UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

mcorr said:

Doc Acme said:

markusmatern said:

Doc Acme said:

Well,... Armed with that info & a lot of I-really-don't-know-what-the-????-I'm-doing, I decided to try a bit of testing.  I exported the terrain (and some of the noninstanced stones came along) out as OBJ.  I did some simple massaging of a spot I'd already marked earlier to level it out some for the structure.  I had to remember to NOT just save but to Export back out as an OBJ.

Anyway, after a few surface copy & pastings, & name and parent swapping, I managed to fool USC it seems & it cheerfully reran the script & used my new terraformed geometry.

As Mr Sulu might say: "Ooooo!" Opens some new posibilties.

Really like the Bates house in your scernery.

It was a very pleasant find from another thread.  Free model that frankly rivals much that's being sold. It's in a DUF format so only need to drop into your My DAZ 3D Library folder. Very nicely laid out under Props.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ao1mDuQEVoFBgqNogOE66-qCFBpAtg?e=3HDzn1

It would be great to know the exact procedure you used to fool USC into accepting your new obj terrainand remapping the vegetation props unto it. Could you please share that with us?

A few messages later I posted a follow up.  Yes, I was able to swap out the terrain, but if you do a rebuild the terrain gets altered back.  USC is doing the terrain forming on the fly each script run.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,540
    edited August 2021

I did a little model using US, a very old High Fantasy Bridge, some rocks to form a gorge, the Harpwood trees and an elven look character & clothing. Posed the character and ran a simulation on the clothing separately to the US scene, then merged the models and ran the render. Quite pleased with the result.

High Fantasy Bridge 02b R02.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 431K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,044

richardandtracy said:

I did a little model using US, a very old High Fantasy Bridge, some rocks to form a gorge, the Harpwood trees and an elven look character & clothing. Posed the character and ran a simulation on the clothing separately to the US scene, then merged the models and ran the render. Quite pleased with the result.

That looks like all the pieces were made together to document a real place in our world! Great work. 

And thank you for pointing out that bridge, I put it on wish list and in a few days it was back available, and I was able to get it.  

Mary

• Thanks, Mary. I know the bridge is very long in the tooth, but with a bit of work tweaking the shaders and trying to use the iRay Uber shader with bump, normals, a bit of specularity and displacement all generated from the original maps using Materialize, it seems to work remarkably well.

Would like to see your results with the bridge. It is very distinctive, so that may reduce its possible uses, but it is perfect for dreamy settings.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,044

It may be awhile for me to play with it. I have been having crashes even with simple tests on both of my computers. Very aggravating, especially when time is limited now for Daz. But it is there waiting for me to tackle. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,038

DoctorJellybean said:

It has been a while since I played with US. I wanted to do a night time scene, which is a bit tricky as one can't see much in the dark.

That's a really interesting picture. The swamp makes a good backdrop. The guy peeking out from inside is an interesting element. I find the flag hair kind of distracting, though.
    Post some more of your creations.You always have intriguing stuff.

edited August 2021

I've been talking over in my Experiments thread about combining my road and railroad features in to an RR crossing feature. My aha moment was when I realized I could use Iray decals to add details to the UltraScenery terrain. Here are a few of my RR Crossing feature renders.

Edit: Oh, isn't that great! Daz lost all my uploads for this message and now I have to upload them again.

BV RR Crossing 01 With Iray Decals.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
    BV RR Crossing 01 With Decals and Signs Woodland 5_003 SOx2_Camera (3).jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 4M
    USC Pines 1 BV RR Crossing 01 with train and cars_001_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    TAO 5 BV RR Crossing 01 with train and cars_BCam River 2 S PS.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited August 2021

I've been playing with an island feature and DA Big Ocean. WARNING the render presets in DA Big Ocean reset the Instancing Optimization to Speed, which crashes Daz Studio with UltraScenery. I am embarrassed to say that I spent hours trying to figure out why Daz Studio was crashing. I thought the Big Ocean was just to big for my 6 GB graphics card. That wasn't the problem at all. Finally I discovered that the Instancing Optimization was being reset. I hate product render settings that change EVERYTHING. They should set only what they need to set, like specific HDRI or Sun-Sky settings and tone mapping. I don't want them resetting my filter choices, optimization choices, number of iterations, time to render, etc. Grrrrr. After this discovery, I was mad enough to edit all of the render settings files to remove some of those settings for the presets, so this doesn't happen to me again! All that aside, DA Big Ocean is a neat product and I like it. I found a forum thread that explains some of the mystery about how to use it, which helped a lot.

DA Big Ocean Daz BV Tropical 4 Sand_005_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    DA Big Ocean Daz BV Tropical 4 Sand_005_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    DA Big Ocean Daz BV Tropical 4 Island SOx4 Sunset Bloom_Camera 1 PS.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • hacsarthacsart Posts: 2,025
    edited August 2021

latest US scene...

ultrascenery_dh89l_3.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 1M
    Post edited by hacsart on

barbult said:

I've been playing with an island feature and DA Big Ocean. WARNING the render presets in DA Big Ocean reset the Instancing Optimization to Speed, which crashes Daz Studio with UltraScenery. I am embarrassed to say that I spent hours trying to figure out why Daz Studio was crashing. I thought the Big Ocean was just to big for my 6 GB graphics card. That wasn't the problem at all. Finally I discovered that the Instancing Optimization was being reset. I hate product render settings that change EVERYTHING. They should set only what they need to set, like specific HDRI or Sun-Sky settings and tone mapping. I don't want them resetting my filter choices, optimization choices, number of iterations, time to render, etc. Grrrrr. After this discovery, I was mad enough to edit all of the render settings files to remove some of those settings for the presets, so this doesn't happen to me again! All that aside, DA Big Ocean is a neat product and I like it. I found a forum thread that explains some of the mystery about how to use it, which helped a lot.

Nice stuff there.

I've had the Big Ocean for some time, but never got it to co-operate. Time to get inspired.

Really appreciate the reset warning.  Hope that (and a number of other issues of course) are addressed in the next release.

• barbult said:

Your renders and experiments are just fab, especially with the road and railroad features. Way too many experiments for me to try laugh

I love the lighting of the 2nd island render. As for the stranded sailor, the gap in the waves at the front doesn't look quite right. I've never seen breaking waves leaving a gap like that smiley

• Something quick

• barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

It has been a while since I played with US. I wanted to do a night time scene, which is a bit tricky as one can't see much in the dark.

That's a really interesting picture. The swamp makes a good backdrop. The guy peeking out from inside is an interesting element. I find the flag hair kind of distracting, though.

Thank you. Hopefully this one is less distracting.

edited August 2021

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Thank you. Hopefully this one is less distracting.

I do like the new one better, not that you have to render to please me laugh

I had noticed that gap, too. Now, I rotated the displacement on the waves by 0.008 (one of the included controls in the surface settings of the ocean plane). What do you think? Better?

DA Big Ocean Daz BV Tropical 4 Sand_006_Camera 1.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
  • barbult said:

I had noticed that gap, too. Now, I rotated the displacement on the waves by 0.008 (one of the included controls in the surface settings of the ocean plane). What do you think? Better?

Much better smiley

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Has anybody tried to increase scale of UltraScenery generated terrain?

I have tried to scale it up to 200% to cover more of the scene and when I have hit render button Daz Studio just crashed.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,540
    edited August 2021
    Did you have an eye on RAM & VRAM usage with gpu-z when you did that? It might be informative, and possibly tell you more than we can. Doubling the size gives quadrupole the area and even with instances DS must run out of RAM at some point.
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 761

Artini said:

I have tried to scale it up to 200% to cover more of the scene and when I have hit render button Daz Studio just crashed.

Seems like daz does not handle massive amounts of geometry well. Heck I am still struggling to get world creator terrains effectively into daz and I am using a titan rtx with 24gb. 

edited August 2021

Over in the experiments thread, Doctor Jellybean asked about creating a bare flat area for a gazebo. I experimented with it and then did some more images today.

USC gazebo on the hill_003_Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 1M
    USC gazebo on the hill_004 SOx2_Camera in gazebo.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
    USC gazebo on the hill_004 SOx2_001_Default Camera.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 3M
  • Absolutely amazing. Simply cannot get over the flexibility of US, or the way you are stretching it ever further.

Regards,

Richard

• @barbult: Real nice indeed and well done smiley

richardandtracy said:

Did you have an eye on RAM & VRAM usage with gpu-z when you did that? It might be informative, and possibly tell you more than we can. Doubling the size gives quadrupole the area and even with instances DS must run out of RAM at some point.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have forgotten to check VRAM usage. Will switch to Unity, where memory is better handled, even for large terrains.

AnEye4Art said:

Artini said:

Seems like daz does not handle massive amounts of geometry well. Heck I am still struggling to get world creator terrains effectively into daz and I am using a titan rtx with 24gb. 

My graphics card has only 8GB of VRAM, so I just need to remember that all the time, while using Daz Studio.

• 'Only' 8Gb...When you look at many games, that'll be much more than enough... Seems ridiculous how much of a VRAM hog DS can be. A colleague bought a brand new gaming laptop today that will be easily adequate for all the games he knows of (he plays 3-5 hours nightly and rarely fails to get games on the day of release), and that will have a 'tiny' laptop version of the 3060 with only 6Gb... [wander off shaking head]

Regards,

Richard.

edited August 2021

richardandtracy said:

'Only' 8Gb...When you look at many games, that'll be much more than enough... Seems ridiculous how much of a VRAM hog DS can be. A colleague bought a brand new gaming laptop today that will be easily adequate for all the games he knows of (he plays 3-5 hours nightly and rarely fails to get games on the day of release), and that will have a 'tiny' laptop version of the 3060 with only 6Gb... [wander off shaking head]

Regards,

Richard.

Yes, I know, how lucky I am, to have Nvidia graphics card with 8 GB VRAM.

In Unity I can render on it in real time (60 FPS or more) a very big terrains (more than 30 x 30 km)

together with hundreads of different characters without a problem.

With advanced billboard solutions in Unity, it is even possible to render animated thousands of characters together

with a very advanced and detailed environments.

The quality of the renders in Unity improves all the time.

So for now, I use Daz Studio: for single characters renders and exports with Daz to Unity bridge.

I use Unity for anything else.

Post edited by Artini on
  • GoggerGogger Posts: 2,382
    edited August 2021

This is an image I just tossed together half paying attention so don't know the exact details, but NW Pines with trail and I ended up re-running US and leaving out the ferns which overly dominated the scene (like, as if that could be a real thing! In general, ferns are awesome!) But the real point of this post is the lighting - I used the light setup from Predatron's Bluebell Wood and wanted to emphasize that it is very rewarding to think outside the box and color outside the lines in UltraScenery!  There are several 'outside-like' light sources included with Bluebell Wood and they are unlike anything else I've used in UltraScenery.  Bluebell Wood is one of the very few DAZ items I (recently) paid full price for - I usually wait for some sort of sale or coupon, but needed BW for something else. If I had known the lighting from BW would be SO AWESOME I would have picked it up sooner!

I edited a little in Photoshop, and rendered with some Depth of Field in the render camera.

Still having loads of fun with UltraScenery after all this time. It just never gets old for me!

DS_Rocks_Pines_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    3440 x 1440 - 1M
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    That's beautiful, @Gogger! Way to go on the lighting experiment! I've added it to my wishlist.
  • AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 761
    edited August 2021

Very fairytale-like, @Gogger. It's great but a little cottage in the distance with puffs of smoke coming from its chimney would be awesome.  

Post edited by AnEye4Art on

A couple of weeks ago, discovered that the Stones Features set don't, or rather are limited to where user height maps in the first panel can respond.  The terrain, yes but the stones are fixed. So, I decided to see what I could work with.  If ya can't beat 'em, ...

One thing I was missing was a proper bridge, something I'm more accustom to seeing anyway.  Well, it just demonstrates that all search engines are certainly not created equal.  There's a site I pull models from occasionally.  Searched on Bridge, Trestle, Railroad,... nope. Somehow I hit with Timber Trestle.  Not 100% (main vertical timbers would be round) but for this, just fine.  Found some shaders that looked like Creosote & was set. Still had to twiddle some things in Lightwave, but not too bad.  In DS, had to do separate parenting so I could fine tune the scale on all the players sizes individually.  Daz models were fine, but the trestle was over 2.5 Km initially.  It's parented to a positioning Null, and other things of differing scale are parented to it, etc.

Forced me to do some actual surfacing on a blank OBJ, but now I've a decent workflow.

TrestleOne.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    GullyCamTrestle.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,831
    edited August 2021

Doc Acme said:

Somehow I hit with Timber Trestle.  Not 100% (main vertical timbers would be round) but for this, just fine.  Found some shaders that looked like Creosote & was set. Still had to twiddle some things in Lightwave, but not too bad. 

That trestle looks awesome in Ultrascenery. great job with it! 

Post edited by RGcincy on
This discussion has been closed.