Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 8

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Thank you c-ram for the model :-)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,538
    edited December 1969

@David - very dramatic sunset. Moving the HDRI a tad around may make the mountain to a volcano.

@mermaid010 - thank you. I like that cloud city render, I think the colours fit very nicely together; never mind what it is, it's just pleasing to the eye.

@c-ram - thank you for the model.

Another stacked terrain and the Gasclouds_B06 HDRI I made from David's Octane render. With a dynamic range of five Million to one there is not much left for ambient light. This is supported by a distant dome light. The key light is from the sun.

Ravine.jpg
    720 x 900 - 121K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Such a busy day today with it being Pancake Day and all that.
    First chance I've had to post this so sorry it's a bit late. :red:

DufusPancakeDay.jpg
    633 x 975 - 218K
  • CTippettsCTippetts Posts: 162
    edited December 1969

All this wonderful art you folks have produced since I was last able to be here is amazing. Some shiny. Some in the spirit of Tesla. Some passing gas as art. Some more made me laugh. Some gave me chills. Makes me not want to post the stuff below, but, obviously, I did anyway.

I was inspired by a photograph in the office of one of my Dad's doctors. It was one of those photographs so surreal, I had to try to duplicate it in Bryce.

So this first image is what I did on my old computer with Bryce 5.5. The next was trying the same thing on my Dad's computer with Bryce 7.1, hoping for better cloud and grass textures. Then we had another trip to the doctor, and I took the third image ... a picture of the photograph. Obviously my Bryce version thunderheads were too high. Funny what our memory and imaginations distort.

In both Bryce images I had to use beefed up Italian Cyprus trees, not having any Skyrocket Junipers. In both Bryce images I made two banks of clouds ... a wispy one just behind the hill, and a denser duplicate to fill in behind that. Neither worked well. In the 7.1 version I used two layered terrains trying to get a less uniform multicolored pasture effect like the photo shows, while the 5.5 version is just one terrain with the HSI Stoneybrook flower field texture. In both Bryce images the hidden house and shed are simple cubes, (one rotated 45 degrees on top of a straight one for each ... simple), since no details can be seen anyway in the original.

I had to do it. I did it. I'm done. Sure wish I could do as good as you other folk. Also wish I would have taken the picture of the photograph before I started on the Bryce versions.

FoolOnTheHill_TargetPhotograph.jpg
    995 x 657 - 76K
    FoolOnTheHillRevisited.jpg
    995 x 695 - 108K
    FoolOnTheHill.jpg
    995 x 697 - 125K
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 859
    edited December 1969

@ CTippetts, very nicely done :)

edited December 1969

@Dave - bonne appetite.

@CTippetts - came out quite fine. Remember, when volumetrics intersect there are problems; a known bug.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,895
    edited December 1969

Hi all,

@mermaid010: Thanks. I like your experimenting, specifically the top one, which looks like angels flying. And a nice variant on sky city too.

@slepalex: wonderful still lives. I like the last one best, becaus of the textures of the table and the wall. The vase in the top one looks a bit rubbery to me.

@Horo: Thanks. And great landscape renders with dramatic skies! And I like the lens experiments too.

@David Brinnen: Keep them coming, those cool space renders!

@fencepost52: Yes, metaballs. They can be very versatile. I did use quite some multireplication. I never really know what to do to get what result there. My mathematics are no geared to that. However, I also like an element of unpredictability in my work, so that's OK. Just don't know how to make a render for the contest with this element %-P.

@TheSavage64: hope Dufus did not have too many pancakes and got sick!

@CTippetts: I do like your renders. The photo has a less dramatic sky, but you made a nice set of versions. I would suggest you try one more time and leave out the top clouds, while putting the bottom (background) clouds somewhat higher.

And, of course: @c-ram: thanks for the model.

Sorry, no new render from me just yet.

edited December 1969

Here's another simple landscape. Sky and ambient light from the Gasclouds_B01, the sun provides the key light. Materials from our terrain set 4.

ValeFork.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 204K
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,105
    edited December 1969

I went back to another terrain render and added buildings, vehicle and cactus. One daylight and two night/evening renders.

Desert City

sand-city-rover-004.jpg
    800 x 600 - 229K
    sand-city-rover-003.jpg
    800 x 600 - 262K
    sand-city-rover-002.jpg
    800 x 600 - 273K
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales - Just wondered if you have Gamma correction enabled in the Render menu, or is that the way you set environment.
    The 3 images look a little pale.

edited February 2015

StuartB4 said:
    @Fishtales - Just wondered if you have Gamma correction enabled in the Render menu, or is that the way you set environment.

There is no Gamma set but there is fog and haze set. All settings except the sun/moon and light added to the last one are the same in all three. The sky is used as the IBL.

This is the last one with fog and haze off.

sand-city-rover-005.jpg
    800 x 600 - 292K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited February 2015

Fishtales said:
    StuartB4 said:

There is no Gamma set but there is fog and haze set. All settings except the sun/moon and light added to the last one are the same in all three. The sky is used as the IBL.

This is the last one with fog and haze off.

The haze adds nice ambient but beyond a certain point it can look overly ambient (like the cacti) one solution, though it is a bit "expensive" in terms of render time is to use a volumemetric fog, such as has been employed to great effect by Dan Whiteside. The material setup I think is in this video. But clearly the lighting requirements would be quite different.

I've been fiddling around with curvature control again and some of Horo's maximum resolution terrains.

Curvature is a tricky beast, but when it can be coaxed into working, it can be used to emphasis the subtle changes in the surface of complex terrains.

Edit sorry, forgot video link here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAmVI9lFMro

Mat_test2.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 1M
    Mat_test1.jpg
    1511 x 850 - 881K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited February 2015

David's remark about Ambient sent me back to these images. I tend to set the Ambient to match the sun/moon colour and play around with the Sky Dome colour too. The images below have the Ambient first set to white and the second set to black, Sky Dome is set to black. The original night ones were set to a light grey. You can see the difference this can make to an image. Why do I do it? Because that is the way ambient light works. It is based on the colour of the light source, either sun, moon or light, and the colour of the sky, the sky dome. I also try and set the refraction index for the material used as this also has an effect on the colour it transmits.

sand-city-rover-007.jpg
    800 x 600 - 252K
    sand-city-rover-006.jpg
    800 x 600 - 267K
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

@Fishtales - Thanks for the explanation.

@David - Love the second image, reminds me of some of the road's where I live :)

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 509
    edited December 1969

I had a post with commendations on several peoples' work and it was eaten by the forum monster. Don't have time to repost, so I'll just say great work as always!

@ David Brinnen, I particularly like you 2nd landscape. Those caverns are begging to be explored!

Just a quick render from me to keep the blood flowing.

Generated terrains using displacment maps and textures from this product: Woodland Floors for DAZ Studio

Materials and stones from this product: Ground Texture Tiles and Matching Terrains

Model made with this tutorial: Funky Shape in Wings

FunkyShapeWoodlandGround9.jpg
    850 x 850 - 1000K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,345
    edited February 2015

There have been some superb and interesting images posted here since I last dropped in. It's a real education for this Bryce noob :-)
    I barely have the nerve to add something myself, but I wanted to record my "first" Bryce landscape render (well, obviously I've created the odd terrain and hit render before, but not with any order or method). This is the result of trying some ideas from one of David Brinnen's Shoreline tutorials - and simple though it is, I'm foolishly pleased with it. (Anyway playing with Bryce is making a nice change from DAZ Studio)
    ETA: Anyone have any ideas on how I could make footprints in the sand? I tried putting a child in the foreground (sent from DS) but it looked a bit weird without any dents under his feet and along his path.

Beach1.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 355K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

There are a lot of very impressive images since my last visit, nice work to all.

• jebsignjebsign Posts: 5
    edited February 2015

My gallery header image, 'thrown' together for the occasion.
    Bryceworld with lots of room for new ideas...

best brycing from jens

gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/28873

brycezt.jpg
    930 x 401 - 183K
    Post edited by jebsign on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

jebsign said:
    My gallery header image, 'thrown' together for the occasion.
    Bryceworld with lots of room for new ideas...

best brycing from jens

gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/38893/

Nice. Have you seen Dave Savage's one http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#galleries/620/

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

50 Shades of Grey...yep, the moon’s surface make-up looks like it has fifty shades of grey – very, very naughty :lol:

Jay

FiftyShadesOfGrey.jpg
    624 x 848 - 346K
    edited December 1969

great! thanks chohole -the things you can make, just out of the box !. Looking at the postings in the main gallery I admittedly feel completely out of sync with contemporary image subjects, -from your link it is nice to see there are other kinds of water flowing in the sea!

MelanieL , to get foot prints in the sand you could 'paint' them into the surface. The terrain (if you have used the Terrain available in Bryce) is a greyscale image. Light is high, dark is low. See below the greyscale picture used for the face-terrain in the background of this image from my gallery:

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/24473

spojrzenie.jpg
    512 x 512 - 39K
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,345
    edited February 2015

Thanks, jebsign - foolishly I hadn't thought of that! The only problem I'll have then are (a) finding out exactly where on the terrain to put them as the sandy ground terrain is at an odd angle to the camera (I suppose I could temporarily add a little spike somewhere and see where it appears in the scene) and (b) getting them small enough! I'll have a go and see how it turns out.
    ETA: Followed your gallery link, wow that's a seriously surreal scene!

Post edited by MelanieL on
    edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    Thanks, jebsign - foolishly I hadn't thought of that! The only problem I'll have then are (a) finding out exactly where on the terrain to put them as the sandy ground terrain is at an odd angle to the camera (I suppose I could temporarily add a little spike somewhere and see where it appears in the scene) and (b) getting them small enough! I'll have a go and see how it turns out.
    ETA: Followed your gallery link, wow that's a seriously surreal scene!

-that's the procedure I've used, too, it will probably take several tries to get there. maybe you end up making steps in small area of the terrain...

Make the greyscale image in 16-bit tiff, and size corresponding with the resolution of the terrain. (512x512, 1024x1024). (Hope I'm not 'overeducating' !)

The image linked to, with the face in the background, is made on basis of an etching from 1986, so already at that time hopes of normalcy was dwindling!

see it here: http://www.jebsign.dk/etchings/spojrzenie.html

best brycing wishes jebsign

edited December 1969

i haven't posted a render for a while, so i thought why not share this :)

Lion.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 270K
    edited December 1969

and here is another one for the day :)

Space_ship.jpg
    1434 x 695 - 196K
    edited December 1969

Nice work, everyone!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 5,389
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo and Hansmar

Beautiful renders from everyone.

A Still using a vase from a recent weekly freebie from Daz –Décor Basics and xFrog roses and two space renders.

scene02.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 59K
    scene01.jpg
    900 x 600 - 90K
    scene05.jpg
    600 x 600 - 16K
    edited February 2015

@Sandy - nice urban setup with the cacti.

@David - nice materials, I like the Pits render very much.

@Art - the funky shape is very nicely presented.

@MelanieL - nice coast render. I'm not sure footprints would be necessary. The sand looks very wet and the next wave would erase the steps anyway.

@jebsign - welcome to this forum, good to see new Brycers. Nice render, the objects seem to come from Bryce 5 and 6. The new lights we've got in 7.1 are missing. Good idea and nicely done in any case.

@Jay - what's the main subject here - the lady or the moon? Well done.

@Tim - nice model you found, very well presented. Spaceship and clouds look great.

@mermaid010 - very nice examples. I think the background for the roses render is a bit unfortunate, it looks more important than the roses, which get somehow lost. Space scenes look great.

I've been experimenting a bit with reflection and specular. The object is a 3/4 torus made in Structure Synth. The first uses reflection and transparency at a high refraction index. It came out rather busy and I had to render it at 4000 x 3000 and downscale to compensate for the unsufficient anti-aliasing.

The second one uses PHT boosted specular at quite a high halo (248), some white diffuse and some transparency but no reflection. It looks almost too perfect to me.

The last one uses a full faceted torus, also made in Structure Synth. The camera is inside it (obviously) and there is only specular and a bit of transparency.

The HDRI used is for all the same, though rotated and tilted differently. It's the specular convolved Nccday that comes with our Seamless Texture Mix and HDR Lighting Set 2.

InTorus.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 267K
    Torus34S.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 119K
    Torus34R.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 149K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited February 2015

My apologies for the lame, "nice work, everyone!" post above. The forum wouldn't let me post anything yesterday and I was randomly typing phrases hoping it would accept something and I finally found a "winner". Still waiting for my "winner's prize"! LOL

@MelanieL: Welcome to the Brycers club! :) Your beach scene looks great! I think the concepts about the footprints you and jebsign should work.

@jebsign: I like your 3d Bryce scene. Thanks for sharing.

@mermaid: I agree with Horo on the rose scene. The background takes over and becomes the focus. Nice work on the space scenes. Neat looking ship in the first one.

@Horo: Thanks, horo for the comment. I love rendering shapes more than anything else I do with Bryce. I'm captivated by them. Even simple shapes have a strong draw to me. Speaking of which, I'm captivated by your renders. Nothing short of awesome. I sat there and just stared at them. I'm going to look in the Structure Synth program. Outstanding!

@Tim: Nice work, as always. My favorite is the lion.

@Jay: Funny render! My grandparents last name and my mom's maiden name was Grey. So the joke I always say is that my family was the original 50 shades of grey. LOL

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

thanks for the comments :)

@Mermaid, i really love the vase, nice one :)

@Horo, wow! very interesting effect....my favorite is the 3rd one :)

This discussion has been closed.