Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Ok - tried something daft ...

In both the LAMH About Page (before authorising) and the web page the Serial number is the one supplied by LAMH (pre-filled in the LAMH Abou dialog) and the installation code is the DAZ serial number. Plug both of those into the web form, and just the DAZ serial and actiavtion key from the web form into the LMAH About dialog and all will be well. NOT A INSTINCTIVE PROCESS!

We'll try to streamline it a bit...

Kendall

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,619
    edited December 1969

DAZ just added to the Product Page Notes:

"After purchase, an Installation code will provided in your DAZ 3D account “My Serial Numbers” page.
    After installing and selecting to create a New 'Look At My Hair' Object, you will be prompted to to get an authorization code by entering the shown serial number and installation codes at the link provided. You will then enter the Authorization code where prompted to activate Look At My Hair. "

This will hopefully help new customers to get activation sorted out.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,974
    edited December 1969

It's not so much streamlining as using well known terms for 'something else' - serial number to me is what I see/get in my list of serial numbers - the installation code would be better if it was the LAMH supplied one. Probably too late to change that now though :)

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Has anybody tried using LAMH on the Foxy/Wolfy that got released today? I'd love to know if it makes a decent fur on them...

LAMH looks like an excellent product!

-- Morgan

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited December 1969

While activation can be improved, its still at least 10 hours faster than Infinito was. So I'll give you or Kendall some credit for that. I was happy to see the web interface, granted I didn't know where to get the serial at first. Last time we had to email you and give your our life story(i tease), but now it's a lot simpler.

I do think there is just that one disconnect about where to find the second code, but I am sure you all will resolve that in time.

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

The manual's 'known issues' section says collision detection with the base object is something that is planned for a future update. I'd like to suggest that allowing collision with multiple objects would help a lot. E.g., a figure wearing a hat, the hair shouldn't go through the hat, but be contained by it, and better yet, allowed to follow the inside of the hat down and out like it would in real life. I so rarely use hats in 3D renders, because of the nightmare that is involved in trying to make hair not poke through using a combination of D-Formers and the PGE to hide polygon strands that have poked out.

We can manually cut and comb the hair to try accounting for a hat, but since the hat isn't displayed in the LAMH viewport, this will be a challenge as well, since you have to guestimate where you need to push the hair around.

Thanks

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Has anybody tried using LAMH on the Foxy/Wolfy that got released today? I'd love to know if it makes a decent fur on them...

-- Morgan

I can try it on catgirl, would that be close enough for now? I can't get foxy just yet...

edited December 2012

cwichura said:
    The manual's 'known issues' section says collision detection with the base object is something that is planned for a future update. I'd like to suggest that allowing collision with multiple objects would help a lot. E.g., a figure wearing a hat, the hair shouldn't go through the hat, but be contained by it, and better yet, allowed to follow the inside of the hat down and out like it would in real life. I so rarely use hats in 3D renders, because of the nightmare that is involved in trying to make hair not poke through using a combination of D-Formers and the PGE to hide polygon strands that have poked out.

We can manually cut and comb the hair to try accounting for a hat, but since the hat isn't displayed in the LAMH viewport, this will be a challenge as well, since you have to guestimate where you need to push the hair around.

Thanks

I agree on the points you made. Infact, collision is definitely in our todo list, and also the possibility to add more objects simultaneously to LAMH.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Happy tap dance slows to a stop... Looks around dumbfounded. Umm... I'm so lost now.

1. Am I supposed to have two (2) numbers in my Account or just one (1)?
    2. What is the Number in my Accounts called at Reg time?
    3. Where do I get the other numbers? And What are they and...
    4. Something as simple as reg'ing a Plug-in gets so screwed because people rip stuff off...
    5. I'm ready for the 12/21/12 Mayan End now, this just is not right...

P.S. I really need help, I'm 100% not getting any of this activate steps stuff.

edited December 2012

Jaderail said:
    Happy tap dance slows to a stop... Looks around dumbfounded. Umm... I'm so lost now.

4. Something as simple as reg'ing a Plug-in gets so screwed because people rip stuff off...

Sorry about the confusion on the activation.

1) Go to your DAZ account, "My serial Numbers", and copy the one related to LAMH, which actually we call Installation Code.
    2) start LAMH, and follow the instructions: you'll need to activate on my web site entering the Serial Number displayed in LAMH and the Installation Code.

Take a look also at Page 3 on the manual, that should help, I hope.

Tell me if you make it, otherwise I'll help you directly ( you can also email me at info at alessandromastronardi.com )

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,

-- Morgan

I can try it on catgirl, would that be close enough for now? I can't get foxy just yet...

Sure! I'd imagine that the hair/fur/stuff would behave similarly between the two... I think for a catgirl, you'd use shorter, dense fur, but that'd be an interesting test too!

Thanks muchly, if you get the chance!

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:

Put the number from daz in the 2nd line.

Then go to the website and get the final code. Enter it on the 3rd line.

Kendall

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,182
    edited December 1969

Installed but don't see it in the Window>Tabs fly out to add it into one of the tab collections. Where is it then?

• RhaleRhale Posts: 77
    edited December 1969

They are both called "Serial Number", in the plugin when it is started up the first time, and on the "My Serial Numbers" page of the Daz site. Two different numbers.

It's rather confusing.

• BabsDoProdBabsDoProd Posts: 46
    edited December 1969

Can't wait to try this plugin out! But I do have to ask, what were the animal models used in the promo images? I'm particularly interested in the wolf, fox, and bear. Are they on here somewhere or from one of the other DAZ/Poser content stores?

• SaiyanessSaiyaness Posts: 715
    edited December 1969

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S OUT!! I finally discover it last night and it's released the next day! I'm so excited!!!!!! I love you Allessandro!!! SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!

• Ashfire45Ashfire45 Posts: 126
    edited December 1969

Alright, I'm not putting this up as if it's anything decent, but just wanted to show what I could create without even touching the styling button!

....It made me laugh, it really did. Reminds me of the haircuts in Tekken.

So far, I'm still finding my footing with the LAMH product; I'm not creating anything close to what I want, furred clothes and furs for animals, but...Practise, practise, practise! And helpful tutorials from AM in the future when he's not over whelmed, no doubt. =D

I'm not sure what I've done differently, but this is the only result I've managed to where the fur strands don't look big, clunky and unrealistic. Sort of like the affect transmitted has when it doesn't have the alpha map applied? Terrible description, but it's happening with the Millennium Dog wolf preset I downloaded.

I think it's going to be a bumpy road ahead, with bugging poor AM a lot, but I'll get there!

reality_scene.png
    1600 x 900 - 1M
    edited December 2012

@ Cypherfox, After i feed the dogs I'll try something.

this isn't a great example but I figured I would share my progress. human long hair being exported to OBJ will require a killer rig as AM mentioned a while ago. You really need to keep the hair complexity high for a good quality for humans. Even if DS runs ok with subD hair, your third party software may not. (I subD the hair since its not really that smooth otherwise)

I'm hoping BelovedDalia's anime setup isn't as intense.

But for Fur on animals I think my more modest i5 rig with 8 gigs of ram can handle exporting to obj. The example below is just 2 hair lengths and I think 30k hair pieces. At one point I had my hair points at 5, but not sure how many for this render. I will keep experimenting. Even with just a bit of practice the LE big cat looks a bit better. Each render ran for 30 seconds in Octane, the first is just the cat with no hair, second with hair.

I'm sure tonight I can do better. This us just using the spherize deformer, no styling with the brush at all. Very quick test.

I would look at larger size to see the details better..even if they need a ton of work.

lion_hairless.jpg
    1600 x 715 - 498K
    Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Installed but don't see it in the Window>Tabs fly out to add it into one of the tab collections. Where is it then?

It's under the "Create" Menu.

Kendall

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,440
    edited December 2012

RAMWolff said:

Its on "Create"

EDIT: Oh, never mind. :roll:

Post edited by Soto on
  • riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,405
    edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,

-- Morgan

Sure! I'd imagine that the hair/fur/stuff would behave similarly between the two... I think for a catgirl, you'd use shorter, dense fur, but that'd be an interesting test too!

-- Morgan

This has me wondering. Will the Genesis presets work on any shape, or are they tied to the shape they were originally made for? For example, on the LAMH blog I see a preset for MS Lycan. I don't have that shape (yet), but would it work on, say, Garoul (a Genesis shape I do have)? I realize I could make my own preset (once I have the plugin; gotta see what funds I have left when I finish my Christmas shopping tomorrow), but it would be a big time saver if presets work ok on similar shapes.

edited December 1969

BTW, just as a note. For those using Linux, LAMH does work under Wine. Part of the development occurred there.

Kendall

edited December 1969

riftwitch said:
    Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,

-- Morgan

-- Morgan

This has me wondering. Will the Genesis presets work on any shape, or are they tied to the shape they were originally made for? For example, on the LAMH blog I see a preset for MS Lycan. I don't have that shape (yet), but would it work on, say, Garoul (a Genesis shape I do have)? I realize I could make my own preset (once I have the plugin; gotta see what funds I have left when I finish my Christmas shopping tomorrow), but it would be a big time saver if presets work ok on similar shapes.

The presets will work with any genesis shape -- within reason.

If the facets change position greatly, the hairs will look out of place. I have put regular Genesis presets onto Troll, and Elebeast with little rework.

Kendall

edited December 1969

Again... I need help finding the plugin. It's installed. It's listed and is green so it's in DAZ Studio. It's a plugin so I assume it's got a tabable pane that I can add to the interface. Here is the list, it's not there. Where is it?

Thanks

LAMH-WHERE.jpg
    303 x 676 - 91K
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Again... I need help finding the plugin. It's installed. It's listed and is green so it's in DAZ Studio. It's a plugin so I assume it's got a tabable pane that I can add to the interface. Here is the list, it's not there. Where is it?

Thanks

No Pane for this version. Use the "Create" menu on the main menu bar, and drop down to "New 'Look at my Hair' Object...

After which the interface will appear.

Kendall

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Kendall

Sorry, didn't see your response. Got it activated but agree... it's a royal PITA ... and yes, confusing. WOW.....

edited December 2012

ok so LAMH realy doesn't want to work on geographted pieces on hi res models, it wants base resolution. I saw it in the bug/to fix list that hi res will be supported later. So you will get a warning loading catgirl at the moment, but it does load so will see....

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    RAMWolff said:

Kendall

Sorry, didn't see your response. Got it activated but agree... it's a royal PITA ... and yes, confusing. WOW.....

That's OK. I'm not as flashy as Alex. :-) I tend stay in the background and run support.

Kendall

edited December 2012

ok so LAMH realy doesn't want to work on geographted pieces on hi res models, it wants base resolution. I saw it in the bug/to fix list that hi res will be supported later. So you will get a warning loading catgirl at the moment, but it does load so will see....

LAMH works on both geografted and high-res models. However, a decision was made to use the base res until a certain feature is completed that will make handling High Res figures easier. As you can imagine the number of guide hairs will explode with a high-res figure. I am working furiously on this feature...

:-)

Kendall

Post edited by Kendall Sears on
    edited December 1969

LAMH works on both geografted and high-res models. However, a decision was made to use the base res until a certain feature is completed that will make handling High Res figures easier. As you can imagine the number of guide hairs will explode with a high-res figure. I am working furiously on this feature...

:-)

Kendall

ok good to hear, the warning message and the last page of the PDF made me think otherwise, I'm still letting the process run to see what will happen, I'm still in experimentation mode trying to break the plugin as much as possible so I'm doing just about everything in my power to push the limits.

This discussion has been closed.