stated this is not a one time thing and it seems to be becoming more common. I'd rather the artiwsts know why I'm not buying something rather than let it continue.  

Cybersox said:

I can't speak of what was going through the artist's mind when they were making the product, but I can only assume that, like many other products sold here, they expected the buyer to add some of their own elements.

Not including shoes with an outfit is one thing, not including the seat and lid on a toilet is another, especially when no one else sells said missing part.  Or do you seriously want to encourage the sale of cars with no wheels or seats next?      

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

guess those paper seat protectors out of the question