OsoDreamer's FelineFolk

Comments

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,375
    edited February 2020

Just having a go at this. I wasn't sure I was going to get it at first sight, but man am I glad I did!  Lots of playing around with mixes and poses and what.

Meet Felina.

FS_Felina_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 176K
    Post edited by Gogger on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

Can you do some manimal German Shepherd, Dalmations, Saint Bernards, English Bulldogs, Chihauhuas, and other 'famous types' of working class dogs?

Or a cartoonized for those breeds?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715
    Gogger said:

Just having a go at this. I wasn't sure I was going to get it at first sight, but man am I glad I did!  Lots of playing around with mixes and poses and what.

Meet Felina.

Bloody hell! This is good.

• WOW. I'm blown away Gogger.  That kind of looks like my cat when when i've forgotten their fish snacks... haha. (proud co-habitor with 2 gorgeous black panther cats)

• CryphiusCryphius Posts: 64
    edited February 2020

The whiskers dont render for me for some reason. When applied the dforce hair lines cover the whole head in the viewpoert but nothing renders.

Post edited by Cryphius on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

I think I remember reading, dforce hair only works in a final render, not a viewport using dforce preview.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,966

It's possible to set up dForce Hair such that it looks in viewport much like it appears in final render. But doing so usually means the viewport is then burdened and there are other issues, which is why I don't set it up that way. Sorry!

And Gogger... wow! One of my big thrills with doing this work is seeing people enjoying my products and making amazing renders like that.

Nonesuch: I have loads of ideas. I would like to do some more canines at some point, beyond my Pugman. I enjoy the sort of mix of realism and fantasy you can see in Otter, Pugman, and FelineFolk... somewhat realistic but still having human character, able to smile and shout and so on; other people have different styles with anthros, so there are options out there.

• Love all the Antros and glad you mix to keep the expressiveness available. Per my name my request would be for bears! There have been several other products released over time but nothing decent to use as my "spokesbear" and do some basic animation. 

I have most of your products and love them.

And Happy Birthday,too!

• I am aware dforce hair doenst appear in iray mode in the viewport, There must be something wrong with my setup or files because the whiskers refuse to come up on the final render

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 664
    edited February 2020

Got it yesterday and played a little with this today. Had a wierd glitch with the fur, but I think that was caused by me trying to import some of the Anatomy features onto the already existing figure. After clearing it all out and restarting, and NOT repeating what I had done, it looks clean.

I have a lot of stuff for G8, so things like setting the hands to 4-finger and feet to 4-toed worked (although I had to adjust their maximum values to well over 100%). I also found a leonine tail tuft, adjusted the base colors of one of Oso's provided textures, and now I'm getting very close to a passable M'Ress! I just need to find a decent leonine-like mane to put on her (actually trying to use a lion's mane ended up as a barfable exercise--I'm certain I could've made it work if that particular prop had working scaling dials).

Unfortunately, my boss (the wife) came by and I had to shut DAZ down before I could render a picture of my progress. Looking good, so far.

Hey, Redfern! Where'd you get that mane you're using for your avatar?? cheeky

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593

From a Tallahassee based store closed for some years now simply called the Magic and Fun Ahoppe.  Basically, it's a Tina Turnner type cosplay wig that just fits over my scalp like any other fashion hairpiece.  I purchased a second which I carefully separated from the elastic webbing that fits upon the skull.  Discarding the webbing, I was left with many long "cords" that had the copper browm polymer based "hair" fibers extruding from them.  I cut several of the cords to a desired length and then hot glued thm to the outermost edges of the "slush casr" mask.  I glued about three layers to form "lynx" type sideburns that would blend with the unaltered wig and hide the otherwise abrupt edges of the mask.  (I didn't attempt to thin "feather" those edges , but instead wored it like an opera mask secured by a thick band of elastic rthaer than makeup glue (such as spirit gum).  This allowed me to whip off the mask in a moments notice and take maybe 30 second to fit upon my face.

I feel confident costume suplly shops, both brick and mortar and online sell sell that iconic design, even if it's been some 25 years since I purchased mine.

Sincerely,

Bill

Long winded suggestion:

dForce Hair has two basic modes for the shader: Root Radius, and Target Surface.

Root Radius pretty much is WYSIWYG; guide hairs are the hairs. You can add more hairs sort of as clones around the guide hairs (that's the 'root radius' element) and change the points per hair, but otherwise... it's set.

Target Surface, on the the other hand, ties a variety of useful maps to the UV map of the parent figure. This gives you an enormous ability to ... well, mess with how the hair is distributed, scaling, and so on.

Root Radius is generally what you see with human hairs, because it's the easiest way to take hairs created in some other application (like Zbrush Fibermesh) and translating it to dForce Hair. It offers more precise layout of hairs.

Target Surface works best with the strand editor. It's my approach of choice, because I can more easily create presets that adjust lots of elements of the hair.

Soooo why am I saying all this? Because this gives you the opportunity to tweak the hair a lot. For example, lion's mane? Well, make a copy of the maps in PR Generated Hair Scale. You can paint in more white in the lower jaws and upper neck part of the torso (taking this into a 3d paint program would be the best way to do this, but mucking about in Photoshop might work well enough). You may want to adjust the maps darker so there's more 'room' to vary fur length (that is, essentially scale most of the fur down so you can have more dramatic extremes).

As it is, the default scaling gives a bit of a ruff around the jaws.

For the tail, same thing; make the tip scale map more white, maybe scale everything else darker.

For the tail tip, if you want to get super fancy, maybe try playing with Clumping (which pulls the hair together)

• Oso3D said:

Long winded suggestion:

dForce Hair has two basic modes for the shader: Root Radius, and Target Surface.

Root Radius pretty much is WYSIWYG; guide hairs are the hairs. You can add more hairs sort of as clones around the guide hairs (that's the 'root radius' element) and change the points per hair, but otherwise... it's set.

Target Surface, on the the other hand, ties a variety of useful maps to the UV map of the parent figure. This gives you an enormous ability to ... well, mess with how the hair is distributed, scaling, and so on.

Root Radius is generally what you see with human hairs, because it's the easiest way to take hairs created in some other application (like Zbrush Fibermesh) and translating it to dForce Hair. It offers more precise layout of hairs.

Target Surface works best with the strand editor. It's my approach of choice, because I can more easily create presets that adjust lots of elements of the hair.

Soooo why am I saying all this? Because this gives you the opportunity to tweak the hair a lot. For example, lion's mane? Well, make a copy of the maps in PR Generated Hair Scale. You can paint in more white in the lower jaws and upper neck part of the torso (taking this into a 3d paint program would be the best way to do this, but mucking about in Photoshop might work well enough). You may want to adjust the maps darker so there's more 'room' to vary fur length (that is, essentially scale most of the fur down so you can have more dramatic extremes).

As it is, the default scaling gives a bit of a ruff around the jaws.

For the tail, same thing; make the tip scale map more white, maybe scale everything else darker.

For the tail tip, if you want to get super fancy, maybe try playing with Clumping (which pulls the hair together)

Hi Oso,

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to get into the editor to do any of what you're talking about.

Looking around, I can't find anything that will allow me to edit the fur layout on her or figure out where I need to go with any of these....

OsoFelineF-EditTab-EditStrandHair.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 467K
    OsoFelineF-EditTab-Figure-Geometry-dForceSurfaceAdjuster.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 452K
    OsoFelineF-EditTab-Object-EditGaribaldiHair.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 470K
    OsoFelineF-ToolsTab-GeometryEditor.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 522K
  • More of the search for something relevant...

OsoFelineF-ToolsTab-GeometryEditor=Active.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 500K
    OsoFelineF-ToolsTab-NodeWeightMapBrush.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 494K
    OsoFelineF-ToolsTab-NodeWeightMapBrush=active.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 478K
    OsoFelineF-WindowsTab-Panes(Tabs)=Options.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 591K
    OsoFelineF-WindowsTab-Panes(Tabs)=dFormerWindow.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 573K
  • Redfern said:

From a Tallahassee based store closed for some years now simply called the Magic and Fun Ahoppe.  Basically, it's a Tina Turnner type cosplay wig that just fits over my scalp like any other fashion hairpiece.  I purchased a second which I carefully separated from the elastic webbing that fits upon the skull.  Discarding the webbing, I was left with many long "cords" that had the copper browm polymer based "hair" fibers extruding from them.  I cut several of the cords to a desired length and then hot glued thm to the outermost edges of the "slush casr" mask.  I glued about three layers to form "lynx" type sideburns that would blend with the unaltered wig and hide the otherwise abrupt edges of the mask.  (I didn't attempt to thin "feather" those edges , but instead wored it like an opera mask secured by a thick band of elastic rthaer than makeup glue (such as spirit gum).  This allowed me to whip off the mask in a moments notice and take maybe 30 second to fit upon my face.

I feel confident costume suplly shops, both brick and mortar and online sell sell that iconic design, even if it's been some 25 years since I purchased mine.

Sincerely,

Bill

Oh, I was hoping that was a CGI prop you found for DAZ or Poser. blush

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,593
    Redfern said:

Sincerely,

Bill

Oh, I was hoping that was a CGI prop you found for DAZ or Poser. blush

Sorry, that's actually me in costume and makeup when I regularly attended Dragon*Con (an Atlanta based multi genre convention) during the 1990s and early 2000s.

Sincerely,

Bill

Ryuu: Editing image maps isn't something you can do in Daz Studio. You need to find the actual image maps and open them in a photo editor (after making a copy!)

• Oso,

Can you explain the difference between the options under Materials, vs OsoFur and Skin?

The options under Materials are intended for use with standard figure with dForce Hair. It's a Hierarchical material, which will change the figure's materials, the tail, and the fur on each.

OsoFur materials are intended if you are using FelineFolk OsoFurred. It does basically the same thing, but it will change the geoshell with OsoFur on it, not dForce Hair.

Finally, Skin only affects the figure and tail, not any fur attached to it. (This might be convenient if you want to experiment with different fur and skin combinations)

• CryphiusCryphius Posts: 64
    edited February 2020
    Oso3D said:

The options under Materials are intended for use with standard figure with dForce Hair. It's a Hierarchical material, which will change the figure's materials, the tail, and the fur on each.

OsoFur materials are intended if you are using FelineFolk OsoFurred. It does basically the same thing, but it will change the geoshell with OsoFur on it, not dForce Hair.

Finally, Skin only affects the figure and tail, not any fur attached to it. (This might be convenient if you want to experiment with different fur and skin combinations)

Thank you much for elaborating. 

Oh, I deleted the full body non-dforce-fur geoshell after messing with it too much and wanted to reset. Where can i add that back? It seems the only way to get it back ot re-add the actor?

Post edited by Cryphius on

A new actor is the easiest way. You could add a geoshell but there are visibility settings and so on.

• PipefoxPipefox Posts: 113

I'm having a lot of fun with this product, it's beautiful! I'd really love it if there was an expansion set that included textures for lions, tigers, panther and leopards in the future.

Thank you for creating this!

• Oso3D said:

Materials> Iray> Feminie> OsoDreamer's FelineFok for G8F> THESE MATERIALS

If you go into the Skins subfolder, it will ONLY affect the figure skin and not the fur.

That said, there seems to be a specific issue with Ginger Tabby. Hmm

Fantastic product! Thank you. Have you already made a fix for the Ginger Tabby fur (it renders as solid gray) and if so how do we get/apply the fix? Do we need to uninstall/re-install the product through DIM?

When the fix is in it should then appear in DIM and it will appear next time you go to DIM.

• Oso3D said:

When the fix is in it should then appear in DIM and it will appear next time you go to DIM.

Excellent! Many thanks! Love the product!

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 664
    edited February 2020
    Oso3D said:

Ryuu: Editing image maps isn't something you can do in Daz Studio. You need to find the actual image maps and open them in a photo editor (after making a copy!)

Okay. I did find the files, and tried to use GIMP on them, but I couldn't see any changes.

I did see some decent results for making M'Ress using your character and Will Dupre's mane from his Catgirl Genesis...

Not exactly Starfleet issue, but the colors availble for the cocktail dress matches up with TOS standards. cheeky

Oso3D said:

And I thought I was having another problem when I couldn't get your OsoFur to take the material map you supplied or react to her dress...

....but then I saw your quote above about the fur not currently taking the maps--ah! So, no problem then laugh

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • burdenadburdenad Posts: 33
    edited March 2020

So I saw in my DIM that OSO3D put out the patch to fix issue where the Tabby fur renders as gray fur. I downloaded and installed the patch through DIM, restarted DS, but the issue persists. The patch seems to have had zero impact on the issue.

At first I thought maybe I was accidentally applying the OSOFur by mistake, but I have tried it multiple times and was very careful to select only the Materials>Iray>Feminine>OsoDreamer FF Ginger Tabby H.Material (MDL). Oddly, when applying this fur it also applies the Tabby skin apparently, which I had not noticed before (maybe it did?). I have tried applying the material with the Genesis 8 Female (this is what the actual FF figure is named) selected in the Scene tab as well as directly to the OsoDreamer FF Female Fur under that. Nothing seems to work. 

Any help sorting out how to actually get Tabby fur to render would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Post edited by burdenad on

Might seem a silly question, but are you rendering in Iray?

Other silly question, are you sure you installed the update? If you ARE rendering in Iray and it's still showing gray, try uninstalling and reinstalling.

I've just checked, uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure the live version is what I'm using, checked again, and it shows fine to me.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

Khajiit is not happy

https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/images/952841

The hair width was reduced to 0.12 root and 0.08 tip

density was increased from 400 to 2000 and anything not seen by the camera was hidden so that it would be easier to render

• burdenadburdenad Posts: 33
    edited March 2020
    Oso3D said:

Might seem a silly question, but are you rendering in Iray?

Other silly question, are you sure you installed the update? If you ARE rendering in Iray and it's still showing gray, try uninstalling and reinstalling.

I've just checked, uninstalled and reinstalled to make sure the live version is what I'm using, checked again, and it shows fine to me.

Not silly questions at all becuase those would indeed be a problem.. :) But yes, I am rendering in Iray and I installed it via DIM (DIM is set to automatically install after download). I will try to uninstall and then re-install the whole product though. Maybe that will do the trick....

Edit: I uninstalled and re-installed the product and that fixed the problem. Before uninstalling I did notice an option after right-clicking the product in Smart Content that said "Install Update". I chose to completely uninstall it instead and get a clean download, but the presence of that option makes me wonder if DIM doesn't actually install the patch and just downloads it without installing it? That would be kind of strange (and counter-intuitive) if that is the case, considering what DIM stands for...

In any case, thanks OSO3D! All is good now! Great work and great product!

Post edited by burdenad on