The Sky is Falling Complaint Thread

Comments

• NylonGirlNylonGirl Posts: 1,628

Well, the birds seem to be doing pretty well in our neighborhood. Of course they all live outside in the trees. And the bunny in the backyard is doing well. I suspect he favors the taste of our weeds over the neighbor's perfect grass. It's like a big salad.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,055

Complaint: Headache. 'Nuff said.

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,388

ArtAngel said:

URrrRRRggGGGG. Spent 6 months building this aviary to replace an unsafe wrought iron aviary . Despite this  aviary being a safe haven with screens & plexiglass etc, I found one of my canaries with her leg caught on a wire shelf (from a well know hobby store), that houses cuttle bone. The Canary was hanging upside down covered in blood. Her wing appears to be broken from trying to flap free. Her leg is covered in blood alnost severed. When I found her she was trying to chew off her leg band. Its broken, bloody and I've taken the bird inside into a small 30" cage. This has happened twice before since 2005. The first one, I had to amputate it's leg (was banded). It was during the time we covered Lucas Oil Races,  and I remember bringing it to the hyatt Hotel in a suitcase during it's healing process. The second happened several monthas ago, a Mannekin finch, I discovered just after it happened and it recovered in a hospital cage (a bandless bird). I hate those leg bands angry. The  leg won't survive and right now the bird is in shock gaping in pain and would not survive me treating it. Not sure how much blood's been lost, but I dread cauterizing it and pray I don't have to. URRRRGGGG! 

Ahhh, poor birdy.  

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,325
    edited June 5

Complaint:  Rain  & humidity.  Agreed, they usually travel together, but that doesn't make them my friends.  Back in Florida 30 years ago, I could tolerate it without complaint, it's a way of life down there.  But these days, up here near Buffalo, its only saving grace is that it waters the crops, and gives me something to kvetch about.  No sunshine here until Sunday.  But at least it's not going to be hot and will stay in the 70sF during the day.  So, I have my fans moving the air, helping evaporation.  And I'm helping too, by lounging around in Florida summer attire.  It could be worse, I could be living in Florida.frown

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,597
    edited June 5

Non-complaint. @AgitatedRiot Canary on antibiotics and still alive. But yeah, poor bird is trying so hard to survive. I do admire resilience and if any one bird deserves to survive this one does.

Complaint. New 14ft  shed bult 2 days ago, has 2x4's with mold.Spent all morning spraying with Concrobium, wiping and spraying.  I tore down the old one because I was too cheap to pay 750.00 for it to be torn down by the shed builder. Ironically I have moved that shed so many times. To buld the pool, to pour concrete etc.After they put it back, I dismantled and  I rebuilt that sucker in a new location,back in 2015. Sorry for using a few hundred screws and building it so solid. This is the second metal/aluminum shed I dismantled. The first one I folded into 15 inch squares and filled the recycling bin. This last one I folded into 4x6 pieces and threw into my Tundra truck. For anyone wondering an aluminum shed 6x10 recled as scrap metal is worth 23.00 dollars.

Non-Complaint . . . sort of . . . Termites are falling from the sky. Out in our pool about 2 dozen drowning. Video taped a dozen Phoebes (fly catchers) swooping catching to feed their young. They built a nest in the eve of our house five years ago. This year they built it in the spa. Had to rip it our and out the remains on a plant saucer to help her relocate. She relocated back to the eve. Spent an hour out in the spa, video taping them, and yes they swoop up and fall from the sky. Hubby has a Samsung 21 I have a 15 Pro Max iphone. Guessing we got some good stuff.

moving the Shed.JPG
    1788 x 998 - 261K
    Post edited by ArtAngel on

The termites in the sky almost certainly have something to do with the sky falling.

edited June 6

Complaint:  Leaky faucet;  I am reminded of the images of comedy movies where the idiot tries to do his own minor plumbing, and it all goes wrong.  I've had a drippy faucet in the kitchen sink for at least 6 months.  "Drip, drip, drip" audible in my office/lab/livingroom.frown  So, I plopped a plastic mesh pot scrubber under the drip so it wouldn't make noise.  Problem solved, for a while.  But the faucet still had a surprise for me.  For some reason, when I turned on the water, it decided to worm its way past the threads of the aerator at the end of the spout and ooze, out the top of the aerator, ever more forcefully over time, up the faucet shaft and eventually stealthily into my pants zipper area.frown  OK, this is getting annoying.  So, I draped a dishcloth over the faucet spout that would catch the spraying streams as they emerged.  But even that kept getting worse and I'd get contaminated dishrag water dripping into my coffee cup every morning. 

With the problem having percolated in my brain for 6 months I felt it was time to fix the problem.enlightened The fix for the dripping is a new washer in one or both valves and is not a job I want to tackle yet.  But the spraying aerator might be within my capability.  I dig into my meager toolchest and find a simple pair of pliers with the ability to grab and twist the aerator to unthread it.  Oof, hard to do, but I eventually got it off and discovered that the threads on the faucet have been stripped.surprise  But the faucet without an aerator is just ugly and continues to drain the long arching faucet for a second or two after I turn off the valve (I never realized that the aerator had that duty. Cool!)  So, at that point the aerator is off the faucet, I don't like the ugly, nor the extended draining, and decided to try to put the aerator back on with some teflon thread tape to seal the leak.   I get the aerator on, carefully managing the threads, nice and tight, turn on the water, and a thin, solid stream of water shot out of the top of the aerator threads at least 3 feet into the air directly above the sink and saturated one end of a fresh roll of paper towels in the rack above the sink.  Arghhh...sad  

Now, the aerator is again off the faucet and all last night I had a brand new roll of paper towels unrolled and strung around my kitchen, drying.  This morning I tried rolling it up again but discovered that manually re-rolling paper towels neatly enough to still fit in the dispenser without jamming is impossible.indecision  So I just fan-folded the now dry, but semi-wrinkled sheets of paper towel.  but I now have a 6 inch high pile of wrinkly paper towels sitting on an inconveniently improvised shelf.  It works, but is ugly.  But I'll live.  Yeah, yeah, I could have thown out the wet towels, but that's wastetful.  I hate being any more wasteful than necessary.  And I already threw away a whole roll of towels a few months ago when the roll came out of the holder and fell into the dishwater.(*sigh*)

And in the end of this phase of the issue, my faucet, is till ugly and still drips.no  Now, where's that plastic pot scrubber?

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,893

It looks like it is going to rain.  I'm at Taco Bell eating outside.  I don't feel like walking home.  Bus isn't an option though.

Keeping paper towels directly over the sink seems like an accident waiting to happen. Just saying.

• richardandtracyrichardandtracy Posts: 5,326
    edited June 6

LeatherGryphon said:

And in the end of this phase of the issue, my faucet, is till ugly and still drips.no  Now, where's that plastic pot scrubber?

I can sympathise. I have a drippy kitchen hot water tap.  We had the hot water tank changed a few weeks ago, and I took the opportunity of the water being drained down to take the tap apart, change the washer and grind down the tap seat (which was showing erosion and wormholing). All done. Tap not dripping.

FOR 4 DAYS.

Four measley days. The tap seat is eroded again. What is the tap made out of? Chewing gum?!?

I'm seriously thinking of moulding a compliant tap seat so any flint (yes, flint the stone, our water system went in in 1912 and has had 'eccentricities' flow through the pipes over the years) or limescale will just deform the seat rather than damage it.

Regards,

Richard

Post edited by richardandtracy on
    edited June 6

TJohn said:

Keeping paper towels directly over the sink seems like an accident waiting to happen. Just saying.

It's the only place for it in my kitchen.  Small kitchen, lots of cabinets all full of food, dishes, & pans.  Shelf space, practically non-existant.  Wall space inconvenient unless I want to turn around, and reach past the refrigerator to get to the back wall.  Yeah, I knew it was going to be a problem, but where it is, above the sink, is a very convenient place for it.  It works fine unless I yank hard when tearing off a sheet, or if my water decides to go vertically up instead of down.indecision  Incidentally, when the water shot straight up, it not only hit the paper towel roll mounted to the underside of a cabinet, but it also hit the underside of the cabinet and splattered in all directions, including into my face, the window, the gazillion collectable cheap ceramic animals displayed there, and wet the boxes of foodstuff that happened to be on the sink drain area.  Wheee..., a mini-adventure.indecision

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,597
    edited June 6

LeatherGryphon said:

TJohn said:

It's the only place for it in my kitchen.  Small kitchen, lots of cabinets all full of food, dishes, & pans.  Shelf space, practically non-existant.  Wall space inconvenient unless I want to turn around, and reach past the refrigerator to get to the back wall.  Yeah, I knew it was going to be a problem, but where it is, above the sink, is a very convenient place for it.  It works fine unless I yank hard when tearing off a sheet, or if my water decides to go vertically up instead of down.indecision

I need a note from God to find space on my counters. Once you get a toaster, a coffee-maker, there's hardly any room left but a foot here or there between double sings sinks and a stove top. So I bought a cheap cabinet online and repainted it and stuck the paper towel rack there. It works . . . sorta . . . if you ignore the drip puddles on the floorsurprise

Post edited by ArtAngel on

I somehow got a free Apple keyboard from a charity I went to this morning.  It was sitting there and I hoped it would work with my iPhone.  Hopefully when I can afford  an iPad it will work with that too.

I don't like typing on the screen of the iPhone as I keep pressing the wrong buttons.

I'm feeling much better now.  smiley

TJohn said:

I'm feeling much better now.  smiley

I'm glad you feel better. We should all celebrate by listening to Big Greasy Taco's first album. It's underrated.

I think the mail I am expecting is coming tomorrow?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,766
    edited June 9

ArtAngel said:

LeatherGryphon said:

TJohn said:

It's the only place for it in my kitchen.  Small kitchen, lots of cabinets all full of food, dishes, & pans.  Shelf space, practically non-existant.  Wall space inconvenient unless I want to turn around, and reach past the refrigerator to get to the back wall.  Yeah, I knew it was going to be a problem, but where it is, above the sink, is a very convenient place for it.  It works fine unless I yank hard when tearing off a sheet, or if my water decides to go vertically up instead of down.indecision

I need a note from God to find space on my counters. Once you get a toaster, a coffee-maker, there's hardly any room left but a foot here or there between double sings sinks and a stove top. So I bought a cheap cabinet online and repainted it and stuck the paper towel rack there. It works . . . sorta . . . if you ignore the drip puddles on the floorsurprise

...yeah same here.  As I may have mentioned before, my kitchen is about the same size as a galley on a Boeing 737 (which also accomodates the coat closet and room for the apartment door to swing open) so counter space is almost non existent. That said I have an air fryer, a toaster, an electric can opener, a dish drying rack (I don't mess up enough items in a day to warrant running the dishwasher (which  I used to store plates and cups in instead)  and one of those vertical holders for paper towels (I also have a fair amount of cast iron cookware which by no means should ever go in a dishwasher).

I had to give up my late 1950s Mixmaster (which still worked like a charm), my hand  crank pasta maker, and several other useful small appliances as I literally have no space to roll dough out on for baking or even preparing some meals.. Storage space is at a premium as well as it is very difficult to reach upper shelf of the cabinets (even though I am somewhat tall) without a lot of effort and a bit of pain due to limited shoulder movement so I store things up there that I infrequently use.  Still I make the best of it and dream about one of those kitchens with a professional 6 burner gas stove in a middle island, conventional and convection ovens, and plenty of counter area as well as storage space. (the house I grew up in back in the 1950s & 60s even had a separate pantry room, talk about being spoiled).

Post edited by kyoto kid on

I've been trying to figure out the point of wall ovens. It's like you have to have a separate place for your oven and your cooktop. It takes up more space than a regular stove with no additional functionality. It's like the only reason to have it is because your kitchen is so huge that you can do this.

...indeed I'd love to have a professional kitchen I can actually move around in and have a lot of counter workspace for prep purposes as well as storage. which includes a separate twin door refrigerator and freezer.  A real pizza oven wouldn't be a bad addition either.   

I'd rather have that than a fully decked out home cinema and game room (however the Lego™ room is still a requirement).

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,142
    edited June 9

Complaint: DAZ is messing with the store pages...again!  Well, maybe more precisely, the individual product pages, and the Product Library pages.  And it broke the DAZ Deals add-on, even though I only use the free version.  Wish they would add those guys back to "affilliate" status and have their stuff work right with the pages!  sad

Post edited by DanaTA on
    edited June 9

...interesting, I  also only use the free version and seems to be working for me. Just checked an older item in the store and everything is there, the "Pricing History", the "Recent Best" price and the notification link. The filters in the upper left hand corner on the main store pages, all work fine.

Wonder if it my be a Google thing (if you use Chrome)  and some kind of update broke it   Still on W7 Pro here and I no longer get the latest Google updates.  This might also be the reason I never got hit by adverts like everyone else here did.

Of course YouTube is a bit "wonky" now as I have to go to my desktop and back to the video I was on before I can reply to comments.  Don't get adverts there either though unless the creator of the video includes a plug for a service they use and that is easy to bypass.  

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,142

kyoto kid said:

...interesting, I  also only use the free version and seems to be working for me. Just checked an older item in the store and everything is there, the "Pricing History", the "Recent Best" price and the notification link. The filters in the upper left hand corner on the main store pages, all work fine.

Wonder if it my be a Google thing (if you use Chrome)  and some kind of update broke it   Still on W7 Pro here and I no longer get the latest Google updates.  This might also be the reason I never got hit by adverts like everyone else here did.

Of course YouTube is a bit "wonky" now as I have to go to my desktop and back to the video I was on before I can reply to comments.  Don't get adverts there either though unless the creator of the video includes a plug for a service they use and that is easy to bypass.  

No, it's DAZ fooling with the pages.  Probably rolling them out on just certain people, test groups.  It will probably catch up with you eventually.  There's been talk about it in the DAZ Deals forum.  It broked the add-on pretty badly, but Ati or actually Overdrawn made a fix...hasn't propagated to the app stores for Chrome and others yet. 

...OK thanks for the warning. 

What gets me why they always seem to to mess around with the store during the Daz+ sales. I remember one year it was so bad that it was almost impossible to buy anything during the last few days of the sale. 

I dreamt last night, I took all my bed clothes and pillows somewhere and had to drag them around everywhere.  Why didn't I leave the sheets, pillows, etc at home and on my bed?

• AgitatedRiotAgitatedRiot Posts: 4,388

Sfariah D said:

I dreamt last night, I took all my bed clothes and pillows somewhere and had to drag them around everywhere.  Why didn't I leave the sheets, pillows, etc at home and on my bed?

Ha, you were dreaming you were Linus from Charlie Brown. You just wanted a pillow for a change.

Non-complaint:  Yesterday was Saturday and the weather had a few hours of walkable weather between the storms, so I put on a better shirt, and walked on up to the grocery store for a few things.  On the way, I passed the little town park, across the road, where there is a round bandstand, a picnic pavilion, a playground, and a paved basketball court. I can see it from my kitchen window. It's usually empty, and just looks nice.  But on Saturday there were about 15 cars parked in the paved parking lot(i.e. full), and about 30-40 people gathered around the pavilions.  I based on the ages, of many of the attendees, I think it was probably a high-school graduation party.  

Complaint:  Landlord is making worrisome noises.  Change of building management, and current neighbors are leaving.  I'd just gotten used to them over the last 3 or 4 years.  We live in different worlds, but they were tolerable neighbors except when he goes on an angry yelling spree, or when the police surround the house and hide behind their cars.  Now where will my excitement come from?frown

I am having difficulty finding something to get with my DAZ+ coupon but the filters aren't working right.

Oh dear my computer battery is low which means I need to find the charger.

• lorraineopualorraineopua Posts: 627

Non-complaint: it has finally stopped raining, hoorah! Blue sky; happy, chirpy birds; and a warm breeze. Sadly, only a break before the next winter storm but I'll take it. 

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,039

Amusing discovery... Go to O'Reilly Auto Parts website and in the search bar type in "121G"... Let me know what you find.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,039

lorraineopua said:

Non-complaint: it has finally stopped raining, hoorah! Blue sky; happy, chirpy birds; and a warm breeze. Sadly, only a break before the next winter storm but I'll take it. 

Hey, Lorraine! How've you been?  I was visiting Hivewire the other day and was wondering how you've been doing... (you used to have a thread I'd post in)... Actually... You are the same Lorraine that lives on a boat... right?... if not ignore that and hello anyway!