Carrara Challenge # 51 - Here There Be Dragons! Folk/Fairy Tales WIP thread - Brilliant Images

Comments

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 8,379

Cbird - Foxy tail looks exquisite !!!

Stezza - Tin soldier might need a bazooka for that monster rat, excellent Jiminy render

Headwax - Wabbit better watch out for that hunter named Elmer Fudd, frog man start is great

Diomede - loom render is superb, 3 witches is making great progress - looking forward to the finished render

Varsel - mirror on the wall looks wicked

Wendy - love your animations

Desert dude - admire your patience on rigging the moth

Misty - hope you get five entries done !

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2020

Sorry for limited responses.  Leaving a lot out.

I'm learning a new web page design software.  Not sure I will have time to work on another render.  But the Challenge theme is awesome.

Headwax said:

Classic!

Cbird said:

Very cool style!

Jiminy

Classic again!

Diomede said:

The more I start to use Carrara hair, the more obvious it is - because of your posts - that I need to download Philemo's hair plugin.  The characters are very witchy! yes

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,967
    edited March 2020

thanks for the comments Stezza and Ted and El Bunyip et UB :)  and thanks for the headsup Bunyip02 - that cyclorama looks handy

good luck with the web design UB - I've done two with Wix and it was pretty simple 

eg https://www.mrhugoball.com/

Post edited by Headwax on
    edited March 2020

Here's a Pied Piper - though he is not so pied.

Morphed M4 a little, gave him stubby legs, used some free Carrara shaders for the cloths after retexturing

for the base that I deitributed the rats on I used the Polyline modeller to get a sinusiodal thing happening

there are about 8 different rats (poses) though they kind of get lost - haze from using depth pass 

I isolated the shadows with a shadow pass and added a little mauve to them

This guy is the result of me trying to morph m4 into a badger and a rat - at least I learnt how to do a full body morph so I can drag the eyes head and face around all at the same time

I'll post the badger pic later

image is 4000 wide if you click

unpostworked image attached 

cheers 

widerversion1.jpg
    1732 x 1191 - 2M
    rats2wider_Color.jpg
    2000 x 1427 - 2M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,057

that's a lot of rats yes

edited March 2020

yes too many :) we have one less in our house this morning though

eyebrows and silly beard by carrara hair - flute by me - holes from transmap as easier than boolean

Untitled-1.jpg
    706 x 586 - 240K
    Headwax said:

Here's a Pied Piper - though he is not so pied.

Morphed M4 a little, gave him stubby legs, used some free Carrara shaders for the cloths after retexturing

for the base that I deitributed the rats on I used the Polyline modeller to get a sinusiodal thing happening

there are about 8 different rats (poses) though they kind of get lost - haze from using depth pass 

I isolated the shadows with a shadow pass and added a little mauve to them

This guy is the result of me trying to morph m4 into a badger and a rat - at least I learnt how to do a full body morph so I can drag the eyes head and face around all at the same time

I'll post the badger pic later

image is 4000 wide if you click

unpostworked image attached 

cheers 

Superb !!!

thanks! it was fun - I did two versions will post t'other later = cheers from here

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited March 2020

Here is the final... with the setup.

The apples in the basket, I used physics and dropped the apples into the basket. Then exported the result as an .obj file.

For the mirror I gave a Genesis figure a face expression, and exported him out as an .obj. Then into Hexagon and created the mirror. I tried to do it in Carrara, but it kept crashing on me when I deleted parts of the genesis object, so Hexagon to the rescue...

The original goal for the dress was to make it look silky and light. Not sure if I succeeded, but after a lot of trials I did manage to get a shader that I think looks cool. This is something I am going to investigate more.

Doc4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 759K
    Setup.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 622K
    Apples.jpg
    1133 x 1054 - 446K
    Mirror.jpg
    1633 x 1080 - 464K
    shader.jpg
    1007 x 953 - 334K
    Post edited by Varsel on
    Headwax said:

Extraordinary render!  Thanks for sharing the details.

Varsel said:
    The original goal for the dress was to make it look silky and light. Not sure if I succeeded, but after a lot of trials I did manage to get a shader that I think looks cool. This is something I am going to investigate more.

Hey Varsel, the dress looks more like velvet to me.  But whatever you used, the effect is very nice.yes

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,130

Most excellent updates, Headwax and Varsel.  Piper man much better than setting traps, as long as you pay him his due!  Apple lady great lighting on the face.  Basket looks spooky.  Well done.

Thanks Bunyip Ted and UB :) Varsel that's a terrific image lots going on that dress fabric looks like fresnel effect if you have seen Holly's tutorials? https://carraracafe.com/10-reasons-you-need-a-falloff-shader/

edited March 2020

Here's the frog prince, whereas the frog rescues the princess'es Golden Ball from a pond and his reward is to get thrown against a door ... er no to sleep on her pillow...

another 4000 pixel image

notes - used object pass to isolate elements - painted that ring at the meniscus of the water and added frog's reflection, used a depth pass to make the background lighter, painted out that tree branche above the woman's head

used topaz simplify topaz impression and Affinity photo to tone map it on several occasions during the process , probably also used the colour image over a black and white image to get a bit more punch (the b and w had been tone mapped too)

unpostworked image and black and white tonemapped image 

prepost

princeshighcontrastblackandwhites.jpg
    2000 x 2498 - 4M
    princess.jpg
    2000 x 2498 - 4M

Update the first post with: 

AWARDS AND DATES

The AWARDS are in four parts ($50, $50, $50, $45) 1) total participation (total votes per artist) 2) best render (total votes for one image) 3) most original interpretation (as voted by Daz public) and 4) best 'newcomer' (someone who hasn't won a prize before - as an encouragement).

Entry thread opens around the 12th March (Daz Time) and closes at the end of 25th March Daz Time. 

if anyone has difficulties with these dates please let me know!

FrogPrince - yesyes

Will budget my time as per the dates.  

thanks Ted :)

edited March 2020

Here's the Badger from the Wind in The Willows - a kind of fairytale 

m4 morph i spent all day making gah - another 4000 pixel job if you click

version straight out of oven i rendered the chap on a shadow caster plane - had to morph inject the clothes in poser so they would bend around his gut - not sure how to do this in carrara without making custom morphs

Badgerwithtea.jpg
    2000 x 2333 - 750K
    Diomede said:

FrogPrince - yesyes

Will budget my time as per the dates.  

Add another thumbs up yeswink

Headwax said:

version straight out of oven i rendered the chap on a shadow caster plane - had to morph inject the clothes in poser so they would bend around his gut - not sure how to do this in carrara without making custom morphs

Looking great !

Headwax said:

Another stunner!  Wind in the Willows is a great book.  You have done the character justice.

thankyou Bunyipo2 et UB - I should read Wind in The willows - I had fun looking for references that other artists have made

edited March 2020

Not familiar with the character, but looks fantastic.

What would a fairytale thread be without a spinning wheel?  Had a go at modeling and UVMapping a very simple vintage spinning wheel.  Default wood texture applied, with purple thread.

yy03 spinning wheel default wood shader.jpg
    800 x 600 - 33K
    yy01 spinning wheel.png
    1127 x 947 - 357K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,996

James would be happy with that Jenny yes

thanks Ted, wonderfully clean spinning wheel - looks like a shop bought one :)

how did you do the thread?

SZtezza, you had me there had to google gah gah that one

thanks, Stezza and Headwax

for the thread, I duplicated the outer wheel and the outer spool, deleted the side facing each other, and then bridged the duplicate wheel to the duplicate spool. Increased scale to 101 and added thickness.

Headwax said:

AWARDS AND DATES

The AWARDS are in four parts ($50, $50, $50, $45) 1) total participation (total votes per artist) 2) best render (total votes for one image) 3) most original interpretation (as voted by Daz public) and 4) best 'newcomer' (someone who hasn't won a prize before - as an encouragement).

Entry thread opens around the 12th March (Daz Time) and closes at the end of 25th March Daz Time. 

Thanks for the data!  Almost done with the website, so I may be able to get another render in.

Diomede said:

thanks, Stezza and Headwax

for the thread, I duplicated the outer wheel and the outer spool, deleted the side facing each other, and then bridged the duplicate wheel to the duplicate spool. Increased scale to 101 and added thickness.

Thanks Ted it's very effective!

Headwax said:

AWARDS AND DATES

Thanks for the data!  Almost done with the website, so I may be able to get another render in.

Great news Ub looking forward to another of your high quality works!

edited March 2020

Snow White with a Songbird.

Another simple scene.  The figure is G2F.  I have an old snow white outfit for G2F and Carrara hair style that I had made.  Songbird is from Daz store.

I rendered the base scene.  Then I took the base render and put it in the backdrop.  I did an NPR render from the base render in the backdrop.  

In image editor, multiplied the NPR on to the base render.

witch set

snow02 g with NPR multiply.jpg
    655 x 800 - 327K
    snow02 j base scene beauty pass.jpg
    1502 x 1006 - 199K
    snow02 h setup put beauty in background then npr.jpg
    1538 x 1022 - 324K
    snow02 i npr settings.jpg
    1840 x 965 - 394K
    zip
    zip
    set witch mar20 car zip.zip