UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• lou_harperlou_harper Posts: 1,162

I usually just do the skies with stock photos. I should pick up volumetric clouds.

Imo, my winter scene is okay, not perfect. The Snow type on the ground and the trees don't quite match. I totally see why it would be hard to do a complete snow cover type of add-on for UltraScenery. Something with hoarfrost should be possible though.

• Doc AcmeDoc Acme Posts: 1,153

Those winter scenes look great.

Has anyone experimented with Materia and UltraScenery?

https://www.daz3d.com/materia-meshmaker-plug-in-for-daz-studio

Must be the season for tree felling. My house mate's brother took out a 60-70' fir for us a couple weeks back. Thing is, we're In Beaverton, Orygun; he and his nephew drove from Idaho. That morning. Did the task in 2 hours. Cut the bottom section of the trunk into 20' sections & loaded them into a horse trailer to take back & saw into planks. Then drove back; couldn't even buy them lunch.

A friend in Eugene had to pay $2400 the same weekend to take a fir out, but it had to be craned.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,335
    edited September 2022

Doc Acme said:

Must be the season for tree felling. My house mate's brother took out a 60-70' fir for us a couple weeks back. Thing is, we're In Beaverton, Orygun; he and his nephew drove from Idaho. That morning. Did the task in 2 hours. Cut the bottom section of the trunk into 20' sections & loaded them into a horse trailer to take back & saw into planks. Then drove back; couldn't even buy them lunch.

A friend in Eugene had to pay $2400 the same weekend to take a fir out, but it had to be craned.

I'll give it a go if it shows up at a bit lower price. What I've done in this one produces a nice untouched snow base but can't do blobs. I do have Marsa Elements, which can provide for nice snow dusting and covering of tangible things with geometry, but the scene I did here is literally just USC and a plane.

Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 9,344
    edited September 2022

Doc Acme said:

I see, you are living in an interesting place. Take a pictures, to have them as a reference.

You could create some nice scenes with UltraScenery, then.

Post edited by Artini on
  • I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but Ultrascene Toolbox doesn't appear to work if you move the Ultrascenery object.

Specifically the Mask Builder seems to rely on the US remaining at 0,0,0 in order to correctly build the mask.

Doc Acme said:

When my neighbors had several trees cut down, it was done from the top down. Men with chainsaws climbed the tree, chopped off branches, then chunks of the trunk. It was an all weekend affair.

Mesmaker should work for snow. I wonder though if it would cover up the roads too.

Jason Galterio said:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but Ultrascene Toolbox doesn't appear to work if you move the Ultrascenery object.

Specifically the Mask Builder seems to rely on the US remaining at 0,0,0 in order to correctly build the mask.

That is true. You need to move your camera instead. 

• lou_harper said:

Jason Galterio said:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up already, but Ultrascene Toolbox doesn't appear to work if you move the Ultrascenery object.

Which doesn't really work if you are using US in conjunction with USXT.

I'm fixing it by backing everything up and working on the US terrain before moving it. Seems the only way to avoid a littany of errors that are occuring.

One error created a US landscape that looked like something out of Dali's nightmares... a melted landscape with trees shooting out in random directions.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,887

Jason Galterio said:

lou_harper said:

Jason Galterio said:

I'm fixing it by backing everything up and working on the US terrain before moving it. Seems the only way to avoid a littany of errors that are occuring.

One error created a US landscape that looked like something out of Dali's nightmares... a melted landscape with trees shooting out in random directions.

Move the US XT instead of the US scene items.. 

• Totte said:

Jason Galterio said:

lou_harper said:

Jason Galterio said:

Move the US XT instead of the US scene items.. 

I second this. I use USXT for backgrounds in lots of things (not just USC) .. I create the foregound how I want it, add USXT, and move that whereever it needs to be to achieve what I wanted. 

• Okay, I think I didn't make my point correctly.

I was saying that this was an issue to be aware of BEFORE composing a scene.

I was not. Everything was working fine. I was well on my way to finishing my scene when I realized I needed to regenerate the US layout. That's when everything went haywire, because I didn't know in advance there was an issue.

I then spent an hour or so troubleshooting trying to figure out where things went sideways. My first thought was that the US Tools were focusing on the USXT because it was higher in the scene order.

I was bringing it up so other people can avoid what I ran into.

What I need to do now is generate the US in its own scene, tweak it at 0,0,0, then merge and move it to where I need it to be. Moving the USXT won't work for a number of different reasons.

• paulawp (marahzen) said:

Hey everyone, Ultrascenery Paths up on the store tonight:

UltraScenery Road Works - Road and Path Materials for Ultrascenery Terrains | Daz 3D

Bought and installed smiley

Anybody knows, if they works also for UltraSceneryXT?

• Artini said:

Anybody knows, if they works also for UltraSceneryXT?

I dont think they will unless it uses the exact same layered shader and is named the same way as ultrascenery. Roads in XT is a good idea though.  

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,347

Well this encouraged me to make my first purchase of the PA sale so far! I'm looking forward to using it.

• paulawp (marahzen)paulawp (marahzen) Posts: 1,335
    edited September 2022

OK, this is one using one of the new path textures. I also threw in Martin's "Blowing in the Wind - Petals and Leaves," magnolia petals, which is out there as a freebie this week.

I have had to set the textures manually on some scenes, including this one. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, as I have had it work as expected on some scenes, but it's not hard to do manually so it's not a big deal.

Magnolias.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M
    Post edited by paulawp (marahzen) on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 738

Nice image Paula, great use of the asset. Will have to play with someof these new toys I have acquired. i keep buying assets and not getting around to using them.

• paulawp (marahzen) said:

OK, this is one using one of the new path textures. I also threw in Martin's "Blowing in the Wind - Petals and Leaves," magnolia petals, which is out there as a freebie this week.

I have had to set the textures manually on some scenes, including this one. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, as I have had it work as expected on some scenes, but it's not hard to do manually so it's not a big deal.

Lovely work, and i really like the narrow path you made, i assume that is customised? It makes it look very realistic.  

• Martinjfrost said:

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Lovely work, and i really like the narrow path you made, i assume that is customised? It makes it look very realistic.  

This was Walking Trail 1 / Oaks 5 featuring liberal replacement of stock trees with Magnolia trees using Alienator (which I had but had never used before). If the road/path script doesn't recognize "trails" then that would explain why it didn't seem to be updating this scene. No worries - I figured out how to update the items manually.

• Hey all. New UltraScenery user here. I'm going through all the forum threads about UltraScenery to learn all I can, but I have one question I'd like to pose if you don't mind. I checked my inventory and confirmed that I have Bramble, Blackberry and Briar Plants for Daz Studio and Iray and I want to be able to add it in with the Pacific Northwest ecologies. I know I have to edit something in the ecologies files (can't remember what they're actually called) but I could use some advice on how, and I'd love to hear Howie's thought on the correct way to set up their affinities. I'd also like to add in the tall ferns I remember from my childhood home in Washington, just east of Puget Sound. I have not been able to find modes of such ferns, nor do I know exactly what their species name is. I'd model them myself, if I could search for the right kind of examples.

So, yeah, that's all I wanted to throw out there at the moment. I'm really loving UltraScenery and XT! Gonna go back to playing with it now. Check back with you all in a bit.  

• avmorgan said:

Hey all. New UltraScenery user here. I'm going through all the forum threads about UltraScenery to learn all I can, but I have one question I'd like to pose if you don't mind. I checked my inventory and confirmed that I have Bramble, Blackberry and Briar Plants for Daz Studio and Iray and I want to be able to add it in with the Pacific Northwest ecologies. I know I have to edit something in the ecologies files (can't remember what they're actually called) but I could use some advice on how, and I'd love to hear Howie's thought on the correct way to set up their affinities. I'd also like to add in the tall ferns I remember from my childhood home in Washington, just east of Puget Sound. I have not been able to find modes of such ferns, nor do I know exactly what their species name is. I'd model them myself, if I could search for the right kind of examples.

So, yeah, that's all I wanted to throw out there at the moment. I'm really loving UltraScenery and XT! Gonna go back to playing with it now. Check back with you all in a bit.  

Check out Barbults experiments thread. I'm convinced she knows more about Ultrascenery than Howie does!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/408551/ultrascenery-experiments-and-experiences/p1

Cheers,

Alex. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,020

alexhcowley said:

avmorgan said:

Hey all. New UltraScenery user here. I'm going through all the forum threads about UltraScenery to learn all I can, but I have one question I'd like to pose if you don't mind. I checked my inventory and confirmed that I have Bramble, Blackberry and Briar Plants for Daz Studio and Iray and I want to be able to add it in with the Pacific Northwest ecologies. I know I have to edit something in the ecologies files (can't remember what they're actually called) but I could use some advice on how, and I'd love to hear Howie's thought on the correct way to set up their affinities. I'd also like to add in the tall ferns I remember from my childhood home in Washington, just east of Puget Sound. I have not been able to find modes of such ferns, nor do I know exactly what their species name is. I'd model them myself, if I could search for the right kind of examples.

Check out Barbults experiments thread. I'm convinced she knows more about Ultrascenery than Howie does!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/408551/ultrascenery-experiments-and-experiences/p1

Cheers,

Alex.

No, I just spend more time writing about it. laughHe's busy making new stuff.

Alienator Pro and the UltraScenery Toolbox products are also good ways to modify an UltraScene. But if you want to create an ecology with props from another product, and use that ecology over and over in UltraSceneCreator, then you need to edit json files. My thread that Alex linked has examples to follow. I wrote that early on and made some mistakes and discoveries along the way, which I documented in the write up. Skim through it to get an idea of where I went wrong, so you can avoid the same pitfalls.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 8,387
    edited September 2022

Thanks to @barbult for explaining how to create a flat terrain. Only the terrain, base and verge grass from USC were used.

Posted in my gallery as well.

Dutch.png
    1822 x 1126 - 4M
    Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,020
    edited September 2022

DoctorJellybean said:

Thanks to @barbult for explaining how to create a flat terrain. Only the terrain, base and verge grass from USC were used.

Posted in my gallery as well.

Naughty dog!
    But nice tulips! Reminds me of Lisse.

Post edited by barbult on

Very nice composition, @DoctorJellybean

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,540
    edited September 2022

Here is a slightly different take on US Pacific Northwest and USXT. The exhaust heat haze was added with GIMP in post.

Character: CHB Milan. Flitter bike was a freebie by PAMAWO over on Renderosity. Not sure if it's still available.

Regards,

Richard.

Milan 05 R03a.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 973K
    Post edited by richardandtracy on
  • alexhcowley said:

Cheers,

Alex. 

Howie might agree with that, maybe. Funny if he did.

• Does anyone know if you can have two US in the same scene?

• barbult said:

alexhcowley said:

avmorgan said:

Cheers,

Alex.

No, I just spend more time writing about it. laughHe's busy making new stuff.

Alienator Pro and the UltraScenery Toolbox products are also good ways to modify an UltraScene. But if you want to create an ecology with props from another product, and use that ecology over and over in UltraSceneCreator, then you need to edit json files. My thread that Alex linked has examples to follow. I wrote that early on and made some mistakes and discoveries along the way, which I documented in the write up. Skim through it to get an idea of where I went wrong, so you can avoid the same pitfalls.

I have the first Toolbox, maybe I've got Alienator (if not it's on my wishlist), so I've got that partilly covered. I'll have to double check. I appreciate the link to the json editing post, as well as the effort that went into creating and updating it. I'll do my best, though it's been a minute since I did anything with json. I'll probably fare better than I expect to do with Daz scripting. 

Thanks for the replies! 

This discussion has been closed.