UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562

barbult said:

Jason Galterio said:

Greybro said:

Seems like the site had a hiccup and double posted that.

I have intermittently had this problem when installing different add ons using DIM. That answer I found was to uninstall all of the US products and reinstall them all at one time. Also make sure that you are installing to the same product directory for all of the items.

Lastly, make sure that you've installed any of the required non-US products. I try to install those to the same directory as US just to be safe.

In my experience, UltraScenery will only look for features and ecologies in one place, not in each of your mapped content directories, so this makes some sense. I'm not sure what than one place is. Is it the first mapped content directory, or is it the content directory containing the UltraScenery script?

Because it was happening to me so often I went to an extreme and created a product directory just for US, it's Add ons, and the required extra items. I haven't had an issue since then.

Now that I said that...  the next update will break my installation. :)

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,838

that was interesting. tried to copy the ultrascenery ..or EDIT/DUPLICATE ... it created a fatal error and DS closed. I'm going to try it again to see what happens. Of course I didn;t save the scene, but I think I can redo it easy enough

nope..that doesn't work...just kept churning and churning..i closed the program. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,044

daveso said:

that was interesting. tried to copy the ultrascenery ..or EDIT/DUPLICATE ... it created a fatal error and DS closed. I'm going to try it again to see what happens. Of course I didn;t save the scene, but I think I can redo it easy enough

That works OK for me. It can take several minutes to Edit/Duplicate/Duplicate Node Hierarchies. I just do Edit/Duplicate/Node(s), which duplicates just the UltraScene node. Then I select that UltraScene(2) node and run UltraScenery to rebuild it with the Accelerator. That takes less than a minute.

barbult said:

daveso said:

That works OK for me. It can take several minutes to Edit/Duplicate/Duplicate Node Hierarchies. I just do Edit/Duplicate/Node(s), which duplicates just the UltraScene node. Then I select that UltraScene(2) node and run UltraScenery to rebuild it with the Accelerator. That takes less than a minute.

wow..well I must be doing something wrong :)  The second one was churning 15 minutes when I closed DAZ.  

edited March 2021

something wrong with either DS 4.15 or US ... just set up a scene... hit render...its been sitting at 24 seconds for 45 minutes. I clicked it and the no response came up..with the twiling circle. Tried to cancel render and the program popped up a close box. 
    I'll try to grab the error log. The only thing new is the UltraScenery - Features Volume 3

This is the last entry from the log ... 2021-03-28 10:03:18.187 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [FATAL] - API:MEMORY :: Memory allocation failed.

There are other errors within the section since the US script was launched as well, but the entire thing is quite long maybe to post here. What i see though, is that DS actually restarted following this error .... You can see this started the render around 10am ..the restart occured at 11:16, so it was hung for quite some time. 

2021-03-28 10:03:18.187 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [FATAL] - API:MEMORY :: Memory allocation failed.
    2021-03-28 11:16:28.767 +++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.15.0.2 starting +++++++++++++++++
    2021-03-28 11:16:28.767 Performing cleanup...
    2021-03-28 11:16:28.767 Release Cycle: General Release
    2021-03-28 11:16:28.767 Platform bits: 64

Here is the section when the script started

2021-03-28 09:58:08.713 Loading script: D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DAZ 3D Library/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ultrascenecreator.dse
    2021-03-28 09:58:10.433 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): curl_easy_perform(https://cdn.daz3d.com/file/dazcdn/p/11/80611/meta/80611_a1e45f_data.json) failed: HTTP response code said error
    2021-03-28 09:58:10.433 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): TaskLoadProductDataWeb (80611) failed, url: https://cdn.daz3d.com/file/dazcdn/p/11/80611/meta/80611_a1e45f_data.json
    2021-03-28 09:58:10.708 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): curl_easy_perform(https://cdn.daz3d.com/file/dazcdn/p/41/71741/meta/71741_ee6420_data.json) failed: HTTP response code said error
    2021-03-28 09:58:10.708 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): TaskLoadProductDataWeb (71741) failed, url: https://cdn.daz3d.com/file/dazcdn/p/41/71741/meta/71741_ee6420_data.json
    2021-03-28 09:58:12.195 Updated metadata for 2 of 4 items.
    2021-03-28 09:58:12.195 Updated metadata for 3 of 4 items.
    2021-03-28 09:58:42.159 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): curl_easy_perform(https://cdn.daz3d.com/file/dazcdn/p/31/64931/meta/64931_4b07a4_data.json) failed: HTTP response code said error
    2021-03-28 09:58:42.159 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(178): TaskLoadProductDataWeb (64931) failed, url: https://cdn.daz3d.com/file/dazcdn/p/31/64931/meta/64931_4b07a4_data.json
    2021-03-28 09:58:42.159 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\cloud\dzcloudtasknotifier.cpp(660): sync completed with errors, 1 items succeeded, 3 items failed.
    2021-03-28 09:58:42.167 Metadata update failed: 1 items succeeded, 3 items failed.

warning during file load

2021-03-28 09:59:08.727 Loaded file: USC Grass Patch 02.duf
    2021-03-28 09:59:15.214 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\general\dzcontentmgr.cpp(2657): Invalid filename passed to DzContentMgr::openFile()
    2021-03-28 09:59:15.219 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\sdksource\elements\dznode.cpp(3097): A node cannot be added to itself in DzNode::addNodeChild()

2021-03-28 09:59:30.905 Script executed successfully: D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/My DAZ 3D Library/environments/landscapes/ultrascenery/ultrascenecreator.dse
    2021-03-28 10:02:44.332 WARNING: QColor::setRgb: RGB parameters out of range

the complete leading up to fatal error

2021-03-28 10:03:07.609 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating geometry.
    2021-03-28 10:03:07.610 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Updating motion transforms.
    2021-03-28 10:03:07.611 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Importing scene graph.
    2021-03-28 10:03:07.612 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Importing geometry for motion time 0
    2021-03-28 10:03:18.187 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(359): Iray [FATAL] - API:MEMORY :: Memory allocation failed.
    2021-03-28 11:16:28.767 +++++++++++++++ DAZ Studio 4.15.0.2 starting +++++++++++++++++

Post edited by daveso on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,348
    edited March 2021

Thank you, alexhcowley

Wow, Fishtales, that's one long render (I get bored after about 30 minutes and disguise the speckles in Photoshop)

A couple more today from me:

First is Waterways 9 feature with Swamp 3 ecology (I think that boat might be about to take out the tree - or maybe it will get Suez-style stuck)

Second is Stream 1 feature with Oaks 5 ecology (yes, I picked up that hobbit-y bundle on Friday)

USC-Waterways9-Swamp3.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 748K
    USC-Stream1-Oaks5.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 730K
    Post edited by MelanieL on

MelanieL said:

Thank you, alexhcowley

Wow, Fishtales, that's one long render (I get bored after about 30 minutes and disguise the speckles in Photoshop)

First is Waterways 9 feature with Swamp 3 ecology (I think that boat might be about to take out the tree - or maybe it will get Suez-style stuck)

Second is Stream 1 feature with Oaks 5 ecology (yes, I picked up that hobbit-y bundle on Friday)

very nice. especially like the walking one.  

You are logged in inside Daz Studio. Some of those errors are caused by Daz Studio trying to update metadata. It makes the log too confusing to understand what messages came from what problem. If you are installing content with DIM, you do NOT need to log in from Daz Studio. It might cause you to accidently install content with Daz Connect again, and you know what we went through to fix that!

1. Log out from Daz Studio and work offline.
    2. Change your preferences so Daz studio does NOT automatically log you in every time you restart Daz Studio.
    3. Exit Daz Studio
    4. Restart Daz Studio
    5. Run UltraScenery
    6. Select No Features
    7. Select Grassland 1
    8. Render

Does that simple scenario work?

MelanieL said:

Thank you, alexhcowley

Suez-style! laugh Both are very nice. Yes, I agree, the walking one has great appeal.

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,348

Thank you, daveso and  barbult

barbult said:

You are logged in inside Daz Studio. Some of those errors are caused by Daz Studio trying to update metadata. It makes the log too confusing to understand what messages came from what problem. If you are installing content with DIM, you do NOT need to log in from Daz Studio. It might cause you to accidently install content with Daz Connect again, and you know what we went through to fix that!

2. Change your preferences so Daz studio does NOT automatically log you in every time you restart Daz Studio.
    3. Exit Daz Studio
    4. Restart Daz Studio
    5. Run UltraScenery
    6. Select No Features
    7. Select Grassland 1
    8. Render

thanks again :) I have very short memory. Speaking of memory, the optimation was set to auto as well.  

daveso said:

barbult said:

3. Exit Daz Studio
    4. Restart Daz Studio
    5. Run UltraScenery
    6. Select No Features
    7. Select Grassland 1
    8. Render

thanks again :) I have very short memory. Speaking of memory, the optimation was set to auto as well.  

I have a trick for that... I noticed that a lot of HDR skies and other light presets change settings that I wouldn't expect them to. Resulting in some of the unexpected behavior that you're seeing.

I saved off a bunch of render pre-sets: Memory Optimization, Canvas settings, Render dimensions, Filtering, etc etc.

I assigned these presets to a set of Favorites on my menu bar. Now every time I go to render, I quickly click through them to make sure I am not disappointed later. I boiled them down to the lowest variables just in case there were times when I might not want to change the image dimensions or turn off filtering.

i have  a tendency to not check settings after adding stuff. The light set I was using was changing the optimization in render setting to "speed". Once I have this to "memory" its working. slamming my head into wal for over a day now, and even after realizing it was set to auto at the beginning, I still missed the fact render settings within lights can change it to whatever. I have created a startup file with the optimization set to memory, but even that is no surefire way to have it correct. Too bad it can;t be made to stay that way until or if you want to change it. 

daveso said:

i have  a tendency to not check settings after adding stuff. The light set I was using was changing the optimization in render setting to "speed". Once I have this to "memory" its working. slamming my head into wal for over a day now, and even after realizing it was set to auto at the beginning, I still missed the fact render settings within lights can change it to whatever. I have created a startup file with the optimization set to memory, but even that is no surefire way to have it correct. Too bad it can;t be made to stay that way until or if you want to change it. 

I do that all the time. Along with merging scenes and forgetting about the new way the render settings are handled. I spent hours setting up lighting in a scene. Then merged in a G8F that I had seperated in order to do the cloth / hair simulation...  and wham, hours of work gone.

The worst is letting a render go overnight then realizing that the last sky I inserted turned off the Cavvases and I forgot to check.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,046

When using US or dForce hairs (animals) I have to remember double checking for memory, no Iray preview, and this morning, make sure I reset my pointer away from the Node Tool setting which caused the Dire Wolf's hair to raise up off his body, so I hid it, loaded more to the body. Then tried to render. Black screen. Nvidia card not accessed by the program. I finally twigged to what I had done to myself, deleted the extra hairs, got my pointer on to another setting, saved the file and was able to do a test render again. But it took me over three hours to get lighting fixed, the wolf fixed, and to modify a top for a character in the screen. A total of four hours and it will be a minimum of two hours rendering. And that was a do over. All because I had to use Mesh Grabber to fix a pants leg I hadn't seen poke through on last night. 

On a positive note, I was able to do a successful US render on my laptop using the Public Build 4.15.0.14! It has a Nvidia 1080 card, but struggles with UltraScenery. So I have had to use the desktop computer before this.

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 763
    edited March 2021

Doc Acme said:

AnEye4Art said:

Same setup / different camera positions in the scene: I have narrowed down the trouble spot to the circle in the below picture. Why that one boardwalk, though?

Take a look at the surfaces, particularly the Spec Roughness...

Thank you. I will do that but I am considering a refund.

Post edited by AnEye4Art on
    edited March 2021

After a whole lot of DS lockups, caused by my lack of paying attention, I got out a render. Ducks and Reeds ... a bit of post. 

ducks and reeds1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 763

I like it, Daveso - it's simple, moody and peaceful.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493
    edited March 2021

Jason Galterio said:

barbult said:

Jason Galterio said:

Greybro said:

I have intermittently had this problem when installing different add ons using DIM. That answer I found was to uninstall all of the US products and reinstall them all at one time. Also make sure that you are installing to the same product directory for all of the items.

Lastly, make sure that you've installed any of the required non-US products. I try to install those to the same directory as US just to be safe.

In my experience, UltraScenery will only look for features and ecologies in one place, not in each of your mapped content directories, so this makes some sense. I'm not sure what than one place is. Is it the first mapped content directory, or is it the content directory containing the UltraScenery script?

Because it was happening to me so often I went to an extreme and created a product directory just for US, it's Add ons, and the required extra items. I haven't had an issue since then.

Sounds like the best way to go might be uninstalling all US content and addons with connect, then manually installing them into their own runtime and adding that runtime via content manager? Is that about right? I scarcely ever use DIM because of mixed results. I do see in the linked article it says to use DIM. Maybe I should try that first to follow the letter of the instructions.

UPDATED: That seemed to do the trick though all these products show the little update needed icon in smart content. All the addons show in the interface now and I'm about to run some tests. Thanks for the suggestions, Ya'll.

Post edited by Greybro on

Greybro said:

Jason Galterio said:

barbult said:

Jason Galterio said:

Greybro said:

Sounds like the best way to go might be uninstalling all US content and addons with connect, then manually installing them into their own runtime and adding that runtime via content manager? Is that about right? I scarcely ever use DIM because of mixed results. I do see in the linked article it says to use DIM. Maybe I should try that first to follow the letter of the instructions.

Definitely uninstall all UltraScenery stuff from Daz Connect. I have installed UltraScenery to my normal content directory with DIM and it works fine.

edited March 2021

Greybro said:

Jason Galterio said:

barbult said:

Jason Galterio said:

Greybro said:

UPDATED: That seemed to do the trick though all these products show the little update needed icon in smart content. All the addons show in the interface now and I'm about to run some tests. Thanks for the suggestions, Ya'll.

That little icon you see says that the product is AVAILABLE in Daz Connect. It does not mean anything about an update or that you need to install it with Daz Connect. DO NOT INSTALL FROM DAZ CONNECT after you have already installed some other way.

Read this and save your sanity.

Post edited by barbult on
  • GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,493

"That little icon you see says that the product is AVAILABLE in Daz Connect. It does not mean anything about an update or that you need to install it with Daz Connect. "

Roger that.

barbult said:

Greybro said:

Jason Galterio said:

barbult said:

Jason Galterio said:

Greybro said:

That little icon you see says that the product is AVAILABLE in Daz Connect. It does not mean anything about an update or that you need to install it with Daz Connect. DO NOT INSTALL FROM DAZ CONNECT after you have already installed some other way.

Read this and save your sanity.

yep. Thanks to barbult my installion works ... correctly. No my installing DAZ Connect for me.  

edited March 2021

Quack 2

It feels so good to get back into ultrascenery. 

How to make ripples behind and around the ducks, or any object in the water,?

2 ducks.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by daveso on

daveso said:

Quack 2

Nice colors! Did you post process or were you able to get that contrast out of DS?

Jason Galterio said:

daveso said:

Quack 2

Nice colors! Did you post process or were you able to get that contrast out of DS?

the colors were close , but yes, post work done on it. here is original  

white reeds ducks2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Nice way to get back on your feet.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153
    edited March 2021

Well now. Them buggies come out at night too it seems!

Question?

Why would a seemingly thick wooden dock have a translucency setting of .5?

When I started picking this cam angle apart, I realized I was seeing silhouettes reflected on the water.

This is more what it should look like...

Bad Dock.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 137K
    Good Dock No Translucency.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 71K
    Post edited by Doc Acme on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

daveso said:

Quack 2

Nice image! For ripples, SickleYield made Ripples and Wakes Iray. In postwork, Ron's Rain and Water Effects.

This discussion has been closed.