Carrara Challenge # 51 - Here There Be Dragons! Folk/Fairy Tales WIP thread - Brilliant Images

Comments

• Bunyip02 said:

Are they all grumpy because they've been sent to work in their 'Sunday Best' clothes and don't want to get their clothes dirty? Great image!

• Diomede said:

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall...

Started modeling a toon head.  I create ovals for the eyes and mouth first.  Then I join them with a nose.  Then I extend the model out from these most detailed portions.

Great modelling technique. I must have a go at a face... one day laugh

• Varsel said:

Every Fairy Tale needs a Queen...

<>

Very regal and dignified pose!

• This one is titled Loki

Love the colours, composition; but hat the shadows that the mallet is casting - does the image look better if you turn of 'cast shadows' for the mallet?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,130

FENgari said:
    Diomede said:

Mirror, Mirror, on the Wall...

Started modeling a toon head.  I create ovals for the eyes and mouth first.  Then I join them with a nose.  Then I extend the model out from these most detailed portions.

Great modelling technique. I must have a go at a face... one day laugh

Thanks.  

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,967

thanks Ted and FENgari et Stezza.

Ted thanks for the step by step, love your fidelity to edge loops.

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,235

Headwax - your images are so intensely classical - wish I had 1/100th of the talent you possess in your pinkie...

Bunyip02 said:

Not so Little Red Riding Hood

Nice Bunyip - nice enhanced lighting in the 'post worked' render - brought out some nice hidden details.

Not an entry, I just like joining in

20m hair does not like to drape, I had to style it

Awesome(!), 20m hair!!

simply titled ~ Greta

Beautiful image Stezza - looks like a movie poster

Bunyip02 said:

More scene fillers added - think this might do !

Another great image Bunyip...yeah, kind of looks like everyone got unceremoniously kicked out at 6:00 am...laugh

Varsel said:

Every Fairy Tale needs a Queen...

So I am experimenting with creating new textures for : https://www.daz3d.com/arthurian-outfit-for-genesis-2-female-s

Beautiful textures Varsel!

Diomede said:

Concept Update - 

I will keep experimenting with the piece, but I've settled on the concept.  Technology eliminates the magic mirror's job.  Pretty dark.

Awesome concept, and thanks again for the workflow. I like 'dark'.  yes

I think Yogi & Boo Boo got their stories mixed up!

The Picnic Basket

Ha ha - I love it

Mystarra said:

the old shoe house

was trying to get the shoe house balcony in the shot angel

Mystarra - I love it, great start. I love the colors! Butterfly with heart antennas!!

Not By The Hair Of My Chinny Chin-Chin!

Great image UnifiedBrain - I really like the lghting. Looks like The Wolf is gonna get blasted in the...ummm...wink

Diomede said:

John Henry update.

Looks like another great image cooking along diomede. I like the composition. It looks like part of an early twentieth century mural.

Diomede said:

The tale of Pecos Bill and Slue-Footed Sue just cries out for cartoons.  Had to look up what slue-footed means.  It means that a person's feet point outwards, the opposite of pidgeon-toed.

Super cool and intertesting technique/approach diomede. Thanks for sharing.

edited February 2020

I changed my mind and am going to do an image based on "The Moth and the Star" by Thurber.

Well, was leaning towards "The Unicorn in the Garden" but it might be too much to finish, so going with a simpler concept for the moment.

To summarize: "A young and impressionable moth" goes out night after night trying to reach a certain star. His aggrieved parents hassle him for being impractical. "You don't get anywhere chasing stars," says the moth's father. He is later chided for not having any burn marks - all his sisters and brothers have been scorched by lamps. (lol) The moth lives a long, long life. His parents and siblings died at an early age by being burnt to death flying around all those street lamps and house lights.

Started modeling the young moth - total WIP

Edited to add: lots of edits

star_moth_001.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 91K
    star_moth_vertex_001.jpg
    1217 x 935 - 183K
    Post edited by DesertDude on
  • Stezza, Headwax, FENgari, DesertDude - thanks for comments on the pig/cannon render!

A lot of cool images so far.

DesertDude - a great looking toon moth!

pleasure UB

thanks for the kind comment Desert Dude - wonderful moth, cute character - just th e right ingredients of eye balls, head size etc

edited February 2020

started on a witch today - used a normal map, bit of displacement mapp, the warts are courtesy of a replicator, face is v4 wiuth some custom morphs

included is unpostworked image 

postworked with affinity photo and nik filters (free)

fair bit of work cleaning up the eyes 

i screwed up with the post work on the warts should have belnede them in more - the b and w has no warts (click for big to see warts and all :)

i made the normal map by exporting the uv map and smearing (finger thingy in photoshop) some of the lines in the pattern, then used shader map program to make a normal and displacement map from the results

finally worked out that the volume primitifes render pass can be used to select the hair and copy and paste it onto the diffuse pass

witchface1wip.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 2M
    witchface1.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 1M
    witchfacenowarts_Diffuse2.jpg
    2000 x 2000 - 709K
    Post edited by Headwax on
    edited February 2020

Thanks Headwax and UnifiedBrain for the nice comments.

Headwax - that witch is looking pretty scary. Awesome.

Post edited by DesertDude on
  • Nice witch, HW!  I agree, the warts look a bit flat.

Headwax said:
    i made the normal map by exporting the uv map and smearing (finger thingy in photoshop) some of the lines in the pattern, then used shader map program to make a normal and displacement map from the results

In what program can you make normal maps?

Headwax said:

finally worked out that the volume primitifes render pass can be used to select the hair and copy and paste it onto the diffuse pass

Fascinating.

Headwax said:

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited February 2020

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

I'm staying the course and sticking to semi-traditional fairy tale characters.  In a way it's kind of liberating to not worry about coming up with clever alternatives.  The goal is to achieve an illustrated "look," although that obviously means many things to many people.

The pigs are once again versions of Frankie at Rendo.  Frankie is a wonderful character.  He is both familiar and strange. :)

The wolf is a blimp courtesy of Philemo.  The instruments and trees are Carrara native objects (except the big trunks which are the Morphing Tree Trunks).  The house is A Curious Chapel, modified a bit in the modeling room.  Flowers are the daisies recently offered as freebies to PC members.

Carrara elements include text, clouds, trees, hair, and terrain.  Lighting is distant, bulb, glow and aura.  The only other light is 10% ambient.  The GMIC filter is Lylejk.

No postwork.

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf.png
    1700 x 1133 - 3M
    Who's Afraid Carrara setup.PNG
    1645 x 987 - 2M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

Lighting is distant, bulb, glow and aura.

I really like that style UnifiedBrain. Those colors are real punchy.

Is the glow and aura contributing to that nice glowing sky in the background? And if so, how? I see the bulb in your screen shot, but am confused how the glow and aura are being used. Thanks

• Thanks DesertDude!

Yes, glow and aura do contribute to the sky glow, but not directly. 

I discovered in the last Challenge that you can light objects entirely without using any lights.  Instead, you activate the shader glow channel, and activate aura in the efects tab. (Aura won't work without some degree of glow channel)

The tree leaf areas and the mountains all have glow in the shader and aura in the effects.  When they interact with the sky via the Lylejk filter, you get a glowing effect.  The clouds tend to do this naturally.

The sky itself is a colored plane with a heavily bumped texture map.  The filter reacts differently to different textures, but it tends to work better (more interesting) with heavier textures.  So, some of the glow effect in the sky is just the heavy texture interacting with the distant light.

Another object in the scene with glow and aura is the terrain the pigs are standing on.  The aura actually does much of the lighting of the grass (hair).

Speaking of hair, I didn't use opacity maps to create the pathway.  It's easier to just "mow the grass" on a plane covered with hair, by using the hair removal tool. :)

Carrara is a marvel.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

“If you believe,” he shouted to them, “clap your hands; don’t let Tink die.”

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

very clever uses of glow @unifiedbrain

thinking outside the box for sure yes

Headwax said:

started on a witch today - used a normal map, bit of displacement mapp, the warts are courtesy of a replicator, face is v4 wiuth some custom morphs

included is unpostworked image 

postworked with affinity photo and nik filters (free)

fair bit of work cleaning up the eyes 

i screwed up with the post work on the warts should have belnede them in more - the b and w has no warts (click for big to see warts and all :)

cool looking ol' hag @headwax

but I'm not taken by the hair... seems to be too much for an old haggered witch and the wrong colour for me.... maybe I watched too much Supernatural! yes

edited February 2020

The Celts legend of the Kelpie goes back many a year.
    It is believed before the devil was thrown out of paradise by God
    that he ( the Kelpie ) left behind his bagpipes known as the Dragoons.

On a cool autumn eve at sunset when the breeze whistles through
    the trees and over the waters Loch you may hear the beconing call of the dragoon looking for a lass
    as it takes flight in the hope of bringing it's owner from the depths of hell back to mother earth.

Lucy's BagPipes

Lucy's BagPipes.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on

Thanks Headwax and UnifiedBrain for the nice comments.

Headwax - that witch is looking pretty scary. Awesome.

Thanks! She even scared me

, and thanks too UB,

I made the normals with Shader Map 4, free for non commercial use but there is probably quite a few floating around in netland :)

And thanks Stezza, yep the hair was a striuggle and came out too clean - she needs some dry leaves :)

Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?

I'm staying the course and sticking to semi-traditional fairy tale characters.  In a way it's kind of liberating to not worry about coming up with clever alternatives.  The goal is to achieve an illustrated "look," although that obviously means many things to many people.

The pigs are once again versions of Frankie at Rendo.  Frankie is a wonderful character.  He is both familiar and strange. :)

The wolf is a blimp courtesy of Philemo.  The instruments and trees are Carrara native objects (except the big trunks which are the Morphing Tree Trunks).  The house is A Curious Chapel, modified a bit in the modeling room.  Flowers are the daisies recently offered as freebies to PC members.

Carrara elements include text, clouds, trees, hair, and terrain.  Lighting is distant, bulb, glow and aura.  The only other light is 10% ambient.  The GMIC filter is Lylejk.

No postwork.

wow what a great render!! the poses of the pigs and that path really are highlights - thanks for sharing the secret technique :)

The Celts legend of the Kelpie goes back many a year.
    It is believed before the devil was thrown out of paradise by God
    that he ( the Kelpie ) left behind his bagpipes known as the Dragoons.

On a cool autumn eve at sunset when the breeze whistles through
    the trees and over the waters Loch you may hear the beconing call of the dragoon looking for a lass
    as it takes flight in the hope of bringing it's owner from the depths of hell back to mother earth.

Lucy's BagPipes

ha ha I laughed aloud at the bagpipes ship - you and Ted crack me up

Mystarra said:

“If you believe,” he shouted to them, “clap your hands; don’t let Tink die.”

great reminder on Mr Pan thanks !

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited February 2020

The Troll under the bridge.

There were three goats that wanted to go the pastures in the mountain. But when they came to the bridge, there where a troll living under it, and he wanted to eat them.

The first , and smallest goat went first.

"No I am comming to eat you !" the troll said.

"No, no. You dont want to eat me. I am small and skinny. Wait for my brother. He is bigger and fatter." said the goat.

"Alright, you can pass" said the troll.

But the second goat was also small and skinny, or so he said.....

And the third goat : He was big and strong, so he headbutted the troll back into the river, for never to be seen again.

Doc2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Doc2b.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Varsel on

terrific effect Varsel - and I like the story - care to elucidate on the post work so I can steal your technique ? :)

Varsel said:

The Troll under the bridge.

There were three goats that wanted to go the pastures in the mountain. But when they came to the bridge, there where a troll living under it, and he wanted to eat them.

The first , and smallest goat went first.

"No I am comming to eat you !" the troll said.

"No, no. You dont want to eat me. I am small and skinny. Wait for my brother. He is bigger and fatter." said the goat.

"Alright, you can pass" said the troll.

But the second goat was also small and skinny, or so he said.....

And the third goat : He was big and strong, so he headbutted the troll back into the river, for never to be seen again.

wow.. I had forgotten about this story since like forever.... I must of been about 5 or 6 years old the last time I heard it... yes

edited February 2020

the Pied Piper didn't realise the size of the rats!

modeled the flute as I see someone asked for one in the commons... I thought that will do for the challenge devil

Pied Piper.png
    800 x 600 - 665K
    Post edited by Stezza on

very Alice Cooper - that's a mean rat, must be the one that chewed through my internet cable last night!

bugger.. a possum ate all the missuses plants on the decking last week... not happy Jan lol

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited February 2020

Here is the mandatory setup picture.

My postwork using Corel Photopaint :

first applied an effect to make it like a canvas.

Then converted to greyscale (8-bit) and converted back to RGB color (24-bit)

And finaly, adjusted the Temperatur, tint and saturation untill I got a colour I liked..

Setup.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 883K
    Post edited by Varsel on