[Released] Oso Alien Scenery [Commercial]

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970
edited October 2020 in Daz PA Commercial Products

Welcome to the strange blue forests of Azulia!

This product includes an instanced environment with terrain and a few different material designs, 29 plant props, and the powerful Alienator script.

Alienator gives you the power to easily swap instance sources to any item in your library. You can turn an instanced forest into an Azulian forest, or swap in other plants from your library. You could even swap in other items: create a forest of lamps, or crystals.

While this is particularly powerful with scenes created by UltraScenery, any instanced environment can be transformed with Alienator.

In case it wasn't clear, the promos where the scene is green on the left, that's a composite of the original plants (green) and then the same scene with Azulian plants swapped in. There can be a bit of a judgement call about which plants to use (read the documentation for some guidance).

Post edited by Oso3D on

Comments

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited October 2020

As a big fan of Ultrascenery, this interests me a great deal.  I noticed that many of the promos seemed to be based on Ultrascenes.  

Cheers,

Alex.

Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • Can you describe the Alienator more?  Figuring out what it does seems to be locked in the manual, and I'd have to buy the product first to read that.

Can you describe the Alienator more?  Figuring out what it does seems to be locked in the manual, and I'd have to buy the product first to read that.

What I would like to see are some screen shots of the script.  I've seen some very good and very bad script windows lately. 

Cheers,

Alex.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,882

Can you describe the Alienator more?  Figuring out what it does seems to be locked in the manual, and I'd have to buy the product first to read that.

Alienator is a scirpt which change to instance group parent node to something else that you choose, and update all the instances and instance groups having that prop as a parent to have the new prop as parent instead.

It replaces the parent and place tne new parent in the exact same location.

• UthgardUthgard Posts: 853

This is definitely a day one purchase. The alien forest is nice enough, but the flexibility that the script brings to the table, especially in being able to leverage one's library in Ultrascenery sets without needing to build a new ecology each time, is invaluable--not least of all because it allows one to experiment with crazy ideas that would have been one-time affairs.

edited October 2020

What I would like to see are some screen shots of the script.  I've seen some very good and very bad script windows lately. 

Cheers,

Alex.

here you go!

This is the start screen - where you setup the conversions

When you use a preconfigured set or a set you have made your self and saved, you select that set from the popup menu and all the conversions will be shown in the list.

In the conversion set builder tab you define which props to be replaced by something else, you can select several at once to replace many props with the same.

Predefined prop sets for OSO Alien Scenery's different props can be loaded from the popup menu, and at the bottom is the option "Other..." which means you can pick any props from your runtime and then replace something in the scene with that.

And here that is done....

So, I hope you see how very useful Alienator is!

alienator-1.jpg
    871 x 482 - 33K
    alienator-2.jpg
    871 x 482 - 53K
    alienator-3.jpg
    869 x 483 - 50K
    alienator-4.jpg
    218 x 169 - 6K
    alienator-5.jpg
    869 x 481 - 49K
    Post edited by Totte on
  • thd777thd777 Posts: 934

Awesome set. The script alone would have been worth the price. And the sci-fi plants are the icing on thecake. 
    Very easy to use in my opinion. I just started up the script and went at it without any issues. I made my own preset in a a couple of minutes. 
    super useful to exchange all or some props in an imstanced scene. 
    @oso3d are there any premade presets supposed to be included? I did not see any. Just curious. No big deal in any case I will mostly make my own. 
    ciao

TD

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

I found them a little tricky to develop for sufficiently broad cases; I think it may end up more useful for end users for more specific scenes.

And glad it's working well for you!

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,305

Can you do something like, in a scene with one kind of table and chair instances replace them with a different set of tables and chairs, i.e., specifiy that A2 replaces A1, B2 replaces B1, etc?

edited October 2020
    Sevrin said:

Can you do something like, in a scene with one kind of table and chair instances replace them with a different set of tables and chairs, i.e., specifiy that A2 replaces A1, B2 replaces B1, etc?

Yep. That's exactly what it does. Here is my first try. I generated the landscape with UltraScenery using one of the Pines presets. Then I ran Alienator and replaced the Pine Trees with different versions of Oso's Feather tree and the grass with feather grass and flowers etc. I kept the rocks and pebbles from the original scatter.

Ciao

TD

Blue Planet 1.png
    2000 x 913 - 3M
    Post edited by thd777 on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,017
    edited October 2020

You know I love UltraScenery, so I had to buy this! When I run the alienator script I get these errors in the log and no script interface window.

2020-10-22 01:45:32.761 Loading script: N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/code 66/alienator/alienator.dse
    2020-10-22 01:45:33.062 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\general\dzscript.cpp(1178): Unhandled error while executing script.
    2020-10-22 01:45:33.065 WARNING: QScriptEngine::popContext() doesn't match with pushContext()
    2020-10-22 01:45:33.134 Script executed successfully: N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/code 66/alienator/alienator.dse

I am running DS 4.12.2.6 Public Beta. I have an UltraScenery scene loaded.

I tried again with an UltraScatterPro scene and I had the same problem. Can you help?

Post edited by barbult on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

@thd777 That is amazing!

Love the prop replacement of the Alienator script! Quick test with a USC scene once scattered with tulips and beech trees, replaced with Azulia-related props and Alien Botanicals 2 & 3.

AlienatorTest1.jpg
    1860 x 881 - 2M
    Sevrin said:

You could just choose "Other" as in Totte's 4th screenshot above, and select any prop from your library. That's what I did to replace some of the plants and trees above.

edited October 2020
    barbult said:

You know I love UltraScenery, so I had to buy this! When I run the alienator script I get these errors in the log and no script interface window.

2020-10-22 01:45:32.761 Loading script: N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/code 66/alienator/alienator.dse
    2020-10-22 01:45:33.062 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\general\dzscript.cpp(1178): Unhandled error while executing script.
    2020-10-22 01:45:33.065 WARNING: QScriptEngine::popContext() doesn't match with pushContext()
    2020-10-22 01:45:33.134 Script executed successfully: N:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DIM Library/scripts/code 66/alienator/alienator.dse

I tried again with an UltraScatterPro scene and I had the same problem. Can you help?

I see what I can see from the error report. Nothing I've seen but when I look I might understand it better

The error is thrown from the script Engine not the script itself.
    No GUI sounds like the error occurs while loading the script resources, not executing it.
    Did you install it using DIM at default locations? Or did you install using Connect? Connec sometimes cause issues with scripts

Post edited by Totte on
    Totte said:

Cheers,

Alex.

here you go!

This is the start screen - where you setup the conversions

When you use a preconfigured set or a set you have made your self and saved, you select that set from the popup menu and all the conversions will be shown in the list.

In the conversion set builder tab you define which props to be replaced by something else, you can select several at once to replace many props with the same.

Predefined prop sets for OSO Alien Scenery's different props can be loaded from the popup menu, and at the bottom is the option "Other..." which means you can pick any props from your runtime and then replace something in the scene with that.

And here that is done....

So, I hope you see how very useful Alienator is!

This looks reasonablay intuitive.  My budget for this week is already blown but this will be top of next week's shoping list. 

Thanks,

Alex.

edited October 2020

I can confirm the script works with Connect, though the conversion presets don't seem to be anywhere. Also, I tested it with this product https://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-grass--meadow-worldbuilder but I guess the original grass is much bigger than the one that comes with the Alienator, because the conversion resulted in a very sparse scene. Can anyone think of a workaround for situations like that?

Edit: Manually installing the script sans the props and textures (only the scripts and data folders) still does not show the presets. Am I missing something?

Post edited by Uthgard on
    edited October 2020
    Uthgard said:

I can confirm the script works with Connect, though the conversion presets don't seem to be anywhere. Also, I tested it with this product https://www.daz3d.com/ultimate-grass--meadow-worldbuilder but I guess the original grass is much bigger than the one that comes with the Alienator, because the conversion resulted in a very sparse scene. Can anyone think of a workaround for situations like that?

I would probably just use UltraScatter to add another grass layer to increase the density. 
    That's definitely something to keep in mind, you get the best/most predictable results when the objects you swap in and out are of similar size and shape. 
    ciao

TD

Post edited by thd777 on
    thd777 said:
    Uthgard said:

I would probably just use UltraScatter to add another grass layer to increase the density. 
    That's definitely something to keep in mind, you get the best/most predictable results when the objects you swap in and out are of similar size and shape. 
    ciao

TD

Thanks. Yes, I figured it's either that or manually grouping the replacement props into a group of similar size and merging them into a single prop, if one wants to do a very close conversion.

edited October 2020
    Totte said:

barbult said:

I see what I can see from the error report. Nothing I've seen but when I look I might understand it better

No GUI sounds like the error occurs while loading the script resources, not executing it.
    Did you install it using DIM at default locations? Or did you install using Connect? Connect can be problems sometimes

Any more info in  this?

Post edited by Totte on
    Totte said:
    Totte said:

barbult said:

Did you install it using DIM at default locations? Or did you install using Connect? Connect can be problems sometimes

Any more info in  this?

Yes. I installed with DIM. You can see the content library path in the error message in my original message. A couple times right after starting Daz Studio, I got the interface to come up and swap some files. But after the error occurs, the script will not work again until I restart Daz Studio. Sometimes Daz Studio will not even close after the error, and I have to kill it with the task manager to get it to start again. 

Here is a scenario that seems to cause the error to occur. I am attaching the scene and some screenshots.

1. Start DS.
    2. Open a scene that was built with UltraScatterPro
    3. Run Alienator and swap the objects with Alienator objects (I did not save the set or check enable undo.)
    4. Run Alienator again and the error occurs. The error is visible in the log file.

duf
    duf
    UltraScatter cube on plane surface.duf
    Screenshot 2020-10-22 13.23.08.png
    886 x 499 - 95K
    Screenshot 2020-10-22 13.23.25.png
    886 x 499 - 96K

I'm confused on conversion sets. For my image above where I started with an UltraScenery scene: On the Conversion Sets tab, there are no sets to choose from in the "Select Conversion Set" dropdown. The pdf instructions say "The configured conversion sets are there for you to get a head start" which implies that it comes with conversion sets. Are conversion sets included, such as for specific UltraScenery products?

I use DIM to install everything.

Thank you for making this product!

I can't seem to get any preconfigured selection sets to show up in the dropdown list either. I ran UltraScenery with the default Grasslands 1, but I don't see the preconfigured sets shown in the Alienator manual ( e.g. Azulia Temporate Zone from UltraScenery Base). The dropdown Sets list is empty.

Screenshot 2020-10-22 13.42.04.png
    886 x 499 - 97K

I used DIM to show installed files, to see if I could see where the preconfigured conversion sets got installed, but I can't identify them in the list of files that DIM shows. I did see that Alienator installed some files in data/HowieFarkles/UltraScatter, overwriting the original files that were there. It  was kind of surprising, that Alienator would overwrite files of another PA.

Put this folder into data/BWCTotte/Alienator
    Looks like something went wrong packing somewhere in the line...
    Will solve the Issues.

zip
    zip
    SetData.zip
    edited October 2020

So, I built my own conversion set and saved it. The next time I started DS and opened Alienator, my saved set was not listed in the conversion set drop down either. The list is still empty. Where does my saved set get saved? It didn't give me any choice of where to save it when I saved it.

Edit: I didn't see your message with the zip file before I posted this. Will that solve this issue?

edited October 2020

I added the SetData folder to data/BWCTotte/Alienator. Now the preconfigured sets show in the dropdown list. Thank you for the patch.

I selected Azulia Mixed Zone from UltraScenery Base and applied it to an UltraScenery Grasslands 1 scene. The progress window is at 100% and has been that way for over 5 minutes. Is it still doing something or is it stuck?

Edit: I killed DS with the task manager and started over. I used the Temperate Zone set and it worked. Then I restarted DS and tried Mixed Zone again and it got stuck on 100% again.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

I have sent in an update. I suspect someone saw an empty folder and assumed it was an error.

Oso3D said:

I have sent in an update. I suspect someone saw an empty folder and assumed it was an error.

Is that update to fix the problem that we can't load sets we save, or something else?

barbult said:
    Oso3D said:

Is that update to fix the problem that we can't load sets we save, or something else?

For me the saving and reloading works once I add the "SetData" folder.

TD

Load/Save set failures was due to missing folder SetData in data