UltraScatter - v1.5.0 released [Commercial]

Comments

• This is a quick experiment to examining how "UltraScatter Advanced Instancing for Daz Studio" works distributing an army of 500 skeletons on the "Through the Woods" model's uneven terrain in DAZ Studio and Iray. No post work

Somewhere, Ray Harryhausen is jumping up and down in glee, pointing and shouting "That's what I meant!"  

• dragotxdragotx Posts: 1,135
    PhilW said:

This experiment examines combining "UltraScatter Advanced Instancing for Daz Studio" and "Look At My Hair" in DAZ Studio and Iray.  I had to convert the LAMH fur to an object and then I could use UltraScatter to generate 100 HiveWire House Cats from 8 cats (4 grey, 4 orange, 4 long hair, 4 short hair and 8 poses). No post work. 15 min render

A belated response but this looks awesome - a wonderful experiment!

Thanks PhillW

Ultrascatter is so much like the surface replicator in Cararra :)

This is a quick experiment to examining how "UltraScatter Advanced Instancing for Daz Studio" works distributing an army of 500 skeletons on the "Through the Woods" model's uneven terrain in DAZ Studio and Iray. No post work

Oh that's awesome, and if I can get it to work (haven't had a chance to play with ultrascatter yet) it'll let me do a couple I always wanted to do but couldn't because my machine would melt most of Texas if I tried to render that many characters

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited October 2017

Out of curiosity, does Ultrascatter still crash when Octane is enabled? I just picked up the full version of Octane and am running into many issues now.

I posted over on the OTOY forums, but Paul (the developer) said that it is not an Octane issue, but an Ultrascatter issue.

-p

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on
  • I was playing with this last night and with the exception of doing multiple layers on one item it has a lot in common to Vue's ecosystem module. Can't wait to have some time to devote to it. Lots of fun!

• Out of curiosity, does Ultrascatter still crash when Octane is enabled? I just picked up the full version of Octane and am running into many issues now.

I posted over on the OTOY forums, but Paul (the developer) said that it is not an Octane issue, but an Ultrascatter issue.

-p

I can’t see that it is an UltraScatter issue. Using scripting I can only expose default Daz studio functionality - this is not a plugin that creates new functionality. I believe it is a problem with Octane being unable to render Instance Groups which are a standard feature of Studio.

• I can’t see that it is an UltraScatter issue. Using scripting I can only expose default Daz studio functionality - this is not a plugin that creates new functionality. I believe it is a problem with Octane being unable to render Instance Groups which are a standard feature of Studio.

Howie,
    I think your instinct may be correct, but Paul (the developer) may need a nudge to investigate the issue. Would you mind posting over on the OTOY forums?

Also, if you didn't see it, here is the log file from the error (see below). Ultrascatter works the first time. But when run again on a scattered object, then it throws this error. Also, when scattering a large number of instances (like 8,000+), Daz Studio crashes entirely. Octane must be disabled to avoid the crash and errors.

2017-10-07 13:10:25.192 Json Parser (1,1): Syntax error - expected '{' or '['
    2017-10-07 13:10:27.325 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    2017-10-07 13:10:27.342 WARNING: QWidget::setLayout: Attempting to set QLayout "" on QWidget "wgtGpuConfig", which already has a layout
    2017-10-07 13:10:27.342 WARNING: QString::arg: 1 argument(s) missing in <span style=font-size:9pt>Est. Textures: %1MB, Geometry & other: %2MB, Total Available To Octane: %3MB, Total VRAM: %4MB</span>
    2017-10-07 13:10:27.362 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    2017-10-07 13:10:27.418 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    2017-10-07 13:10:27.434 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    2017-10-07 13:10:27.436 WARNING: libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile
    2017-10-07 13:10:46.398 Loading script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
    2017-10-07 13:10:54.486 20 Instances created in 378 milliseconds.
    2017-10-07 13:10:54.565 Script executed successfully: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
    2017-10-07 13:10:57.229 Loading script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
    2017-10-07 13:11:03.369 WARNING: general\dzscript.cpp(639): Unhandled error while executing script.
    2017-10-07 13:11:03.369 WARNING: QScriptEngine::popContext() doesn't match with pushContext()
    2017-10-07 13:11:03.411 Script executed successfully: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
    2017-10-07 13:11:08.549 Loading script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
    2017-10-07 13:11:08.553 WARNING: Script Error: Line 1860
    2017-10-07 13:11:08.553 WARNING: Error: cannot access member `include' of deleted QObject
    2017-10-07 13:11:08.553 WARNING: Stack Trace:
    <anonymous>()@C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse:1860
    2017-10-07 13:11:08.554 Error in script execution: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
    2017-10-07 13:12:56.567 Loading script: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
    2017-10-07 13:12:56.571 WARNING: Script Error: Line 1860
    2017-10-07 13:12:56.571 WARNING: Error: cannot access member `include' of deleted QObject
    2017-10-07 13:12:56.571 WARNING: Stack Trace:
    <anonymous>()@C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse:1860
    2017-10-07 13:12:56.572 Error in script execution: C:/Users/Public/Documents/My DAZ 3D Library/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,934
    edited October 2017

ok this is awesome but it smokes my bran and now I'm at the end of my cunning.

the cube her has one bles side I sue to check the rotation thing. I used the sma map for rotation and distribution, in green ( see below) which should rotate only the y achis but the roll some other way as well and sink into the plane, so where do I go wrong. was imagining with that scne there would be a tunr around with that

Ultrascattertest1.png
    1000 x 800 - 518K
    ultraScatter-map_conegreen.png
    400 x 400 - 55K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 24,020
    Linwelly said:

ok this is awesome but it smokes my bran and now I'm at the end of my cunning.

the cube her has one bles side I sue to check the rotation thing. I used the sma map for rotation and distribution, in green ( see below) which should rotate only the y achis but the roll some other way as well and sink into the plane, so where do I go wrong. was imagining with that scne there would be a tunr around with that

To rotate on only the Y axis, your rotation map must have only neutral (mid gray) values in the red and blue channels. Your image is not created that way, so you are getting rotation on all axes. The attached screenshot shows each of the channels in your rotation map.

Linwelly channels.JPG
    233 x 182 - 15K

the pdf said the green channel drives the y achsis rotation and with the grey value circle I had them twist into the ground even worse,

Screenshot 2017-10-25 19.58.23.png
    1323 x 958 - 387K

I don't know what you mean by "grey value circle".  Did you change the rotation map to a grey image? If so, that is incorrect. You should be changing only the red and blue channels of the RGB image to solid mid tone value. Only the green channel should have values 0-255. The resulting image will look green and magenta, like the example in the PDF. Do you have an image editor (like Photoshop) that allows you to view and edit the individual RGB channels?

edited October 2017
    barbult said:

I don't know what you mean by "grey value circle".  Did you change the rotation map to a grey image? If so, that is incorrect. You should be changing only the red and blue channels of the RGB image to solid mid tone value. Only the green channel should have values 0-255. The resulting image will look green and magenta, like the example in the PDF. Do you have an image editor (like Photoshop) that allows you to view and edit the individual RGB channels?

I guess I start to understand, I have gimp, so yes I can see the channels, I didn't understand that  the other channels need to be evenly grey, for the rotation, this is more complicated than it seemed surprise

but when I use 255 to 0 I get the green to black as above... mghr, my brain...

Post edited by Linwelly on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

Basically, a lot of stuff is hand waving coordinates as color because both happen to have 3 values. That's really all it is.

So you can easily 'package' a set of XYZ coordinates as a RGB color map, and the program just goes 'oh, .8 Red is .8 X, ok' and there you go.

'Middle gray' for a color layer is just saying middle coordinate value.

If coordinates are being interpreted as rotation, middle value means 'no rotation' while max value is max rotation one way, min value is max rotation the other way, along whatever axis is associated with the color.

Thanks Will, but the strange thing is, now I tried with those values I now have a map where red and blue channels are really black and the green is green 255 and that one acutally turns my cubes only around the y axis. Now the funk I have have to find out why gimp is being wierd is, that I made that with the green and the magenta for the colour transition...  I'm kind of flabbergasted  but that is probably between me and gimp

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,970

ah, I was mistaken. I think it's not going - to + rotation, it's going 0 to 360 rotation.

So black is 'don't rotate.'

I've been working with Normals which are - to + value 

Well the pdf says the othehr channels need to be middle gray, so that would make your first post correct. I'll figure it out anotther day, today my brain is not responsive anymore :D

• Joe WebbJoe Webb Posts: 837

Make sure your image is saved as a .PNG   JPEGs can introduce artifacts that we can't see with the naked eye, but the computer picks up on and rotates slightly or greatly.  Just my 2 cents

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited October 2017

@HowieFarkes

Just a quick update from my post above, I spoke with the developer of Octane and he was able to fix the crashing issue when opening a scene file....which is awesome.

However, there is still the [unrelated?] error when re-running Ultrascatter on a scattered object (This is what the log file above is about). The log says there is an error in line 1860;

WARNING: Script Error: Line 1860 2017-10-07 13:11:08.553 WARNING:

Error: cannot access member `include' of deleted QObject

Can you elaborate on what this error is refering to? Perhaps I can investigate this issue myself if I knew what it meant. 

Thanks Howie,

-P

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on
    Joe Webb said:

Make sure your image is saved as a .PNG   JPEGs can introduce artifacts that we can't see with the naked eye, but the computer picks up on and rotates slightly or greatly.  Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the pointer, goot to keep in mind  but I'm afraid the problem still lies with how Gimp makes a gradient compared to photoshop

Linwelly said:
    Joe Webb said:

Thanks for the pointer, goot to keep in mind  but I'm afraid the problem still lies with how Gimp makes a gradient compared to photoshop

You should be painting your gradient only in the green channel, not in the RGB view, to be sure you do not change the red and blue from their mid values.

barbult said:
    Linwelly said:

You should be painting your gradient only in the green channel, not in the RGB view, to be sure you do not change the red and blue from their mid values.

oh.. that's possible?... seems I need to learn that. Going to google for that...

• @HowieFarkes

Just a quick update from my post above, I spoke with the developer of Octane and he was able to fix the crashing issue when opening a scene file....which is awesome.

However, there is still the [unrelated?] error when re-running Ultrascatter on a scattered object (This is what the log file above is about). The log says there is an error in line 1860;

WARNING: Script Error: Line 1860 2017-10-07 13:11:08.553 WARNING:

Error: cannot access member `include' of deleted QObject

Can you elaborate on what this error is refering to? Perhaps I can investigate this issue myself if I knew what it meant. 

Thanks Howie,

-P

Line 1860 is where the script starts to load the needed include files. So although it is line 1860 it is actually the first action the script takes which is trying to load the "constants" file. Now I don't know what Octane is doing but it "looks" to me like:

1. You attempt to run the script in DazStudio
    2. Studio creates a QObject of some sort which is the container for the script and its objects
    3. Octane deletes the QObject or somehow prevents it being created
    4. Script is unable to continue due to missing QObject

This is only conjecture on my part. UltraScatter is made using DazScript which is a scripting layer that exposes _some_ of Studio's functionality. As a script it does not have direct access to QObjects so not sure what I can do. What it looks like to me is that Octane is somehow creating a condition that prevents the script from even trying to run.

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 277

Hello

I can't run Ultrascatter V1.1.4 script in DS4.10.0.123. "An error occured while reading the file see the log for more detail" when I click on the script file

Here is the log

"2017-12-12 22:38:46.258 Loading script: D:/!Librairie DazStudio/Content/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
    2017-12-12 22:38:46.284 WARNING: Script Error: Line 130
    2017-12-12 22:38:46.284 WARNING: Error: Invalid arguments passed to Pixmap()
    2017-12-12 22:38:46.284 WARNING: Stack Trace:
        <anonymous>()@D:/!Librairie DazStudio/Content/scripts/ultrascatter/resources/scriptcomponents/hf_app.ultrascatter.ui.dse:130
    2017-12-12 22:38:46.285 Error in script execution: D:/!Librairie DazStudio/Content/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse"

Can someone help me?

Thanks

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,573
    edited December 2017
    smaker1 said:

Hello

I can't run Ultrascatter V1.1.4 script in DS4.10.0.123. "An error occured while reading the file see the log for more detail" when I click on the script file

Here is the log

"2017-12-12 22:38:46.258 Loading script: D:/!Librairie DazStudio/Content/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse
        <anonymous>()@D:/!Librairie DazStudio/Content/scripts/ultrascatter/resources/scriptcomponents/hf_app.ultrascatter.ui.dse:130
    2017-12-12 22:38:46.285 Error in script execution: D:/!Librairie DazStudio/Content/Scripts/UltraScatter/UltraScatter.dse"

Can someone help me?

Thanks

How did you install, Connect (Smart Content or install pane in DS) or Daz Install Manager?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    smaker1 said:

Hello

Here is the log

Can someone help me?

Thanks

How did you install, Connect (Smart Content or install pane in DS) or Daz Install Manager?

Thanks Richard

Via DIM in a temporary folder and then I copy the files in my definitive script folder.

• smaker1 said:
    smaker1 said:

Hello

Here is the log

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Thanks Richard

Via DIM in a temporary folder and then I copy the files in my definitive script folder.

Try installing with DIM and using that straight, just in case there's a folder name dependency that is being broken.

Your were right Richard!

It works now. It's the first time it happened.

Many thanks !

• WandererWanderer Posts: 957
    edited April 2018

I am not sure if this question has been answered before, so please forgive me if I've missed it. I've got a freebie that I'm trying to attach instances to, but no matter what I do, the instances orient so their bottom points to the ground rather than the item I'm trying to instance them to. The item is a freebie, so it may not be set up the way other items are--I had to import as obj. Is there an easy fix for me? (I'm working on an alternate solution, so it may take me a bit to check back on an answer.)

Post edited by Wanderer on
    Wanderer said:

I am not sure if this question has been answered before, so please forgive me if I've missed it. I've got a freebie that I'm trying to attach instances to, but no matter what I do, the instances orient so their bottom points to the ground rather than the item I'm trying to instance them to. The item is a freebie, so it may not be set up the way other items are--I had to import as obj. Is there an easy fix for me? (I'm working on an alternate solution, so it may take me a bit to check back on an answer.)

Check for an option to orient toward normals or something like that. I'm not on a computer with DS to check right now.

I will try that. Thank you, @barbult. I appreciate your help.

Align object to normal is already checked. I may substitute a different object and see if that works better.