UltraScenery - new territory [Commercial]

Comments

• Mark_e593e0a5Mark_e593e0a5 Posts: 1,575
    edited September 2022

barbult said:

Mark_e593e0a5 said:

You are 100% sure you would not do a (commercial) tutorial? It would be an insta-buy for me. 

I'm 100% sure. I'll answer your questions here for free, when I'm able. Totte did a commercial tutorial available in the store.

I have that tutorial, but... Totte is not Barbult  laughheart

Post edited by Mark_e593e0a5 on
  • TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 738

Just send her a GC smiley

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,020

Tugpsx said:

Just send her a GC smiley

Oh, gosh, no. That's not necessary! Helping people get the most out of UltraScenery is my pleasure.

@barbult we are all aware, we would still like to show our appreciation for all the help you have done over the years. Sometimes its ok to accept that others (like me) rely on your experites.

Tugpsx said:

@barbult we are all aware, we would still like to show our appreciation for all the help you have done over the years. Sometimes its ok to accept that others (like me) rely on your experites.

That's fine. Just say thanks. That's plenty.

• Tugpsx said:

Exactly so. HowieFarkes and Totte supply the marble, the hammer and the chisle. But sometimes, you need someone to show you how you create Michelangelo's David with that tool set. 

• tsroemitsroemi Posts: 2,713

memcneil70 said:

@Artini, sure. But it will wait till maybe tomorrow. Today I am out to Buckley SFB and will be home exhausted and brain dead. And after 1pm MT, our electric rates go up until 7pm, so I generally turn off all my computers now after 1pm.

@paulawp (marahzen) I had that update hit me yesterday morning also when I opened my computers. I checked my driver afterwards, no update from Nvidia, so I went onto downloading my purchases and working on my render. I didn't notice a lag in performance on my system, which can be very picky if I do stress it too much. I did do lots of saves, and closed my scene, D|S, and rebooted my system halfway through working to prevent it pitching a fit. I think it took that scene about 30 minutes.

Mary

You guys do know that you don't HAVE to let Windows install updates automatically, right? If all else fails, you can always set your connection to 'metered' (even if it isn't), and Windows will not download any big updates on its own anymore, but notify you instead. Then you have to give it express permission to download and install, and it won't interrupt your workflow anymore. 

Thanks again @barbult. Great instructions, I was able to build the scene and even rendered in Octane. Thanks for the fishing lessons. 

Tugpsx said:

Thanks again @barbult. Great instructions, I was able to build the scene and even rendered in Octane. Thanks for the fishing lessons. 

Good to hear it was useful. yes

• Llola LaneLlola Lane Posts: 9,234

<--waves to everyone... I just found this thread.  It will take me a while to read all 60 pages!!!  I'd just like to know quickly... is there a way to make these scenes smaller???  I don't need scenery this big.  I usually just have a figure or two in my scenes. 

Llola Lane said:

<--waves to everyone... I just found this thread.  It will take me a while to read all 60 pages!!!  I'd just like to know quickly... is there a way to make these scenes smaller???  I don't need scenery this big.  I usually just have a figure or two in my scenes. 

You can use a layer mask in any or all vegetation layers in the Build tab. White in the mask means put vegetation there; black means no vetetation; gray means less dense vegetation. 

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 4,043

@barbult, I also thank you for all you help and guidance on every thread. And the scope of your renders is amazing. I enjoy everything so much and can't catch all of them until so much later, I might be praising you for something months later. The demonstration of the new materials was excellent and the explanation easy enough for even me to understand.

Thank you,

Mary

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

You can use a layer mask in any or all vegetation layers in the Build tab. White in the mask means put vegetation there; black means no vetetation; gray means less dense vegetation. 

ok... great... now I just have to figure out how... I'm looking now.  (does her happy dance and wanders off....)

• Question for whomever can assist ...

I've seen posts of the problem I'm describing below before, but some time ago.  Situation: I've used UltraScenery since it first came out ... no issues, including different machines and video card combinations, includingthe machine and video card (2080ti) I've been using now ... succesfully ... for months -- no issues.  But then ...

(1) Reimaged my machine (same video card) + fresh install of DAZ

(2) Installed all UltraScenery modules + accelerator

(3) Tested UltraScenary scene with No Features, Pines 1 build and ...

(4) PROBLEM: All the Ecology is bunched in a tiny 1% scaled group below the back left corner of the Terrain.

No, I'm not using Octane render (have never used) ...

Tried other combinations of features and ecology ... same result.

Wiped and reinstalled my DAZ installation and installed content DB -- so the only content installed was the default DAZ study content configuration + all the UltraScenery modules + Accelerator. No change. Same problem.

Uninstalled accelerator ... no change. Same problem.

Ideas? Recommendations on how to fix?

• cgobtuse_35b5473d58 said:

Question for whomever can assist ...

I've seen posts of the problem I'm describing below before, but some time ago.  Situation: I've used UltraScenery since it first came out ... no issues, including different machines and video card combinations, includingthe machine and video card (2080ti) I've been using now ... succesfully ... for months -- no issues.  But then ...

(1) Reimaged my machine (same video card) + fresh install of DAZ

(2) Installed all UltraScenery modules + accelerator

(3) Tested UltraScenary scene with No Features, Pines 1 build and ...

(4) PROBLEM: All the Ecology is bunched in a tiny 1% scaled group below the back left corner of the Terrain.

No, I'm not using Octane render (have never used) ...

Tried other combinations of features and ecology ... same result.

Wiped and reinstalled my DAZ installation and installed content DB -- so the only content installed was the default DAZ study content configuration + all the UltraScenery modules + Accelerator. No change. Same problem.

Uninstalled accelerator ... no change. Same problem.

Ideas? Recommendations on how to fix?

How are you installing?

• Never mind ... my bad.  It just so happened that all the ecology I was testing (Pines, Harpwood, Pacific NW, etc.) _all_ have prerequisite products that ... duh ... I forgot to reinstall long with UltraScenary.  I had only installed the main ultrascenery modules.

Dry Desert (for example) has no prerequisite products -- all built in.

Even after using DAZ for years, I still make these silly errors sometimes.

Sorry everyone.

cgobtuse_35b5473d58 said:

Never mind ... my bad.  It just so happened that all the ecology I was testing (Pines, Harpwood, Pacific NW, etc.) _all_ have prerequisite products that ... duh ... I forgot to reinstall long with UltraScenary.  I had only installed the main ultrascenery modules.

Dry Desert (for example) has no prerequisite products -- all built in.

Even after using DAZ for years, I still make these silly errors sometimes.

Sorry everyone.

Main thing is you figured it out... and it's an easy fix ;)  Well done! 

edited September 2022

Llola Lane said:

barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

ok... great... now I just have to figure out how... I'm looking now.  (does her happy dance and wanders off....)

<--wanders back... 

Yay... The masks work!  I still need to play but I think it will do for my purposes... I need to re-read the instructions... Missed the bit about masks.  Not sure how big the mask has to be... I just made them 1024x1024... Took a bit to figure out where my white should go through the river... thought the ground would be gone but it's still there... but that's ok... took quicker to render too.  Here is the results... I'm a happy camper... I'll be working more with UltraScenery and Masks ;)  Love this product!

33minute render 94percent DONE SIGN framed.jpg
    1044 x 1044 - 270K
    Post edited by Llola Lane on
    edited September 2022

If you are having trouble figuring out where to put the mask, consider Totte's UltraScenery Toolkit - Volume One. It can be helpful in creating masks, but of course you have another tool to learn then. wink I find both of his toolkits extremely useful. Toolkit One has tools to hide and show all of the ecology instances. Those tools are so useful that I have them added to my toolbar for quick access. Be aware the the toolboxes have a prerequisite of the C66 Graphics Plugin.

Post edited by barbult on

barbult said:

If you are having trouble figuring out where to put the mask, consider Totte's UltraScenery Toolkit - Volume One. It can be helpful in creating masks, but of course you have another tool to learn then. wink I find both of his toolkits extremely useful. Toolkit One has tools to hide and show all of the ecology instances. Those tools are so useful that I have them added to my toolbar for quick access. Be aware the the toolboxes have a prerequisite of the C66 Graphics Plugin.

Ah... Yes.. thank you... I have all of them on my wish list... Just waiting for a great sale. ;)  In the meantime I can play with what I know... I know how to make masks... and I can fiddle more this weekend.  I have noticed however that I can't duplicate parts of the trees.. etc... and move them to another part of the scene... so I've been filling with individual trees til I figure it out.. lol.  Not tried instancing the trees yet... another thing to play with. ;)

The trees in UltraScenery are instances. Toolbox II has brilliant tools to let you see where those instances are and move or delete them. Meanwhile, your fill-in scheme sounds like a good solution.

barbult said:

The trees in UltraScenery are instances. Toolbox II has brilliant tools to let you see where those instances are and move or delete them. Meanwhile, your fill-in scheme sounds like a good solution.

ahh yes.... and you can't duplicate an instance... that makes sense... duhhh... (smacks head)... lol.  Yet another reason for those other 3 items on my wish list.  lol.  My goal is to purchase ALL the Ultra-Scenery packages/bundles... They are very realistic which is one reason I want to use it more.  I have about half of the add-ons already... yay!!!  

• I've been on an Ultrascenery buying binge...have only the Tango Alpha Country Ford And Apple Orchard and the new rock materials left in my wishlist. I also got UltrasceneryXT and its water materials as well. Well set up now with my new 3060 card to have a lot of fun. Just need to be reunited with my computer and she'll be jake!

lorraineopua said:

I've been on an Ultrascenery buying binge...have only the Tango Alpha Country Ford And Apple Orchard and the new rock materials left in my wishlist. I also got UltrasceneryXT and its water materials as well. Well set up now with my new 3060 card to have a lot of fun. Just need to be reunited with my computer and she'll be jake!

I am jealous lorraineopua... You have lots more than I do... I can't wait to see some of your work... I think we are allowed to post here... No one has said not to... ;)  I'm curious to see how your 3060 does... I have a 3070 and Ultrascenery is still taxing my system... Not sure if it's just me or my patience is getting thinner these days.  I don't like renders that take more than an hour or two to finish... I thought my card would be faster... But I'm playing a little more (which takes time if my 'tests' take an hour or two to render).  The masks seem to help get rid of unwanted foilage.  I'll play some more and post when I can.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,624

Made this using Barbults tip for the plant colors.  Would have probably never crossed my mind to look for other colors..

TropicalHideawayTM09172022.jpg
    2500 x 1350 - 4M
  • Daventaki said:

Made this using Barbults tip for the plant colors.  Would have probably never crossed my mind to look for other colors..

A beautiful render with lots of atmosphere.

Cheers,

Alex. 

Llola Lane said:

lorraineopua said:

I've been on an Ultrascenery buying binge...have only the Tango Alpha Country Ford And Apple Orchard and the new rock materials left in my wishlist. I also got UltrasceneryXT and its water materials as well. Well set up now with my new 3060 card to have a lot of fun. Just need to be reunited with my computer and she'll be jake!

I am jealous lorraineopua... You have lots more than I do... I can't wait to see some of your work... I think we are allowed to post here... No one has said not to... ;)  I'm curious to see how your 3060 does... I have a 3070 and Ultrascenery is still taxing my system... Not sure if it's just me or my patience is getting thinner these days.  I don't like renders that take more than an hour or two to finish... I thought my card would be faster... But I'm playing a little more (which takes time if my 'tests' take an hour or two to render).  The masks seem to help get rid of unwanted foilage.  I'll play some more and post when I can.

If you are rendering from just one camera view, you can limit UltraScenery to build vegetation that is only in that camera view. The selection is on the Build tab. 

It shouldn't take hours to render UltraScenery on a 3000 series graphics card. Have you added so much other stuff to the scene that it is falling back to CPU and not even rendering in the graphics card? Is Instancing Optimization set to Memory in your Render Settings (Auto is probably OK, but Speed is not)?

Daventiki, I like to see other people using those suggestions. Nice render!

Hey, guess what! I just discovered that the anthurium color materials are also in Tropical Botanica - Understorey product. You don't even need the separate anthurium product to access the color options.

Screenshot 2022-09-18 125717.jpg
    601 x 705 - 104K
  • barbult said:

Llola Lane said:

lorraineopua said:

If you are rendering from just one camera view, you can limit UltraScenery to build vegetation that is only in that camera view. The selection is on the Build tab. 

It shouldn't take hours to render UltraScenery on a 3000 series graphics card. Have you added so much other stuff to the scene that it is falling back to CPU and not even rendering in the graphics card? Is Instancing Optimization set to Memory in your Render Settings (Auto is probably OK, but Speed is not)?

It's funny this subject has come up as I am actively researching this problem. I encounter this sometimes with my 3060 on scenes that, at a glance, don't seem to justify it, and although it was happening before my recent trouble with the Windows update, putting things back in order after that has focused my attention on finally dealing with this ongoing nuisance. I'm hopeful that the user asking the original question might derive some value from my initial observations of the problem here on my system, which has a 3060 ti and 32GB of RAM.

In my case, if it's crawling, it has, definitely, fallen back on CPU, and generally, I find two situations: either there is something about the scene - for example, that one I posted a few days ago with the horses and the wagon - that is that challenging, but sometimes, if I correct an environmental problem, it will be fine. Maybe I left a render window open. Maybe if I wait a few minutes and try again, something clears out of memory and it can run properly. Sometimes if I exit Daz and come back, it renders at proper speed on return. Or, if even that doesn't help, there's rebooting the computer. Daz, I am told, notoriously has memory leaks.

I've started researching the many Daz threads on the subject to narrow down these two types of problems so I can understand and recognize them, and either fix them or avoid them. I already know for sure that open windows from previous renders are a common cause when I run into that problem with a scene that has rendered at acceptable speed previously. When that's the problem, I can just stop the current, crawling attempt, check for and close (or save) any open renders, try again, and it'll be fine. I am reading that using Iray Nvidia viewport often can cause memory leaks, and I do that constantly (including with USC - there's tricks) to get the lighting I want; just in recent days I was specifically testing exactly this while watching memory usage - unfortunately, without any definitive findings thus far. 

But some scenes I construct - like that one with the wagon - fall back on CPU even on a first try after a reboot. Clearly, there's something in there that's too challenging. Technically speaking, since I have two horses, two people, and a cart, one can say that the problem isn't USC - but if USC is made invisible, the rest of that scene renders in 31 seconds. So USC is a demanding part of this scene's equation, and worth discussion here. To the person who initially posted the question, are you encountering this problem with additional objects in the scene or with USC alone? If you take a look at the log (Help --> Troubleshooting --> View Log File), what are you seeing?

In this example, when I try to render the original version of that wagon scene, I get this:

2022-09-18 09:29:43.124 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti): Scene processed in 2.543s

2022-09-18 09:29:43.124 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti): Not enough memory for kernel launches (0.000 B (349.748 MiB) required, 0.000 B available). Cannot allocate framebuffer.

2022-09-18 09:29:43.125 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti): Failed to setup device frame buffer

2022-09-18 09:29:43.125 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti): Device failed while rendering

2022-09-18 09:29:43.125 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti) ran out of memory and is temporarily unavailable for rendering.

2022-09-18 09:29:43.174 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend warn : All available GPUs failed.

2022-09-18 09:29:43.174 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [WARNING] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend warn : No devices activated. Enabling CPU fallback.

2022-09-18 09:29:43.174 [WARNING] :: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(367): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend error: All workers failed: aborting render

2022-09-18 09:29:43.184 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU: using 16 cores for rendering

2022-09-18 09:29:43.184 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : Rendering with 1 device(s):

2022-09-18 09:29:43.184 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend info : CPU

So we see clearly that it is failing to handle something that's here. If you're not watching Task Manager or checking the log, what you're seeing is a scene that is rendering slowly. It will eventually finish, but after an hour or more. 

If I make either USC, one of the horses or one of the G8 figures invisible, I get this instead and it runs as it should:

2022-09-18 09:32:50.251 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti): Scene processed in 1.912s
    2022-09-18 09:32:50.253 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti): Allocated 29.760 MiB for frame buffer
    2022-09-18 09:32:50.253 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti): Allocated 1.906 GiB of work space (2048k active samples in 0.000s)
    2022-09-18 09:32:50.253 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti): Optimizing for cooperative usage (performance could be sacrificed)
    2022-09-18 09:32:52.204 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.7   IRAY   rend info : Allocating 1-layer frame buffer
    2022-09-18 09:32:52.490 Iray [INFO] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.0   IRAY   rend progr: Received update to 00001 iterations after 4.151s.

I won't use up a lot of bandwidth here on my fumbling attempt to use Scene Optimizer, but I will note that after I updated a few suspect surfaces in that scene, it renders without falling back on CPU - and without having to make important parts invisible. 

I've only just started work on this subject. Before, I just shrugged and let it run if I liked how it was turning out.

This discussion has been closed.