UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• Sounds like a bug report to the Octane plug-in's developer is required.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 24,019

I found the problem! The culprit is Octane Render. 

I removed the Octane Render plug-in and Ultra Scatter miraculously worked perfectly. This is odd because I wasn't ever trying to render anything...

Great! You could report that to customer service, so they could help other people with the same issue, but I don't know if they keep a database of that kind of thing or not.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

barbult said:

I removed the Octane Render plug-in and Ultra Scatter miraculously worked perfectly. This is odd because I wasn't ever trying to render anything...

Great! You could report that to customer service, so they could help other people with the same issue, but I don't know if they keep a database of that kind of thing or not.

Yep, I've done so. Thanks!

edited March 2017

barbult said:

Yep, I've done so. Thanks!

Good. I hope CS can use that information to help other people. I'm so happy you got the problem isolated. I think you are going to have a lot of fun with UltraScatter now. Post a render of your Terradome project. Here is one I did while trying to see if I could replicate your problem.

Red maple scattered terradome 3 snake charmer_008.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by barbult on
  • erik leemanerik leeman Posts: 262

Great find Leonides!

Completely uninstalling the Octane for DAZ Studio plugin may not be necessary though.

My Windows 10 laptop has an NVIDIA graphics card, so I have Octane on it too, just like on my PC.

But since my Octane license can only be activated on one of them at one time, it normally isn't on that laptop.

And UltraScatter works fine on that laptop, even with the Octane for DAZ Studio plugin installed (but inactive).

So there's something to try.

VERY unfortunate and cumbersome regardless, I really hope a better solution can be found a.s.a.p.

Cheers!

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

I spent a significant amount of time going through most of the pages in this thread yesterday. I was looking for anything specific to TerraDome 3 Iray, but picked up a lot of good information along the way. I especially appreciated Will's tip about using the Geometry Editor to isolate the area of the target to what is in the camera viewport.

I did run into a problem trying to copy the default parameters from the terrain of TD3_AZone to my new surface. In the end, I renamed the default to terrain1 and the new surface to terrain, and then reapplied the landscape materials. I thought I'd share that here, in case any one else runs into the same problem.

• HowieFarkesHowieFarkes Posts: 606

Version 1.1 released (free update to all current owners)

Changes in 1.1

- up to 10x faster than version 1.0
    - live preview changes (no need to re-scatter to change preview type)
    - scale x, y, z axes individually

edited May 2017

I installed the update with Daz Connect and tried to rescatter an instance group that was scattered with the previous version. I got this error and it didn't bring up the UltraScatter interface. sad

2017-05-26 00:40:53.634 WARNING: Script Error: Line 286
    2017-05-26 00:40:53.634 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'hf_app.constants' [undefined] is not an object.
    2017-05-26 00:40:53.634 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/Daz Connect Data/data/cloud/1_33477/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse:286
    2017-05-26 00:40:56.182 Loading script: D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/Daz Connect Data/data/cloud/1_33477/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse
    2017-05-26 00:40:56.182 WARNING: Script Error: Line 286
    2017-05-26 00:40:56.182 WARNING: TypeError: Result of expression 'hf_app.constants' [undefined] is not an object.
    2017-05-26 00:40:56.182 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/Daz Connect Data/data/cloud/1_33477/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse:286
    2017-05-26 00:40:56.182 Error in script execution: D:/DAZ 3D/Studio/Daz Connect Data/data/cloud/1_33477/scripts/ultrascatter/ultrascatter.dse

Edit: The same kind of error occurs if I create a new scene and try to scatter primitives. You had to fix the previous version of UltraScatter to work with Daz Connect. Does this version suffer from the same problem (won't work if installed with Daz Connect)?

Edit 2: When creating a new scatter I got an error in line 337 instead of 286.

Hmm, I don't know. It passed through QA but I don't know whether check DazConnect or not. There's no real way for me to test that... 

I just installed through Install Manager and it seemed OK. I'll have to talk to someone at Daz.

edited May 2017

Hmm, I don't know. It passed through QA but I don't know whether check DazConnect or not. There's no real way for me to test that... 

Perhaps you could look back at what you did to fix it for Daz Connect after the first release. I'll submit a bug report, too, to get it on the Daz QA radar.

Edit: Help Request #244561 submitted.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,144

Just to let you know that I updated with DIM and it worked OK for me (Wondows 10). I do not appear to be getting a live preview though, is there something you need to do to activate that, or does it only work for certain settings?

PhilW said:

Just to let you know that I updated with DIM and it worked OK for me (Wondows 10). I do not appear to be getting a live preview though, is there something you need to do to activate that, or does it only work for certain settings?

Live preview means you can alter the preview type without re-scattering. So it requires you to actually do the scatter first. Before to change the preview type from bounding box to object or none required rescattering which could take a long time. Also requires the scatter to be created with v1.1 before it works.

It doesn't mean that changes to other settings will be reflected in the viewport before you commit to a scatter.

PhilW said:

Live preview means you can alter the preview type without re-scattering. So it requires you to actually do the scatter first. Before to change the preview type from bounding box to object or none required rescattering which could take a long time. Also requires the scatter to be created with v1.1 before it works.

It doesn't mean that changes to other settings will be reflected in the viewport before you commit to a scatter.

Ah, OK, I misunderstood - still useful though - although not as useful as a full preview would have been (I accept this is probably not feasible, but I can dream!).

• AtiAti Posts: 9,129

Help me out here, a little. :) I've just started playing with UltraScatter, and everything works fine except for the Attract/Repel features. I thought they would be obvious, but apparently, I'm doing something wrong.

I have a 100m x 100m plane, a 1m x 1m cube in the center, and a tree somewhere. I would like to place the trees on the plane randomly, but not around the cube.

I click "Affinity", set the type to "Repel", choose "cube" as the object. The cube is 1m x 1m, that's 100 cm. I don't want trees around it within 5 meters, so I enter 5000 for distance.

I click the "Scatter" button, and it places the trees randomly throughout the plane, not caring about the cube at all. What do I need to set to make the cube really repel the trees?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

You're right, something definitely seems screwy with attract/repel. Repel doesn't seem to work, attract works, but it doesn't seem to be applying Falloff at all.

At first I thought it might have something to do with mesh density, but I used a 256 segment plane (which is reasonably dense!) with no change in behavior.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Well, I will wait then to buy the UltraScatter product as it was in my shopping cart right now & I could of used it for a set of islands I am modeling. sad

edited May 2017

Well, I will wait then to buy the UltraScatter product as it was in my shopping cart right now & I could of used it for a set of islands I am modeling. sad

LOL, everyone loves islands, it seems. :))) As a test, I'm rendering an island with it right now... with 25,000 pine trees... If it works, I won't need VUE for anything... :)))

PS: I still have 3 gigs of RAM left... I'm sure I could add at least 10,000 more trees. Plus remove the ones that are not visible... This actually seems really good. I've been using Instances+, but UltraScatter seems to be a LOT faster.

Post edited by Ati on
    edited May 2017
    Ati said:

LOL, everyone loves islands, it seems. :))) As a test, I'm rendering an island with it right now... with 25,000 pine trees... If it works, I won't need VUE for anything... :)))

PS: I still have 3 gigs of RAM left... I'm sure I could add at least 10,000 more trees. Plus remove the ones that are not visible... This actually seems really good. I've been using Instances+, but UltraScatter seems to be a LOT faster.

Cool, post a render of it when you are done. My islands will be much less wooded, well maybe. I have to model mangroves and expect that there be a lot of them but fewer pine trees & palmettos.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

If you have render troubles with so many instances, check Render Settings for Instance Optimization. You may need to change from Speed to Memory.

Any word on why the update with Daz Connect prevents UltraScatter from working at all?

Note that the altitude and slope factors seem to work, just seeing problems with attract/repel

Also, for anyone using 3dl, you need to make sure the root objects are Base resolution; in High resolution shadows will not be calculated.

edited May 2017
    Ati said:

Cool, post a render of it when you are done. My islands will be much less wooded, well maybe. I have to model mangroves and expect that there be a lot of them but fewer pine trees & palmettos.

Sure, here it is. Nothing much, just a proof of concept at this stage, to see how UltraScatter works and how I can import terrains created in Blender.

Island_POC.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    Post edited by Ati on

@Ati, that looks great!

barbult said:

@Ati, that looks great!

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that at this distance, I could get away with cardboard trees as well. Ultrascatter does a great job, I have to say. I can even get around the repel feature not working by using distribution maps. Although it would be easier if I could somehow get that feature to work as well.

Ati said:
    Ati said:

Sure, here it is. Nothing much, just a proof of concept at this stage, to see how UltraScatter works and how I can import terrains created in Blender.

This looks really good. You should try and do a fall scene of the Vermont mountains sometime.

Ati said:
    Ati said:

Well I'd hate to have to place them all by hand!  Great work.

An image I did a while back when Ultrascatter first came out, but a good demonstration.

http://willbear.deviantart.com/art/Jungle-Island-630427618

edited May 2017
    barbult said:

Any word on why the update with Daz Connect prevents UltraScatter from working at all?

I've made what I think will fix it - and the affinity problem too. Will be submitting to Daz shortly.

Post edited by HowieFarkes on