UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 738

Thanks @barbult, I was more thinking of using the props from the Ground Decals  or Liquid Decal with these shaders to create a specific look in an area of your US scene. You are correct that if applied to a terrain without limitation they could produce nuwanted effects.

https://www.daz3d.com/ground-decal-materials

https://www.daz3d.com/liquid-decal-materials

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,020

Tugpsx said:

Thanks @barbult, I was more thinking of using the props from the Ground Decals  or Liquid Decal with these shaders to create a specific look in an area of your US scene. You are correct that if applied to a terrain without limitation they could produce nuwanted effects.

https://www.daz3d.com/ground-decal-materials

https://www.daz3d.com/liquid-decal-materials

Oh, that is a good shader usage idea. I have modified decals from the two packs you mentioned by using image maps from a different shader package. It works. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

As a follow up to the previous discussion of applying a shader to the entire UltraScenery terrain, it can have a positive effect of giving you access to shader options like displacement, glossy, roughness, reflection, etc. which are not part of the USC custom shader. [Even the normal maps that are part of the USC custom shader are ignored for the most part. Only one is actually used; I think it is Base Layer Normal, but it might be Groundcover Layer Normal, I don't remember for sure.] So there can be a benefit of applying another shader to the USC terrain, as long as you can live with all surfaces being identical. If you choose to use a shader with displacement, you will need to use a fairly high surface SubD to see the results on the huge USC terrain.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,817
    edited August 2022

test- was experimenting with 360 photos, but it does not work in the forum. Works in Facebook. Not sure where else. 

Post edited by daveso on
  • alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,378
    edited August 2022

The tropics bundle has been released into the wild!

https://www.daz3d.com/tropical-botanica--bundle

Cheers,

Alex. 

Post edited by alexhcowley on
  • memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,043

And in my cart.

edited August 2022

I've fed the latest five ecologies into my tame Excel spreadsheet and there are now barely 67,524 possible combinations of ecology, landscape features and water shaders.  

Ecologies    102
    Water Textures    15

Water Features   43
    Land Only Features   17
    Total Features   60

Water Combinations   65790
    Land Only Combinations    1734
    Total Combinations    67524

As always, this is if you use the products straight out of the box. If you start tinkering around with the two toolboxes, the hedgmaker or go full @barbult and hack into the json files, the possibilities become almost literally endless.

Cheers,

Alex.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,335
    edited August 2022

First render project with the new Tropics bundle. It's done strictly for laughs so the cheese factor is high. I don't have any practical use for a tropical setting, but of course I have to make sure my USC collection is complete. (That's a smidge of USXT in the blurry background.)

Cheese.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 994K
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
    edited August 2022

Tugpsx said:

Anyone tried the Woodland Floor Iray Shaders with USC or USXT?

https://www.daz3d.com/woodland-floor-iray-shaders

I gave it a shot. Here's a stock trail through one of the Woodland ecologies:

Here's a version where I draped a plane over part of the trail and applied one of the Woodland Floor Iray Shaders. Objects like the leaves appear on top, just like the stock surface. This shader has numerous variations, but they're all either a bit dark or shiny for my taste - not sure how to tinker with them to tone that down.

StockMat.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    ShaderMat.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M

@paulawp thanks for testing. I bought it also but have not played with the product yet since the new release of Octane has OCIO and ACES support that became my focus for now.

BTW the new version works great with USXT. 

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344

Looks interesting, @paulawp

Would be interesting to find out, how to use trail/road map as a mask for the plane

to use woodland floor shaders only on the trail.

Tugpsx said:

@paulawp thanks for testing. I bought it also but have not played with the product yet since the new release of Octane has OCIO and ACES support that became my focus for now.

BTW the new version works great with USXT. 

I use ACES support in Unity pretty often.

Would be interesting to see your results from Octane, as well.

• I picked up the tropical bundle for completeness also. Neither of my computers could handle it. The scenes loaded all right, but then everything locked up. I'm sending it back and seeing if I can get Alienator Pro to do a jungle for me, maybe on a swamp ecology.

edited August 2022

The closest I lived in a Tropical environment was Taiwan, and I am not a fan of humidity plus heat, plus bugs. But I bought the bundle and tried it out on my computer with a 1080Ti, 64Gb, and didn't have any issues. Other than no clue what it 'should' look like it. Not anything wonderful like barbult will post but I was happy.

It has been so long I had been on Daz, I had to remember to check I was on Memory and Iray was off. So I avoided freezing.

US Tropics 1.png
    1000 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by memcneil70 on

That's lovely, Mary.

Thank you @barbult. That means a lot to me.

And after trying the train tracks in UltraScenery, you have my highest commendations! I spent so much time trying to line the pesky things up on a slight curve, to just find the connections were off again when I did a test render. The final render I held my breath on and am still not sure I got it. You are a genius.

Mary

memcneil70 said:

Thank you @barbult. That means a lot to me.

And after trying the train tracks in UltraScenery, you have my highest commendations! I spent so much time trying to line the pesky things up on a slight curve, to just find the connections were off again when I did a test render. The final render I held my breath on and am still not sure I got it. You are a genius.

Mary

No, I struggled just like you.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Took the tropics for a spin...

edited August 2022

Oso3D said:

Took the tropics for a spin...

Will,

Fantastic atmosphere. And the kitten is quite impresive, too!

Cheers,

Alex.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Great tropics renders, @memcneil70 and @Oso3D! Oso3D, really like the ground fog. What product did you use?

This is a quick render of tropics 5 stream 1.

USCTropics5Stream1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M

Thannk you @dawnblade and I think your render is excellent also. Just hope there are no mosquitos.

@Oso3D, wow, the fog is great. You have a story lead framed up nicely there.

Mary

edited August 2022

Strictly for atmosphere.

LastLight.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 979K
    edited August 2022

More Tropics, but something with a little more plot than the last one ... 

TheCrossing.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 874K

Great renders, everyone.

Anyone grabbed build-your-own-tropical-climbing-plant-bundle and if so, how are they much different from the recent set?

Looks like combining these with the grounds could be great.

https://www.daz3d.com/build-your-own-tropical-climbing-plant-bundle

• Tugpsx said:

Anyone grabbed build-your-own-tropical-climbing-plant-bundle and if so, how are they much different from the recent set?

I have that on my wishlist. I haven't bought anything in a few days, but next time I do, I will get it and I'll try it out. 

• MartinjfrostMartinjfrost Posts: 353
    edited August 2022

Tugpsx said:

That was indeed the idea. When i created this and a lot of the other tropical plants in collections i made sure to use simelar textures ( though simplified a bit in some cases) and lower resolution models but based upon the same or simelar so that the palms, climbers and other tropics would integrate in to the Ultrascenery tropical sets. The same applies to the palms and trees in the ultrascenery XT bundle, they should all tone in and blend nicely so that your back ground, (xt) Forground (Ultrascenery) and hero plants from the individual bundles will look like they have been growing together forever. 

In fact you can see the tropics bundle in the background ( and tropics xt too for that matter) here using one of the wetland features in ultrascenery

Another couple of bundles of mine that directly integrate but with much higher resolution versions are the Tropical Palm Trees For Daz Studio  and the recenmtly released Tropical Palms Vol 2 - Dwarf and small Palm Trees 

My Idea behind the selection of, and look of the plants in the Ultrascenery Tropical bundles was to provide lower resolution plants that combined well with the high res ones already in my catalgoue, so that scenes with hundreds or thousands of them could be created without blowing up your computer! Some were based on exisiting plants, some are new species entirley but may well have a bundle of Hero plants added to my catalgue later.   Howie then added some new materals for the stones and created some forest giant trees too so that you have a great selection of plants that builds on what is already available and helps you create a fuller scene. 

Post edited by Martinjfrost on
  • Anyone else run into performance issues with US after the recent update? I haven't actually used it in a while (too involved with other things), but I did download and install an update recently. Previously, with the accelerator, I was able to generate a basic scene in 30-60 seconds. Today, it's taking 6+ minutes, and Daz Studio is never quite right afterward -- almost completely unresponsive. It seems to cycle through stretches of unresponsiveness every 30 seconds or so.

I updated my video driver, restarted DS, and confirmed instancing optimization is set to memory. Still no good. I'll try restarting my computer, too, but I was curious if anyone else started seeing issues where there weren't any before.

Tim

No, I haven't seen any performance decrease. Are there any clues in your DS log file?
  • barbult said:

No, I haven't seen any performance decrease. Are there any clues in your DS log file?

Not really. The only thing that looks a bit unusual is that when USC starts, there are a lot of these repeated....

2022-09-02 14:29:57.272 [INFO] :: Temp Data:
    2022-09-02 14:29:57.272 [INFO] :: Location = C:/Users/xxx/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp/UltraSceneryTmp
    2022-09-02 14:29:57.273 [INFO] :: Disk Total: 1.8 TB (1999605067776)
    2022-09-02 14:29:57.273 [INFO] :: Disk Avail: 1.1 TB (1302999977984)

Didn't actually count them, but there are certainly more than 50.

I'm using the latest DS 4.20.1.58 Public Build (Beta). I have similar log entries:

2022-09-02 22:14:21.795 [INFO] :: Temp Data:
    2022-09-02 22:14:21.795 [INFO] ::     Location = C:/Users/Barb/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4 Public Build/temp/UltraSceneryTmp
    2022-09-02 22:14:21.795 [INFO] ::     Disk Total: 1.8 TB (1999247101952)
    2022-09-02 22:14:21.795 [INFO] ::     Disk Avail: 1.5 TB (1693503807488)

If I shut down DS and restart it and immediately build _No Features with Grassland 01, I get 12 of those entries, but the total elapsed time is 3 seconds for them. The whole build was about 12 seconds.

I don't know what those log entries indicate that UltraScenery is doing at that time. It appears that Daz has added a lot of extra logging data in 4.20.

If you build start DS fresh and build _No Features and Grassland 01, capture the log file and see if you can figure what step in the process is taking so much time.

This discussion has been closed.