The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,325

PerttiA said:

Non-Complaint; It's the end of spring semester, and the youngsters are gathering in the beaches and parks to celebrate (getting drunk and making a mess of themselves and the surroundings)
    Now the police have found an effective youth-repellent... They are playing classical music at the beaches and parks => No more young people there laugh

Hmmm..., I'd thought that I'd never say this, but yeah, I'm glad someone's not listening to it.devil  A "Puberty Repellent" enlightened

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,893

Why is 7 pm too late to drink coffee?  I want something to drink!

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,388
    Funny I had a Double shot of expresso last night a ten pm fell right sleep.
  • NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,628

AgitatedRiot said:

It is actually 7:00 here and I'm thinking about making coffee.

NylonGirl said:

AgitatedRiot said:

It was easy after the happy hour at The Ritz-carlton. Mini vacation going on.

AgitatedRiot said:

NylonGirl said:

AgitatedRiot said:

It was easy after the happy hour at The Ritz-carlton. Mini vacation going on.

Did the police shut the party down by playing Tchaikovsky? 

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,766

PerttiA said:

Non-Complaint; It's the end of spring semester, and the youngsters are gathering in the beaches and parks to celebrate (getting drunk and making a mess of themselves and the surroundings)
    Now the police have found an effective youth-repellent... They are playing classical music at the beaches and parks => No more young people there laugh

..I'd be there realxing in the sun flying my kites to the music of Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy and other greats. 

I'm a tad hot so I'm sitting next to a vent.

I feel better now.  Sitting next to the air vent helped.

IMG_2062.jpeg
    474 x 563 - 55K
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,597

Looking for a shopvac comparison on youtube and get this. The video appears to be about shopvacs but the description is another story. Warning: Description may offend some.

Shopvac Video.JPG
    1889 x 1144 - 154K
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,652

LeatherGryphon said:

"The Old Folks Aches & Pains, Complaint Thread"blush

Now that one I understand!

ArtAngel said:

Looking for a shopvac comparison on youtube and get this. The video appears to be about shopvacs but the description is another story. Warning: Description may offend some.

....there's an episode of the British poliical satire show Spitting Image from 2020 that...well...seems to be on a similar theme.

I can say no more.

Now, are there actually people whose carpet matches their drapes? Because the rooms where we have carpets seem to have randomly colored curtains. Like black or deep purple. I don't know anybody with carpets those colors. And the rooms with carpet colored drapes don't have carpets.

What is a Drape? laugh I have these windows blankets I take to the cleaners once a month.laugh

edited June 3

I've got a towel over the window in my entry door.indecision  And blinds on all the other windows.  But I remember drapes.  My mother was good with a sewing machine and we had nice heavy drapes and under drapes on all the windows in our good sized farm home.  She created a wonderful 1950s American home ambience.  My grandmother had lace underdrapes on her windows.  I remember her yearly task of washing them and then assembling the special stretching frame to let them dry without wrinkles at the proper size.  

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,326

We have curtains. Some are quite elderly (36 years old for two pairs of curtains), and they're in our third Victortian house), and the sunlight is slowly turning them into holes connected by some fragile fabric. It's fascinating to see how some printed colours of the curtain turn into holes much faster than others.

We had to change the net curtains after the kittens grew up into adult cats. It turns out 20yo lace is a poor climbing frame for an active Maine Coon kitten. Who'd have guessed?

Why do we bother? Well, our current house is much further from a busy pavement and road than our previous two. It's all of 6 feet away, the previous ones had pavement asphalt up to the house wall. Have you seen DAZ model Northern Terrace Street? Well, our first two houses were a pretty much like that, and I'm not keen on living in a fish bowl with people staring in at any time of day or night.

Regards,

Richard

edited June 3

In my parent's old farm house, the heavy drapes and underdrapes were good wind blocks in the winter for those 100 year old window frames that felt breezy when you walked by.  Just pull two layers of heavy cloth over the window and frame, and problem solved without a carpenter.enlightened  And why my current metal front door has a 3x4 foot window in it I can only assume was because that door was on sale when the building owner refurbished the apartment.frown  Anybody driving down the street or standing on my porch can see everything.  And I like to walk around nearly naked (tanktop, gym shorts & flip-flops) much of the time in summer.  The door is not my property, I can't drill a hole in it to mount proper curtains, so I hold a towel over the window with strong magnets (yay, another thing my engineering degree was good for).yes

Note:  Being nearly naked much of the time was a Florida habit and was publicly acceptable when I was young, beefy, and handsome.  But these days, nobody appreciates seeing a grizzled, hairless, saggy, old ape, even if only semi-au-naturel.indecision

edited June 3

Non-complaint:  Yay, my patience has triumphed again!  I've noticed that the movie "Dune Part 2"  is now available for only $5.99 US on "Prime".  I've watched it come down from $29.99, to $19.99 for purchase, and now finally at a sane price of $5.99 to rent.   I see most of the major movies this way, I wait 6 months or a year.frownenlightened 

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,142

LeatherGryphon said:

The door is not my property, I can't drill a hole in it to mount proper curtains, so I hold a towel over the window with strong magnets (yay, another thing my engineering degree was good for).yes

Have you considered the Command brand of hangers?  They make some pretty sturdy things that can hold more than a pair of light weight curtains one a small curtain rod.  Maybe you can find some that will work for you and look better than a towed with magnets.  I used a small pair to make hold backs for the curtains in our guest room, right on the wall next to the window.  They're holding up nicely, and you can't really tell.  And if you change your mind about the position or anything, you can easily take them off.

LeatherGryphon said:

Non-complaint:  Yay, my patience has triumphed again!  I've noticed that the movie "Dune Part 2"  is now available for only $5.99 US on "Prime".  I've watched it come down from $29.99, to $19.99 for purchase, and now finally at a sane price of $5.99 to rent.   I see most of the major movies this way, I wait 6 months or a year.frownenlightened 

They Left it open for a part three.  The rain hasn't fallen upon Arrakis yet.

edited June 4

DanaTA said:

LeatherGryphon said:

The door is not my property, I can't drill a hole in it to mount proper curtains, so I hold a towel over the window with strong magnets (yay, another thing my engineering degree was good for).yes

Have you considered the Command brand of hangers?  They make some pretty sturdy things that can hold more than a pair of light weight curtains one a small curtain rod.  Maybe you can find some that will work for you and look better than a towed with magnets.  I used a small pair to make hold backs for the curtains in our guest room, right on the wall next to the window.  They're holding up nicely, and you can't really tell.  And if you change your mind about the position or anything, you can easily take them off.

Well, I hadn't considered them, but I don't know why not.enlightened  They could probably work.  I have perused the window coverings isle at Walmarts and seen some interestingly functional and aestheticly better suited than a 16 year old, faded, tan colored, plain towel.blush  I'd probably get it locally.  I really don't like buying fabric stuff over the Internet because I can't feel it.  Heft and flow mean a lot in the choice of a fabric.  I'll think about it some more.

kyoto kid said:

ArtAngel said:

....there's an episode of the British poliical satire show Spitting Image from 2020 that...well...seems to be on a similar theme.

I can say no more.

I absolutely love, love love British TV.BBC. In Newfoundland we Once proudly flew the Union Jack, I'd watch BBC like there was no tomorrow. I was addicted to Some Mothers Do AV-EM, Faulty Towers etc. So guess what I'm doing now LOL. Googleing Splitting Image. LOL. God I miss British humor. I actually miss how humor was before the killer culture crucified it.

LeatherGryphon said:

I've got a towel over the window in my entry door.indecision  And blinds on all the other windows.  But I remember drapes.  My mother was good with a sewing machine and we had nice heavy drapes and under drapes on all the windows in our good sized farm home.  She created a wonderful 1950s American home ambience.  My grandmother had lace underdrapes on her windows.  I remember her yearly task of washing them and then assembling the special stretching frame to let them dry without wrinkles at the proper size.  

We too have a towel over the window of the door. It was just there when we moved in. We saw no reason to fix something that was already working.

towel over door window 

edited June 4

ArtAngel said:

kyoto kid said:

ArtAngel said:

I can say no more.

I absolutely love, love love British TV.BBC. In Newfoundland we Once proudly flew the Union Jack, I'd watch BBC like there was no tomorrow. I was addicted to Some Mothers Do AV-EM, Faulty Towers etc. So guess what I'm doing now LOL. Googleing Splitting Image. LOL. God I miss British humor. I actually miss how humor was before the killer culture crucified it.

...the scenes I alluded are are near the end of the US Election Special (Part 2) at the 18:04 mark again at around 18:05 marks.

I can say no more.

As to Window coverings my apartment has nice thick vertical blinds that keep it dark when the sun starts coming up around 05:00 so I'm not woken up so early.

line break.jpg
    700 x 3 - 1K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited June 4

Complaint:  The weather's beautiful today, and will be tomorrow too.  I want to go into the city tomorrow, but I can't bring myself to justify it.sad  No need to go, other than want.  Want a restaurant breakfast and/or lunch, want to go to JCPenney to buy new summer short pants that fit, and want to buy snacks & candy.  But don't need.no  And any trip into the city always ends up costing me about $50 (restaurant meal $10+, plus Uber fee $25+, plus any store purchases) and not counting the $2 bus fare.  I can only justify doing that once a month.  Last month I needed to do it four times for doctor appointments.  Guess I'll just stay home and wait 'till I get my next SS deposit(3rd Wednesday).  I'll have to satisfy my itch-to-spend on necessary things that I can get from Amazon, like non-perishable foodstuffs in bulk.indecision  But even that isn't necessary.  I currently have enough stock in my pantry to last at least 4 months without rationing.  But it gets mighty boring without a restaurant meal now and then.

Non-complaint:  Getting foodstuffs from Amazon is sometimes cheaper than from the grocery store.  I just got 12 cans of Bumblebee canned Pink Salmon for $47.12 ($3.93 per can) and the cost per can in the local grocery is $6.50.yes  I've found other things in the local store that are similarly cheaper via Amazon, but you gotta do your homework, make sure you have your shipping taken care of.  I already pay for Amazon Prime so I get many things free of shipping, which would otherwise be a deal breaker.  I order a lot of things shipped free from Amazon each month, probably saving two to four times the cost of the monthly Prime fee($16.19 that includes free shipping and PrimeTV streaming TV subscriptionyes).   Now, if I could just find someone to take all these empty boxes off my hands.frown

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 9,823
    edited June 4

Non-Complaint; Summer is here, the nights are short and still getting shorter

Complaint; Grass is still growing frown

LOD.JPG
    433 x 85 - 14K
    Post edited by PerttiA on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,652

NylonGirl said:

LeatherGryphon said:

We too have a towel over the window of the door. It was just there when we moved in. We saw no reason to fix something that was already working.

towel over door window 

I like solid doors for just that reason. Privacy and safety. You may want to consider putting something a little more solid over that glass.

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 627

Non-complaint: the new water tank (to replace the one that cracked on Christmas Day and sent 25,000 litres of rainwater down the hill) is in place and the fittings DIDN"T LEAK! My son is the happiest I have seen him in months. It is now just over half full with $350 town water delivered by tanker this morning. My son will spend this afternoon connecting the new tank to the pump and maybe, just maybe, I will be able to turn on a tap this evening and water will gush out.

...I agree the prices are sometimes better (and I don't have to worry about waht I'm looking for at the local Safeway being out of stock (or discounted which is happening with more and more regularity as of late).

For example, I just ran out of sunflower oil (healthier than the mainstream types of cooking oils and excellent sorce  of Vitamin E).  The local Safeway wants 11.99$ for a .5L bottle.  Whole Paycheque has their brand for only 6.30$ (which I find rather odd as they are usually the most expensive in town) but that requires riding transit and paying a  fare to get to.  On Prime found the same size of one of the top brands for only 5.98$ with free shipping, so placed the order which should arrive Thursday morning. 

The downside is I have to use my normal debit card as the monthly EBT food benefit I receive isn't SNAP but what is called "EBT Cash" (It changes from SNAP at age 65 for some odd reason).  As Amazon only accepts SNAP, I still need to trek to a local market for my larger grocery purchases where I can use my  EBT card (guess that qualifies as a complaint).

URrrRRRggGGGG. Spent 6 months building this aviary to replace an unsafe wrought iron aviary . Despite this  aviary being a safe haven with screens & plexiglass etc, I found one of my canaries with her leg caught on a wire shelf (from a well know hobby store), that houses cuttle bone. The Canary was hanging upside down covered in blood. Her wing appears to be broken from trying to flap free. Her leg is covered in blood alnost severed. When I found her she was trying to chew off her leg band. Its broken, bloody and I've taken the bird inside into a small 30" cage. This has happened twice before since 2005. The first one, I had to amputate it's leg (was banded). It was during the time we covered Lucas Oil Races,  and I remember bringing it to the hyatt Hotel in a suitcase during it's healing process. The second happened several monthas ago, a Mannekin finch, I discovered just after it happened and it recovered in a hospital cage (a bandless bird). I hate those leg bands angry. The  leg won't survive and right now the bird is in shock gaping in pain and would not survive me treating it. Not sure how much blood's been lost, but I dread cauterizing it and pray I don't have to. URRRRGGGG! 

Wounded Canary.JPG
    1752 x 1319 - 332K
    Aviary1.JPG
    1822 x 1365 - 597K
    Aviary2.JPG
    1776 x 1322 - 563K