UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Doc Acme: Great work finding and using that trestle!
  • Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

RGcincy said:

Doc Acme said:

Somehow I hit with Timber Trestle.  Not 100% (main vertical timbers would be round) but for this, just fine.  Found some shaders that looked like Creosote & was set. Still had to twiddle some things in Lightwave, but not too bad. 

That trestle looks awesome in Ultrascenery. great job with it! 

Thanks.  I 'spect it'll be showing up again.

A friend (Dad of Barlow, shown some postings above), is a railroad historian & sent me some some ref shots. I'd have to get really ambitious, but not an imposibility.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,038

Lots of nice images in the last few days! Bridges, trestles, dinos, float planes, new lighting... UltraScenery is still amazing.

• I think we are all still learning how to make best use of US. Much of that learning is because of your experiments & the write ups, barbult, for which I for one am very greatful. Thanks.

Regards,

Richard

• UltraScenery need waterfalls!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378

DoctorJellybean said:

UltraScenery need waterfalls!

I suggested this a while back.  A terrain with a waterfall at one end, a pool beneath it, and a river leading away from the base.  

Cheers,

Alex. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Waterfall (realistic) is a big challenge in 3D and it is not easy to achieve.

• Artini said:

Waterfall ... is not easy to achieve.

Just one question. How easy is US to achieve? I suspect the more difficult bit has been created already. May be wrong, but I don't think so.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,971

They are both difficult, but they are two unrelated very difficult tasks. That UltraScenery exists doesn't make a waterfall easier to achieve.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

It has been a while since I played with US. I wanted to do a night time scene, which is a bit tricky as one can't see much in the dark.

That's a really interesting picture. The swamp makes a good backdrop. The guy peeking out from inside is an interesting element. I find the flag hair kind of distracting, though.
    Post some more of your creations.You always have intriguing stuff.

Thank you. Hopefully this one is less distracting.

umm so is it my imagination or does the guy inside have bullet holes in his shirt?

• Oso3D said:

They are both difficult, but they are two unrelated very difficult tasks. That UltraScenery exists doesn't make a waterfall easier to achieve.

I do realise that the creation of US to date helps not one wit in creating a waterfall. However, when one nearly miraculous event has occurred, it raises confidence that a second is possible.

• carrie58 said:

umm so is it my imagination or does the guy inside have bullet holes in his shirt?

It does appear so laugh

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

If you wish to see, what waterfalls are already possible to render in Unity, take a look at:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/514516/water-related-renders-and-animations-from-unity#latest

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Waterfalls are possible with Fluidos ( https://www.daz3d.com/fluidos-ii-for-daz-studio--lite-edition ) - Alberto has a dedicated preset for sale @ Rendo. The terrain doesn't look like much in that one, but if you check out the animated water, it's impressive. Imagine it with an UltraScenery terrain... https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/bcs/fluidos-presets-terrace-waterfalls/143014/
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,971

The big problem with waterfalls is that a fluid sim doesn't... exactly work, at least for a significant fall. There's so much spray and foam and so on it's more like a gas sim? Something.

• Oso3D, I do agree to a large extent. I have the same problems with my fluid simulations for work (not a large part of the stress engineer's side of my work, but I occasionally have to analyse designs incorporating fluids). When I started doing Finite Element simulation work at the start of my career in the late '80's and early '90's fluid simulation was a pipe dream. Then mid '90's it appeared and was heralded as the 'thing', then in short order its limitations were found and fluid simulation, particularly gas-liquid free surface simulation, got a really bad rep in the analysis community. Since then, things have become less bad, but free surface analysis performance still does not seem to match the hype of the mid 1990's.

Regards,

Richard.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,395
    edited August 2021

I used Alienator Pro to swap some of the daisies with the Bromeliad from the Mossy Hollow Botanica set.

Many thanks to Wee Dangerous John who kindly created the fishing rod stand for me.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited August 2021
    Oso3D,

What you're talking about is called whitewater. It's generally simulated using particles born at the right moments. Fluidos handles it pretty well for an affordable tool. Or do you mean you'd watched the promo video and found it not convincing for the needs of our community?

richardandtracy,

There is a certain difference between fluid sims for engineering and for VFX. Contemporary VFX uses fluid simulation a lot. Houdini is one of the software packages famous for its simulation tools.

PS - edits due to the forums on mobile requiring manual html tagging for paragraph breaks even

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on

DoctorJellybean said:

I used Alienator Pro to swap some of the daisies with the Bromeliad from the Mossy Hollow Botanica set.

Many thanks to Wee Dangerous John who kindly created the fishing rod stand for me.

I'm always amazed at how much interesting stuff you can get into your scenes. How did you create the nice rocky ground near the water? Did you scatter some extra rocks or use a different ground object?

• barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

I'm always amazed at how much interesting stuff you can get into your scenes. How did you create the nice rocky ground near the water? Did you scatter some extra rocks or use a different ground object?

Thank you. I love kitbashing.

I didn't do anything extra. I used the Lake 2 feature and Pacific NW 5 ecology, deleted some River Grass and Base Grass Layer instances to display the bare rocky ground.

DoctorJellybean said:

barbult said:

DoctorJellybean said:

Thank you. I love kitbashing.

I didn't do anything extra. I used the Lake 2 feature and Pacific NW 5 ecology, deleted some River Grass and Base Grass Layer instances to display the bare rocky ground.

Thanks for the explanation. Your technique was very effective.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 795

Is 16gb of RAM enough to easily use UltraScenery?

• lukon100 said:

I would think so, yes. Just don't use Iray Preview, it will slow everything right down due to the instances.

Tip: When you have created your scene, open the Render Settings pane,select the Editor tab and make sure that Instancing Optimization is set to Auto. Sometimes it changes, depends on what you have added.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 795

DoctorJellybean said:

lukon100 said:

I would think so, yes. Just don't use Iray Preview, it will slow everything right down due to the instances.

Tip: When you have created your scene, open the Render Settings pane,select the Editor tab and make sure that Instancing Optimization is set to Auto. Sometimes it changes, depends on what you have added.

Thanks for the info, DJbean.

Oi. I think I will pass on getting UltraScenrey then. Having to compose my scene without the benifit of iRay viewport seems difficult to me.

• You can compose the scene, and do test renders to see how things are looking. It is not just UltraScenery, anything which makes intensive use if instances.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,044

lukon100 said:

DoctorJellybean said:

lukon100 said:

Oi. I think I will pass on getting UltraScenrey then. Having to compose my scene without the benifit of iRay viewport seems difficult to me.

I have to get around that, because I too like to check it out in Iray preview. I do small 300pxl renders after saving with version numbers, moving towards where I need the lighting and stuff to go. My best computer for US likes to crash if I stress it too much. It has become a grumpy old fart that way. 

It's an issue even with decent system specs frankly.  But, you learn to make use of other tricks.  I'm made a presets of cameras for USC as starters as well as a Sun-Sky enviro. Learning to use Parent/Unparent, In Place vs. Not to move cameras and items, nulls, etc.around is vital.  Use of the Left AND Right mouse button functions for centering, ...

Set up a small Aux view in a different Draw mode often helps.  I always do an IRay frame render to check things.  Spot renders are fine, but take nearly as long to start showing something.

I'm sure several of the real pros here have some other tricks.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,352

lukon100 said:

DoctorJellybean said:

lukon100 said:

I get round this by hiding all the small stuff, the grass, river rocks etc ie anything with 1000+ instances, but leaving the trees visible. I then switch on Iray preview and it works just fine, allowing me to position the lights, sun sky etc so that the lighting looks good. You need to leave the trees visible as they are the ones that could obscure the camera, or cast shadows where you may not want them. You don't need to see the grass, small rocks etc when just composing the scene. You then just unhide the lot before hitting render. Since Ultrascenery collects each type of plant into a separate group, making them invisible is just one mouse click for each.

DoctorJellybean said:

I really like the water/rocks transition.  Is that from the shader being discussed a few weeks back?

• Doc Acme said:

DoctorJellybean said:

I really like the water/rocks transition.  Is that from the shader being discussed a few weeks back?

Thank you.

No, no shaders applied. I just removed the grass on top of the rocks to see the water better from that angle.

This discussion has been closed.