virtual nickel 4 yor carrara thoughts: the next level

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,130

don' forget vertex modeling tools like loft and lathe.  If you use polylines can really speed up modeling a wine glass.

edited April 2018

Example of drawing polyline tool and lathe

The names of the attached pics give some basic tips

kk07 link points at zero.JPG
    1307 x 910 - 104K
    kk08 select all points.JPG
    1801 x 1007 - 134K
    kk09 use CONSTRUCTmenu lathe and see options on right including number of sections.JPG
    1808 x 910 - 117K
    kk10 clik edge at zero and use plus and minus to add sections if desired.JPG
    1897 x 920 - 132K
    kk11 shape as desired can add additional lines with edge tools if desire more shaping.JPG
    1733 x 947 - 106K
    kk14 extract around to brace middle bulge.JPG
    1329 x 892 - 99K
    kk15 smoothing after bracing.JPG
    1654 x 898 - 116K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    Diomede said:

Example of drawing polyline tool and lathe

The names of the attached pics give some basic tips

screenshot says 2 meshes?

nice low polycount. smiley

Have already closed the file, but I bet the second mesh is the original polyline if I forgot to delete it.

how do you select the original polyline to delete it?

It might be hidden in your glass mesh.  Double click your glass mesh to select the whole thing.  Move it to the side to reveal the polyline.  Delete the polyline.  Select the glass and restore it to the origin.

Diomede said:

It might be hidden in your glass mesh.  Double click your glass mesh to select the whole thing.  Move it to the side to reveal the polyline.  Delete the polyline.  Select the glass and restore it to the origin.

yessmiley thanks

edited April 2018

tee heee

spent the last couple hous of my life lookin for the  utoob tutt with the flag blowin in the point force. the left edges were non moving.

need one of those hanging from an elfmage's lower neck >.<

i'm pretty sure i watched about a month ago, not showing my utoob history.

this makin me hungry for a sundae

yes! yes!

not quite

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Retro LadRetro Lad Posts: 471

In the next major upgrade I would like them to add much larger navigation camera controls, like the ones in Bryce. It makes it easier to move about for me. Dinky controls drive me nuts.

i place cone primitives around my scenes to 0 to those points. 

trick is remembering to hide them at final render time.

soft body volume needs a thread all its own.  dropped a softbody cube, dropped oay, wanted it to squish a bit at impact.

in technical details, how do you bail out a boat from the ocean pimitive?  
    boat shaped negative metaball?
    will have to switch to unflatable raft, its flat bottomed
    same problem with the paddleboat, needs to sit in the water, not hover on top.
    doh, didnt think these scenes thru

how do you sit a winged fairy in a pew?

2am already, wont be solved tnite fer sure 

bump map leaves the silhouette smooth.  want those vein maps to show for close ups.

trying to sleep, but fretting over those veins in my dream hubba hubba dude's forearms

thinkin, to use hd g3m version in carrara, would havd to export subdivided mesh as the 'base' mesh.  but then every morph i need would need to be exported at the subd level and reimpoerted to work on the new hd base mesh.  only for close-ups tho. thats a lot of polys for an animation.

would be more restful to dream about pineapples

• Persona Non GrataPersona Non Grata Posts: 1,365
    edited March 2021

Post edited by Persona Non Grata on

dragon is a predator, eyes would be forward on his head like an eagle. or cat.  catlike dragon  tee hee

birds dont run and leap, dont need to go vertical straight up first .  do they wait for a breeze first?
    how do butterflies manage their take off

is it possible they pruning their utoob tutts?

still cant find the flag one with the flow force  

, it was like, carrara 8.0 soft bofy dynamics

something about validate

lovely picture of a champagne glass for guide devil

it does have thickness in the stem.  not sure whats going on in the bottom there.

surprise  actual pictures of clouds from topside!!

makin me goosebumps.  want to render this 

http://solarviews.com/eng/cloud1.htm

earthcloudsfromspace.JPG
    950 x 647 - 113K
    edited May 2018

shaders have tick box to save internally 

watched an o'reilly tutt.  says to use glow on the shader as a light surprise  with all the warning to use gamma correction.

ooo json tutt  https://www.w3schools.com/js/js_json_intro.asp

found it round about,

trying to learn how to stream my carrara mp4s from my website page, stead of utoob

tough dilemma.  nothing personal to daz, but i don't want my site to be a gallery of rendered daz content. >.<

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235
    Mistara said:

surprise  actual pictures of clouds from topside!!

makin me goosebumps.  want to render this 

You could try sculpting basic formations using vertex models and use McGuiver's method as he described here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/109476/particle-clouds-more

I used a simple torus as a test.

torus_cloud.jpg
    700 x 700 - 19K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,059

or surface replicate some on an outer invisible sphere

edited May 2018

interesting article for sff writers

http://writingwithcolor.tumblr.com/post/101967940901/wwc-guide-describing-asian-eyes

kinda torn by it.

i described some characters in terms of coffe,
    main character is a barista witch,
    thought it be cute she described the realm folks from her uniqur view

Thanks, interesting article. Will spend more time thinking about non-stereotypical ways to describe my characters.

If Brash Lonergan has freckles, should I not say so just because other people with freckles are sick and tired of reading that description?  And guess what?  Not all northwestern Europeans have freckles, and some people who live outside northwestern Europe do have freckles.  But does any of that stuff about other people's freckles or lack thereof matter?  What does matter, is that the character Brash Lonergan does have freckles, and it is the kind of thing that a person spending time with him would eventually notice, so the author is free to describe - or not - the freckles on his shoulders if he takes his shirt off.  And it is an adventure book, so we know his shirt his coming off. - probably for the cover art.  laugh  And there just might be a curvacious woman on the cover with him, not always Moxie.

RE: eyes - eyes are too important to not be described.

How much ink has been spent on describing Elizabeth Taylor's eyes?  a simple google search just had over 380,000 hits

Paul Newman's eyes?  simple search over 318,000 hits.

Humans seem to like looking into other humans' eyes.  Apparently, there are 10 subtle eye contact moves that always work (read it on the internet so must be true  wink).

https://www.lovepanky.com/flirting-flings/get-flirty/subtle-eye-contact-flirting

Having said all that, should make an effort to describe eyes of East Asian character or characters without clinical terms like the E-fold or well-worn tropes like almonds.  But if I don't mind using well-worn tropes like an "iron jaw" or "arched eybrow," then I don't see extra pressure to avoid almond eyes, if the character actually does have eyes resembling an almond shape.  I think the author of the article would agree that the specific characters in a story do not need to reflect the full array of eye shapes, sizes, and colors found throughout Asia, any more than Brash Lonergan must reflect the full diversity of northwestern Europe, or Moxie Espinoza must reflect the full diversity of Tejas.

Like I said, interesting read. So, are you going to change your desriptions, and if so, how?

you can just give them names that reflect their race even in a middle name if it need be or they could drop a word in their language in a sentence and if describing someone like a tasty coffee house treat almond could still be appropriate if everyone else there described in such terms, its all to do with context.

pondering it,  

change skin from a mocha latte to medium tan?  medium tan hardly sounds worth reading.
    he has puppy brown eyes, is it insensitive to the puppies

i've always tried to keep descriptions in the frame of reference of the character, always fun in sffi
    Described the Elf with ears like a Vulcan, made mee laugh was cryin

Mistara said:

pondering it,  

change skin from a mocha latte to medium tan?  medium tan hardly sounds worth reading.
    he has puppy brown eyes, is it insensitive to the puppies

i've always tried to keep descriptions in the frame of reference of the character, always fun in sffi
    Described the Elf with ears like a Vulcan, made mee laugh was cryin

he was a tasty muffin topped with almond eyes irises like raisins, a warm moist cinnamon you just wanted to sample

edited May 2018

Well I consider the following over the top, but it is generally considered excellent writing.

John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces

“A green hunting cap squeezed the top of the fleshy balloon of a head. The green earflaps, full of large ears and uncut hair and the fine bristles that grew in the ears themselves, stuck out on either side like turn signals indicating two directions at once. Full, pursed lips protruded beneath the bushy black moustache and, at their corners, sank into little folds filled with disapproval and potato chip crumbs. In the shadow under the green visor of the cap Ignatius J. Reilly’s supercilious blue and yellow eyes looked down upon the other people waiting under the clock at the D.H. Holmes department store, studying the crowd of people for signs of bad taste in dress. Several of the outfits, Ignatius noticed, were new enough and expensive enough to be properly considered offenses against taste and decency. Possession of anything new or expensive only reflected a person’s lack of theology and geometry; it could even cast doubts upon one’s soul.”

Post edited by Diomede on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

FlashGarcia wrote ::

I would like them to add much larger navigation camera controls,

you can use ALT and click drag along with the left/right mouse buttons and scroll wheel,. in your scene to move around with the camera's 

Use the Directors Camera to move around your scene, and if you find a nice camera angle, save that camera position,. then you can Jump to that saved position with any other camera,

you can save multiple camera positions, and create multiple cameras,. each of those positions can be used by your main camera.

Carrara will rotate around whatever object you currenty have selected,. ..and that can be used to move around the scene quickly , once you get the hang of selecting different oblects and swinging around them.

If you select any object in your scene and Hit 0 (zero) Carrara will move the camera to frame that object,. you may need to back out a wee bit ..Alt +left click +pull back mouse.

Hope it helps :)

• 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited May 2018
    3DAGE said:

FlashGarcia wrote ::

I would like them to add much larger navigation camera controls,

If you mean the 'gimble' you grab to move/scale/rotate objects go to preferences /3d View and adjust the ' 3d control slider  - I use 20%

Post edited by 0oseven on

a dimensiontheory tutt shows a camera parented to a 'centerpoint'

is limited to the z axis

doesnt show how he set it up

ohh when using spherical camera, make the width twice the verical

i dont understand the preview render camera, when saving obj to tray

i;m saving the goose to carrara, framing his head in production frame, 

it wont save the preview thumb of the production frame, thumb is defaulting to whole obj ?