Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

@David - Interesting object. It askes for a material but I haven't got "Flattened_lumpy_mapped1.mtl" and the thing is default grey (I set ambience to 0). It acts on light sources and the pattern changes with the direction of the light. Below, the camera looks at the object edge on, the edge is 0.000 BU thin. Above and below are mirrors that show the upper and lower side. I lit it by different HDRIs.

ws_6.jpg
    900 x 1200 - 134K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

working on a more realistic lighting for night scenes and messing with the advanced rendering properties. Anyone know how to cut down on redering times when using true ambience? This took about fifteen hours to complete.

Nice atmospheric scene you got there. :)

Cutting down on render times is going to depend on how you've got it set up at the moment.
    Things like: Are you using TA along with HDR lighting, Dome or Fill lights etc.
    Then in render settings you can try to reduce the Max Ray Depth to 3 (or even 2 at a push)
    256 RPP isn't always necessary either. Reducing the RPP to 144 will halve your render time straight away (that's presuming you went for 256RPP). Or taking the RPP down one level from what you used will halve the render time anyway.

Hope this helps.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

2 new Dufus da Dwagon renders as we're fast approaching Pancake Day.
    Though I did one of them a few days ago so it's no longer 15 sleeps. :-)

DufusPan.jpg
    633 x 975 - 232K
    DufusPancakeTree.jpg
    633 x 975 - 317K
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited February 2015

Hi all,

working on a more realistic lighting for night scenes and messing with the advanced rendering properties. Anyone know how to cut down on redering times when using true ambience? This took about fifteen hours to complete.

For this size pictures 15 hours - this ridiculous time. :-) For such a simple scene do not need to render with TA. It suffices to apply a weak Dome Light. Render with TA needed for scenes with many fine details (complex landscapes, interiors, still lifes, and the like). Transparent materials and soft shadows - this murder to render with TA.

At the moment, I do render Premium 9 rpp (without TA). Render lasts about 20 hours. 20% remaining. In the scene there are two sources of light with 100% soft shadows, glass, water, and so on. With "Regular AA" no problems with soft shadows. As soon as I turn mode "Premium", then soft shadows disappear. It is necessary in this case enable the "soft shadows" in the render settings. But in the case of 9 rpp soft shadow looks unacceptably noisy. You must go to 16 rpp and more, but then the render time is not 30 hours, and 60 or more.
    So I stopped and switched to render "Regular AA". A couple of days I'll show you what I got.

Here unfinished still life, of which I speak.
    Now I am doing a great size with Regular AA.

Kalina.jpg
    756 x 840 - 279K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
  • Old StuffOld Stuff Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

@slepalex man you do some great work with natural looking lighting. I think reading your explanations solved my rendering times on the HD set Im doing for the final renders for my Cube. Thanks!

edited February 2015

@Dave - very nice dwagon posters.

@slepalex - that work in progress will become another still life masterpiece.

There are many strategies to optimise render time. The most important is to determine which options the scene needs and which can be omitted. That's where plop render is really helpful. Just plop render a critical part and change render settings, lights, etc. When I use an HDRI without prominent light source for ambient light, doing without IBL shadows speeds up the render considerably. In the case below, the IBL shadows were engaged. The geometry of the terrain in the shadow gets much better represented than without IBL shadows. However, soft shadows were only used on the sun. Shadows are sharp on the geometry and where the shadow extends, it gets soft. Using soft shadows in this example also helps showing the geometry.

ThePit.jpg
    800 x 900 - 109K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Tim – the Alpine render is awesome

Horo – the landscape renders are stunning, I like the effect of the last one.

Dragonfall – nice render, a bit on the dark side, I also have problems with lighting, something I can’t get a handle on, so it’s mainly trial and errors.

David – love the space render, the one with the spherical mapper and space kit.

Dave- Once again beautiful renders Dufus da Dwagon and the pancake.

Slepalex – another outstanding render. I hope to see more of your work in this forum.

Since there is an ongoing discussion about lighting, I have a question. Is it a good idea to use Boost Light with Regular render or is it better to use this option with Premium render. I’m working on a landscape for the elements challenge and having problems with the lighting.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Since there is an ongoing discussion about lighting, I have a question. Is it a good idea to use Boost Light with Regular render or is it better to use this option with Premium render. I’m working on a landscape for the elements challenge and having problems with the lighting.

Boost light was only originally designed to work with TA. The only regular rendering effect I've been able to detect is that it can influence the way the AA pass is processed. As is shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0eHdeK0ix4

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you. I can't answer your question definitely. What I do is plop render some parts and engage/disengage boost light. Sometimes I see an improvement in contrast and saturation/vibrance when it is on, sometime I don't. I haven't noticed any render time penalty when using it.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

Boost light was only originally designed to work with TA. The only regular rendering effect I've been able to detect is that it can influence the way the AA pass is processed. As is shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0eHdeK0ix4

Boost Light basically removes an arbitrary "clamp" Bryce tends to apply to color ranges when performing certain calculations such as with TA. But it can also have an effect on normal AA rendering as in the case of David's snowy tree. The reason it works (just my opinion) is that without Boost Light enabled Bryce assumes the extra whiteness is wrong, thus toning it down to values more similar to other nearby pixels. By removing the clamp, the true color values are expressed.

TA without Boost Light is much less noisy, which on the surface gives the impression of an image that is more fully resolved, but in fact, it is simply cheating to reduce noise. By telling nearby pixels that they can only vary in range from one another by a limited value, reconciling noise in the final render is much easier.

With Boost Light, no attempt is made to encourage nearby pixels to get along, thus revealing much more of the underlying noise.

So generally speaking, all forms of Bryce rendering are more "accurate" (I use the term loosely!) when Boost Light is enabled. In most cases the difference isnt noticeable but in some cases it matters a lot.

David,
    I would think that Hypertexturing, working as it does outside of the ranges Bryce tends to comfortably handle, might benefit greatly from Boost Light being enabled at all times. Like an hdri's color ranges, Boost Light preserves more of the raw effect which should almost always create a more dramatic look, more vibrant color responses. But then again, I can also see how the effects combined could lead to a situation wher the sliders become so sensitive it's impractical to make adjustment.

Playing around with Octane as I have been has fully confirmed for me that Boost Light is certainly going to produce less bias than non Boost Light, but darn the noise!!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

David,
    I would think that Hypertexturing, working as it does outside of the ranges Bryce tends to comfortably handle, might benefit greatly from Boost Light being enabled at all times. Like an hdri's color ranges, Boost Light preserves more of the raw effect which should almost always create a more dramatic look, more vibrant color responses. But then again, I can also see how the effects combined could lead to a situation wher the sliders become so sensitive it's impractical to make adjustment.

Indeed.

No speculation is required here I can confirm.

Yes it does improve the colour ranges, most of the videos which feature a combination of hypertexture driven material output indicate that boost light is mandatory for best results.

By using a phased hypertexture it is possible to set the range of the response very accurately and overcome any issues of slider sensitivity. This is also covered extensively in video. However, to get to the crux of the matter.

Horo has made the following PDF

http://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/PhasedHT.pdf

edited December 1969

Thanks David, Horo and Carter for your responses. I think I will use go with Horo's method of pop-rendering and see if I can come up with something for the current challenge.

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2015

Been out of the loop for awhile (house-hunting, still), but great works all coming through.

Below, a little in how my house-hunting is going...a fine balance. Title:Man on A Wire

Jay

ManOnAWire.jpg
    1200 x 652 - 381K
    Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited December 1969

Viburnum.

Bryce 7 Pro. Render Regular AA. Time 13:20:09.
    lighting:
    1. Spot Light from the right in front (Edge Softness, Shadow Softness 100%, Falloff None).
    2. Square Spotlight from left rear side (Edge Softness, Shadow Softness 50%, Falloff Linear).
    3. Square Spotlight at the top left to illuminate indoor plants (Edge Softness, Shadow Softness 50%, Falloff Linear).
    4. Sphere Dome Light for global illumination (Falloff None, Quality 225, Bias 50, Randomness 0, Distant None).
    5. Disable Sun Light.
    Room with windows made of primitives for a natural reflection in the glass. Room and Sphere Dome Light is an analogue HDRI map.
    Berries have some degree of transparency (by Rashad) to create the illusion of SSS. Therefore render "brake" on the bottle with liqueur and berries, as well as on the foliage with an alpha channel.
    Plate with berries modeled in a separate scene. Use the manual cloning and Instancing Lab. Then the scene with berries was loaded into the main scene with command "Merge".

Top view of the scene.

Калина.jpg
    1080 x 1200 - 609K
    Top_View.jpg
    723 x 803 - 83K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@dragonfall: You've got a reach line scene started, it has a nice atmosphere.

@Horo: Both of those new terrains are wonderful. I like the amount of erosion detail in the first image and the texture and volcano glow of the second.

@Dave: Dufus looks like he's enjoying himself. Both of those are real nice. Ah, yes, Pancake fast approaches doesn't it?

@slepalex: That's a beautiful still image scene. Lighting is, as usual, wonderful.

@Jay: That's a real neat image.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,583
    edited December 1969

But ... but ... but ... the 17th of every month is Yellow Pig Day, not Pancake Day!

• dragonfall1221dragonfall1221 Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

@David Brinnen - thanks for the headsup about your videos. I've been going through them when I have the time and they are wonderful!

@TheSavage64 - thanks! And thank you for the advice.

@slepalex - That is a beautiful image. I'll try reducing my settings to see if I can cut the render time

@mermaid010 - thank you! Lighting is the bane of my existence in just about every program I've tried. my brain just doesn't get it.

@GusNemo - thank you!

edited December 1969

Jay - lovely render, enjoy the home-hunting.

Slepalex - beautiful render, thanks for the info.

edited December 1969

Cheers, Guss...he might fall, don't know...yet ;)

Thanks Mermaid...landlords, asking for too much rent, are my problem at this stage >:(

Jay

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

Thanks Mermaid...landlords, asking for too much rent, are my problem at this stage >:(

Jay

I understand what you are saying there Jay. I noticed the high rents when we were still hoping to relocate to Eire. They all seem to be set at Hoilday rental level, not at long term rental level.

edited December 1969

Thanks, Chohole...and yeah, it's ridiculous...guess so in the UK, Wales and Scotland, too. But, fingers crossed.

Jay

• dragonfall1221dragonfall1221 Posts: 69
    edited December 1969

Hello again,

finished my scene. Reducing the settings cut down the render time from fifteen hours to just over three. Cant decide whether I like it better with the true ambience off (darker image) or on.

bounty2.jpg
    1100 x 736 - 270K
    bounty1.jpg
    1100 x 736 - 196K
    edited December 1969

@Jay - that chap better be careful otherwise he won't need no house anymore. Hopefully, you'll go about it in a more sensibe manner. I wish you luck. Anyway, for a render, this is an excellent idea and it is superbly done.

@slepalex - this came out really excellent. Thanks for showing us the setup.

@Jamie - thank you.

@dragonfall1221 - I like the first one better, though I find both quite on the dark side to fully appreciate.

Here's another stacked terrain render with an HDRI for the sky and ambient light. The barns were made by c-ram and are available for free on my website. The barns are very detailed but are a bit far away here.

GreenPatch.jpg
    960 x 600 - 139K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

wow really impressive renders from everyone :)
    i thought i would share my most recent also :)

SL_Key.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 379K
    edited February 2015

Cheers, Horo...I'd move into one of your barns at this stage :lol: Great shot, btw.

That's a nice futuristice scene, Dragonfall1221...bet it would look great with two moons (two figure shadows?). The second, lighter-toned one is what I'd go with.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 500
    edited December 1969

Hi all;
    Funny that David would bring up the subject of UV mapping challenges. Over the holidays I spent 5 or 6 hours modeling this object in Modo and after messing with the UV mapping for about 4 times that time I figured this was about as good as I was going to get it.
    Anyway, all the object textures are from the really useful CG Textures site (http://cgtextures.com). The terrain textures is a variation on one of David's Pro Materials. That's a Genisis 2 male with the Sir Worthinton outfit by -esha-.
    Illuminated by the Bryce sun, Use Sky IBL and TA.
    Rendered at 64RPP in a little over 6 hours.
    As always I enjoy seeing everyone's work and I always find inspiration from them (this image uses the stacked terrains idea from Horo's postings).
    Thanks for looking!

Watchtower.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 346K
  • c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited December 1969

@ Horo : nice use of my barn and very realistic picture!

For those interested in some of my models, here are two links to download the cottage house that I have done for one of my picture and the windmill I have made for another one. Use it for free of course.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmgtlwldite41ik/cottage house.rar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m67jcsherhigije/windmill.rar

@Slepalex : proud to see some nice art from you in this forum!

@Danwhiteside : very beautiful castle, nice modeling here.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ C ram, i just thought i would let you know the first link is broken, unless its just me ? ...but thanks for sharing :)

edited December 1969

@Tim - very nicely modeled key.

@Jay - don't forget to take a generator wirth you. No electricity for Bryce otherwise.

@Dan - beautiful model and very nice scene.

@c-ram - thank you - and thank you very much for the windmill. Like Tim, I get a 404 error for the cottage.

• c-ramc-ram Posts: 376
    edited February 2015

Sorry for the broken link. It seems that I can't paste it correctly on the forum.

If you like to download the cottage house, go to my deviantart page and clic on the link above :

http://c-ramgfx.deviantart.com/art/Cottage-394366512

I've test the link and it work.

Post edited by c-ram on
This discussion has been closed.