UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,043

I am starting to think UltraScenery and all its add-ons need a college level semester course to explore all its options, goodies, foilbles and tricks. Then a second semester course that looks at barbult, artini, and totti's discoveries.

I hope UltraScenery survives the 21st. That will be a deal breaker for me.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,020

Also be aware that if you have a browser open, like Firefox, with a lot of tabs, that will gobble GPU memory. It is tempting to surf the Daz forums while waiting for a render, but it is not a good idea if you are close to using up your GPU memory. I surf on my phone instead.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,043

That is what an old iMac from 2012 is good for. Scanning the forums, while newer computers work hard.

• memcneil70 said:

I am starting to think UltraScenery and all its add-ons need a college level semester course to explore all its options, goodies, foilbles and tricks. Then a second semester course that looks at barbult, artini, and totti's discoveries.

I hope UltraScenery survives the 21st. That will be a deal breaker for me.

If DAZ Studio 5 is annouced on the 21st, Howie has already committed himself to upgrading all the "Ultra" products to run under the new version.

Cheers,

Alex. 

• AnEye4ArtAnEye4Art Posts: 761
    edited September 2022

I think Daz will announce on the 21st that Fall has arrived. But on another note, I have been tinkering with worldcreator 2022.3 beta and it now supports terrains as high as 32K.

World Creator.PNG
    2560 x 1040 - 5M
    Post edited by AnEye4Art on
  • Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,234

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

lorraineopua said:

I've been on an Ultrascenery buying binge...have only the Tango Alpha Country Ford And Apple Orchard and the new rock materials left in my wishlist. I also got UltrasceneryXT and its water materials as well. Well set up now with my new 3060 card to have a lot of fun. Just need to be reunited with my computer and she'll be jake!

I am jealous lorraineopua... You have lots more than I do... I can't wait to see some of your work... I think we are allowed to post here... No one has said not to... ;)  I'm curious to see how your 3060 does... I have a 3070 and Ultrascenery is still taxing my system... Not sure if it's just me or my patience is getting thinner these days.  I don't like renders that take more than an hour or two to finish... I thought my card would be faster... But I'm playing a little more (which takes time if my 'tests' take an hour or two to render).  The masks seem to help get rid of unwanted foilage.  I'll play some more and post when I can.

If you are rendering from just one camera view, you can limit UltraScenery to build vegetation that is only in that camera view. The selection is on the Build tab. 

It shouldn't take hours to render UltraScenery on a 3000 series graphics card. Have you added so much other stuff to the scene that it is falling back to CPU and not even rendering in the graphics card? Is Instancing Optimization set to Memory in your Render Settings (Auto is probably OK, but Speed is not)?

Thank you... I am still trying to read through all the pages of this and your UltraScenery forum threads... I am late to getting this product and finding time to 'test' as I can... Winter will be here shortly and I will be home more to try it out.  

My horse scene indeed had the SPEED as default... I have since changed it and am now re-rendering it with MEMORY set.  I am going to have to watch that as I think Daz default is speed. 

I will try another scene with the horses and try your camera view suggestion.  I wasn't sure if it's just me or my patience not being what it was when I was younger... lol. 

FYI.. I have never been one to leave windows open on my computer... When I work on Daz I turn off the internet stuff so Daz is the only thing running.  I have also learned to not have Daz in Iray Preview mode... I'm using OUTLINE mode when I render... I pick up little tidbits now and then to speed up my renders.. so I am trying... I'll let you know how it goes :) 

I think the Daz default render setting for Instancing Optimization is Auto, unless you are using a real old version. If you apply a render preset, it may set things to whatever it wants, so, yes, you have to keep an eye on it.

edited September 2022

ok.. This sucks... I set Optimization to MEMORY (as suggested) and it took almost 2 hours to render the same horse scene I did earlier.  With SPEED the scene was 33minute render and 94percent done... :(  and.. it's not nearly as nice... Lots of specklies (in the water) in this one :(

I can see I have more testing to do..

ULTRA SCENERY wMyLargeMask TESThorse 2hour render DONE.png
    1024 x 1024 - 2M
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
  • Llola Lane said:

ok.. This sucks... I set Optimization to MEMORY (as suggested) and it took almost 2 hours to render the same horse scene I did earlier.  With SPEED the scene was 33minute render and 94percent done... :(  and.. it's not nearly as nice... Lots of specklies (in the water) in this one :(

Something is amiss here. I just whipped up a quick test of three Daz horses (with base textures from the original Daz 2 horse, nothing fancy), on one of the USC Desert ecologies, with a stream, using the USC Late Morning preset. It takes around a minute to render. I defer to the pros already on this thread, if they have better ideas, but I am really curious what is in your log corresponding to this render.

simplehorsetest.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 1M

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Llola Lane said:

Something is amiss here. I just whipped up a quick test of three Daz horses (with base textures from the original Daz 2 horse, nothing fancy), on one of the USC Desert ecologies, with a stream, using the USC Late Morning preset. It takes around a minute to render. I defer to the pros already on this thread, if they have better ideas, but I am really curious what is in your log corresponding to this render.

ughh... How do i find the log?  I know i'm missing something...probably simple too... but I can't figure it out... With my monster Nvidia card renders SHOULD be quicker... ughh... Would it help if I post my file to see what others get for a time???  

duf
    duf
    ULTRASCENERY wMy Large Mask TEST horse.duf
    2M

Question... seems to me i read somewhere that if i have a Nvidia card it's not supposed to be rendering with OPEN GL... am I remembering correctly? 

OPEN GL Nvidia Card.jpg
    478 x 428 - 39K
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 738

Go to Nvidia site and download GeForce Experience or the latest driver

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/

You will get an Nvidia control panel where you can adjust the settings for Daz.

I have a 13+ year old PC with only 16GB RAM, AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1075T Processor   3.00  with Nvidia 360ti 12GB most of my renders are under a few minutes.

You can also try turning of CPU render so only GPU is used to see if that helps.

I don't own the HDRI your scene used. My render used the default HDRI RuinsB-500 instead. Your scene rendered in under 4 minutes on a 3080 and used a little over 4 GB of GPU memory. It should fit on your GPU just fine and render in a few minutes, unless the HDRI you chose is extremely poorly implemented.

1. You can find the log in the menus Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File.Don't copy and paste the info here. Save the file and attach it instead.
    2. Do you have your GPU checked for use in Render Settings on the Advanced tab? If not, it won't be used. Attach a screenshot of your Render Settings Advanced tab.
    3. As a test, delete that HDRI from your scene and either use the default HDRI or the render preset that comes with UltraScenery.
    UltraScenery Horse Image.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 877K
    edited September 2022

barbult said:

I don't own the HDRI your scene used. My render used the default HDRI RuinsB-500 instead. Your scene rendered in under 4 minutes on a 3080 and used a little over 4 GB of GPU memory. It should fit on your GPU just fine and render in a few minutes, unless the HDRI you chose is extremely poorly implemented.

1. You can find the log in the menus Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File.Don't copy and paste the info here. Save the file and attach it instead.
    2. Do you have your GPU checked for use in Render Settings on the Advanced tab? If not, it won't be used. Attach a screenshot of your Render Settings Advanced tab.
    3. As a test, delete that HDRI from your scene and either use the default HDRI or the render preset that comes with UltraScenery.

OMG!!!!  are you kidding me????  4minutes???  OMG... What am I doing wrong??? I could cry... :(

BTW... doing as you suggest... seleting HDRI... (goes to test)

txt
    txt
    ultrascenery test log 9 18 2022.txt
    1M
    render settings.jpg
    490 x 906 - 61K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on

Your log file shows that you are rendering with CPU:

2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU: using 16 cores for rendering
    2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):
    2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : 	CPU
    2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend progr: CPU: Processing scene...

edited September 2022

The log file says you need to update your graphics driver:

2022-09-18 16:27:41.496 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend info : NVIDIA display driver version: 457.51
    2022-09-18 16:27:41.496 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - 
    IRAY:RENDER ::   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 11.1; iray photoreal requires CUDA
     version 11.4; iray photoreal can only run in CPU mode. 
    Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41.

DRIVER VERSION IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM

Post edited by barbult on
  • I see this in the log file:

2022-09-18 22:56:44.053 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::&nbsp; &nbsp;1.1&nbsp; &nbsp;IRAY&nbsp; &nbsp;rend warn : Your NVIDIA driver supports CUDA version up to 11.1; iray photoreal requires CUDA version 11.4; iray photoreal can only run in CPU mode. Please update your NVIDIA driver (www.nvidia.com) to at least 471.41.<br /> 2022-09-18 22:56:44.054 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::&nbsp; &nbsp;1.1&nbsp; &nbsp;IRAY&nbsp; &nbsp;rend info : Using iray plugin version 5.3, build 349500.7063 n, 18 Jan 2022, nt-x86-64-vc142.<br /> 2022-09-18 22:56:44.054 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::&nbsp; &nbsp;1.1&nbsp; &nbsp;IRAY&nbsp; &nbsp;rend warn : There is no CUDA-capable GPU available to the iray photoreal renderer.

Definitely looks like a driver update would be a good start.

I just tried updating my driver with Device Manager and it says I'm using the latest Nvidia Driver... Not sure how to update it any other way... :(

Tugpsx gave you instructions up above. The other way (as stated in the log file) is to go directly to www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver there.
    I'm off for tonight. Good luck. Maybe you will have it resolved by tomorrow.

barbult said:

2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU: using 16 cores for rendering
    2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):
    2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : 	CPU
    2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering...
    2022-09-18 20:49:36.757 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend progr: CPU: Processing scene...

is that good???

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Look at the post by Tugpsx.

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

is that good???

No, that is terrible. You want to render with the GPU. UPDATE YOUR DRIVER.

barbult said:

Tugpsx gave you instructions up above. The other way (as stated in the log file) is to go directly to www.nvidia.com and download the latest driver there.
    I'm off for tonight. Good luck. Maybe you will have it resolved by tomorrow.

thank you... I'm looking for update now with Tugpsx' linky... Pleasant dreamzzzzzz

Sorry to bother everyone... I used to have someone to help me with this stuff but he is no longer in my life... so I'm stuck learning all this on my own.  Thank you one and all.

ha.. you all are too fast for me.. I'm updating.. i'm updating... lol

• Llola Lane said:

Good luck!

If it's still slow after a driver update, we can look for more juicy stuff in the log. I do software support (not for Daz of course) IRL, so I love a good log. 

ok... drum roll pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... I updated my driver and my horse scene only took 6minute to render!!!!!!!!!!!  Woo hoot... Thank you one and all.  Now I just gotta fix the specklies which I think I need to turn off caustics... Who'da thunk I'd need to update a driver on a computer that is new????  Well.. maybe you all would... but I sure didn't... Thought when I looked in device manager and it said I had latest driver I was good... I can see I still have a lot to learn about computers... (sighs)... Every day I learn something new :)  Thank you one and all... I think I'm ok for now ;)

UltraScenery 6minute render DONE.png
    1024 x 1024 - 2M
    NvidiaExperience driver update version.jpg
    1516 x 860 - 121K

paulawp (marahzen) said:

Llola Lane said:

Good luck!

If it's still slow after a driver update, we can look for more juicy stuff in the log. I do software support (not for Daz of course) IRL, so I love a good log. 

Hum... I ... HOPE... you don't find any more 'juicy stuff' in my log!  lol  Thanks oodlezzzzzzzz

edited September 2022

Llola Lane said:

ok... drum roll pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... I updated my driver and my horse scene only took 6minute to render!!!!!!!!!!!  Woo hoot... Thank you one and all.  Now I just gotta fix the specklies which I think I need to turn off caustics... Who'da thunk I'd need to update a driver on a computer that is new????  Well.. maybe you all would... but I sure didn't... Thought when I looked in device manager and it said I had latest driver I was good... I can see I still have a lot to learn about computers... (sighs)... Every day I learn something new :)  Thank you one and all... I think I'm ok for now ;)

Great! You followed instructions and solved your problem! (And yes, turn off caustics.)

Now, go into the Render Settings>Advanced again and uncheck CPU as rendering device for both Photoreal and Interactive. Leave CPU fallback (at the bottom of the screen) checked.

You would think that having both the CPU and GPU rendering your scene at the same time would be faster overall, but that is not the case. The CPU is so slow compared to the GPU, that it just slows down the whole process.

This is my analogy:
    The track team star runner (GPU) and his grandpa (CPU) are tasked with going to the corner grocery and bringing back a total of 10 grocery bags. They can each only carry one bag at at time. The track star and his grandpa start off at the same time to head to the store. The track star runs to the store and back 9 times while grandpa is still hobbling toward the store with his cane. Now the track star has to sit on the porch with his 9 grocery bags and wait for grandpa to eventually return with the 10th bag, It would have been much faster for grandpa (CPU) to sit out the whole task and let track star (GPU) do all ten runs to the store.

Screenshot 2022-09-19 134158.jpg
    577 x 1066 - 71K
    Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

Great! You followed instructions and solved your problem! (And yes, turn off caustics.)

Now, go into the Render Settings>Advanced again and uncheck CPU as rendering device for both Photoreal and Interactive. Leave CPU fallback (at the bottom of the screen) checked.

You would think that having both the CPU and GPU rendering your scene at the same time would be faster overall, but that is not the case. The CPU is so slow compared to the GPU, that it just slows down the whole process.

This is my analogy:
    The track team star runner (GPU) and his grandpa (CPU) are tasked with going to the corner grocery and bringing back a total of 10 grocery bags. They can each only carry one bag at at time. The track star and his grandpa start off at the same time to head to the store. The track star runs to the store and back 9 times while grandpa is still hobbling toward the store with his cane. Now the track star has to sit on the porch with his 9 grocery bags and wait for grandpa to eventually return with the 10th bag, It would have been much faster for grandpa (CPU) to sit out the whole task and let track star (GPU) do all ten runs to the store.

Haaaaaaa... Ok... Doing that now.. Sorry I was away for a bit today.  I'll try another render tonight and see how it goes... I usually can fix things .. if... I'm told HOW to ;)... I still love grandpa... but I guess it's time for him to let the youngsters shoppe!  lol

I look forward to hearing if your render is even faster with caustics off and CPU unchecked.

This discussion has been closed.