UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,046

BlueFox said:

memcneil70 said:

@BlueFox that is a lovely render. 

I immediately popped the swamp into my cart this morning and never having been in a swamp tried a render of one with AM Wild Boar and used Lake 3, Swamp 6, Water Swamp.

@memcneil70 Thank you! I like your image. It has a nice atmosphere. That sky is perfect for this wintry scene, I like that it adds a bit of warmth and happiness to an otherwise rather melancholy landscape. It seems too me that there are some kind of insects flying around, or maybe they are leaves? I am intrigued. ;)

Thank you, yes, there are fireflies, RDNA Scatters Vol 1 - FireFlies. They don't show up that well but I just wanted to add a bit extra in there. No clue if they would be in a swamp or not. :-)

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

memcneil70 said:

BlueFox said:

memcneil70 said:

I immediately popped the swamp into my cart this morning and never having been in a swamp tried a render of one with AM Wild Boar and used Lake 3, Swamp 6, Water Swamp.

@memcneil70 Thank you! I like your image. It has a nice atmosphere. That sky is perfect for this wintry scene, I like that it adds a bit of warmth and happiness to an otherwise rather melancholy landscape. It seems too me that there are some kind of insects flying around, or maybe they are leaves? I am intrigued. ;)

Thank you, yes, there are fireflies, RDNA Scatters Vol 1 - FireFlies. They don't show up that well but I just wanted to add a bit extra in there. No clue if they would be in a swamp or not. :-)

Piping in here, since at first glance I thought the boar was a rock... :)

When I have issues like this, and I don't want to ruin the background lighting, I do one of two things:
    1. Position a ghost light just behind the camera. Nothing extreme, just enough to get the foreground to show up a little more.
    2. Position a reflective surface behind the camera or to the side of it. A little harder to get right, but it can create more natural light. Reflecting the horizon light onto the shadowed side of the boar.

edited March 2021

barbult said:

memcneil70 said:

Wild hogs are also prevalent in Florida, so he fits right in. It is hard to see him in the backlit sunset, though. 

I had thought about lighting him, but justified that in the wild he wouldn't pose with a light set-up. But taking your suggestion to heart I added a Ghost Light to his rear to highlight his coat. And as it rendered, I remembered last week I was out with Bugsy during sunrise and it literally was a 360 degree event of color over Denver.

I had to render essentially twice as it was at 80% when I saw that the rear feet were floating above the ground. So killed the render and adjusted.

Thank you @barbult I always appreciate your feedback.

Lake 3 Swamp 6 Water Swamp AMWildBoar FireFlies Ghost Light Vanilla Sunset.png
    2500 x 1545 - 7M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on

For the future regarding floating feet...  If you have Photoshop or GIMP, you can fix that without having to re-render.

Use the "Clone Stamp" tool to sample an area of the ground. Then brush that area over the gap. It can usually clean up small imperfections, as well as make the boar look more "joined" to the ground.

I run into this a lot and find it hard to toss out an overnight render. :)

Jason Galterio said:

For the future regarding floating feet...  If you have Photoshop or GIMP, you can fix that without having to re-render.

Use the "Clone Stamp" tool to sample an area of the ground. Then brush that area over the gap. It can usually clean up small imperfections, as well as make the boar look more "joined" to the ground.

I run into this a lot and find it hard to toss out an overnight render. :)

Thanks @Jason_Galterio. I have GIMP, not that I use it much. Thankfully this render took just about 15 minutes.  Looked it up 14min 24 secs. What I have to worry about on Dragon, this computer that can do US is that it wants to be rebooted 'a lot'. I have to be careful with checking things in Iray and save often. But this time, the back left hoof looked to be at least inches off of the ground. Not good. 

To you and all the others with renders, I just need to add to the accolades. They are so lovely and inspiring.

Mary

Thank you. Personally its just dogged determination, being too stubborn, and a lot of bad renders. Sooner or later I figure out what I am doing wrong and then fix just a little bit. :)

GIMP can be your friend though. Try taking your two renders into it and layering them, the darker one over the one with the Ghost Light. Then selectively erase the top layer with a 50% opacity eraser, over the boar. You can get the highlights to show up without having to change the overall brightness.

I do duplicate renders all the time and use this method to control the brightness in specifc areas.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,046

memcneil70 said:

I had thought about lighting him, but justified that in the wild he wouldn't pose with a light set-up. But taking your suggestion to heart I added a Ghost Light to his rear to highlight his coat. And as it rendered, I remembered last week I was out with Bugsy during sunrise and it literally was a 360 degree event of color over Denver.

I had to render essentially twice as it was at 80% when I saw that the rear feet were floating above the ground. So killed the render and adjusted.

Thank you @barbult I always appreciate your feedback.

I like the new more visible version. It was worth your extra effort. 

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153
    edited March 2021

Well, I've made my peace with Duckweed once I changed my initial water choice from Swamp to Still Pond.
    This is using Sun-Sky then comping with an HDR that had the retangular conversion.  A bit trickier to hide missing reflections in the water, but that's fixable; just don't have all of my "Comfy Tools" with me at the moment.

Swamp Morning.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by Doc Acme on

Doc Acme said:

Well, I've made my peace with Duckweed once I changed my initial water choice from Swamp to Still Pond.
    This is using Sun-Sky then comping with an HDR that had the retangular conversion.  A bit trickier to hide missing reflections in the water, but that's fixable; just don't have all of my "Comfy Tools" with me at the moment.

Very nice. What did you use for the clouds? That was one of my big issues with Sun-Sky when I did use it.

Jason Galterio said:

Very nice. What did you use for the clouds? That was one of my big issues with Sun-Sky when I did use it.

Thanks. 

Thats accomplished by turning the Dome OFF when you render.  You should see the checkerboard of Transparency when rendered where before you saw the Dome. When that PNG is brought into your Paint/Compositing app, it should recognize that. Just bring in your new layer behind your Daz render.

I've a decent collection of HDR's, but bought the "Above the Clouds" set a while back from these folk: https://www.hdri-hub.com/

Not cheap but considering how often I use it, well spent pennies.

edited March 2021

Doc Acme said:

Jason Galterio said:

Thanks. 

Thats accomplished by turning the Dome OFF when you render.  You should see the checkerboard of Transparency when rendered where before you saw the Dome. When that PNG is brought into your Paint/Compositing app, it should recognize that. Just bring in your new layer behind your Daz render.

I've a decent collection of HDR's, but bought the "Above the Clouds" set a while back from these folk: https://www.hdri-hub.com/

Ah, got it. That's the reason why I don't use Sky / Sun. I miss the diffuse layer that the in DS clouds cause.

This was my experiment today. I decided to try out one of the AtmoCam color sets that I've never had a use for. While I think this experiment reached a dead end, I thought it was still worth sharing.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on

Jason Galterio said:

Doc Acme said:

Jason Galterio said:

Thanks. 

Ah, got it. That's the reason why I don't use Sky / Sun. I miss the diffuse layer that the in DS clouds cause.

This was my experiment today. I decided to try out one of the AtmoCam color sets that I've never had a use for. While I think this experiment reached a dead end, I thought it was still worth sharing.

Gosh, it is like the swamp on fire! 

Doc Acme said:

I think this is the prelude to this image! 

barbult said:

Gosh, it is like the swamp on fire! 

That's what I was thinking. I was curious what "AtmoCam Spectrum" would look like. It's a material setting I've never used before.

The differntiating line is a little too defined, but I can see it being blended with a second image using a different AtmoCam material. The rendering was fairly slow though, so I can't see persuing the idea.

edited March 2021

Here's a 360 degree view of Swamp 5 Bridge 1. Drag it around with your mouse.

TA USC 210207 Swamp 5 Bridge 1 Seed 1 Gray mask on medium and small trees 360 Camera-gigapixel-width-4096px.jpg
    4096 x 2048 - 8M
    Post edited by barbult on

That is impressive. Thank you for sharing.

Jason Galterio said:

Adds another element certainly.  When ya can, I wouldn't mind a brief ABCer on getting the basics set up.

I'm glad you liked it!

Doc Acme said:

Jason Galterio said:

Adds another element certainly.  When ya can, I wouldn't mind a brief ABCer on getting the basics set up.

There are multiple instructions for 360 degree images floating around. Here is one. I used the 360 camera in Small World Camera, because I own it and it is convenient, but it is not needed at all. Remember to set your render aspect ration to 2:1.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,087

Jason Galterio said:

Doc Acme said:

Jason Galterio said:

Thanks. 

looks like many of my early teen taken colour photos where there was light leakage in the camera wink

barbult said:

Doc Acme said:

Jason Galterio said:

There are multiple instructions for 360 degree images floating around. Here is one. I used the 360 camera in Small World Camera, because I own it and it is convenient, but it is not needed at all. Remember to set your render aspect ration to 2:1.

Thanks.  I've bookmarked that for fututre ref.

Doc Acme said:

barbult said:

Doc Acme said:

Jason Galterio said:

Thanks.  I've bookmarked that for fututre ref.

Hmm. I bought Small World on sale as a curiosity, but never really used it. Now you have me wanting to give it a try. The VR view was a use that I had not even considered. I admit that I'm a numbskull and probably missed the forest for the trees there.

Hopefully I am not spamming the thread with images. I try to keep to posting only one a day...  However, this thread has been the source of endless inspiration for me, so I'd like to do my part to keep it going. :)

In my DAZ gallery for this image I posted a somewhat detailed walk through of what I did to accomplish this one. I won't go into a bunch of extra detail here.

The big accomplishment was incorporating a TerraDome 3 terrain with an UltraScenery terrain. Normally I only use TD3's "B Terrain" which is the distant landscape structures. This time I wanted to use an "A Terrain" and see if the two would play nice together.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,348

Lovely renders here since I last visited.

Of course I nabbed the new Swamp product as soon as it hit the shop. Today I had time to try it out. (Nothing fancy yet - I guess need to dig out my 'gators!)

USC-Swamp-A.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 697K
    USC-Swamp-B.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 811K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,750

barbult said:

Here is my gator hunting swamp render. There are no alligators in the image. They must be hiding from the hunters.

Really like this image!.  Bring back memories.  On a trip down to Florida,  we rented one of these airboats for an hour, after a ten minute crash course on how to pilot it. Certainly had a chance to see the more scenic side of area south of Orlando that day.

• gitika1gitika1 Posts: 948

I frequently experience the same with US.  A render is partially done and I look closer to find that part or all of the animal is floating.  I wishlisted this: https://www.daz3d.com/face-to-face-and-virtual-origins thinking it would help.  Unfortunately, It's name didn't grab my attention when it was first released, or I may have purchased it that week.  There have been so many pose products lately, that my brain went that way rather than thinking face-to-face, aka surface-to-surface. frown

gitika1 said:

I frequently experience the same with US.  A render is partially done and I look closer to find that part or all of the animal is floating.  I wishlisted this: https://www.daz3d.com/face-to-face-and-virtual-origins thinking it would help.  Unfortunately, It's name didn't grab my attention when it was first released, or I may have purchased it that week.  There have been so many pose products lately, that my brain went that way rather than thinking face-to-face, aka surface-to-surface. frown

I have used that product to successfully place people and animals on the UltraScene terrain. There are some videos posted in the commercial thread to explain how to use the product. I found that I needed to watch those to figure it out. 

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

Howie's new set, landscape features volume 3, has just hit the store. I've not had time to download andi install it yet (I'm about to start work)  but it looks like there are several scenes that would work well with Tango Alpha's swamps. 

Cheers,

Alex.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

I am very confused about the difference between Volume 2 and Volume 3. They seem like the same product?

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,849

Leonides02 said:

I am very confused about the difference between Volume 2 and Volume 3. They seem like the same product?

How? The kind of waterways they provide are very different.

This discussion has been closed.